Dizziness Numbness of the Tongue

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1476319 wrote: Tell you what I'll do .... I'll publicly kiss your ass if you can link or quote an offence I've made to that person - that I have mentioned anything about measures I've taken with regards that person - that I've introduced a confrontation, or an interest in a tit-for-tat game of one-upmanship - or expressed a willingness to introduce, retaliate or in any way have insulted the person in question. I can tell you straight up that you will come out looking an idiot, although it looks to me that you've already achieved that honour by your above statement.

Dude. Chill.

I am one of your friends.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1476326 wrote: Dude. Chill.

I am one of your friends.
That's a comfort. Be that as it may, you did say that I made public my personal matters as it pertains this person, against whom some would not only like to pit me, but who actually believe the fight is already in progress. So, if you can direct me (and the good folk at FG) to the point at which I expressed, instigated or hoisted the flag in this supposed battle, then now is the time to do it. If you cannot quote or link my words to that effect (and I am speaking to everyone now) then it might be a good idea to stop this childishness. I refuse to be held hostage by someone's attention-whoring.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1476336 wrote: That's a comfort. Be that as it may, you did say that I made public my personal matters as it pertains this person, against whom some would not only like to pit me, but who actually believe the fight is already in progress. So, if you can direct me (and the good folk at FG) to the point at which I expressed, instigated or hoisted the flag in this supposed battle, then now is the time to do it. If you cannot quote or link my words to that effect (and I am speaking to everyone now) then it might be a good idea to stop this childishness. I refuse to be held hostage by someone's attention-whoring.

All I can say is that you started this thread, and now you complain that whatever is being discussed is somewhat personal. I dunno. I think you're making much too much of what I perceived as harmless banter.

And that is all I have to say about the matter. Do carry on as you see fit.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1476322 wrote: Myself is okay. I don't think Mr. T. is a bastard, btw, just very sensitive & not easily forgiving. Not much different from the rest of the human race. It bothers me only because this is a small forum, & gets in the way of dialogue.
It is just an expression, over stated for affect.......not meant literally.

It can only get in the way of dialogue if we let it........that is what us Brits call the Royal 'we', but works either way.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1476340 wrote: All I can say is that you started this thread, and now you complain that whatever is being discussed is somewhat personal. I dunno. I think you're making much too much of what I perceived as harmless banter.

And that is all I have to say about the matter. Do carry on as you see fit.
This thread is about my illness. Do I need to explain my comlaint?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1476342 wrote: This thread is about my illness. Do I need to explain my comlaint?

Not to me.

I am no longer interested.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

It always puzzles me how Americans insist on spelling Electro Cardiogram with a 'K' (EKG).
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1476355 wrote: It always puzzles me how Americans insist on spelling Electro Cardiogram with a 'K' (EKG).

I've kinda wondered that, myself.

Though I didn't know it was an American thing.
- DH Lawrence
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1476355 wrote: It always puzzles me how Americans insist on spelling Electro Cardiogram with a 'K' (EKG).
I thought everyone round the world called it EKG, from what I assume is a German invention, similar to the plural of “ox” which has nothing to do with English.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

High Threshold;1476386 wrote: I thought everyone round the world called it EKG, from what I assume is a German invention, similar to the plural of “ox” which has nothing to do with English.
The plural of Ox is Oxen (or Cattle). I don't quite see the relevance.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1476386 wrote: I thought everyone round the world called it EKG, from what I assume is a German invention, similar to the plural of “ox” which has nothing to do with English.

Thanks for clearing that up. I had wondered about that. The ElektroKardioGram, then.
- DH Lawrence
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1476387 wrote: The plural of Ox is Oxen (or Cattle). I don't quite see the relevance.
Adding “en” to form the plural isn't really an English language thing to do. In this case “oxen” is the plural of “ox” in German.
spot

Post by spot »

High Threshold;1476390 wrote: Adding “en” to form the plural isn't really an English language thing to do. In this case “oxen” is the plural of “ox” in German.

The roots of English are very firmly embedded in Old German, I'm not sure who you think the Anglo-Saxons were.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

spot;1476417 wrote: The roots of English are very firmly embedded in Old German, I'm not sure who you think the Anglo-Saxons were.

Hardly the point. The German “Oxen” is an accepted plural despite it being very rare. But perhaps you can enlighten us on how many “en” plurals there are in the English language and then I'll keep my mouth shut. The only reason I brought it up is because EKG is also accepted in the English language despite Kardio not being the English spelling. Of course if you want to give us a lesson on the history of the English language then I'll just leave you to it.

Ps. Would you like for me to tell you who I think the Anglo-Saxons were?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I've checked through as many posts as possible and can find no post by HT that says he has put AnneBoleyn on 'Ignore', or any posts which have been less than polite to her, so it seems that it is AnneBoleyn who has announced that HT has put her on 'Ignore', and if she had said nothing then nobody else would have been any the wiser. This, therefore, seems to make it a one-way rant by AB and I can understand why there is anger from HT, as he is the innocent party and is not involved, in fact, in what AB is saying. I, innocently, was only trying to get things back to status quo, and I have obviously failed miserably by getting my facts wrong. I am sorry to all those who have been affected by my interfering. particularly HT. It wasn't meant to cause such distress to anybody. I hope that can be an end to it all.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

G#Gill;1476422 wrote: I've checked through as many posts as possible and can find no post by HT that says he has put AnneBoleyn on 'Ignore', or any posts which have been less than polite to her, so it seems that it is AnneBoleyn who has announced that HT has put her on 'Ignore', and if she had said nothing then nobody else would have been any the wiser. This, therefore, seems to make it a one-way rant by AB and I can understand why there is anger from HT, as he is the innocent party and is not involved, in fact, in what AB is saying. I, innocently, was only trying to get things back to status quo, and I have obviously failed miserably by getting my facts wrong. I am sorry to all those who have been affected by my interfering. particularly HT. It wasn't meant to cause such distress to anybody. I hope that can be an end to it all.

From the thread 'Oscar & Peter', all quotes by HT. It is I whom he is referring to, when I answered, you will see ME:

"I agree with you. The “ignore” function isn't as much as a silent punishment for the antagonist as it is a measure of insurance that you won't be subjected to “the last drop” and give it back in kind. It helps you to maintain your own integrity at a time when you feel your limits are nearing. I have been compelled to place only one person on that list - and I feel liberated."

My reply: "It's me. HT is still pissed off over Jane Fonda. He also dropped me from his friend's list. We used to share many a confidence, & his stubborn attitude has hurt my feelings & I cringe when I see his name. As I have said many times, most people Never Forgive. The fact that he has mentioned this twice already, the Ignore I mean, & his "liberation" just shows me I was wrong about him & he is a very nasty man. And why twice? A need to rub it in? To belittle & hurt a person hurt enough by life already? Thank goodness this is only a message board."

"I agree with you. The problem arises when someone you trust (others are irrelevant) has broken your trust and/or insulted you without due cause. Once is OK but more than that is not. I'm not American and I don't play baseball. I give 2 strikes …. then they're out. I don't need responsibility if there is no appreciation. If misery loves company then they'll have to find someone else to share it with"

Originally Posted by FourPart View Post

I thought the Ignore function was just to protect from Private Messages.

"Ha-ha! No. I affords FULL protection."

Me: "Since I am obviously a better person on the Human Being scale (you may call me HighER Threshold) I will be Ignoring your Ignore. I am also a more forgiving, understanding, compassionate friend. I have apologized, but only 2 times so I'm out. That's not my truth in my world. I'll share your misery (not that I ever gave you any to grieve over except a misunderstanding) because that's what a friend shows, Strength. It takes a strong person to be mature, not childish; you break, I bend. You obviously put great trust in me, I failed you and came crashing down from the pedestal you placed me on. I'm only a human being, afterall.

You see, sometimes something interesting you say wants my comments, my input, my opinions. Since I'm ignored, you won't see it, but others will & I'm hoping if it is provocative enough, others will have the necessary gumption to give me the courtesy of a comment or answer.

Don't be afraid, I promise never to offend your delicate feelings again, mamselle. I'll walk on eggshells, I'm graceful enough to do that."

"In addition to what Betty Boop says about “choosing to be bothered about it... or not” the button spares you from reverting to “closing your eyes, putting your fingers in your ears and singing la la la” - and it also cuts the page down half so you can get on to input you think worthy of your attention, rather than skimming through.

NOTE. It needn't be someone you dislike who needs to be obscured. I mean, let's say that an old school chum has become such an alcoholic that he sits on the same corner every day, half-conscious, and you've already tried to help him out, to no avail. He doesn't want to be helped. Would you want to see him daily on his collision course with self-destruction? The ignore button can function as “taking another route”."

"That is certainly true. But what if the views you were at odds with were not political but personal, agressive and/or slanderous sort? Would you feel the same way about risking missing the fluffy ones?

Let's keep it straight. We are discussing the merits (or lack of) the "ignore function". Are you really saying that dissimilar veiws on political opinion is the worst it can get?"

ME: "His aim was not to ignore me---it was to TELL ME he is ignoring me, or else he would not have mentioned it twice! in 2 separate threads. Draw your own conclusions, mine is "passive-aggressive." "

"Well yes, but a BAN is for the benefit of the whole forum, as perceived by admin of course. IGNORE is an independent benefit, as perceived by the individual, naturally.

I agree with you 100% that differences in political opinion or motivation is much too a minor thing to put someone on “ignore”, especially when that person is appreciated on other subjects … as you say. Who wouldn't agree with you? But I still maintain that the “ignore function” is a blessing for other circumstances. Perhaps we agree on that point as well, and I've only misunderstood you?

What I do not agree with is your own spin on the metaphor: Ignoring a drunk (particularly if you know him personally) is NOT to just pretend a/the/his problem doesn't exist. There are tons of reasons why one might want to ignore a drunk, none (of which I have in mind) would indicate denying or pretending a/the/his problem does not exist.

And then there is the personal or general antagonist, chip-on-the shoulder, stalker, troll, whatever. To put him on “ignore” is a wise thing to do, I'd say …. or do you feel ignoring your own personal antagonist is to pretend such people do not exist? Surely not."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can find the other thread I referred to, but I'd rather not bother. You participated in this thread Gill, giggling about the whole thing.

Looks like you failed miserably again. Maybe it's your alte kaka showing.

You said: " so it seems that it is AnneBoleyn who has announced that HT has put her on 'Ignore', and if she had said nothing then nobody else would have been any the wiser. This, therefore, seems to make it a one-way rant by AB "

I don't like that, and there is no reason for me to be quiet. I don't want to be quiet. Maybe YOU should be quiet & stop wetting your panties over this nasty man. We have discussed this privately already, yet YOU are going public. This is a small forum. To write what he has written is totally disrespectful to me.

Seems also that this is your one-way rant, Gillie, olde girl. Since you took it upon yourself to write this post which was not necessary except to [offensive text removed], I do not have pleasant feelings for you right now. In other words, [offensive text removed], thank you very much.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

No one would have noticed, Gillie, in this tiny place that my responding comments would be ignored? I have NOTHING to be ashamed of that this man put me on ignore. Quite frankly, by speaking up, I was showing his true colors & character to the tiny bunch of folks who are still here. He is the one who should be ashamed, that he is a nasty man, a disloyal friend, a fair-weather friend, and, by constantly using huge bold letters in his posts as well as constant sarcasm, an attention WHORE, which is what he called me, without mentioning my name of course. If you're saying "duhhh, no one would notice" then you are saying this small group is composed of morons. If the shoe fits, Gillie, maybe giggling you wouldn't notice, but others would.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I noticed Gillie the Brave, that you feel the need to report the post. Little girl, running to mama for help & justification. Can't stand up on your own it seems. "AB is BAD! She's not nice like HT! She's like Oscar, says mean things to me! I'll show Her! I'll REPORT AB & HAVE THIS PUT ON HER PERMANENT RECORD! BAN HER, BAN THE WITCH!"
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Enough of this, please!! This started with an innocent topic, and has somehow degenerated into an extremely unpleasant fight. I'm not sure at what point it all started. I don't really care. But all these posts are totally out of order & have no place here. I'm not taking sides here. The blame, as far as I can see is equally placed. Now, all of you, get your acts together, grow up & if you can't settle your differences civilly, don't bother & just let it lie & rise above it.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Thank you FourPart.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I agree with Gill (gasp), your words are welcoming, 4Part.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1476438 wrote: I agree with Gill (gasp), your words are welcoming, 4Part.

I am agreeing with FourPart too, if we can all agree maybe peace can breakout again.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv;1476439 wrote: I am agreeing with FourPart too, if we can all agree maybe peace can breakout again.

No, Gill already PM'd me that she will not be forgiving in this instance. You always judge others by your own outstanding self, Bruv. So glad there is You in the world.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1476422 wrote: I've checked through as many posts as possible and can find no post by HT that says he has put AnneBoleyn on 'Ignore', or any posts which have been less than polite to her, so it seems that it is AnneBoleyn who has announced that HT has put her on 'Ignore', and if she had said nothing then nobody else would have been any the wiser.
Yes, it is true, I have never said that I have put anyone on this forum on ignore status. And I am not admitting to anything of the sort now either. Not that it is something to be ashamed of, just a bit too personal and unnecessary to flush out another person with no other benefit than to draw lines in the sand and encourage people to chose sides. No thanks.

G#Gill;1476422 wrote: I, innocently, was only trying to get things back to status quo, and I have obviously failed miserably by getting my facts wrong. I am sorry to all those who have been affected by my interfering. particularly HT. It wasn't meant to cause such distress to anybody. I hope that can be an end to it all.
Forget it. Your input cannot be construed as less than very well meant by any standard or measure. To be perfectly honest, I do not understand what the problem is. I do not feel any stress or bad feelings. Let us hope that you are right, that this will be an end to whatever problem is being imagined. :)

And YES! I am feeling somewhat better now. I do not remember if I already told you but I went to hospital that same evening. They did not think that I was having a stroke, but they did warn me for future reference to rush back if I ever I feel half of my face, or body go goofy.

And while I am on the subject of things “goofy” you may have noticed that I am using no “contractions” this session. It happens now and then that I suddenly lose those functions from my keyboard. Clearly I have hit some combination of keys but I do not know what they are. I always have to shut down the computer and start it up again ….. or write in this tedious fashion. You do not happen to know how to get back the normal function, do you_ Oh Christ even the question mark is missing! :(
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

High Threshold;1476441 wrote: And while I am on the subject of things “goofy” you may have noticed that I am using no “contractions” this session. It happens now and then that I suddenly lose those functions from my keyboard. Clearly I have hit some combination of keys but I do not know what they are. I always have to shut down the computer and start it up again ….. or write in this tedious fashion. You do not happen to know how to get back the normal function, do you_ Oh Christ even the question mark is missing! :(
You might try checking your System Locale.

Control Panel / Region & Language - Administrative Tab, then "Change System Locale" to the country of your choice.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1476445 wrote: You might try checking your System Locale.

Control Panel / Region & Language - Administrative Tab, then "Change System Locale" to the country of your choice.

Thank you. I am convinced there is a standard, key combination that I am inadvertently hitting with fingers racing faster than my head. I don't know the term for them. "Shortcuts"? You know, A+Ctrl will put you in the whatever mode. That must be what I am doing wrong. I think. :thinking:
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

You could always try a System Restore to a point when it was working ok.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1476465 wrote: You could always try a System Restore to a point when it was working ok.

A-ha! You mean that blue spiral arrow thingy? An excellent idea! I'll have to remember that! Thanks!
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

High Threshold;1476468 wrote: A-ha! You mean that blue spiral arrow thingy? An excellent idea! I'll have to remember that! Thanks!
No - that's Refresh. I mean System Restore.

In your Start / Search Programs & Files section type "Restore". It will bring up "System Restore". Open that & follow the instructions. If there are multiple Restore Points available to you, choose the one before when it first started playing up - or even the one before that.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1476504 wrote: No - that's Refresh. I mean System Restore.

In your Start / Search Programs & Files section type "Restore". It will bring up "System Restore". Open that & follow the instructions. If there are multiple Restore Points available to you, choose the one before when it first started playing up - or even the one before that.
Thank you, but doesn't that take as much time as it takes to restart?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

FourPart;1476504 wrote: No - that's Refresh. I mean System Restore.

By doing this, you will delete any saved items since the date you have picked to restore back to.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

System restore also relies on you already having it enabled, to start with and that it has saved restore points.
- DH Lawrence
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

I must tell you the truth, this System restore thing sounds very complicated to me. It is clear (is it not?) that I am triggering the problem by hitting the wrong key(s). Wouldn't it be better to discovery what those keys are and then just trigger them back again?
spot

Post by spot »

Back when computing was intelligible, keys was all there was. None of this touch the screen nonsense. No rodent. All you had to do was learn the keystrokes and there you were, you were there. Then that damned GUI showed up.

I have no explicit system restore option. If I wish to restore my system I restore it from an archive, either in whole or in part.

Have any of you a particularly good reason for bonking around with a Microsoft operating system in the first place?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

spot;1476517 wrote: ..... Have any of you a particularly good reason for bonking around with a Microsoft operating system in the first place?
If you are referring to me playing about with a computer (of any sort) then I must answer, no I haven't. I'm like the idiot who owns a McLaren but doesn't know where the petrol filler is and for some reason has never learned.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Have you checked the internet for keyboard shortcuts & hotkeys ? Also keyboard diagnostics/calibrations ? Make sure that it is the correct site for your particular Windows Package e.g. Windows 7, Windows 8. It may be something that you did some while ago to upset things.

One time I held my shift key down for quite a while, without realising what it was doing ! I discovered that I had activated 'Sticky Keys' inadvertently (which meant that the next time I pressed, for example, the letter A just once briefly there would be hordes of AAAAAAAAAs racing across the screen ! :yh_rotfl ). Realising what I'd done, I could reverse the situation.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1476513 wrote: I must tell you the truth, this System restore thing sounds very complicated to me. It is clear (is it not?) that I am triggering the problem by hitting the wrong key(s). Wouldn't it be better to discovery what those keys are and then just trigger them back again?

Yup. of course. Though that would require someone looking over your shoulder, or for you to simply slow down, and be mindful of what you are doing to trigger the problem.

I understand, your dilemma. I have often experienced an event where suddenly the cursor moves to a complete other line, or even other text window, and I am editing something which I had not intended.

It only happens when I am doing something very quickly, and not actually looking at the screen.

I am sure that I just hit a odd key that caused it. But still no idea which key.
- DH Lawrence
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1476524 wrote: Yup. of course. Though that would require someone looking over your shoulder, or for you to simply slow down, and be mindful of what you are doing to trigger the problem.

I understand, your dilemma. I have often experienced an event where suddenly the cursor moves to a complete other line, or even other text window, and I am editing something which I had not intended.

It only happens when I am doing something very quickly, and not actually looking at the screen.

I am sure that I just hit a odd key that caused it. But still no idea which key.
You understand my problem perfectly. I learned the keyboard back in the very early 60's, banging (hard) on the manual Remington. We were given good marks for both speed and accuracy. I was top of the class. Then came the electric with "touch typing". Jesus! Mistakes left and right. And now this ......... :yh_cow
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1476523 wrote: Have you checked the internet for keyboard shortcuts & hotkeys ? Also keyboard diagnostics/calibrations ? Make sure that it is the correct site for your particular Windows Package e.g. Windows 7, Windows 8. ......
I certainly will give it a try but what's the bet I'll not understand a thing.

POST EDIT. Hmmmmm, here's one:

Windows logo key* Windows logo key+spacebar > Switch input language and keyboard layout

Could it be?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1476527 wrote: I certainly will give it a try but what's the bet I'll not understand a thing.

POST EDIT. Hmmmmm, here's one:

Windows logo key* Windows logo key+spacebar > Switch input language and keyboard layout

Could it be?

Possible

Time to test
- DH Lawrence
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1476528 wrote: Possible

Time to test
I'll be needing a stiff drink first. "Olga! Break out the Slivovica!"
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

VERY ODD! Nope, that ain't it! Holding both down I can then choose between the languages I once programmed to be available – but the choices are flashing like a strobe show and no chance to actually click on one of them. I couldn't possible have clicked on that even if I'd wanted to.
spot

Post by spot »

High Threshold;1476521 wrote: [quote=spot]Have any of you a particularly good reason for bonking around with a Microsoft operating system in the first place?If you are referring to me playing about with a computer (of any sort) then I must answer, no I haven't.[/QUOTE]I was referring to anyone in this thread bonking around with a Microsoft operating system. You appear to be having a problem with a Microsoft operating system, though I can't guess which one. On any hardware, your problem would be the same if you were using the same Microsoft operating system (unless your hardware is faulty, which I doubt).
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

spot;1476537 wrote: I was referring to anyone in this thread bonking around with a Microsoft operating system. You appear to be having a problem with a Microsoft operating system, though I can't guess which one. On any hardware, your problem would be the same if you were using the same Microsoft operating system (unless your hardware is faulty, which I doubt).
I agree that the solution is surely simple and that there is nothing wrong with my hardware. My problem is clearly a lack of fundamental understanding of equipment. I'm not a computer person but I'm stuck in a computer world. I need to be strapped down and force-taught a few lessons.
spot

Post by spot »

High Threshold;1476541 wrote: I'm not a computer person but I'm stuck in a computer world. I need to be strapped down and force-taught a few lessons.I would agree there are some who have never been exposed to the truth, but there are also others who willfully defocus their eyes and chant with their fingers in their ears if anyone offers informed comment. Being led into the light doesn't strike me as something you'd be very good at.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

spot;1476542 wrote: I would agree there are some who have never been exposed to the truth, but there are also others who willfully defocus their eyes and chant with their fingers in their ears if anyone offers informed comment. Being led into the light doesn't strike me as something you'd be very good at.
That was unfair - the willfull defocus. You missjudge me.
spot

Post by spot »

High Threshold;1476543 wrote: That was unfair - the willfull defocus. You missjudge me.

You've been describing a text expander, in earlier posts here, which you may have been toggling off. Either it's a third party text expander or it's built into a program (like Chrome, for instance, which has one). I'm unaware of any text expander supplied as a standard component in any Microsoft operating system. Word, for another example, has one. There are several which can be added to a system and then be available within all programs. Perhaps you know what you've been using.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

spot;1476544 wrote: You've been describing a text expander, in earlier posts here, which you may have been toggling off. Either it's a third party text expander or it's built into a program (like Chrome, for instance, which has one). I'm unaware of any text expander supplied as a standard component in any Microsoft operating system. Word, for another example, has one. There are several which can be added to a system and then be available within all programs. Perhaps you know what you've been using.
Sorry mate but I have no idea what you are talking about. I've never heard of Text Expanders and now that I've looked it up I cannot see that I suffer from it. And terms such as PhraseExpress, “snippet collection” and Synchronization mean nothing to me. I am only having a problem with my keyboard configuration that jumps from the standard Swedish to … something else, English perhaps. No matter what, the keys don't fit the symbols. Much of the punctuation is in the wrong place and the Swedish letters are missing all-together. But as I said, it only happens when I've apparently hit a key-combination unwillingly.
spot

Post by spot »

A misunderstanding of the word "contractions" on my part, in your text:you may have noticed that I am using no “contractions” this session. It happens now and then that I suddenly lose those functions from my keyboard

I took that to mean typing, for example, ;ni and seeing the text " I have no idea what you are talking about" appear in your typing window. I take if from what you have since written that you are typing, for example, "you are" instead of "you're". I wouldn't call that a contraction, I'd call it an elision.

I'll consult a table of keyboard shortcuts at they affect locale, I imagine they're common to all the recent Microsoft OS versions.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

spot;1476546 wrote: A misunderstanding of the word "contractions" on my part, in your text:you may have noticed that I am using no “contractions” this session. It happens now and then that I suddenly lose those functions from my keyboard

I took that to mean typing, for example, ;ni and seeing the text " I have no idea what you are talking about" appear in your typing window. I take if from what you have since written that you are typing, for example, "you are" instead of "you're". I wouldn't call that a contraction, I'd call it an elision.

I'll consult a table of keyboard shortcuts at they affect locale, I imagine they're common to all the recent Microsoft OS versions.

Now that is an interesting development. I have to say that I have never heard the word “elision” before in my life. Goes to show.

contraction

n.

1. The act of contracting or the state of being contracted.

2. a. A word, as won't from will not, or phrase, as o'clock from of the clock, formed by omitting or combining some of the sounds of a longer phrase.

contraction - definition of contraction by The Free Dictionary

Definition of ELISION

1a :�* the use of a speech form that lacks a final or initial sound which a variant speech form has (as 's instead of is in there's)

Elision - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

*** And I'm being very honest with you now, Spot, the frustration in disappointing you is now as great the frustration in not knowing what it is that I'm doing wrong with the computer.

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”