Finished

A forum for ForumGardeners to post news about themselves.
Bryn Mawr

Finished

Post by Bryn Mawr »

After a couple of weeks preparation and several days hard labour I've finally finished painting the outside of my house.

That is one job I never want to do again - the paint claims to be guaranteed for fifteen years and if it doesn't last that long the dulux can paint the bu**er :wah:

Seriously, days of scraping followed by days of washing down with sugar soap, only to find that had loosened off more of the old paint so back to more scraping, followed by an anti-fungal scrub, only to find that had loosened off more of the old paint so back to more scraping,before I could even think about getting the brush and roller out - this retirement lark's not all it's cracked up to be :-)

Does anyone else get landed with these jobs or do you take the easy way out?
Oscar Namechange

Finished

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Yet, I bet you have a tremendous sense of achievement.

And you just know that someone will walk by and say ' Look, he's missed a bit' :wah:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Finished

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1467068 wrote: After a couple of weeks preparation and several days hard labour I've finally finished painting the outside of my house.

That is one job I never want to do again - the paint claims to be guaranteed for fifteen years and if it doesn't last that long the dulux can paint the bu**er :wah:

Seriously, days of scraping followed by days of washing down with sugar soap, only to find that had loosened off more of the old paint so back to more scraping, followed by an anti-fungal scrub, only to find that had loosened off more of the old paint so back to more scraping,before I could even think about getting the brush and roller out - this retirement lark's not all it's cracked up to be :-)

Does anyone else get landed with these jobs or do you take the easy way out?
In a past life, I worked for a painter. I know what all it takes. When my house needed painting a few years ago, I hired it out.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Finished

Post by G#Gill »

We had double glazing installed all around the house, and this included the doors. So now we don't have the outside doors to paint or the fiddly wooden window frames. Then after 2 or 3 years we decided to have the wooden barge boards replaced with white plastic boards. We had to paint the wooden ones fairly regularly because being maroon red in colour they seemed to be badly affected by sunlight and of course faded in patches which made them look horrible till they were repainted again. Now we don't have to worry about that. The only thing we need to do is paint the stucco now, and that doesn't need doing very regularly !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
tude dog

Finished

Post by tude dog »

HATE IT

HATE IT

Done a fair share of it , panting that is.

From what you are doing , of course pictures must follow.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bryn Mawr

Finished

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Oscar Namechange;1467072 wrote: Yet, I bet you have a tremendous sense of achievement.

And you just know that someone will walk by and say ' Look, he's missed a bit' :wah:

It's amazing how many people have stopped on the way past the house to pass comment - even the village tramp took to sitting on the bench opposite to watch me working :-)
Bryn Mawr

Finished

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1467076 wrote: In a past life, I worked for a painter. I know what all it takes. When my house needed painting a few years ago, I hired it out.

With all of the "free time" I now have and no money coming into the coffers I really couldn't justify that - however much I wanted to.
Oscar Namechange

Finished

Bryn Mawr;1467120 wrote: It's amazing how many people have stopped on the way past the house to pass comment - even the village tramp took to sitting on the bench opposite to watch me working :-)

Sorry about that Bryn... I was just passing through and stopped for a rest.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Finished

Post by Bryn Mawr »

G#Gill;1467080 wrote: We had double glazing installed all around the house, and this included the doors. So now we don't have the outside doors to paint or the fiddly wooden window frames. Then after 2 or 3 years we decided to have the wooden barge boards replaced with white plastic boards. We had to paint the wooden ones fairly regularly because being maroon red in colour they seemed to be badly affected by sunlight and of course faded in patches which made them look horrible till they were repainted again. Now we don't have to worry about that. The only thing we need to do is paint the stucco now, and that doesn't need doing very regularly !

We're fully double glazed as well so it's only the stucco that's finished. I still have the glossing of the garage doors to do when the weather picks up again.
Bryn Mawr

Finished

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1467085 wrote: HATE IT

HATE IT

Done a fair share of it , panting that is.

From what you are doing , of course pictures must follow.

Pictures! But you'd see all of the runs then :-)
Oscar Namechange

Finished

I remember when mt Father re-pebble dashed the house... god, we were picking It out of our hair for weeks.
Bryn Mawr

Finished

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Oscar Namechange;1467128 wrote: I remember when mt Father re-pebble dashed the house... god, we were picking It out of our hair for weeks.

Ha! That's how I feel after re-blacking the boat - firstly pressure washing the crud off the sides covered everything within ten yards with green algae and then after each coat of bitumen I lost half my hair getting all the knots out and looked like I'd been tarred and feathered :wah:
FourPart

Finished

Post by FourPart »

Images of Tom Sawyer & the Picket Fence some to mind.
Bryn Mawr

Finished

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1467131 wrote: Images of Tom Sawyer & the Picket Fence some to mind.

It often feels like it too :-)

Return to “Members' News”