Garden Reboot

Read about the latest happenings at ForumGarden.com.
Bryn Mawr

Garden Reboot

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FG will be down for five to ten minutes from 23:30 GMT tonight whilst we reboot the system.

This should fix the annoying Error 500 messages that randomly block a post.
LarsMac

Garden Reboot

Post by LarsMac »

Well, either the reboot went well, or it didn't happen.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FG-administator

Garden Reboot

Post by FG-administator »

It didn't happen, I have a filthy cold and retired to my sordid pit long before the appointed time, where I tossed fitfully and woke far too often with clammy chills and an overproductive cough. They told me back at the beginning not to skimp on regular servicing but I didn't listen, I was young and ignorant, I didn't check my oil for months on end, I motivated over hills far too often and paid no attention to my resale value. Now look at me. I can't get the torque on my shaft like I used to, my clutch fails to grip at critical moments, I'm a crock.

This evening, ladies and gentlemen, I shall attempt to stay up long enough to reboot the system on schedule.

☎|||||||||||

Who has a spare two minutes a day to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

Your satisfactory is our goals
G#Gill

Garden Reboot

Post by G#Gill »

Oh I'm sorry to hear that you are not at all well ! No it isn't funny particularly as one gets older. I hope you feel a little better soon and can be rid of that awful cough at least ! Keep warm, drink plenty of fluids and take care ! We know you do your best, so don't worry - another day or two won't make a lot of difference you know !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Bruv

Garden Reboot

Post by Bruv »

Man flu.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
G#Gill

Garden Reboot

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1466949 wrote: Man flu.

"Man Flu" can be very debilitating.
Bruv

Garden Reboot

Post by Bruv »

G#Gill;1466955 wrote: "Man Flu" can be very debilitating.

You don't have to tell me.....I am one.
G#Gill

Garden Reboot

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1466956 wrote: You don't have to tell me.....I am one.

:-2 Not sure what you mean Bruv ! You are a "Man Flu" ?? :confused:
AnneBoleyn

Garden Reboot

Post by AnneBoleyn »

G#Gill;1466961 wrote: :-2 Not sure what you mean Bruv ! You are a "Man Flu" ?? :confused:

Bruv meant to say 'Man Flew.'
Bruv

Garden Reboot

Post by Bruv »

G#Gill;1466961 wrote: :-2 Not sure what you mean Bruv ! You are a "Man Flu" ?? :confused:

Cor luv a duck.

I meant I have been debilitated by the dreaded man flu, because I am a bloke.
G#Gill

Garden Reboot

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1466973 wrote: Cor luv a duck.

I meant I have been debilitated by the dreaded man flu, because I am a bloke.

Well why on earth didn't you say you'd had "man flu" you daft bat - how was I supposed to translate 'I am one' to 'I've had/got man flu' ??? :p :rolleyes:
Bruv

Garden Reboot

Post by Bruv »

G#Gill;1466977 wrote: Well why on earth didn't you say you'd had "man flu" you daft bat - how was I supposed to translate 'I am one' to 'I've had/got man flu' ??? :p :rolleyes:

A long deep sigh.....................................wimmin
FG-administator

Garden Reboot

These damnable members all scoff a lot

Making out that I'm just sounding off a lot

My ill health is severe

I feel utterly queer

And all they'll admit is I cough a lot

☎|||||||||||

FG-administator

Garden Reboot

Right, as the Bishop said to the Actress - it's up again.

☎|||||||||||

FourPart

Garden Reboot

Post by FourPart »

As my Grandad used to say....

"It's not the cough that carries you off. It's the coffin they carry you off in".
FG-administator

Garden Reboot

That's a spectacularly impressive swastika you're using as an avatar. Don't let Val see it or there'll be ructions.

☎|||||||||||

G#Gill

Garden Reboot

Post by G#Gill »

FG;1466996 wrote: That's a spectacularly impressive swastika you're using as an avatar. Don't let Val see it or there'll be ructions.

Not just from Val either ! I have seen it too - no idea you had such sympathies for such an evil mob, FourPart ! I'm sure you will want to change it before you offend too many people ! :(
G#Gill

Garden Reboot

Post by G#Gill »

FG;1466986 wrote: Right, as the Bishop said to the Actress - it's up again.

Tut ! But thank you for your expertise !
Bruv

Garden Reboot

Post by Bruv »

FG;1466986 wrote: Right, as the Bishop said to the Actress - it's up again.

And as she replied "I never even noticed"
FG-administator

Garden Reboot

G#Gill;1467000 wrote: Not just from Val either ! I have seen it too - no idea you had such sympathies for such an evil mob, FourPart ! I'm sure you will want to change it before you offend too many people ! :(

You might find BBC News - How the world loved the swastika - until Hitler stole it an interesting read.

If I see a black right-angled swastika on a red background I'll happily denounce it, Gill, but there's a stack of other swastika forms which never had anything to do with Nazi symbolism and I'm damned if I'll let the Third Reich steal the whole concept. Black right-angled swastika on a red background, bad symbol. Swastika, huge historical resonance over thousands of years, no problem.

☎|||||||||||

LarsMac

Garden Reboot

Post by LarsMac »

FG;1467006 wrote: You might find BBC News - How the world loved the swastika - until Hitler stole it an interesting read.

If I see a black right-angled swastika on a red background I'll happily denounce it, Gill, but there's a stack of other swastika forms which never had anything to do with Nazi symbolism and I'm damned if I'll let the Third Reich steal the whole concept. Black right-angled swastika on a red background, bad symbol. Swastika, huge historical resonance over thousands of years, no problem.

The Swastika | Jewish Virtual Library
- DH Lawrence
FG-administator

Garden Reboot

You've linked to a book, Lars. Would you like to add a comment or two reflecting your own view?

If, today, "the symbol is most commonly associated with Nazi Germany, the Holocaust, neo-Nazis and other hate groups", that's our fault for allowing the association to be so prominent. I think we should emphasize the entire history, not the aberration. I agree that "the symbol is most commonly associated with Nazi Germany" etc, but the symbol should be the very specific black hard-edged pattern on the red background which dominated Speer's megalomaniac rallies. It's only true of swastikas in general if we're so weak-willed as to allow it.

☎|||||||||||

LarsMac

Garden Reboot

Post by LarsMac »

FG;1467015 wrote: You've linked to a book, Lars. Would you like to add a comment or two reflecting your own view?

If, today, "the symbol is most commonly associated with Nazi Germany, the Holocaust, neo-Nazis and other hate groups", that's our fault for allowing the association to be so prominent. I think we should emphasize the entire history, not the aberration. I agree that "the symbol is most commonly associated with Nazi Germany" etc, but the symbol should be the very specific black hard-edged pattern on the red background which dominated Speer's megalomaniac rallies. It's only true of swastikas in general if we're so weak-willed as to allow it.

To start with, the text from my link (Which is a page from the Jewish Virtual Library) was fairly simple.

While commonly associated with Nazi Germany, the swastika symbol is more than 3,000 years old. The term "Swastika" was originally the name for a hooked cross in Sanskrit, and swastikas have been found on artifacts, such as coins and pottery, from the ancient city of Troy.

Not only are swastikas associated with ancient Troy, the symbols are found in many other cultures, such as Chinese, Japanese, Indian and southern European. By the Middle Ages, the swastika was a well-known symbol and had many different names, depending on the country. In some cultures, such as in ancient China, the symbol is turned counterclockwise (sauvastika).

Throughout its history, the swastika represented life, sun, power, strength and good luck. In the early 20th century, it was still considered a positive symbol. During World War I, it was found on shoulder patches of members of the American 45th Division and the Finnish air force. Only after the Nazi period did its connotation change.

German nationalists chose to use the swastika in the mid-19th century because it was associated with the Aryan race and Germanic history. At the end of the 19th century, German nationalists used the symbol on periodicals and for the official emblem of the German Gymnasts’ League. By the 20th century, it was a common symbol used in Germany to represent German nationalism and pride, for example, as the emblem for the Wandervogel, a German youth group. Swastikas also were used, however, in anti-Semitic periodicals.

As for my personal feelings on the Swastika, Yes, it was hi-jacked by the German Nationalist movement. My hackles rise whenever I see the pseudo-Nazis flying the symbol of Hitlers abomination and spouting their filth.

However, I have also adorned my meditation room with designs using the form in the style of Hindu and Buddhist decorations.

People are too quick to react negatively to the symbol, these days.

I thought FourPart's image was rather clever, myself, and I doubt the association to nationalism ever came to mind in the making of the thing.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Garden Reboot

Post by FourPart »

As anyone on this forum know, I'm further from Nationalism than you caould imagine (as Oscar can testify), and until it was mentioned I never even considered it as being anything like a swastika. Your mind is probably just seeing something that isn't actually there, by turning a 'T' shape into an 'L'.

It's just something for Hallowe'en - a Spider - in Four Parts. It'll be back to the original after tonight.

Return to “News and Announcements”