Magna Carta

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Magna Carta

Post by gmc »

So I see Cameron is joining in on the commenorations.

David Cameron pledges lessons on Magna Carta as he seeks to push 'British values' - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

Now he plans tp scrap the human rights act. Can't have the peasants thinking they have rights now can we.

This British bill of rights could end the UK | Philippe Sands | Comment is free | The Guardian

That said, Martin Howe QC produced a draft bill which gives a frightening hint of what some may have in mind: he proposes that the rights of any individual would depend on whether they were a British citizen (full fundamental rights), an EU national (fewer rights) or a foreigner (even fewer rights). Such an approach is inconsistent with the very notion of fundamental human rights, in which every human being has basic minimum rights.

Couldn't make it up could you.
FourPart

Magna Carta

Post by FourPart »

I imagine he wants to do away with "No Taxation Without Representation" as well. That way he can tax people as much as he likes, and they won't be able to do anything as he'd take away the right to vote.
Smaug

Magna Carta

Post by Smaug »

Well, is it full steam ahead to industrial dictatorship? Cons elected on 28% of the vote, yet insisting any strike action polls 40% before being legal. Squeeze on wages since 2008. Preponderance of agency/zero hours contracts. Proposed abolition of the human rights act. CPS and Police running out of control, with little or no accountability. TTIP being rammed through. Corporate empowerment.

No effective opposition in Westminster, so "make hay while the sun shines" may be the motto.

And we're just letting it happen....

Never ceases to amaze me how readily we trade freedom for lack of responsibility!

Well, I've had my whinge for today, I guess...
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
FourPart

Magna Carta

Post by FourPart »

Smaug;1480599 wrote: Well, is it full steam ahead to industrial dictatorship? Cons elected on 28% of the vote, yet insisting any strike action polls 40% before being legal. Squeeze on wages since 2008. Preponderance of agency/zero hours contracts. Proposed abolition of the human rights act. CPS and Police running out of control, with little or no accountability. TTIP being rammed through. Corporate empowerment.

No effective opposition in Westminster, so "make hay while the sun shines" may be the motto.

And we're just letting it happen....

Never ceases to amaze me how readily we trade freedom for lack of responsibility!

Well, I've had my whinge for today, I guess...

To say nothing about overturning laws made during Labour's reign regarding Fox Hunting, because of it being a predominantly Tory pastime.
Smaug

Magna Carta

Post by Smaug »

FourPart;1480796 wrote: To say nothing about overturning laws made during Labour's reign regarding Fox Hunting, because of it being a predominantly Tory pastime.

Apparently there are enquiries ongoing into fox-cubs being DELIBERATELY captured or bred to satisfy clandestine hunting with hounds. No obvious connection between upper-crust tory voters and their sycophants "needs", and this elitist tory government, then?

Sucks, doesn't it? Toadies, sell-souls, gluttons and panderers all!!
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
spot

Magna Carta

Post by spot »

Even the British children's channel joined in commemorating the 800th anniversary of the signing of Magna Carta, I'll find a link...

Go on, admit it, that's pretty good.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Magna Carta

Post by magentaflame »

I love horrible histories. But capitalism is the new king. Nobody under any capitalist democracy is really equal. And we only have a capitalist system because america was deemed to have won the cold war,

Hows that working for ya so far? ......its good to be the king!
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!

Return to “United Kingdom”