Chikungunya

All items relating to Healthcare: Medical insurance, company policies, insurance coverage, policy costs, and more!
spot

Chikungunya

Post by spot »

I've never heard of the chikungunya virus until this morning, but there's a leed article in the Jamaica Gleaner.

It's mosquito-borne and I'd hate to have it. It appears to be widespread around the world. It's not lethal in the way malaria is, but even so.

If it can thrive in Jamaica it can do the same in England I'd have thought, we have a similar climate.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Chikungunya

Post by Bruv »

If it can thrive in Jamaica it can do the same in England I'd have thought, we have a similar climate.

Not that similar.......

Two types of climate are found in Jamaica. An upland tropical climate prevails on the windward side of the mountains, whereas a semiarid climate predominates on the leeward side......................Temperatures in Jamaica are fairly constant throughout the year, averaging 25 to 30 °C (77 to 86 °F) in the lowlands and 15 to 22 °C (59.0 to 71.6 °F) at higher elevations. Temperatures may dip to below 10 °C (50 °F) at the peaks of the Blue Mountains.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Chikungunya

Post by spot »

Bruv;1474676 wrote: Not that similar.......

You'll forgive me, I was forgetting England extends beyond the borders of Cornwall and that the rest of you wear jumpers and galoshes.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Chikungunya

Post by Bruv »

spot;1474680 wrote: You'll forgive me, I was forgetting England extends beyond the borders of Cornwall and that the rest of you wear jumpers and galoshes.

Have they accepted you yet ?

Don't get too comfortable, they might go all Scottish on us.
Betty Boop

Chikungunya

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv;1474683 wrote: Have they accepted you yet ?

Don't get too comfortable, they might go all Scottish on us.

About time we did separate from the UK, we should be in control ourselves.

I'm not British, I am Cornish :sneaky:
FourPart

Chikungunya

Post by FourPart »

I can't say I've ever heard of the British climate being described as comparable to Jamaica before.
LarsMac

Chikungunya

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1474707 wrote: I can't say I've ever heard of the British climate being described as comparable to Jamaica before.

There may be some similarities when up in the Blue Mountain region to a summer day in Cornwall.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Chikungunya

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1474704 wrote: About time we did separate from the UK, we should be in control ourselves.

I'm not British, I am Cornish :sneaky:

I'm not European or British I am English..........bugger off all of you, we don't want you, we have looked after you lot for years and years and what thanks do we get ?

As soon as you feel your feet you want your freedom, sod off, do we care ? OK see how you manage on your own.......but don't come running back to us when it all goes wrong, you think your big enough and clever enough......just go.......go on.

(Or..........was that when my daughter left home?)
flopstock

Chikungunya

Post by flopstock »

West Nile I've heard of, but not this..
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

Chikungunya

Post by spot »

Some weapons chap at Porton Down reckons it could arrive in England from 2030, along with West Nile Virus and Malaria.

Climate change 'might bring rise in UK mosquito-borne diseases' - Health News - NHS Choices

He'll look daft if there's an outbreak this summer.

Return to “Healthcare”