Gaming Consoles

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
Ahso!

Gaming Consoles

Post by Ahso! »

I've been thinking about buying one, the Xbox One specifically. I'm hesitant because I'm afraid I won't use it much after the initial infatuation wears off which then results in the thing just sitting unused or it being sold on Ebay.

I've never been a gamer, but who knows, I might find some interest in it. I abhor violence so those types of games are out.

The Xbox One offers a bit more than just games. The Kinect attachment invites interactivity, and, being a grandfather I thought that might be fun with the grandkids. Exercise is always a good thing to do and something I was driven to do up until a few years ago and the Xbox One offers that as well. And who, at least secretly, doesn't desire to learn to dance.

Any input would be greatly appreciated to help me make this decision.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv

Gaming Consoles

Post by Bruv »

Welcome back.

Go on get one you know you want to, if it doesn't suit you, let someone else have a bargain on eBay
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Gaming Consoles

Post by LarsMac »

We will be at my daughter's house this weekend, and they have an Xbox One.

I will let you know what they think of it.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Gaming Consoles

Post by FourPart »

I've still got my old Football / Tennis / Squash / Skeet / Target machine from back in the 70s packed away in my bedroom, still in its box (used, but kept in the box).
Ahso!

Gaming Consoles

Post by Ahso! »

I've been getting talked into building one myself. FG, Bryn and LM might have some suggestions on that. Any ideas and input is welcome.

I'll probably end up with an Xbox One also since the Kinect thing probably won't work with my new box.

On topic, that is.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
G#Gill

Gaming Consoles

Post by G#Gill »

As one gets older, exercising the brain is quite important. Games on computers, Xboxes, and all the others can be extremely beneficial, and keep the brain active. It also helps keep fingers nimble. Even if you don't get on with some of the games I'm sure there will be some that appeal. Perhaps strategy, there's a very good and involving game about building and then developing a village then into a town, sorting all the civic type issues and even forming an army in case of attack from other places. The thing that intrigues me most is the developing of the village, when you can see tiny little people actually walking, stopping to talk to somebody else then moving on to the farm where there are cows and sheep, which are moving around and grazing ! It fascinates me to see people and animals come alive in front of my eyes, and vehicles moving about their business.

When I was a child I used books as buildings, I had a few dinky toys and my people were the people shaped Chinese checkers pieces in six different colours. Of course the police were the blue ones, and the firemen were the red ones. My two older brothers and I used to take over the dining room floor and make a town layout, meticulously arranging the books so that streets were there. The adventures we had were amazing - mum didn't mind so long as we put everything back where we had got it from (it kept her three children well occupied for hours especially when it was raining outside !)

So you see why I find computer games so fascinating - the people move by themselves ! The houses build themselves ! It's like watching a film with you at the controls ! I'm not so keen on the violent games, but there are so many domestic type games, civic type games, there are some remarkable games with different sports like golf, and snooker, and football - Brilliant, and the programming of those sports games has been thoroughly researched so that movements are as realistic as possible. There must surely be one or two that suit most people. I find that the home desk top or lap top computer (or the x-box etc ) are the most incredible technological developments that have ever been !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Bruv

Gaming Consoles

Post by Bruv »

G#Gill...........What are you on ?.......and can I have some.

Just teasing, nice to hear your excitement at modern technology........mobile phones get me excited.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
G#Gill

Gaming Consoles

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1469818 wrote: G#Gill...........What are you on ?.......and can I have some.

Just teasing, nice to hear your excitement at modern technology........mobile phones get me excited.

Bruv, I don't believe in just saying something that occupies one line. That maybe a fault of mine - once I get going on a subject, I go on and on till people reading my words just nod off !

As far as mobile phones are concerned, I have a bog standard no frills or jingle bells model, I just want a form of communication that I can use when I need to when I am out and about ! It cost me £15 brand new from Sainsburys about 4 years ago. It has photo capabilities and a QWERTY keyboard, which is just the ticket for me. It's a Vodafone by the way. :)
FourPart

Gaming Consoles

Post by FourPart »

G#Gill;1469824 wrote: Bruv, I don't believe in just saying something that occupies one line. That maybe a fault of mine - once I get going on a subject, I go on and on till people reading my words just nod off !

As far as mobile phones are concerned, I have a bog standard no frills or jingle bells model, I just want a form of communication that I can use when I need to when I am out and about ! It cost me £15 brand new from Sainsburys about 4 years ago. It has photo capabilities and a QWERTY keyboard, which is just the ticket for me. It's a Vodafone by the way. :)
Compared to mine that's wayyyy hi-tech. I just use mine for texts & calls (primarily incoming). It has a camera capability (which has to have a dummy picture taken first as the first one comes up with weird blue-green colours all over it). I think it has a dictaphone facility - although not certain. It has an MP3 function, which is a total dead loss, as the headphone socket is the same as the charger / usb socket, which is a weird spade connector. As for a keyboard - mine's just got the standard 1/abc, 2/def etc type.

It's a crappy old Samsung SGH-E900 - I should have stuck with my even older Nokia.
G#Gill

Gaming Consoles

Post by G#Gill »

FourPart;1469829 wrote: Compared to mine that's wayyyy hi-tech. I just use mine for texts & calls (primarily incoming). It has a camera capability (which has to have a dummy picture taken first as the first one comes up with weird blue-green colours all over it). I think it has a dictaphone facility - although not certain. It has an MP3 function, which is a total dead loss, as the headphone socket is the same as the charger / usb socket, which is a weird spade connector. As for a keyboard - mine's just got the standard 1/abc, 2/def etc type.

It's a crappy old Samsung SGH-E900 - I should have stuck with my even older Nokia.

I can see why you wish you'd stayed with your old Nokia. I bought my hubby a Nokia a couple of years ago, bog standard, he just wanted something that he could make contact with somebody on, and vice versa. It cost me £10 brand new. My son still has a Nokia and he has had 1st class service with it over 10 years !
FourPart

Gaming Consoles

Post by FourPart »

I just don't get how people get to be so glued to their phones all the time. It must cost a fortune. A £25 topup generally lasts me about 3 months.

In my job, where I'm booking Careers Advice for clients, mainly on benefits, I have to take contact numbers, and 99% of the time they're mobile numbers, which is fine for getting in touch with them any time, but it makes me wonder how the hell they can possibly afford them - not only the phones themselves, but the call costs.
Ahso!

Gaming Consoles

Post by Ahso! »

The desktop has officially died so I've dusted off the laptop. I'm going to build a monster computer sometime soon but I just spent upwards of $35,000.00 on a new van.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Gaming Consoles

Post by Ahso! »

FourPart;1469856 wrote: I just don't get how people get to be so glued to their phones all the time. It must cost a fortune. A £25 topup generally lasts me about 3 months.

In my job, where I'm booking Careers Advice for clients, mainly on benefits, I have to take contact numbers, and 99% of the time they're mobile numbers, which is fine for getting in touch with them any time, but it makes me wonder how the hell they can possibly afford them - not only the phones themselves, but the call costs.I ditched the land line years ago so that saves a little. Also, my cell is mostly a business write off.

ETA: I purchased the Nexus 6. It's a good phone for me.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Gaming Consoles

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1474027 wrote: I ditched the land line years ago so that saves a little. Also, my cell is mostly a business write off.

ETA: I purchased the Nexus 6. It's a good phone for me.

In the UK our broadband is generally supplied via the landline, is it different in the States?

Provision of a decent broadband service is certainly the main reason I still have a landline.
Ahso!

Gaming Consoles

Post by Ahso! »

With the exception of satellite it's all carried to the buildings via either cable or phone lines. It isn't necessary to maintain a land line phone number to have internet access. Cellular service is different though.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Gaming Consoles

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1474047 wrote: With the exception of satellite it's all carried to the buildings via either cable or phone lines. It isn't necessary to maintain a land line phone number to have internet access. Cellular service is different though.

Here, in order to have broadband piped into the house you must pay the line rental which automatically gives you a landline number and is the major cost in the landline service.

Interesting to see the differences across the pond.
FourPart

Gaming Consoles

Post by FourPart »

I get my Broadband via Fibre Optic, separate from the phone cables.

In the office, at work, we're still waiting on the installation of our Broadband "Next Week". It's been due "Next Week" ever since the beginning of October, when we first moved in.
Ahso!

Gaming Consoles

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1474053 wrote: Here, in order to have broadband piped into the house you must pay the line rental which automatically gives you a landline number and is the major cost in the landline service.

Interesting to see the differences across the pond.Wow! What's the justification? Does the fee paid for the landline benefit the community somehow? I can't see any other reason to be forced to pay for the one in order to have the other.

What's the total monthly cost for cellular service for 3 gigs of data along with unlimited texting and nationwide calling? I pay $66.00 for that monthly for one number.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
FourPart

Gaming Consoles

Post by FourPart »

Ahso!;1474056 wrote: Wow! What's the justification? Does the fee paid for the landline benefit the community somehow? I can't see any other reason to be forced to pay for the one in order to have the other.

No - it benefits the shareholders of the ISPs.
Ahso!

Gaming Consoles

Post by Ahso! »

I also pay $75.00 monthly for internet access at my home (106 megs/down).

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Gaming Consoles

Post by Ahso! »

FourPart;1474057 wrote: No - it benefits the shareholders of the ISPs.That would be fine provided everyone had an equal amount of shares.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
FourPart

Gaming Consoles

Post by FourPart »

I typically pay about £30 (or just under) for Fibre Broadband, Phone (with unlimited free calls), and TV (not that I ever bother with that - it's just part of the package).

Plus, of course, having a proper ISP means that you get to use proper eMail addesses, as opposed to having to rely on the Open Door Security, Freebie Spam Magnets, such as Hotmail, GMail & Yahoo, which are constantly getting blocked by ISPs because of the Security & Spam risks they pose.
Ahso!

Gaming Consoles

Post by Ahso! »

FourPart;1474060 wrote: I typically pay about £30 (or just under) for Fibre Broadband, Phone (with unlimited free calls), and TV (not that I ever bother with that - it's just part of the package).

Plus, of course, having a proper ISP means that you get to use proper eMail addesses, as opposed to having to rely on the Open Door Security, Freebie Spam Magnets, such as Hotmail, GMail & Yahoo, which are constantly getting blocked by ISPs because of the Security & Spam risks they pose.That's not a bad deal, though it depends on median income for the area.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Gaming Consoles

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1474055 wrote: I get my Broadband via Fibre Optic, separate from the phone cables.

In the office, at work, we're still waiting on the installation of our Broadband "Next Week". It's been due "Next Week" ever since the beginning of October, when we first moved in.

OK, but you're still paying the line rental on it, the only difference is that it's fibre rather than twisted pair.
Bryn Mawr

Gaming Consoles

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1474056 wrote: Wow! What's the justification? Does the fee paid for the landline benefit the community somehow? I can't see any other reason to be forced to pay for the one in order to have the other.

What's the total monthly cost for cellular service for 3 gigs of data along with unlimited texting and nationwide calling? I pay $66.00 for that monthly for one number.

The justification is supposedly maintenance of the network which is provided by a different organization than the broadband supply.

3GB data plus unlimited texts plus 500min calls would set me back £12. If that's not enough talking then unlimited data and texts plus 2000min calls would be £18.
Bryn Mawr

Gaming Consoles

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1474058 wrote: I also pay $75.00 monthly for internet access at my home (106 megs/down).

My line rental is £15 with another £15 for ?40?MB broadband.
FourPart

Gaming Consoles

Post by FourPart »

My Line Rental is £11 / month. I think it's normally £12.50, but by paying the yearly amount up front you get a discount.

Return to “The Coffee Shop”