Trump Calls for an End to the Birthright Citizenship.

Open or closed borders?
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Among the many ridiculous things this bombastic buffoon has said lately is that he would like to end the birthright citizenship part of the US Constitution so that people who have children in America can't become citizens.

He's also like to deport all 20 million illegal immigrants, then let the "good ones" back in. He, of course would decide who the good ones are.

Strangely, he leads the polls....is America getting more stupid?:-2
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Saint_;1484335 wrote: ........................is America getting more stupid?:-2

Not just America, it's an epidemic.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Saint_;1484335 wrote: Among the many ridiculous things this bombastic buffoon has said lately is that he would like to end the birthright citizenship part of the US Constitution so that people who have children in America can't become citizens.

He's also like to deport all 20 million illegal immigrants, then let the "good ones" back in. He, of course would decide who the good ones are.

Strangely, he leads the polls....is America getting more stupid?:-2

Minor point on that. I am sure you meant the part about children born in the US don't automatically become citizens.

I believe that is what I read from his rant on immigration.

I think it is more about the stupidity of polls than any actual popularity of this buffoon.

I got a call from one of the pollsters, and they way they ask the question, I suspect many respondents just give the first name that comes to mind.

And Trump is definitely getting the most press these days, so his name is going to pop up a lot.

I sure hope I am right about that.

Bruv;1484341 wrote: Not just America, it's an epidemic.

Yup. it seems that stupidity is contagious.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Well, one good thing came out of Trump's surge in the polls -- I finally got off my butt and renewed my passport (just in case).

I'm not very worried about the crazy stuff he says. It is the season where each of the clown car candidates try to prove that they are more right-wingy than the others to get the nomination. I consider Trump to be a little less dangerous than a few of the others. And I must admit that it is mildly amusing to watch the others rush to sound even more right-wingy that whatever Trump said that day.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Wandrin;1484345 wrote: I consider Trump to be a little less dangerous than a few of the others.

Blimey......gawd help us all
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I confess that I hold a little fascination for where all this will take us.

I think Americans need to think much more deeply about the impact their vote for the members of Congress from their districts will have on the future, than the impact of their vote for President.

If we continue to elect idiots to congress, we will continue this downhill slide.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1484350 wrote: I confess that I hold a little fascination for where all this will take us.

I think Americans need to think much more deeply about the impact their vote for the members of Congress from their districts will have on the future, than the impact of their vote for President.

If we continue to elect idiots to congress, we will continue this downhill slide.

Despite an approval rating of 10-15% for Congress, the rate for re-electing the same jerks ranges between 80-95%. It is amazing to me. The only reason I can think of is that either the voters think that everyone else in Congress except their guy is the problem, or they are so lazy that they just vote for the familiar name. Neither possibility has good implications for our future.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Trump can trump all he wants but he needs a constitutional amendment, something many Americans Are Too Stupid to understand.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

"Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin

I consider Trump to be a little less dangerous than a few of the others.

Bruv: Blimey......gawd help us all"

He is less dangerous. He doesn't believe most of what he is saying. That's what his friends, like Bill Clinton & Howard Stern, say.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I think Trump is just enjoying all the publicity he has been getting lately. No, I don't take him seriously.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

along-for-the-ride;1484367 wrote: I think Trump is just enjoying all the publicity he has been getting lately. No, I don't take him seriously.

He's probably more surprised than anyone! ; > )
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I think Trump is funny. what a joke really.:wah:

Where did this running for Pres. idea come from for Trump?

Is it that he's been in the public eye for his T.V. Show that he thinks he can springboard right to the White House?

What a joke.

Trump has never lived without money - he certainly knows how to spend it.:thinking:

he can't possibly relate to the majority - living pay check to pay check.

The press follows him because he's so loose with his mouth - loose cannon. :wah: He's just a entertaining joke to me.

Patsy
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Donald started running since the '80's. Like Mike Bloomberg, he used to be a Democrat. In 1999 (or '98) Donald denounced Republican party.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

At least Trump doesn't want to turn the country into a theocracy, like some of the candidates.

One thing that I actually like about his candidacy is that he is getting digs in against those who grovel at the feel of the Koch brothers, Adelson, and the other billionaire power brokers. He has called these candidates puppets on a few occasions. Trump is actually helping to show how ridiculous the SCOTUS decision to hand the election process over the oligarchs really was. Perhaps some people will actually see the problem, so we can begin fixing it.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Wandrin

The digs are funny - some are OMG:yh_rotfl did he really say that?

I suppose the fact he's so blunt & not politically correct cracks me up.

and some of the blunt talk is fact, & the press loves it.

Patsy
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I am amused that Bush and Walker expected to coast for awhile, trotting out their well-scripted lines and spend most of their effort attacking Hillary. Instead, nearly every time they take a question from citizens or the media they are asked to respond to something Trump said. The campaign staff of all of the other Republican candidates has to have people listening/reading everything Trump says and concocting a new script for their guy that is adjusted accordingly. They are constantly playing catch-up to whatever ridiculous thing Trump says.

I am also amused at the thought of those same candidates having to walk back most of those extreme positions if they happen to get the nomination, so they can appear more "moderate" in the general election.

Come to think of it, I'm also amused that no one is paying much attention to Ted Cruz, since he's not the craziest one in the clown car anymore. :D
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

AnneBoleyn;1484362 wrote: Trump can trump all he wants but he needs a constitutional amendment, something many Americans Are Too Stupid to understand.Not meaning to split hairs, but he would need to REMOVE a constitutional amendment, which the president has no authority to do.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Natural birth within the country has always defined citizenship. It is an accepted point of international law.

The 14th Amendment clarified the concept for the constitution.

To make such a change would require a new Amendment to the Constitution. Such amendments are not easy to accomplish.

The new amendment would need to specifically define what would, and what would not constitute citizenship.

It would not be an easy task, and would meet some fairly tough resistance.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Mark Aspam;1484393 wrote: Not meaning to split hairs, but he would need to REMOVE a constitutional amendment, which the president has no authority to do.

Split hairs, please Mark, I have learned much from you. The procedure, though, would be the same, would it not?
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I don't think Trump, or any of the other candidates, is really serious about repealing the 14th amendment. I think they are just using the old political strategy of scapegoating. When voters are frustrated or angry, give them a focus for that anger that is far away from the parties and institutions you want to protect. In this case, where people are frustrated with income inequality, low wages, high prices, and high taxes -- blame the immigrants. Tell them that the immigrants are taking the jobs, sucking up tax money, and making the streets unsafe, to avoid having anyone blame Wall St, endless wars, or big corporations. It's all the fault of the immigrants and everyone should be angry about that (and not look behind the curtain).

The same strategy has been used before in countless other elections. It's just a matter of finding the right scapegoat.

I really don't think any of the candidates really thinks that they could actually pull off a repeal of the 14th amendment.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

One big problem for Trump and the other Republicans talking about repealing the 14th amendment is that all of the court cases granting the rights of citizens to corporations are based on that amendment and specifically reference it. The big money donors and the folks pulling the strings for the politicians really do not want to open that can of worms.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The 14th Amendment is not about just citizenship, and repealing it would not solve their problem.

It has been the legal stance of the United States, and every other nation, that any person born within the jurisdiction of the United States is a citizen of the United States, regardless of the nationality of parents.

The only way they could change this is through a new constitutional Amendment stating otherwise, and the details must be spelled out.

I do not foresee these idjits being able to form a Constitutional Convention that could come up with that kind of reasoning.

For the record, the 14th Amendment:

SECTION. 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

SECTION. 2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice-President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.

SECTION. 3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

SECTION. 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

SECTION. 5. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.
- DH Lawrence
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

30,000 turn out for Donald Trump's Alabama pep rally - CNNPolitics.com
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Time magazine's cover this week. There is a superstition that to get on the cover in a campaign is to lose right after that. Hillary's email flap started right after her cover. (The one depicting her with horns!)

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

One can but hope.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

along-for-the-ride;1484602 wrote: 30,000 turn out for Donald Trump's Alabama pep rally - CNNPolitics.com

We're busted! Leaked Ashley Madison data shows Alabama leads nation in infidelity

"Remember all that stuff about Alabama being among the most conservative states in the country? Well...

An analysis of leaked Ashley Madison data by scientist Jake Popham shows Alabama is the least faithful state in the country, at least when it comes to how much money people spent on the extramarital dating site. Alabama comes in first on the list......"

We're busted! Leaked Ashley Madison data shows Alabama leads nation in infidelity | AL.com

I can clearly see a connection.................
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Alabama.......The Bible Belt......mmmmm!!
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv;1484721 wrote: Alabama.......The Bible Belt......mmmmm!!

Makes sense to me! Hypocrites.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

The prophesy came true! Remember when all the bible-thumpin' preachers warned us that if gay marriage became legal it would destroy "traditional marriage"? It looks like they were right! I'm sure that no one in Alabama joined Ashley Madison until after the supreme court decision, and after that they were just doing what their preacher told them. :wah:
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

David Duke, former Grand Wizard of the KKK has officially endorsed Trump. "He understands the real sentiment of America," Duke said.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

QUOTE Wandrin: [ David Duke, former Grand Wizard of the KKK has officially endorsed Trump. He understands the real sentiment of America, Duke said.]

I suspect the "Dirty Tricks Brigade" are active here ? What do you think ?
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

G#Gill;1484877 wrote:

I suspect the "Dirty Tricks Brigade" are active here ? What do you think ?

I'm not sure, but I could see how Tump's nativist, immigrant bashing, misogynist, rhetoric is somewhat in line with what I've heard and read about the KKK.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Saint_;1484335 wrote: Among the many ridiculous things this bombastic buffoon has said lately is that he would like to end the birthright citizenship part of the US Constitution so that people who have children in America can't become citizens.
Come on, be honest. He speaks of the “anchor baby” to illegal immigrants. A child can’t be deported and who has all rights to the usual services accorded to all citizens. It is a frustration when the government does not secure the border.

Saint_;1484335 wrote: He's also like to deport all 20 million illegal immigrants, then let the "good ones" back in. He, of course, would decide who the good ones are.
You seem to anticipate a commentary by George Will

Trump evidently plans to deport almost 10 percent of California’s workers and 13 percent of that state’s K-12 students. He is, however, at his most Republican when he honors family values: He proposes to deport intact families, including children who are citizens. “We have to keep the families together,” he says, “but they have to go.” Trump would deport everyone, then “have an expedited way of getting them [“the good ones”; “when somebody is terrific”] back.” Big Brother government will identify the “good” and “terrific” from among the wretched refuse of other teeming shores.

Saint_;1484335 wrote: Strangely, he leads the polls....is America getting more stupid?-2

No

Just looking for another savor, like the last one.

He has hit on a hot button as well he should, but all he has is rhetoric, no real answers.

Somebody should smash his mirror.

My frustration is nobody in the press will go challenge him.

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Wandrin;1484887 wrote: I'm not sure, but I could see how Tump's nativist, immigrant bashing, misogynist, rhetoric is somewhat in line with what I've heard and read about the KKK.

I struggle to trust 'money men' at any time. There are probably some good 'uns, I just haven't seen any yet!

Or oil-men. They seem to have a similar mentality to drug-dealers.
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1484350 wrote: I confess that I hold a little fascination for where all this will take us.

Think of it, who else does one have to vote for?

So we have term limits, great. So you get another representative of the same stripe [party] as your districts is already subject to Gerrymandering

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Smaug;1484891 wrote: I struggle to trust 'money men' at any time. There are probably some good 'uns, I just haven't seen any yet!

Or oil-men. They seem to have a similar mentality to drug-dealers.

I feel the same way. It is interesting to me that Trump is, in a way, playing on this. He has repeatedly called those who kiss up to the billionaires for campaign contributions as "puppets" and asked whether someone who is bought and paid for by the rich power brokers can be trusted. Personally, I have difficulty trusting any of them. I'm sure that they will always do what is best (for them).
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Wandrin;1484895 wrote: I feel the same way. It is interesting to me that Trump is, in a way, playing on this. He has repeatedly called those who kiss up to the billionaires for campaign contributions as "puppets" and asked whether someone who is bought and paid for by the rich power brokers can be trusted. Personally, I have difficulty trusting any of them. I'm sure that they will always do what is best (for them).

That's why they are where they are, stinking rich and morally bankrupt. All these people need is a line of heads to step on to cross the river, so-to-speak.
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

tude dog;1484888 wrote: Come on, be honest. He speaks of the “anchor baby” to illegal immigrants. A child can’t be deported and who has all rights to the usual services accorded to all citizens. It is a frustration when the government does not secure the border.

You seem to anticipate a commentary by George Will

No

Just looking for another savor, like the last one.

He has hit on a hot button as well he should, but all he has is rhetoric, no real answers.

Somebody should smash his mirror.

My frustration is nobody in the press will go challenge him.

Like the cartoon, tudedog! Says it all for me.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1484892 wrote: Think of it, who else does one have to vote for?

So we have term limits, great. So you get another representative of the same stripe [party] as your districts is already subject to Gerrymandering

We should take a lesson from the recent Hugo Awards.

Most of the categories had a "No Award" option.

In several categories, "No Award" won the voting.

A "None of the Above" should be an option in the primary/Caucus in each state, and even, perhaps, at the actual election.

If "None of the Above" gets a majority vote, then all candidates are sent home and a new call for nominees is made. None of the losers from the previous vote may be nominated.

Also, all primary and Caucuses should be held within the same two-month period in the beginning of the election year.
- DH Lawrence
minks

Post by minks »

Oh Good Lord!

Can you just imagine Trump at the dinner table of some of these global assemblies. Sitting across from some Muslim leader.

As for the stupidity of the nation, we have our own red neck, pro white, big mouth here named Kevin O'Leary. Seems he has voiced interest in following Trump and leading Canada down the merry trail.

Don't get me wrong I am all about preserving my country and culture but seriously the buffoonery of Trump and O'Leary is quite embarrassing IMHO
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

minks;1498346 wrote: Oh Good Lord!

Can you just imagine Trump at the dinner table of some of these global assemblies. Sitting across from some Muslim leader.

As for the stupidity of the nation, we have our own red neck, pro white, big mouth here named Kevin O'Leary. Seems he has voiced interest in following Trump and leading Canada down the merry trail.

Don't get me wrong I am all about preserving my country and culture but seriously the buffoonery of Trump and O'Leary is quite embarrassing IMHO

It seems like you have a reasonable PM though. At least my friends in BC seem to think so.
gmc

Post by gmc »

It's getting like we are all having a contest to see who has the most ridiculous politicians. I think trump is in the lead though and it looks like we are about to get a fascist prime minister that nobody has elected.
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

Saint_;1484335 wrote: Strangely, he leads the polls....is America getting more stupid?:-2He is trailing in every one I've seen - but I might be missing something. Can you specify a poll in which he's leading as of today, July 8?
gmc

Post by gmc »

Mark Aspam;1498399 wrote: He is trailing in every one I've seen - but I might be missing something. Can you specify a poll in which he's leading as of today, July 8?

I meant first in the most ridiculous politician contest.
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

gmc;1498418 wrote: I meant first in the most ridiculous politician contest.Fair enough. Here are some recent polls, courtesy of the internet. I have no reason to believe that any of these are in any way slanted:

Saturday July 2 - Gravis Clinton 50, Trump 48 Clinton +2

Monday July 4th - USA Today/Suffolk Clinton 46, Trump 40 Clinton +6

Wednesday July 6th - Economist/YouGov Clinton 47, Trump 42 Clinton +5

Thursday July 7th - Pew Research Clinton 51, Trump 42 Clinton +9

Note that Pew, regarded by many as the most reliable, gives Clinton the biggest lead.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Mark Aspam;1498399 wrote: He is trailing in every one I've seen - but I might be missing something. Can you specify a poll in which he's leading as of today, July 8?

Actually, he was leading back when I posted this. But he is still leading in the Republican polls. As a matter of fact, he won it! So a large section of america is definitely getting more stupid.

Return to “Immigration”