Living in the 1900s

Bez

Living in the 1900s

Post by Bez »

Occasionally I like to go to antique fairs ....I am very intersted in social history. I picked up for £3 a magazine dated May 18th 1912 called MOTHER AND HOME which cost 1 old penny at that time. I thought I would share some articles from the magazine.

The first one might be of interest to LC. (These are exactly as published)

QUEER "JOBS" FOR WOMEN

Very "unfeminine occupations that some women go in for.
Thirty women "policemen" have just been appointed in Berlin. Their particular work is to look after children and protect them from ill-usage. They have the power to enter any house, home, or institution and examine things at their own sweet will. For protection they carry revolvers.

It seems a novel kind of "job" for a woman, but it is not so extraordinary as the work some women do.

In a small town in the United Staets the governor of the prison is a woman.

Advice for mothers who's children are starting school
Let the children start the summer term with lighter clothing. A child is always better to be rather lightly clothed, as his energy and constant movement keep him warm, and heavy clothing is only apt to fatigue him.

Favourite Poems

Don't look for the flaws as you go though life;

And even when you find them,

It is wise and kind to be somewhat blind

And look for the virtue behind them;

Fotr the cloudiest night has a hint of light

Somewhere in its shadows hiding;

It's better by far to hunt for a star,

Than the spots on the sun abiding.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
lady cop

Living in the 1900s

Post by lady cop »

QUEER "JOBS" FOR WOMEN
Very "unfeminine occupations that some women go in for.

Thirty women "policemen" have just been appointed in Berlin. Their particular work is to look after children and protect them from ill-usage. They have the power to enter any house, home, or institution and examine things at their own sweet will. For protection they carry revolvers.

It seems a novel kind of "job" for a woman, but it is not so extraordinary as the work some women do.

In a small town in the United Staets the governor of the prison is a woman....i am not surprised this was a German innovation! these were some extraordinary women for their times, and i find it fascinating. there are still those good old boys who think women should not be cops,we have to 'prove ourselves' doubly, but then again agree we are useful when it comes to handling female criminals, whose numbers have exploded in recent history. actually, i found i did well and got more cooperation with most male criminals, we don't challenge them with testosterone, putting them in a situation where they have to 'save face'. (unless of course we just kicked their butt, they don't like to be overcome by a 'girl') thanks for the article Bez!
Bez

Living in the 1900s

Post by Bez »

Stuff about the UK in the 1930s

Around 180 people were murdered a year, in comparison with some 800 now.

Only 3,500 couples divorced in 1930. The annual rate now is 167,000.

Nearly half the population went to the cinema weekly

Life expectancy was about 59 for men and 63 for women. now it's 76 for men and 80 for women

Instant coffee was introduced in 1932

The Holidays With Pay Act was passed in 1938
Bez

Living in the 1900s

Post by Bez »

KITCHEN MAXIMS - From Mrs Beetons cookery book (1860ish) People still use her cookery and home management books well into the 1900s

There is no work like early work

Thrust an oniony knife into the earth to take awy the smell

Water boils when it gallops, oil when it is still

One egg well beaten is worth 2 not beaten

Pour nothing but water down the sink
Mrs Beeton

Mrs Beeton aged about 26
Isabella Mary Mayson (March 12 1836 - January 1865), universally known as Mrs Beeton, was the author of Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management and is the most famous cookery writer in British history.

Isabella was born at 24 Milk Street, Cheapside, London. Her father Benjamin Mason died when she was young and her mother Elizabeth Jerram remarried a Henry Dorling. She was sent to school in Heidelberg in Germany and afterward returned to her stepfather's home in Epsom.

On a visit to London she was introduced to Samuel Orchard Beeton, a publisher of books and popular magazines, and on July 10 1856 they were married. She began to write articles on cooking and household management for her husband's publications and between 1859 and 1861 she wrote a monthly supplement to The Englishwoman’s Domestic Magazine. The supplements were subsequently published in October 1861 as a single volume entitled - The Book of Household Management Comprising information for the Mistress, Housekeeper, Cook, Kitchen-Maid, Butler, Footman, Coachman, Valet, Upper and Under House-Maids, Lady’s-Maid, Maid-of-all-Work, Laundry-Maid, Nurse and Nurse-Maid, Monthly Wet and Sick Nurses, etc. etc. – also Sanitary, Medical, & Legal Memoranda: with a History of the Origin, Properties, and Uses of all Things Connected with Home Life and Comfort.

The book (usually referred to as Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management) was essentially a guide to running a Victorian era household. It contained advice on fashion, child-care, animal husbandry, poisons, the management of servants, science, religion, industrialism and a very large number of recipes (it is often called Mrs Beeton's Cookbook). Of the 1,112 pages over 900 contained recipes. Most of the recipes were illustrated with coloured engravings and it was the first book to show recipes in a format that is still used today. It is claimed that many of the recipes were actually plagiarised from earlier writers (including Eliza Acton ).

After giving birth to her fourth child in January 1865, Isabella contracted puerperal fever and died a week later at the age of 28
chonsigirl

Living in the 1900s

Post by chonsigirl »

Navajo girls, the photo by Curtis taken in 1900, showing a different lifestyle but the same love of girls wanting to chat to each other about the day's activities and gossip........

Return to “History”