One way trip to Mars anybody ?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I can't believe this, there are people queuing up for a one way journey to Mars.

As far as I am concerned they can have my place, I can always join them later, when they sort out the return trip.

Meet the five Brits on the Mars list
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I heard about this on a local radio talk show yesterday. That's a long time to be in a confined space with folks you may not care for after a few months together...lol
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I have a few names I'd like to put on that list.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

YZGI;1474376 wrote: I have a few names I'd like to put on that list.

In-laws?
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bruv;1474386 wrote: In-laws?

Nah, inlaws are cool for the most part. Now if we're talking blood relatives?????
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

YZGI;1474391 wrote: Nah, inlaws are cool for the most part. Now if we're talking blood relatives?????

Families...........who would have them ?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I'd go in a heartbeat, but, I probably wouldn't qualify.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

YZGI;1474376 wrote: I have a few names I'd like to put on that list.

Spot ?? ;)
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Betty Boop;1474438 wrote: Spot ?? ;)

:yh_rotfl LOL
spot

Post by spot »

I refer the thread participants to an earlier thread: http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/curre ... post882965

I've been on the UK Colony Volunteer List for the last fifteen years - it's the British Interplanetary Society's project. Who knows, I might be there within the next ten years. Once we're there we're meant to stay.

06-06-2008 04:28 PM

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1474484 wrote: I refer the thread participants to an earlier thread: http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/curre ... post882965

I've been on the UK Colony Volunteer List for the last fifteen years - it's the British Interplanetary Society's project. Who knows, I might be there within the next ten years. Once we're there we're meant to stay.

06-06-2008 04:28 PM

OK.......Why ?
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

What's so incredulous about it? After all, you'll probably find there's far more nutters on the list of those waiting to commit suicide on command come the next day of the supposed Rapture.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I'd love to go...but two things would have to be true first:

1. The technology would have to exist for people to live on Mars without resupply. It doesn't. Machines break, people get sick. Things would have to be manufactured, raw materials found, mined, smelted, and machined. Medicines distilled, water extracted, oxygen cracked, plants grown. One bad break, one accident, one plague and it's goodbye. No nation on Earth currently has the ability to resupply on a yearly basis.

2. I'd have to be twenty years younger.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Excuses, excuses, and they need some old timers too you know.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Saint, you left out cell phone reception.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

YZGI;1474610 wrote: Saint, you left out cell phone reception.
To say nothing of a decent Broadband connection.
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1474487 wrote: OK.......Why ?

I can think of nothing more important than getting Earth's eggs out of the existing single basket. Staying on just the one planet is a death-trap.

I have come to the conclusion that each galaxy has a maximum of just one colonisation event. Within a million years of intelligent life starting to spread between star systems, the whole of one galaxy will be fully populated by that life. I can see no possible way, using known physics, of any life or meaningful information bridging the gap between galaxies, but I'm quite sure a galaxy can be populated.

Once it's been done, there's no way of disguising the presence of that intelligent life. That's why I'm quite sure it's never been done yet in this galaxy. We have the opportunity to do it now, and it's an opportunity that won't hang around indefinitely waiting for us to take it.

How could I not take part in establishing the first colony if I was offered a place - it's the most historic event this species will ever know.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Yes but it doesn't have to be you in the first wave.
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1474626 wrote: Yes but it doesn't have to be you in the first wave.

I am, I fear, past my first flush. Picking and choosing would be ill-judged.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1474627 wrote: I am, I fear, past my first flush. Picking and choosing would be ill-judged.

And so jumping on the first flight is not.....ill-judged ?
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1474630 wrote: And so jumping on the first flight is not.....ill-judged ?

I am insignificant. If my body can help lubricate the road to the stars then fling me on it and grind me down.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1474638 wrote: I am insignificant. If my body can help lubricate the road to the stars then fling me on it and grind me down.

I may pop on to one of the later excursions when the likes of you have oiled the route sufficiently.

I may be insignificant in eternity terms.....but I am all I have.
spot

Post by spot »

Nobody appears yet to have decided on a name for this first Martian Colony.

I propose Roanoke.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The idea of being truly the first humans to set foot where no other human has ever been is fascinating.

I am sure that they will only select people who have a very good chance of at least surviving the trip. That would preclude anyone who requires some sort of Pharmacology product to stay fully functional.
- DH Lawrence
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

spot;1474673 wrote: Nobody appears yet to have decided on a name for this first Martian Colony.

I propose Roanoke.
Marsbar
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Bruv;1474649 wrote: I may pop on to one of the later excursions when the likes of you have oiled the route sufficiently.

I may be insignificant in eternity terms.....but I am all I have.

I wouldn't last through the launch..lol

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1474690 wrote: The idea of being truly the first humans to set foot where no other human has ever been is fascinating.

Why ?

How about on a fresh beach after the tide has gone out...............that'll do for me.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Just imagine the disappointment when you get there & discover that planet crust isn't made of chocolate with a caramel core.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

flopstock;1474698 wrote: Marsbar

Rock four ages.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1474673 wrote: Nobody appears yet to have decided on a name for this first Martian Colony.

I propose Roanoke.

An inauspicious start surely? Roanoke failed!
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1474827 wrote: An inauspicious start surely? Roanoke failed!

I was thinking at least this time we could find out why, that's all.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1474828 wrote: I was thinking at least this time we could find out why, that's all.

I always thought the colonists died out after supplies stopped coming from England?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1474829 wrote: I always thought the colonists died out after supplies stopped coming from England?

Still trying to figure it out.

Have We Found the Lost Colony of Roanoke Island?
- DH Lawrence

Return to “General Chit Chat”