That time of year again

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Peter Lake

That time of year again

Post by Peter Lake »

As I already had a thread last year, I shall keep my tips for the National Hunt Season within that old thread, but In order to refrain from hogging the front page during the season, I shall dedicate this thread to all the big races needed for entrants to qualify for the Gold Cup In March 2015 Instead of posting separate threads.

In order for any entrant to qualify for the Gold Cup In March they Ideally compete In one of the Key trials, Including those pesky Irish raiders coming across the Irish Sea Intent on nicking our prize money. These races are for 3 milers

The Key trials for the Gold Cup are:

The Hennessy Gold Cup ( Grade 3 open to horses over 4 years old over 3 miles 2 and a half furlongs, 21 fences run at Newbury on a left handed track

The Betfair Chase ( Grade 1 open to horses over 5 years old over 3 miles and 18 fences run at Haydock Park on a right handed track

The Charlie Hall Chase ( Grade 2 open to horses over 5 years old over 3 miles, 1 furlong with 18 fences, run at Wetherby on a left handed track

The King George Stakes ( Grade 1 open to horses 4 years and over over 3 miles with 18 fences on a right handed track at Kempton Park

The Lexus Chase ( Grade 1 open to horses over 5 years over 3 miles and 17 fences on a right handed track at Leopardstown, Ireland.

The Argento Chase, for sponsership reasons now called The Cotswold Chase. ( Grade 2 for horses over 5 years old over 3 miles and 21 fences. Run at Cheltenham on a left handed track

The Irish Hennessy Gold Cup ( Grade 1 open to horse over 5 years over 3 miles and 17 fences. Run at Leopardstown, Ireland on a left handed track

Your roving racing reporter will bring you the lowdown on form and probability along with some Inside gossip from those In neighing circles.

What we will see Is the aristocracy of Irish and British Chasers battling It out during the winter months to earn their place In the Gold Cup.

This early on, I will stick my neck out here and state that the star of this season will be Sire De Grugy Ideally, I myself would like to see Gary Moore step him up from 2 miles to 3 miles and compete In some of these races, but the reality Is, he won't just as Nicky Henderson will not entertain stepping Sprinter Sacre up to 3 miles, however we are garunteed a showdown between the two this season.

Also sticking my neck out here and the one I will be watching very carefully this season Is Henderson's Simonsig who has been out of action for a year with Infection and failing trachea washes. Henderson looks like he's gearing him for the King George and this could be, providing he's fit, a real challenge to Silviniaco Conti this year.

All of this, Is what makes the trials for the Gold Cup so exciting.
Peter Lake

That time of year again

Post by Peter Lake »

I've done It again folks... Peter left his page running on top of mine and buggered off out... Note to self... check first.
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Post by Oscar Namechange »

That's better... Peter you are banned from my laptop
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

This March saw many upsets when champions faced Champions at the culmination of the season that Is The 4 day Cheltenham Festival. Due to rain and heavy going, many of the favourites got de-throned on the day but we saw some very exciting new prospects for this season. We also saw the canny trainer Willie Mullins come across the Irish sea with his pesky Irish raiders and trounce us.

For people like me, this Is about the horses not the races. We wait, hopeful In the Winners enclosure to see the aristocracy of National Hunt return to glory rather than be on the track watching the race. For me, In March, I was ecstatic to see my beautiful warriors Dynaste, Balthazar King and Fingal Bay receive the adoration they deserved.

As we lose the likes of The Wonder Mare Quevega, Sizing Europe, Big Bucks and Moreofthat to retirement, new superstars come up through the ranks.

I predicted a year ago that one of these would be the novice Tarquin De Suell and I'm keeping a close eye on his this year.

With the news that the one dubbed the Black Areoplane Sprinter Sacre, and Simonsig are back In training after heart scares and Infection, this sets up an exciting showdown In the 2015 Queen Mother Champion Chase against Sire De Grugy

Here's a video of the aristocracy that people like me will travel the length and breth of the country just In order to get up close... If that beautiful beautiful boy Dynaste Is declared for the King George on Boxing Day, that's my Christmas sorted.

2014 Cheltenham Festival Memories - Racing UK - YouTube
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
AnneBoleyn

That time of year again

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Oscar Namechange;1465656 wrote: That's better... Peter you are banned from my laptop

How do you propose to make that stick?
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

AnneBoleyn;1465738 wrote: How do you propose to make that stick?
Well, due to the campaign of my election, I will soon be working In another room with my laptop chained to my new desk
FourPart

That time of year again

Post by FourPart »

AnneBoleyn;1465738 wrote: How do you propose to make that stick?
With a big stick.
AnneBoleyn

That time of year again

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Oscar Namechange;1465740 wrote: Well, due to the campaign of my election, I will soon be working In another room with my laptop chained to my new desk

May I also suggest chaining the door if you are not in it?
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

This for me Is exciting... the names are In the hat for the 2015 Queen Mother Champion Chase In March

Pretty much as I expected but a surprise entry by Henderson with Simonsig with today's market of 14/1 mmmm What's henderson up to one can only wonder given he apparently Is gearing Simonsig to The King George on Boxing Day over 3 miles, yet the QMCC Is 2 miles. So what's he doing ? Stepping up the horse to 3 miles ? I am guessing that If he feels the horse Is not 100 % after being out for over a year, he'll not make the final declaration for the KG and concentrate on the QMCC In March... or vice versa.

Heading the market Is Sprinter Sacre and Sire De Grugy and If both make final declarations, the bookies will be fearing the forecast pay outs on the two. These two have never met before and It all depends on how Fit Henderson has Sprinter before the day.

Plenty of names In the hat but with trainers entering their horses for more than one race during the four days, I am also predicting that should Sprinter and Sire De Grugy be declared two days before, the field will drop dramatically with trainers not risking taking on these two big guns.

Interesting to see Western Warhorse entered here, This Is a pest of an equine who's behaviour has been called Into question before but he surprised everyone this year when he mugged my bet Champagne Fever on the line.

Hidden Cyclone Is also entered here. He gave Dynaste a challenge In the Ryanair this year.

What about Somersby who came In 6 lengths behind Sire De Grugy In March.

But no... even this early In the day, I will stick my neck out and say this Is a two horse race. Sprinter Sacre or Sire De Grugy. Let's see how they do In the trials. I'll be watching Simonsig closely. If fit, he could just upset the big guns on the day.hmmm
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

News from neighing circles...

Now I have a dilemma ... 29th November, my birthday. Normally, I would be at Newbury for the Hennessy Gold Cup but this year, the race falls on the day I should be In the North of England for the General meeting with the Chairman... need careful consideration here given that my driver, Is old Brian who got lost on the way home on the previous outings I was unfortunate enough to have him allocated to me. Devon and Leicester meetings that will forever be In my memory on account of finally getting home at 4 In the morning after many wrong turns.

So, back to neighing circles and news from Colin Tizzard that Cue Card Is back In training. Winner of last years Betfair Chase was trounced at the last fence by that little brown jobbie Silviniaco Conti In The King George on Boxing Day.

Cue Card was ruled out of the Gold Cup this year after a stress fracture. It appears he's doing great on the gallops at home and Tizzard seems to be gearing him for The King George and a rematch with Silviniaco Conti.

Rich Ricci has confirmed that Champagne Fever, a horse I rate highly who was mugged on the line at Cheltenham by the pesky Western Warhorse will be stepped up to 3 miles and may be targeted at The King George.

The King George on Boxing Day seems to be looking like a field of the grace of Greys what with Dynaste, Al Ferof, Champagne Fever, all Grey horses.

The Betfair Chase will give an Indication of what to expect In this race but It appears former Gold Cup winner, Bobs Worth has his days numbered. Yet rumours are that Nicky Henderson will target the horse at The Hennessy.

The Hennessy and that canny Irish Champion trainer, Willie Mullins will be looking to nick our prize money In gearing Djakadam to this race. The horse was unbeaten until falling and crashing to the turf 4 out In the JLT Novices Chase at Cheltenham this March. Bright New Dawn Is another Mullin's novice that needs a close eye as he could just upset the big guns. Mullin's does not bring a novice across the Irish Sea as a raider for nowt. Even this early on, a good each way punt I feel.

Henderson has hinted Bobs Worth has 9 options for the season with the Hennessy being one. Yet I feel, this Is the same kind of scenario we had with Long Run. Bobs Worth was totally outclassed last season In the Betfair and by Silviniaco Conti and Dynaste.
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

My Tent Or Yours out for the season with tendon Injury.

Now watch the bookies scramble to adjust the market for the Champion Hurdle In March 2015. I predict this could put Jezki odds on and Annie Power close behind
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Well I know exactly where I'll be on the 11 th March 2015...

What a difference a year makes. Simonsig, The New One, and Sprinter Sacre back In training after being out all year with various problems

The two have never met before, but bookies are being rather generous on both Sire De Grugy and Sprinter Sacre's showdown In The Queen Mother Champion Chase In March.

With Sprinter currently heading the market at 5/2 and Sire at 3/1 It looks like the bookies can't call between the two... neither can I. However, at those prices, It's worth taking the risk on anti-post this early on and going for a win on each.

Sprinter Sacre has been out for a year with heart problems. yet, those In doubt, just think back to 2009 when Denman came back after an Identical heart scare and won the Hennessy Gold Cup under top weight.

For those of you who don't know the history of this remarkable horse.... Nicky Henderson's buyer Minty bought a job lot of 100 horses and In the middle of them was a bizzarre freak of nature that Is Sprinter Sacre, the product of a mistake, after the wrong mare was sent to stud.

As for his heart scare... It's very Interesting that when you look at champions, the absolute warriors of National Hunt, Sprinter Sacre, Denman and Red Rum all have enlarged hearts and trachea's... so does Frankel.

If you ever watch one horse race... then watch this bizzare freak of nature, a giant of a beast, that Is Sprinter Sacre from last year. Will Sire De Grugy beat him ? Wow what a race It's going to be !!!

On the 11 th March i'll be In the winners enclosure to welcome one of them back.

Cheltenham Festival 2013 - Sportingbet Queen Mother Champion Chase - Sprinter Sacre - YouTube

RIP Sanctuaire
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

The names are In the hat today for The Betfair Chase. That's my day planned for the 22nd November... I'm off to Haydock Park to be In the presence of these Grade 1 Steeple Chasers and aristocracy of Jumps racing.

As I expected, Silviniaco Conti and Cue Card back In action will face each other here but some other names In the hat surprise me and could leave this race open.

Silvinaco Conti heads the market at 5/2 today after he beat Cue Card In the King George In December. Cue Card 4/1

Yet some names that could be a good each way punt. Although, sentiment wise, I adore the Grey that Is Dynaste, he was outclassed last year In this race by Cue Card and Silviniaco Conti.

Holywell could upset the placings here... a duel seasoned Cheltenham stayer that is just sheer class. 15/2

Last year I predicted that one of the best English novices I had seen In a long while and he went on to win the JLT Novices Chase at Cheltenham In March. Taquin Du Seuil again could upset things In this race... at 8/1 he's worth considering.

Another Is Smad Place, another Grey. Seasoned Cheltenham stayer and was really unlucky to get mugged on the line In March. Without that hill on the run In, things could be very different here. 16/1

Al Ferof Is another Grey and another Paul Nicholl's entry. He's been a 2 miler and has only recently stepped up to 3 miles when he ran the King George In December. Depends entirely on how his schooling has gone during the winter. I have a sneaky suspicion that possibly Nicholl's may be looking at him not as a contender but a pace maker for Silviniaco Conti. 20/1

Triolo DAlene last years Hennessy winner will have the stamina for this race... depends on the weights nearer the day. 20/1

The Giant Bolster ran like a warrior In the Gold Cup In March... possible 20/1

Double Ross gave Taquin Du Sueil a late challenge this year at Cheltenham. 25/1

But who's the rank Outsider ? For goodness sake Waley-Cohen.... give It up now and retire Lenny Long Run
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

The first of the trials Saturday 1st November at Wetherby with The Charlie Hall Chase

This Is always a tough one, as for all of them, It's the first real testing outing after being roughed up over the summer.

Some Interesting old Favourites In the hat here and sentiment wise, I would love to see that little brown jobby Silvinaco Conti win this. Very often, this race Is a good guide to the next big race The Betfair Chase at Haydock Park. Winner of The King George Stakes In December. I would Imagine this Is Paul Nicholl's main entrant.

Two years ago I tipped Taquin Du Seuill as the most exciting English novice chaser I have seen recently and If his win In the JLT Novices Chase was anything to go by In March, then he has to have serious consideration. He had a nice little run out two weeks ago and looked good and also at just 7 years old, we really don't know just yet what he's cable of. My only Issue with this boy Is that he's French bred and French horses tend to lack on stamina for one, and for two, they are Initially trained In France over lower fences. When you hear a commentator say In a race ' he brushed his way through the top', you can bet, It's a French bred horse. Having said that, Jonjo O'Neill knows how to train that trait out of a horse. Stamina wise, the win In March was over just 2 miles 4 furlongs, his romp two weeks ago, 2.6 miles... can he hold out for 3 miles? He may tire early but he has to be worth an each way punt.

The Giant Bolster Third In this years Gold Cup. If ever a horse deserved a big title, It has to be him although he did win The Argento Chase last season. This will be his first seasonal appearance Saturday and no doubt, run In a hood and visor to stop him being pesky. He favours, good to soft and heavy going. A fall of rain the night before on Wetherby may be all he needs. Stamina wise, I have no question at all. He has to be up there somewhere In the placings.

Ballypatrick Is one of those entrants we call ' An Irish Raider'... they come across the sea to nick our prizes and Channon Is no fool, he wouldn't bring bring the horse across for nowt. He had a nice little run out In April at Wetherby but for me, he has one too many ' unseated' and pulled up for my liking. Just 1 win out of 17 starts, not good but again, he's still a youngish horse who could surprise.

Double Ross gave Taquin Du Sueill a bit of a challenge In March In the JLT Novices. Again, a young horse with much to prove but fell on his first outing of the season two weeks ago. Could be a blip but given the other contenders, not one I'd consider.

First Lieutenant Now here's an old favourite. According to some pundits, one of two ' superstars' taking on the big guns and quite rightly, he deserves that accolade. An Irish Raider who ain't crossing the sea for nowt. Stamina wise, I can't fault him and If any other deserved a big title, again, It;s him. You just can't knock this boy down, he fights every Inch, a warrior of National Hunt who will never give In until he's over the line. A Grade 1 Hurdler and Chaser coming In the places In the Lexus Chase, Hennessy Gold Cup at Leopardstown, and the Punchestown Gold Cup, 3 of the most gruelling races In the National Hunt Calender. Has to be of serious consideration.

I need tea and will look at Harry Topper, Medermit, Menorah, Rocky Creek and Wayward Prince later
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

An Interlude here with confirmed entrants for The King George Boxing Day

Silviniaco Conti (5),

Simonsig (6),

Cue Card (8),

Champagne Fever (10)

, Dynaste (10),

Holywell (14),

OFaolains Boy (14)

, Taquin Du Seuil (16)

, Al Ferof (20)

, Bobs Worth (20)

, Boston Bob (20)

, Ma Filleule (20)

, Ballycasey (25)

, Captain Chris (25)

, Lord Windermere (25)

, Morning Assembly (25)

, Oscar Whisky (25)

, Wonderful Charm (25)

, Don Cossack (28)

, Benefficient (33)

Dear God, I think I've died and gone to Grade 1 horse heaven.

Champagne Fever, Simonsig, Dynaste and Al Ferof.... that;s the most Greys I've seen In a line up for a long time
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Oscar Namechange;1467007 wrote: The first of the trials Saturday 1st November at Wetherby with The Charlie Hall Chase

This Is always a tough one, as for all of them, It's the first real testing outing after being roughed up over the summer.

Some Interesting old Favourites In the hat here and sentiment wise, I would love to see that little brown jobby Silvinaco Conti win this. Very often, this race Is a good guide to the next big race The Betfair Chase at Haydock Park. Winner of The King George Stakes In December. I would Imagine this Is Paul Nicholl's main entrant.

Two years ago I tipped Taquin Du Seuill as the most exciting English novice chaser I have seen recently and If his win In the JLT Novices Chase was anything to go by In March, then he has to have serious consideration. He had a nice little run out two weeks ago and looked good and also at just 7 years old, we really don't know just yet what he's cable of. My only Issue with this boy Is that he's French bred and French horses tend to lack on stamina for one, and for two, they are Initially trained In France over lower fences. When you hear a commentator say In a race ' he brushed his way through the top', you can bet, It's a French bred horse. Having said that, Jonjo O'Neill knows how to train that trait out of a horse. Stamina wise, the win In March was over just 2 miles 4 furlongs, his romp two weeks ago, 2.6 miles... can he hold out for 3 miles? He may tire early but he has to be worth an each way punt.

The Giant Bolster Third In this years Gold Cup. If ever a horse deserved a big title, It has to be him although he did win The Argento Chase last season. This will be his first seasonal appearance Saturday and no doubt, run In a hood and visor to stop him being pesky. He favours, good to soft and heavy going. A fall of rain the night before on Wetherby may be all he needs. Stamina wise, I have no question at all. He has to be up there somewhere In the placings.

Ballypatrick Is one of those entrants we call ' An Irish Raider'... they come across the sea to nick our prizes and Channon Is no fool, he wouldn't bring bring the horse across for nowt. He had a nice little run out In April at Wetherby but for me, he has one too many ' unseated' and pulled up for my liking. Just 1 win out of 17 starts, not good but again, he's still a youngish horse who could surprise.

Double Ross gave Taquin Du Sueill a bit of a challenge In March In the JLT Novices. Again, a young horse with much to prove but fell on his first outing of the season two weeks ago. Could be a blip but given the other contenders, not one I'd consider.

First Lieutenant Now here's an old favourite. According to some pundits, one of two ' superstars' taking on the big guns and quite rightly, he deserves that accolade. An Irish Raider who ain't crossing the sea for nowt. Stamina wise, I can't fault him and If any other deserved a big title, again, It;s him. You just can't knock this boy down, he fights every Inch, a warrior of National Hunt who will never give In until he's over the line. A Grade 1 Hurdler and Chaser coming In the places In the Lexus Chase, Hennessy Gold Cup at Leopardstown, and the Punchestown Gold Cup, 3 of the most gruelling races In the National Hunt Calender. Has to be of serious consideration.

I need tea and will look at Harry Topper, Medermit, Menorah, Rocky Creek and Wayward Prince later

Just gone In for the latest betting and see First Luitenant hasn't made the final declarations as have some others.

Quite typical when you have such a strong favourite... trainers tend to hedge their bets elsewhere.... I'm predicting FL will now be geared toward Irish soil Instead and the JNwine.com Champion Chase.

So just Menorah, Wayward Prince and Medermit to cover.

Menorah... Ran a shocker In the Rynair Chase this March but came back to win at Sandown In April then went on to run a shocker at Sandown In April... I like this Phillip Hobb's Chaser but a little too unpredictable for my liking.

Wayward Prince..Didn't Impress In March this year and fell In April... Again, too unpredictable but having said that he's used to 3 miles plus and has the stamina... An accident such as a fall and bringing down of the big guns could see him placed.

Medermit... The Grey of the race and French but has a no fall record. I like this Alan King horse. He's had 3 outings early this year and didn't disgrace himself although failed to make a real Impression.

So, for me.... I have no choice here but to go for a win on my little brown Jobby, the one who made my 2013 Boxing Day a right Christmas Cracker. Silviniaco Conti the favourite

I'm sticking him with a straight forecast of Taquin Du Seuill behind him and an each way punt on both TDS and The Giant Bolster.
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Oscar Namechange;1467039 wrote:

Menorah... Ran a shocker In the Rynair Chase this March but came back to win at Sandown In April then went on to run a shocker at Sandown In April... I like this Phillip Hobb's Chaser but a little too unpredictable for my liking.

The thing us devotee's love about National Hunt, Is just as the pundits write them off, they'll come back totally unpredicted and take your breath away. It's that moment you see an old warrior that you gave up on return to a blaze of glory.

Silviniaco Conti ran a lack luster race and just didn't fire. By the 3rd last, I was expecting to see that something extra that saw off Cue Card In the King George but no. He finished a disappointing 5th. I'm sure questions will be asked but this race Is always a toughy given that for many of them, It's the first real test of the season.

As I predicted though, Tarquin Du Seuill finished 2 nd and endorsed my prediction two years ago that he could be a future Grade 1 champ. Very promising performance. Place pay out for me.

But my hearty congratulations to Phillip Hobb's today and the one we all wrote off. Menorah returning to that old form and taking a comfortable win. Ran an absolute blinder. Fluent and found that something extra... that's what we like to see.
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Yippee doody... Names and prices In the hat today for the Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury.

Now... the race Is on 29th November. I love Newbury race course and It's one of my most frequented and the Hennessy Is one of the most gruelling for Steeple Chasers. Something magic always happen here when the aristocracy of Grade 1's come together for a clash of the titans. However, duty calls and Instead I must be In Blackpool for the Party Conference. Such a shame to miss It as Newbury does the best hospitality for us devotee's.

Looking at the names In the hat.... one or two stand out Immediately for me...Smad Place, my husbands favourite race horse, Fingal Bay and Midnight Prayer

More on the form later
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

First of all... what a fantastic win for one of my favourite Chasers today at Clonmel, Ireland. Don't think I've quite recovered at seeing him getting mugged on the line In a photograph at Cheltenham In March by that pesky Western Warhorse. Today's win puts this boy today at 10/1 joint favourite for the 2015 Gold Cup. Champagne Fever

Every chance I'll be mozzying on down to Cheltenham tomorrow for some proper National Hunt racing. Many of my favourites racing tomorrow here and It's my chance to get up close to the aristocracy of equine Grade 1's and have some horse snot blown over me In the pre-parade ring.

There Is one boy I want to see again, the absolute warrior that Is the champion Cross Country and second In the Grand National this year, Balthazar King... love, love, love this boy. He attacks fences like a lion and providing he's not pulled between now and tomorrow afternoon, think I will wait for him In the Winners enclosure to get some pics.

So...

1.15 pm... Oscar Time will be the one to beat here but I am going to stick my neck out with an old favourite Fruity O'Rooney

1.50 pm Robin's Command Is the danger but again, I'm sticking with an old favourite each way Rio De Sivola

2.25 pm... A small field but quite hard to call. Slight blip this year with Champagne West coming 4th last time out but given the Incidents during the race that saw him badly hampered, I'll stick with him. Yet Urban Hymn and Colour Squadron will be the dangers

3.00 pm Just can't see It going any other way bar an accident or Incident than the unbeaten Blaklion .....Port Melon runs this race... let's hope history doesn't repeat It'self here last time at Cheltenham when the horse spooked, bolted, crashed through the rails and took out two race goers In The Best Mate enclosure.

3.35 pm see's more old favourites. Ahhh dear old Caruthers, one of the tiniest race horses on the circuit and winner of the 2011 Hennessy Gold Cup... For me has to Balthazar King although Any Currency could be a danger here. Balthazar King just won the Cross County when he was In a photograph with Any Currency. Worth a r/v f/c though.

4.05 pm an Commitment for me
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Oscar Namechange;1467682 wrote: First of all... what a fantastic win for one of my favourite Chasers today at Clonmel, Ireland. Don't think I've quite recovered at seeing him getting mugged on the line In a photograph at Cheltenham In March by that pesky Western Warhorse. Today's win puts this boy today at 10/1 joint favourite for the 2015 Gold Cup. Champagne Fever

Every chance I'll be mozzying on down to Cheltenham tomorrow for some proper National Hunt racing. Many of my favourites racing tomorrow here and It's my chance to get up close to the aristocracy of equine Grade 1's and have some horse snot blown over me In the pre-parade ring.

There Is one boy I want to see again, the absolute warrior that Is the champion Cross Country and second In the Grand National this year, Balthazar King... love, love, love this boy. He attacks fences like a lion and providing he's not pulled between now and tomorrow afternoon, think I will wait for him In the Winners enclosure to get some pics.

So...

1.15 pm... Oscar Time will be the one to beat here but I am going to stick my neck out with an old favourite Fruity O'Rooney

1.50 pm Robin's Command Is the danger but again, I'm sticking with an old favourite each way Rio De Sivola

2.25 pm... A small field but quite hard to call. Slight blip this year with Champagne West coming 4th last time out but given the Incidents during the race that saw him badly hampered, I'll stick with him. Yet Urban Hymn and Colour Squadron will be the dangers

3.00 pm Just can't see It going any other way bar an accident or Incident than the unbeaten Blaklion .....Port Melon runs this race... let's hope history doesn't repeat It'self here last time at Cheltenham when the horse spooked, bolted, crashed through the rails and took out two race goers In The Best Mate enclosure.

3.35 pm see's more old favourites. Ahhh dear old Caruthers, one of the tiniest race horses on the circuit and winner of the 2011 Hennessy Gold Cup... For me has to Balthazar King although Any Currency could be a danger here. Balthazar King just won the Cross County when he was In a photograph with Any Currency. Worth a r/v f/c though.

4.05 pm an Commitment for me

1.15 Nope ... Oscar Time unseated rider and Fruity O'Rooney 6th

1.50 Rio De Sivola badly hampered and forced Into unseating rider through no fault of his own.

2.25 Yep, I was right... Champagne Fever an effortless win

3,00 Blaklion 2nd

4.05 Nope Commitment 9th

Now, I didn't get chance to get to Cheltenham today so I am pig sick... The one horse I would have made the trip for just to see In the parade ring and welcome him back to the winners enclosure, that absolute lion and warrior Balthazar King Unusual for him but a serious error at the early stages saw a miracle of how Richard Johnson managed to stay on the horse. Great recovery. Lost ground so I was worried... another mistake at the 19th but no... The Glenfarclas Cross Country over almost 4 miles and 32 obstacles were swatted aside to win by one and a half lengths... Never even broke a sweat. Now watch the bookies slash the odds for the same race In March 2015.

Dear little Caruthers 5th... Any Currency 4th.

Due to size of bet on Balthazar King.... slight profit on the day.
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Another fantastic days racing at Cheltenham again tomorrow.

12.40 These races are really tough to call... this Is where Flat runners make a step up to hurdles so really difficult to predict. These first races are often where they'll make blunders as they gain experience. I'm going with Earth Amber each way who Impressed me at Southwell. I'm hoping to see Improvement from the horse here.

1.15...I'm surprised to see Kings Palace the short favourite here. I believe he was the most over rated favourite In March, falling at the last. Having said that, the race was full of Incidents and It seemed he couldn't get back Into a stride. On the hill, off the bridle when asked for more, he produced nothing. Could have been the dramatic Incidents that knocked the wind out him. I'll go for a straight win on Sausalito Sunrise

1.50... Wow this Is a tough one to call... so many favourites here that I would love to see return to form. Quite a few of them needing to regain form that It's difficult to settle on just one. I'd be very happy to see some of old warriors such as Sam Winner, Restless Harry, Cape Tribulation, The Package, Chicago Grey, Gevrey Chambertin, Golden Chieften, and Pigeon Island... I'd love to see any one of them come storming up the Cheltenham Hill... I'll only be chancing small bets here.... I'll go for Lamb Or Cod win and a small each way bet on Golden Chieften, he knows that hill well .

2.30 Dear God, If ever one needed and deserved a win, It has to be Champion Court. But this Cheltenham and the two that finished together In March here were Present View who I believe only got the edge In the final stages because Attaglance was badly hampered on the run In by a protruding gate. However, since then, he seems to have lost his way.... Present View for me

3.00 Ahhhh we are not worthy.... This race see's the 2014 Grand National winner Pineau De Re Yet In March he couldn't get past Fingal Bay and Southfield Theatre.... Vivaldi Collognes each way

3.35... This Is a Juvenile Stakes and I don't like Juvenile races to risk money. I will be watching Glasgow Central though

4.05 This Is a Mares Hurdle... Miss Estela
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Oscar Namechange;1467702 wrote: Another fantastic days racing at Cheltenham again tomorrow.

12.40 These races are really tough to call... this Is where Flat runners make a step up to hurdles so really difficult to predict. These first races are often where they'll make blunders as they gain experience. I'm going with Earth Amber each way who Impressed me at Southwell. I'm hoping to see Improvement from the horse here.

1.15...I'm surprised to see Kings Palace the short favourite here. I believe he was the most over rated favourite In March, falling at the last. Having said that, the race was full of Incidents and It seemed he couldn't get back Into a stride. On the hill, off the bridle when asked for more, he produced nothing. Could have been the dramatic Incidents that knocked the wind out him. I'll go for a straight win on Sausalito Sunrise

1.50... Wow this Is a tough one to call... so many favourites here that I would love to see return to form. Quite a few of them needing to regain form that It's difficult to settle on just one. I'd be very happy to see some of old warriors such as Sam Winner, Restless Harry, Cape Tribulation, The Package, Chicago Grey, Gevrey Chambertin, Golden Chieften, and Pigeon Island... I'd love to see any one of them come storming up the Cheltenham Hill... I'll only be chancing small bets here.... I'll go for Lamb Or Cod win and a small each way bet on Golden Chieften, he knows that hill well .

2.30 Dear God, If ever one needed and deserved a win, It has to be Champion Court. But this Cheltenham and the two that finished together In March here were Present View who I believe only got the edge In the final stages because Attaglance was badly hampered on the run In by a protruding gate. However, since then, he seems to have lost his way.... Present View for me

3.00 Ahhhh we are not worthy.... This race see's the 2014 Grand National winner Pineau De Re Yet In March he couldn't get past Fingal Bay and Southfield Theatre.... Vivaldi Collognes each way

3.35... This Is a Juvenile Stakes and I don't like Juvenile races to risk money. I will be watching Glasgow Central though

4.05 This Is a Mares Hurdle... Miss Estela

Home, tired, wet and cold. What a great days racing... errr not as Is my case. :wah: Appalling ground conditions and low sun.

12.40.Earth Amber 7th

1.15... well, I got one thing right. Kings Palace It appeared did have the wind taken out of him last time out due to Incidents In the race. Beat my Sausalito Sunrise Into 2nd

1.50... well, I did say I'd be happy to see any of the old warriors return to form. My heartiest Congrats to Paul Nichols . Great to see Sam Winner return to form and score a win. Lamb or Cod was pulled up as was Golden Chieften

2.30 Present View 3rd... went each way after taking 5's so money back

3,00 Vivaldi Collognes 4th

3.35.. Didn't have a bet but Glasgow Central pulled up

4.05... Miss Estela 5th

Out of profit on the day.
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

New from neighing circles and on the one that Is the legend of Hunt Ball

Those unaware of this boy may not know that this boy In March 2012 beat 19 other runners and came storming up the Cheltenham Hill by 19th lengths carrying an astonishing top weight handicap of 12 stone. That Is one of steeple chasing greatest feats. But no, what did his owner ' Knotty' Anthony Knott do ? He sold him to America and Equine Atlantic. Derrrrrrrrrrrr

Hunty didn't like It one bit although he did finish a respectable 9 th In the USA Grand National but after just one season Equine Atlantic realised he wasn't filling his potential and graciously shipped him back to the UK to join Nicky Henderson's yard. He had to spend time In Quarantine but he got a huge fan welcome when he touched down at Heathrow Airport. Us devotee's do like to welcome our champs back home.

Today's news Is Hunty Is ready for the season and will race at Sandown on Saturday.... Yeehaw
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Sad and devastating news today the the champion chaser, Sire De Grugy Is out for the season with a hip problem. He will not make the 2015 Cheltenham Festival to defend his crown nor the Tingle Creek at Sandown.

This leaves the path clear for Sprinter Sacre to regain his crown and preserve his unbeaten record.

Now watch the bookies scramble the Queen Mother Champion Chase odds. Betting currently suspended.
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

So all these Corinthians we travel length and bredth of the country to adore and Idolise...

The Fly Is back. After losing his crown as Champion Hurdler at Cheltenham this year to Jezki, the 10 year old proves he's still got It and Is on his way to the play off next March by winning at Punchestown this week.

With those who have been out for the year with various problems, It's going to see some exciting showdowns and possibly crowns reclaimed. Back In action this season are Sprinter Sacre, The New One, Simonsig and Cue Card.

So a look at some of those from Cheltenham last March for those who remotely care and some of the big names I have mentioned so far.

RIP Our Conor and Solwhit, both such beautiful boys... You'll be both so missed...Mad Moose features here also.

2013 Full Cheltenham Festival Closer - Racing UK - YouTube
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

So with next of the trials on Saturday 22nd November, we see the Betfair Chase.

Seeing Silviniaco Conti not fire In The Charlie Hall Chase coming a lack lustre 5 th and Cue Card returning this season to finish a disappointing 4th In the Haldon Gold Cup, It's easy to think the wheels have come off rather than just a wobble that I suspect they were. It has to be remembered that both of these horses like Haydock Park and the right handed swing and know the track well. It's a gruelling race due to the sharp angles and the rest of the field may struggle.

Another that knows the track well, Is my beautiful, beautiful boy Dynaste Winner of the Ryanair Chase and runner up behind Cue Card here in 2013

Menorah, Taquin Du Seuil, Double Ross and Medermit were all In front of Silviniaco Conti at Wetherby In The Charlie Hall Chase but can they swing right handed and take the sharp angles.?

One horse, I believe just Improves each and every time Is Taquin Du Seuil but not to be overlooked here Is Harry Topper who came home 25 lengths clear In The Denman Chase. Nor should we over look The Giant Bolster placed In the Gold Cup.

It's a toughy... Sentiment wants me to see Silvinaco Conti take the crown but my bets lie with Taquin Du Seuil and Dynaste

I think Silviniaco will up there In the placings.
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

While eyes will be on Haydock Park tomorrow and the Crème de la crème of Grade 1 for the Betfair.... some old favourites and warriors line up at Ascot.

12.25 The one so many have been waiting for and that's to see Hunty, Hunt Ball back on English turf. I have to go for a win on Ballycoe here but will still be cheering our Hunty all the way home.

13.00 Straight win on Minella On Line

13.00 Is there anything here In this Mares Hurdle that could possibly emulate The Wonder Mare Quevega ? I doubt It but I'll go for a win on Dark Spirit

14.05 Wow, what a line up !!! Some real champs here... Wishful Thinking will always be remembered for crashing through the rails at the Cheltenham Festival, taking out several spectators and a French photographer frightening the life out of Camilla Parker Bowles who was watching while the horse walked away unharmed.

Rajdhani Express Is a horse I rate highly but unfortunately, that muppet, Sam Waley-Cohen rides.

Somersby came In behind Sire De Grugy In the Queen Mum Chase this year. He's one of those old favourites that no-one minds losing money to. Sweats like a glassblowers bum though and gets very warm.

My bet lies with Al Ferof.. A two miler who was stepped up to 3 miles by Nicholl's In the King George but started to paddle around 4 out. This 2 mile 3 furlong trip could be well within his reach.

14.40 I just can't see anything beating Willie Mullin's star of Cheltenham, Faugheen.. At 1/3 I've got a feeling he'll get shorter on the course. I've said last year that Nicholl's Lac Fontana Is one of the most exciting Novice English Chasers I've seen so a straight forecast here Faugheen/Lac Fontana

15.50 Grey Gold each way
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

For those you who never saw It... Wishful Thinking at Cheltenham 2012... horse was fine but It was a hell of a crash out..

Horse falls into crowd at Cheltenham ( Richard Johnson ) - YouTube
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Oscar Namechange;1468038 wrote: While eyes will be on Haydock Park tomorrow and the Crème de la crème of Grade 1 for the Betfair.... some old favourites and warriors line up at Ascot.

12.25 The one so many have been waiting for and that's to see Hunty, Hunt Ball back on English turf. I have to go for a win on Ballycoe here but will still be cheering our Hunty all the way home.

13.00 Straight win on Minella On Line

13.00 Is there anything here In this Mares Hurdle that could possibly emulate The Wonder Mare Quevega ? I doubt It but I'll go for a win on Dark Spirit

14.05 Wow, what a line up !!! Some real champs here... Wishful Thinking will always be remembered for crashing through the rails at the Cheltenham Festival, taking out several spectators and a French photographer frightening the life out of Camilla Parker Bowles who was watching while the horse walked away unharmed.

Rajdhani Express Is a horse I rate highly but unfortunately, that muppet, Sam Waley-Cohen rides.

Somersby came In behind Sire De Grugy In the Queen Mum Chase this year. He's one of those old favourites that no-one minds losing money to. Sweats like a glassblowers bum though and gets very warm.

My bet lies with Al Ferof.. A two miler who was stepped up to 3 miles by Nicholl's In the King George but started to paddle around 4 out. This 2 mile 3 furlong trip could be well within his reach.

14.40 I just can't see anything beating Willie Mullin's star of Cheltenham, Faugheen.. At 1/3 I've got a feeling he'll get shorter on the course. I've said last year that Nicholl's Lac Fontana Is one of the most exciting Novice English Chasers I've seen so a straight forecast here Faugheen/Lac Fontana

15.50 Grey Gold each way

Joy oh Joy

Well, It was close. Taquin Du Suile was Pulled up early on. Something amiss there and I wouldn't be surprised to here their was a problem but I hope not serious.

The winner of the Charlie Hall Chase Menorah absolutely refused to give In and persisitently challenged the leader. Yet, looks like I was right In that my little brown Jobbie's wheels hadn't come off and was just a wobble last time out. When It mattered, pressed by the challenger, he'd returned to his previous ability to find that extra gear.

I am absolutely ecstatic to see the winner of the Betfair Chase 2014 as Silviniaco Conti.... my heartiest congratulations to Paul Nicholl's.

Dynaste finished 3 rd and David Pipe announcing he's on his way to Kempton for The King George. It appears he didn't like the heavy going here today.

Colin Tizzard also announced today that Cue Card will head to the King George also after leading all the way, tiring early on... again, heavy going may have been his downfall. Finished 4th.

Now on to Ascot...

12.25 The one we all wanted to see, Hunty Hunt Ball finished 3rd at 8/1... Place pay out

1.00 Nope

1.30 Dark Spirit Winner

14.05 Yep, I was right, the 2 miles 3 furlong trip suited him down to the ground... Al Ferof winner That old favourite warrior Somersby 2nd and Wishful Thinking 3rd

14.40 Right again... nothing could touch Faugheen and he maintains his unbeaten record Lac Fontana 3rd

3.15 Nope

Small profit on the day
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

The bookies have scrambled following the Betfair today.

Silviniaco Conti slashed from 8/1 to 4/1 for The King George

Siviniaco Conti slasjed from 14/1 to 8/1 for the Gold Cup In March 2015
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Another of Willy Mullin's Cheltenham super stars notched up another win this afternoon at Navan, Ireland.

Going off at 2/11... I was going to touch him at that price although It's probably the easiest way to legally buy money.

Bookies Immediately scrambled following the effortless win... don't think he even came off the bridle.

Vautour slashed to 7/2 for The Arkle 2015 and 3/1 for the 2015 JLT Novices' Chase

Bloody Irish trainers... coming over here nicking all our prizes with their Irish raiders
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

So with Silviniaco Conti earning his ticket yesterday for the Gold Cup In March, up next In the trails, Is The Hennessy Gold Cup, Saturday 29 th November.My favourite race course, Newbury and I am going to miss getting close to some of the best as duty calls elsewhere.

The favourite here Is Djakadam and It appears the bookies are taking serious money on him but can he be the first 5 year old to win the Cup.? Bloody Willie Mullins again. Yet, he doesn't bring a raider across the Irish sea for nowt. One of the most canny trainers In the Industry, he must be confident to take on the Hennessy with such a young horse. I am not so sure on this french bred pretender to the throne. He fell last time out at Cheltenham In the JLT Novices chase that Taquin Du Seuil took the crown. Could have been a blip but I still think he's too young. His wins at Leopardstown have been In very small fields. The fall at Cheltenham could have been due to finding himself In a larger field. Some young horses take time gaining the experience of having other runners all around them.

Harry Topper pulled up yesterday but Is a robust chaser If he Is declared... I wouldn't rule him out.

There's some real warriors In this race... Ballynagour, Present View, Rocky Creek, Sam Winner, Triolo D'alene, all seasoned 3 milers who have the experience to outclass the favourite.

I would love to see a return to form on the Paul Nicholl's Grey, Unioniste Realistically, I think he'll be out paced.

For me, one horse stands out over and above the rest... Fingal Bay... what a warrior ! Gives his all every time. A seasoned Cheltenham stayer over 3 miles plus. Wins 8, seconds 2 out of just 12 starts. Won at Exeter In February on very heavy going... In March at Cheltenham he beat the Grand National winner under top weight. I've taken 8/1 anti-post.

Another that stands out to me and deserves to take a big title Is Smad Place... beaten In a photograph at Cheltenham In the RSA by O'Faolains Boy by a whisker... he;s a seasoned stayer and 3 miler but Cheltenham proves time after time elusive to him, He's there but never finds the extra gear to get him up the hill. With the flat run In at Newbury, It could make all the difference, I've taken 10/1 anti post each way on Alan Kings beautiful grey boy.

Alan King also has Midnight Prayer here and It would be plain rude not to take 20/1 anti post. Devastating form last season especially at Cheltenham on heavy going. Got to be worth a punt.

That's my 3...
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Just taken 33/1 on Balthazar King for the 2015 Grand National
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Over to Fairyhouse Ireland Saturday and another of Willie Mullin's superstars. Annie Power... seasonal debut here

Now In March, myself I believed he made the wrong decision In targeting the World Hurdle and not The Mares Hurdles but what do I know ? She's a devastating young mare who was unbeaten. Jumping Is perfection along with a devastating cruising speed. Rated 162/180, but how will she do against the boys ?

The only blip on her unbeaten record was In The World Hurdle where Moreofthat took her on the hill, for her at the time, unknown territory.

I can't wait to see her again but she'll be short on price.

I'll go for Guitar Pete In the 2.30
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

A few more bets at Newbury Saturday while I am away.

12.50 Turn over Sivola carries top weight... but should go off around 10/1... worth an each way punt.

13.50... I like this Nicky Henderson horse, Call The Cops ... should go off around 8/1... another each way punt.

14.25... Some real quality here... Medinas, one of the tiniest horses In training and winner of the 2013 Coral Cup. I'll go for a win here on Shotgun Paddy...
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

News from neighing circles and Jonjo O'Neill has thrown Holywell Into the hat for the King George..... Now that will shake the field up If he's declared.

Hollywell, 2013 Pertemps champion and 2014 Bayliss and Harding winner where he came up the Cheltenham hill still on the bridle.

Blimey
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Devastating news just come In.... Sprinter Sacre and Simonsig out for the year... Reason, Nicky Henderson not happy with them... at least he puts the horses welfare first.
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Having failed to even get a place let alone a winner at Newbury and Fairyhouse, I hope this Is a blip In my form watching.

So next up, Is the Tingle Creek at Sandown on Saturday.... this should have been a two horse race between Sprinter Sacre and Sire De Grugy but both are out for the season.

This leaves the field wide open..

I'm going for a hefty bet here each way on Somersby..

But hang on... who's that lurking at the bottom of the betting at a massive 66/1 ?

Will he... won't he? His 9 month ban Is up but one more bit of malarky or kerfuffle and he's In big big trouble...

Yep, It's that Mad Moose
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Some real old warriors and exciting juveniles and novices tomorrow at Aintree and Sandown.

Aintree

12.00 Can't see anything touching Ballybolley.... he'll be short so I'm doubling up.

12.30 Not having a bet here as It's a Juvenile's Filly stakes.. yet, I'll be watching to see how Nyanza performs

1.00 Would love to see a return to form for Carrick Boy, winner of the 2013 Byrne Group Plate but I can't see anything touching Bailey's Concerto so will double him with Ballybolly as he'll be very short.

1.30 wow some real old favourites here...Mr Moonshine, The Package, Oscar Time, Our Father, Burton Port, Across the Bay, Alfie Spinner ... I'd be happy to see a win for any of them but one horse who realistically may only make a 4th or 5th Is a chaser I have a very, very soft spot for... welcome back Shakalakaboomboom... love that horse...He knows Aintree, came 9th In the 2010 Grand National... but my bet lies with Balbriggan each way

2.05 Meadowcroft Boy for me ...

2,40.... No question.... Holywell... horse Is sheer class

3.15 and yay, It's Hunty Hunt Ball 4th last time out after being sold to America...Yay Hunty's back... but realistically.I'll go for Rolling Aces each way... although I'll be dancing If Hunty wins here... may go for a small each way punt on the boy.

Sandown

13.50 Court Minstrel straight win

15.00 The Tingle Creek... Somersby each way. Dodging Bullets each way
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Oscar Namechange;1468879 wrote: Some real old warriors and exciting juveniles and novices tomorrow at Aintree and Sandown.

Aintree

12.00 Can't see anything touching Ballybolley.... he'll be short so I'm doubling up.

12.30 Not having a bet here as It's a Juvenile's Filly stakes.. yet, I'll be watching to see how Nyanza performs

1.00 Would love to see a return to form for Carrick Boy, winner of the 2013 Byrne Group Plate but I can't see anything touching Bailey's Concerto so will double him with Ballybolly as he'll be very short.

1.30 wow some real old favourites here...Mr Moonshine, The Package, Oscar Time, Our Father, Burton Port, Across the Bay, Alfie Spinner ... I'd be happy to see a win for any of them but one horse who realistically may only make a 4th or 5th Is a chaser I have a very, very soft spot for... welcome back Shakalakaboomboom... love that horse...He knows Aintree, came 9th In the 2010 Grand National... but my bet lies with Balbriggan each way

2.05 Meadowcroft Boy for me ...

2,40.... No question.... Holywell... horse Is sheer class

3.15 and yay, It's Hunty Hunt Ball 4th last time out after being sold to America...Yay Hunty's back... but realistically.I'll go for Rolling Aces each way... although I'll be dancing If Hunty wins here... may go for a small each way punt on the boy.

Sandown

13.50 Court Minstrel straight win

15.00 The Tingle Creek... Somersby each way. Dodging Bullets each way

Phew... Oscar returns to form.

Ballybolly Winner 6/4

Nyanza Winner 11/8

Bailey's Concerto 3 rd 6/1

Delighted to see Oscar Time win In style here even though that pillock Waley-Cohen was on board. At 13 years old winning at Aintree... wow... spectacular.

Holywell fell ... bummer

The Tingle Creek... Dodging Bullets winner 9/1.... get In there.... Somersby 2 nd at 8/1.... gave his all as usual

Sizable profit on the day
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

My heartiest Condolences to Nicky Henderson and all connections at the tragic news we lost one of racing greats today. Oscar Whiskey.

9 years old.....27 starts.... 16 wins... 4 places... one of the greatest staying hurdlers of our time... Cheltenham will be a cold place without you :-1
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Oh God... It's worse... Balbriggan Euthanised on the course... That's Aintree for you. Again, my sincere condolences to Gordon Elliot and all connections.... Just 7 years old.... Ireland loses one It's finest.
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Picture of the day from Aintree care of The Racing Post

Vibrato Valtat who won the Henry VIII Novices' Chase... This Is one Juvenile Novice to watch.

Attached files
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Over to Bonny Ireland and Punchestown tomorrow...

Just one bet for me here In the 2.00... Jim Culloty's Gold Cup winner Lord Windermere..

Over In Cork, Ireland... Alderwood In the 2.15

At Huntingdon

1.35 Presenting Arms..

2.05 Wishful Thinking.
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Oscar Namechange;1468957 wrote: Over to Bonny Ireland and Punchestown tomorrow...

Just one bet for me here In the 2.00... Jim Culloty's Gold Cup winner Lord Windermere..

Over In Cork, Ireland... Alderwood In the 2.15

At Huntingdon

1.35 Presenting Arms..

2.05 Wishful Thinking.

Lord Windermere 3rd Interesting that as 2nd was Boston Bob who had a sizable amount of my money on him In the 2013 RSA Chase, only for Boston Bob who led all the way, to fall at the last fence giving the race to Lord Windermere... Looks like Bob's jumping has Improved.

Alderwood 4th

Presenting Arms Ran a s.hitter... I notice he was racing In a tongue strap.. many horses throw their toys out the pram when they put these In... I suspect a hissy fit from the horse not a lack of capability.

Wishful Thinking... never gives up does he ? Gives his all every time... Winner at 13/2.... Get In there...

Small profit on the day Thanks to WT

Bloody Willie Mullin's cleaned up on every course.
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Done It

THE KING GEORGE ON BOXING DAY

Taken 11/4 £500 win Siviniaco Conti

Taken 25/1 £100 each way Taquin Du Suille

Taken 25/1 £100 each way Smad Place
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Also on Boxing Day, we have another Christmas Cracker that really gives an Indication of those likely to claim their stakes In the World Hurdle In 2015.

Bloody Willie Mullins...

news from neighing circles Is that he's thrown his unbeaten young pretender to the throne Faugheen Into the hat... 7 starts.... 7 wins... Given the horse came storming up the Cheltenham hill this year In Isolation, the flatter track at Kempton should be a matter of a walk In the park for him.

However, After a return after being out for a year and a blistering win two weeks ago, The New One will make an Interesting challenge.

Yet, I might be looking at another here that's had little talk thus far...Dan Skelton's Blue Heron...another young pretender to the throne. The 6 year old took 4th In The Greatwood Handicap Hurdle but under an astonishing top weight handicap of 11st 11lb.

No odds available yet.

On the same card, I'm looking at Paul Nicholl's Saphir Du Rheu In The Kauto Star Novices Chase

There Is a rumour that Nicky Henderson may just risk Sprinter Sacre In The Desert Orchid Chase after all and betting for the King George still Includes Simonsig... he's a canny fella that Henderson... as usual, playing his aces close to his chest until the day before.

Whatever... bring It on... It'll be a fantastic Winter festival at Kempton with so many superstar's and hungry young pretenders.
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Another of the key trials for the Cheltenham Festival Is The Lexus Chase In Leopardstown, Ireland on the 28th December. It's par for the course that those who put In a good staying performance will go on to run In the Gold Cup In March. The one dubbed ' The Tank' Denman Is a good example of winners here going on the actually winning the Gold Cup.

Bet that Willy Mullin's will be looking at entrants here.

Heading the market here Is 2013 Gold Cup winner Bobs Worth but I myself would rule him out based on the lack of form last season.

Yet, 2014 the Gold Cup winner Lord Windermere Is another heading the market.

After his performance Saturday and his jumping seeming to have returned to form, I may just go for Boston Bob here. A horse I have always believed was an excellent stayer over 3 miles.

I reported Saturday that Hollywell fell but watching the race replay, he didn't. He made a blunder that unseated his jockey. The horse Is sheer class over 3 miles and a proven Cheltenham stayer. Gut Instinct tells me that Saturday was a blip and we can forgive one blip In their careers. I'm going to stick with this boy.

On His Own, put In a lion of a challenge up the hill In this years Gold Cup. Again, a proven Cheltenham stayer that I can't rule out. At 14/1 anti post, It'd be rude not to take advantage and go for a cheeky each way punt.
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Another big race on December 27th at Chepstow Is not a trials race for Cheltenham but an Indication of what horses we'll see In the 2015 Grand National and that's the Welsh Grand National.

It's an excellent benchmark for proving staying ability and stamina.

Some entrants of The Lexus are also entered here as this Is what trainers do... hedge their bets until the final declaration depending on performance last time out.

Not quite sure why Midnight Prayer heads the market here after a lack lustre performance In the Hennessy at Newbury,

I'm ruling out Harry Topper. The weights are against him at 11 stone 12 lb. Ot's a gruelling race but If he pulls It off, It'll be the race of his career under that weight.

Unioniste Is a contender and a horse that has quite some fan base. I like this horse a lot but I feel he'll be outclassed, Would love to see him win this though just for his fans but Ill make a prediction that he'll tire about 4 out.

Sam Winner was In fighting form, winning last week but again, I think he'll be outpaced.

For me, that just leaves me, after ruling out the rest with Mountainous and I'll be taking 12/1 In the morning each way. He fell In this Grand National at Aintree but I am hoping It was another blip. However, he's won this race before on very heavy going. This horse likes the mud. Providing Leopardstown doesn't have a frost or a freezing snow making the going firm, I'll have every faith In him.
Oscar Namechange

That time of year again

Racing loses another today.

Very sad to lose Cockney Sparrow, a lovely little mare who took on Quevega In the Mares Hurdle,

Colic

Just 5 years old.

Return to “Sports”