Slurry

spot

Slurry

Post by spot »

The BBC has more news of the incident a couple of weeks ago:Some 60,000 fish have died in a canal polluted with farm slurry, prompting an investigation.

BBC News - Grand Union Canal pollution kills 60,000 fish

One hopes the legal option of jailing the wretch whose action caused the slurry release isn't neglected. Why this country tolerates farmers baffles me, they should at least need a license that can be revoked. Kibworth is not a good place to be fly-tipping cowshit.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
FourPart

Slurry

Post by FourPart »

Chances are it's more likely one of Cameron's buddies who passed a back-hander to look the other way.
spot

Slurry

Post by spot »

FourPart;1473302 wrote: Chances are it's more likely one of Cameron's buddies who passed a back-hander to look the other way.

Mr Cameron has no buddies in Leicestershire. Mr Cameron cannot sit on a horse. Mr Cameron would fall off, being an inept git whose talents tend to less savoury behaviours. You may be surprised to learn there are less savoury behaviours than riding after foxes but Mr Cameron is, after all, a politician.

Mr Cameron's buddies live nearer Gloucestershire and quack at interminable dinner parties.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Slurry

Post by gmc »

Why this country tolerates farmers baffles me, they should at least need a license that can be revoked.

So long as people need to eat we will have to put up with farmers.
spot

Slurry

Post by spot »

gmc;1473352 wrote: So long as people need to eat we will have to put up with farmers.I don't think that's true any longer. You can form any food on earth from algae grown in solar concentrators. It uses far less space and you cut out the smug lard-laden landowner skimming off his inordinate and unjustifiable mark-up on life brought into being solely to be slaughtered for profit. Hand the countryside back to wildlife, for goodness sake, while some still exists.
gmc

Slurry

Post by gmc »

spot;1473353 wrote: I don't think that's true any longer. You can form any food on earth from algae grown in solar concentrators. It uses far less space and you cut out the smug lard-laden landowner skimming off his inordinate and unjustifiable mark-up on life brought into being solely to be slaughtered for profit. Hand the countryside back to wildlife, for goodness sake, while some still exists.

Good luck with that one - try selling the idea to ethiopia.

Landownee and farmer are not necessarily one and the same.
spot

Slurry

Post by spot »

gmc;1473450 wrote: Landownee and farmer are not necessarily one and the same.I agree entirely - it's the landowner I complained of, who either farms or has someone farm on his behalf. Tenant farmers, by contrast, are mere serfs.
FourPart

Slurry

Post by FourPart »

gmc;1473450 wrote: Good luck with that one - try selling the idea to ethiopia.

Landownee and farmer are not necessarily one and the same.
Is Ethiopia anywhere near the sea?
spot

Slurry

Post by spot »

FourPart;1473461 wrote: Is Ethiopia anywhere near the sea?

You don't need a sea to grow algae. Ideally you need a desert. The algae lives in large tanks and feeds off sunlight and air, with traces of essentials added to the water. It's not a lot of water and it recycles if you're packing the algae dried for shipment to processing near the point of consumption. The more concentrated the sunlight, the less space your tanks take up.
FourPart

Slurry

Post by FourPart »

I thought algae was destroyed by too much sunlight. Yes it gets its nutrients from UV, but excessive amounts can also be detrimental.
spot

Slurry

Post by spot »

FourPart;1473465 wrote: I thought algae was destroyed by too much sunlight. Yes it gets its nutrients from UV, but excessive amounts can also be detrimental.

Your sunlight per algae-portion has to be kept down, yes. Your tank needs as much sunlight as you can pour into it. What you then do is speed up the swish blades to whisk the algae through the sunlight faster, and back into the shade. You need to swish it through because you can only light up a thin skim of algae at any one time, the skim absorbs all the light hitting it, it's neither transparent nor translucent, it's extremely sunlight-absorbing. You keep the UV out too, that would hurt it. Then in the gloaming it swaps out oxygen, breathes in another cell-full of carbon dioxide and wham, another slice of sunlight bazooks it. And round it goes until you make it into bacon and eggs and bread.

There's a thread in the database where ForumGarden calculated the potential number of humans this planet could sustain if it built 1km-deep cities under the entire surface of the planet, leaving everything above-ground and in the sea as space for wildlife, while diverting enough sunlight for algae growth using space-mirrors. I think the total number of people alive at any moment was 300,000 billion, each having ten times the private room-space of the average English semi and normal access to the city's public areas too. It would not, I thought, feel crowded. The NHS would need additional funding to cope, mind.
FourPart

Slurry

Post by FourPart »

It sounds an interesting proposition, but as for making it into any other convincingly synthesised nutrient, well, I have my doubts. It sounds a bit too much like Soylent Green for comfort.
spot

Re: Slurry

Post by spot »

Here, for contrast, is what currently happens in order to allow pet cats and dogs to eat.

I think pet cats, pet dogs and horseracing should be illegal.

Freedom of information requests revealed that 4,000 former racehorses were slaughtered in Britain and Ireland since the beginning of 2019. Most, but not all, were trained in Ireland.

Animal Aid, which has long campaigned for an end to horse racing, set up covert cameras at Drury and Sons, an abattoir in England which has a licence to kill horses.

"When we looked at the footage we were absolutely astounded at the sheer volume of young thoroughbreds," said Animal Aid spokesman Dene Stansall.

The footage was recorded over four days at the end of 2019 and the start of 2020.

It captured dozens of former racehorses being slaughtered, the majority of them from Ireland and the majority young.

Some of the horses shot in the abattoir had previous illustrious racing careers, winning thousands of pounds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57881979
spot

Re: Slurry

Post by spot »

But what, I hear you ask, should be done with these unwanted horses instead. Ireland is a small place, it would clog up if they were just buried.

Find a high cliff on the coast and walk these domesticated equine freaks over the edge in a long procession, that's what. Then the much-abused local fish populations could benefit from a little extra food. If it's good enough for Shergar it's good enough for his descendants too.

Return to “Current Events”