Gun Training for concealed Carry

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I ran into a friend I haven't seen for a while and she'd like me to go train with her for her concealed carry license or whatever it is they give you. her husband already has his.

Do I have to own a gun to do this or do they loan them to you at the schools or training sessions?:thinking:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Most have loaner guns to use. They will pick a gun you are comfortable with, that way you don't buy the wrong gun, wether it be too big, too small, wrong caliber for you etc. etc.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Why ? are things getting that bad over there ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bruv;1474607 wrote: Why ? are things getting that bad over there ?

You haven't heard? Guns are the latest fashion accessory.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

YZGI;1474605 wrote: Most have loaner guns to use. They will pick a gun you are comfortable with, that way you don't buy the wrong gun, wether it be too big, too small, wrong caliber for you etc. etc.

Do most folks have locks for their guns and if so, are there stats on how that affects response time? If I had a gun, I'd be worried about reaching in and pulling it out of a drawer in my headboard and not taking out either myself or one of the critters by accident .

How often do you practice? how often should a basic gun owner practice?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

FourPart

Post by FourPart »

YZGI;1474611 wrote: You haven't heard? Guns are the latest fashion accessory.

Now, THAT I can believe.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Bruv;1474607 wrote: Why ? are things getting that bad over there ?
Illinois just got concealed carried last year. I was gonna put getting a gun off until my daughter was out of the house and I was alone, but this may be a good opportunity to learn what I will need to know.

I would think the first thing you do is make sure your family all know that there is a gun in the house. Not sure how much it would travel with me... can hotels refuse you a room if you are carrying?

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

flopstock;1474612 wrote: Do most folks have locks for their guns and if so, are there stats on how that affects response time? If I had a gun, I'd be worried about reaching in and pulling it out of a drawer in my headboard and not taking out either myself or one of the critters by accident .

How often do you practice? how often should a basic gun owner practice?

I have locks for some of my guns, the one I leave in the drawer next to my bed does not have a lock. It is a semi auto. I keep it with an empty chamber. To fire I would first have to jack a cartridge into the chamber. Takes just a second but it is less likely to "go off" for some unknown reason. When grandkids are over I lock it up in the safe till they leave. Everyone who has ever entered my house knows I own many guns. Not that I advertise it, it's just the way it is where I live (small town middle america). Most are for hunting. All my kids own at least shotguns. I'm sure I have friends who don't own guns but I couldn't name one.

Practice? We have 480 acres of land with lots of woods 3 miles south of my house. We take different guns there weekly either to hunt or target shoot while the grand kids ride dirt bikes and go karts. We have a designated area for both and any shooting while kids are there takes place about 3/4 of a mile away and the shooting is directed away from the play area and dirt track. We also have a fire pit, picnic table, chairs, a chair swing etc etc. We take hot dogs and burgers to cook and have a blast on weekends.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

And I thought your name was Wise guy, now I know it is Why.....Guy..?

Don't mind me..........................carry on.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Are you in Illinois?

Beside the choice of gun are the laws of you local jurisdiction.

All your questions are prudent and I suspect you know most the answers already.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bruv;1474629 wrote: And I thought your name was Wise guy, now I know it is Why.....Guy..?

I know its hard for Euro's to understand the thinking here. I'm sure we seem un civilized to you but it's how we grew up, it's what we know.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bruv;1474629 wrote: And I thought your name was Wise guy, now I know it is Why.....Guy..?

Would you be afraid to come into my house because you know I own guns?
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

tude dog;1474633 wrote: Are you in Illinois?

Beside the choice of gun are the laws of you local jurisdiction.

All your questions are prudent and I suspect you know most the answers already.

I've actually never given it a thought on a personal level until yesterday. I kind of just laughed it off, but then started thinking about it last night. I assume that if there are classes in the town next to me they will be up on our rules. We are very small town and bump up next to each other(town wise).

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

YZGI;1474636 wrote: Would you be afraid to come into my house because you know I own guns?

Both my brothers have been lifetime shooters, both owning several shotguns. Even I very briefly joined a club, target shooting in the bowels of a building in central London in the shadow of St Pauls Cathedral.

So no, is the answer, guns don't frighten me........on their own.

The wide spread attitude or need or feeling or assumption you need to own and and to carry a firearm for you and your families protection is what I find frightening.

The climate of the need to own because others do is what worries me.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Whilst it may be true that Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People, it is also true that without the guns there would be no shooting.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

FourPart;1474645 wrote: Whilst it may be true that Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People, it is also true that without the guns there would be no shooting.
What do you suppose the realistic odds are of there ever being 0 guns?

IMO, so long as the bad guys have them, it's probably best if I have one.

When Alzheimers sets in, I just hope one of my kids disarms me. It's little things like that which nag at me.

AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

In New Hampshire there was not training required for concealed carry & a permit was issued upon request. I wish there was training required for gun ownership in general, same as testing being required for a driver license even if one already knows how to drive. I think this training should include the proper way to clean the weapon, as there have been many accidents, including by police officers, in cleaning the gun(s).

As it is, it's just point & shoot & I don't think that is enough to be a responsible gun owner. In NH, they didn't care what I knew or didn't know & I think good training does not step on any gun owner's toes in any way.

Tude's right, your jurisdiction decides what is needed.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

FourPart;1474645 wrote: Whilst it may be true that Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People, it is also true that without the guns there would be no shooting.

If people would just not break into other folks homes, there would be no need.

Woman Shoots And Kills Suspected Burglar

“She was armed and apparently fired multiple shots at him,” said Sgt. Dave Sicilia.

The woman’s son says he bought the gun for her a week ago to keep her safe now that she is living alone, but he never thought she would actually have to use it.

Police believe the suspect also broke into neighboring homes.

Events like this just don't often if ever make the national news.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

tude dog;1474714 wrote: If people would just not break into other folks homes, there would be no need.

Woman Shoots And Kills Suspected Burglar

Events like this just don't often if ever make the national news.

Can he just buy her a gun or does he have to get a license for her. How long does it normally take to get a permit? Maybe I should apply and get it done in advance? You keep raising more questions in my head.

FourPart

Post by FourPart »

tude dog;1474714 wrote: If people would just not break into other folks homes, there would be no need.

Breaking into people's homes huh?

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

FourPart;1474719 wrote: Breaking into people's homes huh?

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's drugs

FourPart

Post by FourPart »

flopstock;1474721 wrote: It's drugs

It's Guns.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

flopstock;1474717 wrote: Can he just buy her a gun or does he have to get a license for her. How long does it normally take to get a permit? Maybe I should apply and get it done in advance? You keep raising more questions in my head.

Laws vary state by state. That incident was in Ohio and I understand laws in your state and Illinois are very different.

In your state, you need a

FOID card.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

FourPart;1474719 wrote: Breaking into people's homes huh?

Schools

Commonly known as GFZ , "Gun Free Zones'"
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

tude dog;1474732 wrote: Schools

Commonly known as GFZ , "Gun Free Zones'"

With all those shootings it looks like they're very gun free.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

FourPart;1474781 wrote: With all those shootings it looks like they're very gun free.

Actually, free fire zones.

Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

It doesn't change the fact that in a country where gun ownership is part & parcel of the everyday way of life that massacres of innocent children by some nutter with a gun, freely available to all comers, just decides to get out & take a pot shot at anyone or anything that moves have become little more than a side mention in the daily news. Just another massacre. Not to worry. Anything to support the right to bear arms.

Return to “Gun Control”