The Homesman

Ahso!

The Homesman

Post by Ahso! »

This movie is Tommy Lee Jones' second directorial, and like the first, it's a masterpiece. I'm watching it a second time and I never do that.

I suspect the story, which was a novel by Glendon Swarthout, is probably close to the true raw life women faced in the west mid 1800 and the depiction by the actors and Jones as director and actor is superb.

Andrew O'Hehir, the only movie critic who matters in my book, gives a very accurate and colorful description for anyone interested. O'Hehir, a wonderful writer in his own rite is engrossing in his articles.

When the character played by Tommy Lee Jones in “The Homesman,” who calls himself George Briggs but may not be the most trustworthy source, tells Mary Bee Cuddy, the plucky frontierswoman played by Hilary Swank, that she’s “as plain as an old tin pail,” you may want to stop the movie and file a complaint. As Jones is well aware, he’s no beauty-pageant contestant himself, and Briggs is a grubby, unkempt character with a disreputable past, who resembles a hunk of gristle chewed and then spat out by a stray dog. But Jones, as always, knows what he’s doing. In only his second feature as a director, the laconic 68-year-old star has made a wrenching, relentless and anti-heroic western that stands among the year’s most powerful American films. Not everyone will like “The Homesman,” but if you see it you won’t soon forget it.“The Homesman”: Tommy Lee Jones and Hilary Swank are unforgettable in a ruthless, classic western - Salon.com
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
along-for-the-ride

The Homesman

Post by along-for-the-ride »

What a coincidence, Ahso........Hubby and I watched this movie on DVD last night. It is one of those movies that stays with you after the final credits roll. This movie indeed shows that life could be harsh out in the isolation of the west, even for the strongest.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
LarsMac

The Homesman

Post by LarsMac »

I've long been a fan of Jones. I will have to look this one up.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
flopstock

The Homesman

Post by flopstock »

I don't think I've heard of this one. Is the ending sad? I get the feel from the link that it is..
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

along-for-the-ride

The Homesman

Post by along-for-the-ride »

flopstock;1474594 wrote: I don't think I've heard of this one. Is the ending sad? I get the feel from the link that it is..

There is singing and dancing at the ending. Sad? Judge for yourself after you see the film.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
tabby

The Homesman

Post by tabby »

I watched this movie about 2 years ago and thought it was very good! I like Tommy Lee Jones (a lot) and he did a wonderful job with his character of George Briggs as well as in directing the film. Hilary Swank was superb!

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”