Latest UN Report on Climate change

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

This latest report pulls no punches, it made me sit up and listen.

I wonder if it is the definitive irrefutable last word on the subject, and if it is, will anything happen globally to halt the inevitable ?

UN Report

“Severe and pervasive” negative impacts from climate change
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1467289 wrote: This latest report pulls no punches, it made me sit up and listen.

I wonder if it is the definitive irrefutable last word on the subject, and if it is, will anything happen globally to halt the inevitable ?

UN Report

I suspect that we have passed the tipping point, and whatever will happen as a result will happen.

Given how little we really understand of the system in which we live, I hold little hope that we will be able to have any significant, immediate affect.

True, if we stop burning fossil fuels, we may halt our contribution to the ongoing process, but that is going to take a couple more generational shifts.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Reminds me of the saying

"Everybody Talks About the Weather, But Nobody Does Anything About It."

hmm

So now with all our technology, etc. the answer to avoid some supposed doom and gloom is to crawl into caves warmed by camp fires.

Too bad we can't pass a law to prohibit third world nations from advancing to first world levels.

It should work if we promise to give up our first world life styles just to live in impoverished diseased existence.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1467296 wrote: Reminds me of the saying

"Everybody Talks About the Weather, But Nobody Does Anything About It."

hmm

So now with all our technology, etc. the answer to avoid some supposed doom and gloom is to crawl into caves warmed by camp fires.

Too bad we can't pass a law to prohibit third world nations from advancing to first world levels.

It should work if we promise to give up our first world life styles just to live in impoverished diseased existence.

Sadly, far too many people in the "Civilized world" see that as the only choice, and so have refused, and continue to refuse to do anything about the problem.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1467289 wrote: This latest report pulls no punches, it made me sit up and listen.

UN Report

No and No.

From an adjacent article in tghe same paper.

If you still believe in 'climate change' read this… – Telegraph Blogs

None of the projected disastrous effects of climate change exists in the present but only in an imaginary future (which may never come to pass: these are only unverifiable computer model "projections", remember). So we ought, when considering our expensive prevention/mitigation policies, factor in the key point that "future generations" are going to be richer than we are and therefore better able to pay for any problems that "climate change" may cause them.

We've had it time and time again where people have been aware of the consequences of their actions be it de-forestation, over-farming, overfishing or modern day fracking and gone ahead and done it anyway.

How about that current argument that seems popular amongst the born agains that God would not allow man to destroy the earth, kind of throws free-will out the window but neber let it be said logic and reason would hinder a good argument.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

It all seems to come down to 'Opinion'

Surely even if the so called scientific 'proof' is questionable it would be better to err on the right side and take action sooner rather than later.....just in case.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1467312 wrote: It all seems to come down to 'Opinion'

Surely even if the so called scientific 'proof' is questionable it would be better to err on the right side and take action sooner rather than later.....just in case.

All things considered, I would rather be warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

The only err is not recognize there is nothing we can do about it.

This whole concept we can change the weather is a

FAIL

Worry about weather which we can't control.

There is the one thing civilized people could control,

IRAN and NUKEs
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1467325 wrote: All things considered, I would rather be warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

FAIL

IRAN and NUKEs

It is not so much controlling the weather that they are suggesting, but halting the continuous increase of CO2 into that atmosphere.

And the assumption that we must give up our way of life to do so is fairly short-sighted.

We have the technology, and we have the ability to come up with ways to solve the problem.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1467325 wrote: All things considered, I would rather be warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

FAIL

IRAN and NUKEs

And THAT is only your opinion.

Learned people who have studied for years might have a different 'opinion' based on more information than you.

Man has been controlling the affects of weather for centuries, that is why hundreds die in third world countries every monsoon season, while first world countries batten down the hatches and suffer relatively little whatever the the climate throws at them.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FAIL

IRAN and NUKEs

Firstly we're talking about climate, not weather and they are totally different things. The weather we can do very little about (local manipulation of rainfall is about the sum of it) and we cannot even predict it beyond a few days. Climate, on the other hand, is predictable and we are already manipulating it.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Weather does, however, tend to be a direct result of climactic conditions.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1467433 wrote: Weather does, however, tend to be a direct result of climactic conditions.

But discussing weather when the issue is climate is not helpful
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

14 of the 15 hottest years on record have occurred since 2000, UN says

As we all shiver, it is good somebody is keeping score isn't it ?
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Yet there are those (usually those who make their money from fossil fuel products) who claim that Global Warming doesn't exist.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Climate changes all the time. Long before humans learned to light a camp fire.

According the the climate complainers, that is irrelevant. Nobody ever mentions it.

How do we know that the proposed attempts to control the "climate" would have a positive effective?

We don't.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1473444 wrote: Climate changes all the time. Long before humans learned to light a camp fire.

According the the climate complainers, that is irrelevant. Nobody ever mentions it.

How do we know that the proposed attempts to control the "climate" would have a positive effective?

We don't.

You obviously only listen to what you want to hear.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1473446 wrote: You obviously only listen to what you want to hear.

Good answer.

:-3
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The effect of Global Warming is not in doubt. The steady increase has been observed & monitored carefully & shows unmistakeable decrease in the rate of warming in correlation to our lifestyles once it was realised what pollution was doing to the planet. The Fossil Fuels, which are the primary contributors to Global Warming won't last forever & we will have to make use of the alternatives of renewable resources out there. The question is, though, whether it'll be too late or not.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Global Warming is not in doubt.

Nothing we can do about it , even if we want to.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Oh wait!

Are we talking of Global Warming or Climate Change?

Me sometimes get confused.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1473493 wrote: Oh wait!

Well, if the globe is warming, That would be a climate change.

But it might help to turn off the furnace.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1473444 wrote: Climate changes all the time. Long before humans learned to light a camp fire.

We don't.

Without a doubt climate changes all of the time - there have even been points in pre-history when the climate has changed as rapidly as it is doing now, the trouble is those times were periods of catastrophe associated with mega quakes, asteroid strikes, the stopping of the North Atlantic Conveyer, etc. What we have here is a catastrophic rate of climate change where the cause is man made.

What we do know is that if we don't attempt to reverse that damage that we're doing then, fairly soon, we will reach a series of tipping points where the climate will jump at a rate beyond even our ability to react. So, no, we cannot guarantee that our attempts to control the climate will have a positive effect but we do know that failing to make that attempt will have an extremely negative effect.

Given that, which course would you choose?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1473522 wrote: Without a doubt climate changes all of the time - there have even been points in pre-history when the climate has changed as rapidly as it is doing now, the trouble is those times were periods of catastrophe associated with mega quakes, asteroid strikes, the stopping of the North Atlantic Conveyer, etc. What we have here is a catastrophic rate of climate change where the cause is man made.

What we do know is that if we don't attempt to reverse that damage that we're doing then, fairly soon, we will reach a series of tipping points where the climate will jump at a rate beyond even our ability to react. So, no, we cannot guarantee that our attempts to control the climate will have a positive effect but we do know that failing to make that attempt will have an extremely negative effect.

He's not listening Bryn............he has his own sources, he finds they are more to his............liking.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Bryn Mawr;1473522 wrote: Without a doubt climate changes all of the time - there have even been points in pre-history when the climate has changed as rapidly as it is doing now, the trouble is those times were periods of catastrophe associated with mega quakes, asteroid strikes, the stopping of the North Atlantic Conveyer, etc. What we have here is a catastrophic rate of climate change where the cause is man made.

What would you consider as 'fairly soon' ? Our lifetime, our children's lifetimes, grandchildren, etc?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

FourPart

Post by FourPart »

tude dog;1473493 wrote: Oh wait!

They are interconnected & are essentially the same thing.

Finally it has been shown that the Ozone Layer is starting to heal. This damage was caused mainly by CFCs, and there were those then that claimed the damage was done & that there was nothing we could do about it. But there was. We did away with the use of CFCs & prevented any further damage, and it is now showing that we do have the ability to do something about it.

The main reason for Global Warming (and consequently, Climate Change) are the unacceptable levels of Carbon Dioxide & Carbon Monoxide that we're constantly pumping into the atmosphere from our reliance on Fossil Fuels. We have the capability to solve that problem as well. The problem is that as a species we are lazy, loathe to change our ways from a simple comfortable life & opt to take the Ostrich approach. There are numberous methods of non-pollutive renewable energy out there. Wind, Solar, Hydro, Wave Power, etc., none of which are currently sufficiently practical enough to replace Fossil Fuels but they can, at least, supplement them. Not that long ago Photo-Voltaic were far too expensive & extremely inefficient, and only regions that had a very high number of daylight hours & ambient temperatures could even consider benefiting from it. Now technology has moved on & Photo-Voltaic power sources are becoming more & more a part of our daily lives. All new houses being built are being equipped with solar panels. Lights are being replaced with energy efficient LEDs etc. These may seem like small changes, tbut the more small changes that are made the greater the overall effect, and with the demand for energy being minimised, then the supply from alternate means becomes more practical. Then technology can continue to advance & improve the efficiency of the energy generators further, eventually, hopefully, doing away with the need for Fossil Fuels altogether. Then, by stopping the pumping of the pollutive gases into the atmosphere all the time, perhaps Nature can set about healing itself - otherwise the only other way that we'll stop polluting the atmosphere is from our own destructive actions causing our own elimination - leaving Nature to heal itself for the benefit of any other life that remains on the planet after we, the primary vandals, have been disposed of.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

flopstock;1473534 wrote: What would you consider as 'fairly soon' ? Our lifetime, our children's lifetimes, grandchildren, etc?

Within the lifetime of the current crop of adults without a doubt if nothing is done.

eta - the apparent evasive phrasing is due to advancing age and uncertainty as to my remaining lifetime.

Return to “Earth Changes”