I just had an odd thought.

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Of all of the prominent figures of WW II very few were actually in a healthy state.

1). Franklin Delano Roosevelt had polio.

2). Josef Stalin had a withered arm.

3). Adolf Hitler developed Alzeimer's disease.

4). Josef Göbbels had a club foot.

5). Hermann Göring was a morphine addict.

6). Benito Mussolini was mad.

:yh_think DISCLAIMER: The above message is my opinion alone. I have successfully resisted including any links or sources of documented information, thus avoiding criticism of being “left wing” - “right wing” - or too firmly placed into the centre to be of any use. Any resemblance to truth or fact, therefore, is purely coincidental.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Was Winston Churchill healthy?
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

along-for-the-ride;1471357 wrote: Was Winston Churchill healthy?

He was over weight and constantly smoked enormous cigars ! Otherwise I believe he was reasonably healthy ! He had a mild stroke when he was 74 then a more serious one when he was 78. Up till then I think he was fairly healthy ! He died when he was 90 in 1965.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I don't know if it was really Alzheimer's that was Hitler's thing. He was strung out on Meth and Barbs that his doctor was giving him in his "Vitamin Shots"
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
sugarpuff

Post by sugarpuff »

My grandfather was actually in a healthy state and a prominent figures of WW ...

He was out standing in his field ...

Honestly he was one of the few Canadian who fought in Vimy Ridge and came back home
Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

sugarpuff;1471363 wrote: ..

He was a farmer?
Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.
sugarpuff

Post by sugarpuff »

Fuzzy;1471364 wrote: He was a farmer?

Part farmer and part horse thief ...
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

along-for-the-ride;1471357 wrote: Was Winston Churchill healthy?

Just checked. You're right. It is said that his family was afflicted with mental illness, displaying itself as either schizophrenia or neurosyphilis. He himself suffered from depression and his daughter took her own life during a depressive state. I do have a link but I promised not to. :yh_cow
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1471360 wrote: He was over weight and constantly smoked enormous cigars ! Otherwise I believe he was reasonably healthy ! He had a mild stroke when he was 74 then a more serious one when he was 78. Up till then I think he was fairly healthy ! He died when he was 90 in 1965.

Corr! Wasn't that the year! Such memories.

LarsMac;1471361 wrote: I don't know if it was really Alzheimer's that was Hitler's thing. He was strung out on Meth and Barbs that his doctor was giving him in his "Vitamin Shots"

I thought that was John Kennedy?
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

sugarpuff;1471363 wrote: My grandfather was actually in a healthy state and a prominent figures of WW ...

Honestly he was one of the few Canadian who fought in Vimy Ridge and came back home

Sorry, you didn't finish your sentence. What exactly happened while he was standing in his field? Was there a bombing raid or was he under parachute barrage? Tell you the truth I'm not all that certain he was prominent enough to qualify. We could put it to the vote if you like?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

High Threshold;1471274 wrote: Of all of the prominent figures of WW II very few were actually in a healthy state.

1). Franklin Delano Roosevelt had polio.

2). Josef Stalin had a withered arm.

3). Adolf Hitler developed Alzeimer's disease.

4). Josef Göbbels had a club foot.

5). Hermann Göring was a morphine addict.

6). Benito Mussolini was mad.

:yh_think DISCLAIMER: The above message is my opinion alone. I have successfully resisted including any links or sources of documented information, thus avoiding criticism of being “left wing” - “right wing” - or too firmly placed into the centre to be of any use. Any resemblance to truth or fact, therefore, is purely coincidental.

Is this a comment on medical advancement ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
FG-administator

Post by FG-administator »

Far too many willful lies are told about people in the public eye.

A reliable refutation of Churchill's alleged but unfounded alcoholism can be found at Drunk and Ugly: The Rumor Mill

I can happily believe the well-attested tale relating to Bessie Braddock - "Winston, you are drunk, and what's more you are disgustingly drunk" - but the fact that she said it is very little evidence that her allegation was true, even on that occasion.

As for familial neuro-syphilis, it's scarcely a genetic trait. His father was one of the vilest Victorians ever to grace the House of Commons and became, over the years, one of its most disreputably insane members, but I don't think one can reasonably hold that against the wartime Prime Minister.

☎|||||||||||

Who has a spare two minutes a day to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

Your satisfactory is our goals
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Bruv;1471379 wrote: Is this a comment on medical advancement ?

I didn't mean it to be. I am beginning to wonder though if madness (in one form or another) is required to even want to rule a nation.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FG;1471382 wrote: Far too many willful lies are told about people in the public eye.

A reliable refutation of Churchill's alleged but unfounded alcoholism can be found at Drunk and Ugly: The Rumor Mill

I can happily believe the well-attested tale relating to Bessie Braddock - "Winston, you are drunk, and what's more you are disgustingly drunk" - but the fact that she said it is very little evidence that her allegation was true, even on that occasion.

As for familial neuro-syphilis, it's scarcely a genetic trait. His father was one of the vilest Victorians ever to grace the House of Commons and became, over the years, one of its most disreputably insane members, but I don't think one can reasonably hold that against the wartime Prime Minister.

I haven't said a word on alcoholism (Churchill) but about his mental illness, he himself referred to it as his “Black Dog” so I'm guessing there's some truth in it.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

High Threshold;1471391 wrote: I didn't mean it to be. I am beginning to wonder though if madness (in one form or another) is required to even want to rule a nation.

My own theory about anyone that aspires to be Famous either as a performer or Politician is that they are.......strange....not mad, but definitely different than most other people. Of course there are many high profile people that most surely are a bit loopy.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

FG;1471382 wrote: I can happily believe the well-attested tale relating to Bessie Braddock - "Winston, you are drunk, and what's more you are disgustingly drunk" - but the fact that she said it is very little evidence that her allegation was true, even on that occasion.

Isn't that the one to which his reply was something like, "Yes Madam, and you're ugly, but in the morning I'll be sober".
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Did he?
sugarpuff

Post by sugarpuff »

High Threshold;1471369 wrote: Sorry, you didn't finish your sentence. What exactly happened while he was standing in his field? Was there a bombing raid or was he under parachute barrage? Tell you the truth I'm not all that certain he was prominent enough to qualify. We could put it to the vote if you like?

He is more then prominent enough .. and all his comrades as well ...

They might not have a huge title or a huge pocket book ...

They have pride and dignity ...I am sure lots of them had poor health as well ..

Most prominent people sit in a great huge office .. get all credit for work other people have done ..
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Surely someone standing in a field would qualify as a Scarecrow.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

FourPart;1471395 wrote: Isn't that the one to which his reply was something like, "Yes Madam, and you're ugly, but in the morning I'll be sober".

Yes indeed, I believe it was, and it just goes to show that he still had the wit to make a quick retort even whilst drunk !

Churchill suffered from depression from time to time, which is hardly surprising, given his situation and responsibility.

Another thing that is not widely known is that Winston Churchill always carried a hand gun, whilst he was the wartime Prime Minister - he was a marksman.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
FG-administator

G#Gill;1471412 wrote: Another thing that is not widely known is that Winston Churchill always carried a hand gun, whilst he was the wartime Prime Minister - he was a marksman.And as Home Secretary took pot-shots with a rifle at the anarchists holed up during the Siege of Sidney Street in 1911, despite which he was still appointed First Lord of the Admiralty later that year instead of being dropped from governmental office. One consequence of that poor decision by Asquith was the Gallipoli campaign, with all the pointless death that entailed. The man's reputation is not unsullied. He was on occasion as recklessly dissociated from reality as his father had been before him.

☎|||||||||||

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FG;1471418 wrote: And as Home Secretary took pot-shots with a rifle at the anarchists holed up during the Siege of Sidney Street in 1911, despite which he was still appointed First Lord of the Admiralty later that year instead of being dropped from governmental office. One consequence of that poor decision by Asquith was the Gallipoli campaign, with all the pointless death that entailed. The man's reputation is not unsullied. He was on occasion as recklessly dissociated from reality as his father had been before him.

THAT sounds just like Rand Paul, here in the States.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FG-administator

LarsMac;1471437 wrote: THAT sounds just like Rand Paul, here in the States.

I can see this triggering electioneering headlines - "Rand Paul likened to Winston Churchill".

☎|||||||||||

FG-administator

G#Gill;1471412 wrote: Another thing that is not widely known is that Winston Churchill always carried a hand gun, whilst he was the wartime Prime Minister - he was a marksman.
Could I add a smidge to the thread, as a note for browsy people who happen upon it over the next few months and years? Winston Churchill had also carried a hand gun as a lieutenant when he rode with the 21st Lancers' cavalry charge at Omdurman. He wrote about it at length in "The River War: An Account of the Reconquest of the Sudan".

☎|||||||||||

FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I suppose in his era there was nothing unusual in continuing to carry their service revolvers.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I read the Adolf Hitler had a quack doctor that injected him with methamphetamine twice a day, as well as prescribing all kinds of hallucinogens and weird remedies.
FG-administator

Saint_;1471556 wrote: I read the Adolf Hitler had a quack doctor that injected him with methamphetamine twice a day, as well as prescribing all kinds of hallucinogens and weird remedies.

He was scarcely alone...

The Encyclopedia of Addictive Drugs, by Richard Lawrence Miller:

Attached files

☎|||||||||||

High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Saint_;1471556 wrote: I read the Adolf Hitler had a quack doctor that injected him with methamphetamine twice a day, as well as prescribing all kinds of hallucinogens and weird remedies.

I just have to ask if these "weird remedies" were meant to counteract the "hallucinogens"?

Return to “General Chit Chat”