American holiday help.

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1462320 wrote: It's right near Times Square, very circusy atmosphere. Loud, bright, noisy. Watch out for the idiots dressed up in costume, the Seseme St. & Disney characters. Slimey bunch. It's nicer downtown, near the new World Trade, but too late I guess. For the wedding, 2 weeks ago, I was staying at the Doubletree Hilton, Stone St. near Battery Park. I had a riverfront room & it was cheaper than what was advertised for Best Western. 'Course it was a Group Rate, so it might be higher. Sorry I didn't mention this sooner............

You'll be fine. It's real honky-tonk area. Picadilly is much nicer than Times Square. Maybe you can take the double-decker (we bought the red ones from you guys) to tour Manhattan. You'll find them right near you.

It seems pretty central for everything, is the Slimey bunch a discription, or characters I don't know about ?

The Hotel was found through Hotwire something by recomendation from the grandson, you choose blind on price and area I understand, my daughter and I were messaging as she chose. The daughter in America reckons we could have got cheaper, but hey it's all done now.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1462324 wrote: ATT has shops at some of the airports. Don't know which one you are flying into. All the airports have some pretty decent guides to what shops are around them.

You know a lot about stuff don't you?

I will research further or possibly buy online, or maybe wait til I am in Iowa and use the daughter's.
LarsMac

American holiday help.

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1462326 wrote: You know a lot about stuff don't you?

I will research further or possibly buy online, or maybe wait til I am in Iowa and use the daughter's.

I try to know a little bit about everything, and if someone asks and I don't know, I go try to find out for the next time someone asks.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

American holiday help.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv;1462325 wrote: It seems pretty central for everything, is the Slimey bunch a discription, or characters I don't know about ?

The Hotel was found through Hotwire something by recomendation from the grandson, you choose blind on price and area I understand, my daughter and I were messaging as she chose. The daughter in America reckons we could have got cheaper, but hey it's all done now.

I don't know about cheaper. New York Hotel prices are insane. Seems like you got a fair deal according to their website. Times Square does have reasonably priced restaurants, though, the chain ones anyway. 2nd Floor of Applebee's has an amazing view. The food? Okay.

The "characters" are dressed up as, well, characters! They want you to pose with them & they've had a problem for not being satisfied with what you offer to pay, & some have gotten a bit violent & aggressive. The cops are really watching them now. On weekends the place is so mobbed, especially when the theatres let out that you can choke! You're a savvy guy & most New Yorkers are friendly. I'd get a map from the hotel & ask them most of your touristy questions. They'll be sure to give you the right answers.

I'm sure you will have fun. If you need help, I'm just an hour away by subway.
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

Not sure where to put this post but as at the moment the holiday is upmost in my mind it ended up here.

I was unable to work this past week, some symptoms have returned.

I have never knowingly suffered from the lymphoma, only from the treatment.

My bowels played up, just like before the chemo started, so that is how I know what it is.

Over the previous fortnight or so, I have noticed a minor ache under my right ear as well as the groin, plus a flutter in the stomach, it's the lymph nodes.

So during the six weeks since I returned to work the condition has returned despite 6 cycles of chemo spaced 21 days apart, plus a single extra session of R-tox maintenance in order to keep on top of it.

My Doctor told me to take Imodium over the phone, because his appointment book was full on Tuesday. After a conversation with the Macmillan Nurse who arranged a rapid meeting with my Consultant on the 8th, 3 days before the flight to discuss the problem, she agreed I should go ahead with the holiday, if the Doctor's verdict was not too bad.

Toward the end of the week, Thursday onward, the ache behind both my kneecaps that I thought was due to minimal exercise during the previous months stopped in my left leg and flaired to really painful in my right, making me left left left up stairs rather than left right as normal.

I have stopped the Imodium and the painful knee has ceased, so today it as if it had not happened.

Lets hope the Doctor agrees that the holiday is still on........or else I may have to argue with him.
Saint_

American holiday help.

Post by Saint_ »

Geez, Bruv. I had no idea you were so sick. I'm at a loss for words. I commend you on your courageous spirit, though. I'll say a little prayer for you. I don't ask the Lord for things too often, so He mostly answers me when I ask.
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

Saint_;1463333 wrote: Geez, Bruv. I had no idea you were so sick. I'm at a loss for words. I commend you on your courageous spirit, though. I'll say a little prayer for you. I don't ask the Lord for things too often, so He mostly answers me when I ask.

Thankyou very much, as they say every little bit helps.

I don't feel ill, they had to tell me I had the condition, found while doing other tests.
Betty Boop

American holiday help.

Post by Betty Boop »

Keeping everything crossed for you and sending lots of healing :-4
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1463338 wrote: Keeping everything crossed for you and sending lots of healing :-4

Thanks.
AnneBoleyn

American holiday help.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Start spreading the news

Bruv's coming to play

He's got to be a part of it............New York, New York

He'll make a brand new start of it

In old New York!

If Bruv can make it here

He'll make it ANYWHERE

So Please Get Well for New York New York!

Apologies to Francis Albert

Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

That is my daughters karaoke song, and my mothers hearthrob.
AnneBoleyn

American holiday help.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv;1463364 wrote: That is my daughters karaoke song, and my mothers hearthrob.

My mother's hearthrob & MINE too!

American holiday help.

Post by 911 »

I don't know much about New York as I have never been there. But, I think you have to see the singing naked cowboy!! I think he hangs out in Times Square.

I'm so sorry you're sick and I hope you get better for your trip and forever ever. I think you're just excited for your trip (my opinion and I'm sticking with it!). I'll shoot out a little prayer for you.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

Thank you 911, I am excited, I really shouldn't keep doing those celebration cartwheels, so perhaps you are right.
AnneBoleyn

American holiday help.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

911;1463380 wrote: I don't know much about New York as I have never been there. But, I think you have to see the singing naked cowboy!! I think he hangs out in Times Square.

I'm so sorry you're sick and I hope you get better for your trip and forever ever. I think you're just excited for your trip (my opinion and I'm sticking with it!). I'll shoot out a little prayer for you.

Sorry to disappoint, but he's not really naked, he wears brief undies, while playing a guitar & singing along. It's even more amusing in the dead of winter! He has legally franchised himself out, there is now a "naked" cowgirl too & she is required to pay him percentages!
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

I wont be going out of my way especially, but thanks.
AnneBoleyn

American holiday help.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv;1463396 wrote: I wont be going out of my way especially, but thanks.

Oh, you don't go to him, he comes over to YOU!! :wah:
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

As long as he comes over TO.........it'll be alright

American holiday help.

Post by 911 »

AnneBoleyn;1463391 wrote: Sorry to disappoint, but he's not really naked, he wears brief undies, while playing a guitar & singing along. It's even more amusing in the dead of winter! He has legally franchised himself out, there is now a "naked" cowgirl too & she is required to pay him percentages!

Oh, yes, I know. Last time I saw him on TV, he had Naked Cowboy on the back of his underwear!

I was wondering, do you still have to worry about your electrical devices working in the outlets over here?
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

911;1463724 wrote: I was wondering, do you still have to worry about your electrical devices working in the outlets over here?

Not a worry, just travel with an adapter.
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

Update......

Sitting in Gatwick waiting for the flight.

Struggling with this bloody iPad thing. Next post will be from the big apple.

Suppose the waiting about will be worth it hopefully.
Betty Boop

American holiday help.

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv;1464063 wrote: Update......

Looking forward to your first post from the big apple on your little apple :p have a great time Bruv
LarsMac

American holiday help.

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1464063 wrote: Update......

Well, then, let me be the first to welcome you to the Good ol' US of A
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

Uk time it is 4.50 so we are both extremely tired.

NY time is just before midnight.

The customs were not half as bad as I was lead to believe, but the taxi drive was as manic as I expected. New Yorkers like blasting their horns, rarely heard in the UK I must have heard it 7-8 times or more this evening. And he was flat out all the way, swerving and tooting as he went.

I am knackered.............good night America
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

Woke at UK time of about 10.00am feeling unrefreshed with the idea I was being lazy, took a look at the local time to see it was 5.00am tried desperately to go back to sleep.

Right .........first impressions and how the journey went.

Travelled to the airport early because I knew my daughter would have to spend a long time alone after travelling down from Scotland to make the connection.Spent a silly half hour talking back and forth about where we were, such as in front of a currency exchange, we eventually found each other obviously.

The flight was OK they didn't have the embarrassing flight safety thing with strategically placed hostesses going through the motions,, it was all technological on the little screens. I don't know if it was because the staff were American but there was no great hassle about seat belts either other than to tell us to use them.

Leaving the airport ?

Why the custom declaration filled in during flight ? Why the double queue for questions exiting the place, one relating to the trip and the other about what we might have brought in ?

It was hot and sticky as we came out of the building like a hot air curtain had been turned on, I am suppossing it's the gulf stream that warms the UK that affects the weather in NYC ?

More later......breakfast awaits
LarsMac

American holiday help.

Post by LarsMac »

They always hand out the customs cards mid flight, both directions. Can't say it makes any sense. There are two different departments, now days, coming in. One to check your ID and figure out whether you are safe to let in, and the other to see if you have any thing they need to tax you for.

Funny about the weather. Yep. the Gulf Stream is keeping things warm there. It's still Summer in New York. Going to be hot an muggy. When you get to Iowa, it looks to be cool days and cold nights. Hope you brought a jacket.

As for the jet lag, a couple of days should get you settled in to local time.

I always find it harder going west.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

American holiday help.

Post by FourPart »

The strange thing is that when I went over to L.A. I didn't get Jet Lag at all - either way. Perhaps that's because I've always kept weird hours anyway.
YZGI

American holiday help.

Post by YZGI »

Hey Bruv, have fun in the good ole USA. When in Iowa you will only be a few hours from Kansas. Here in the Midwest were are having an early cool down, Supposed to be in low 40's in the morn. Brr. I have an Alzheimer's walk to raise awareness and money for research, goin to be chilly.
LarsMac

American holiday help.

Post by LarsMac »

We had snow flurries last night, here.

Been a weird summer

Though, looking at the weather for NYC, it's supposed to be in the mid 70s most of the week. Not so bad. Just humid.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

Went for a looooong walk today,wandered aimlessly, discovering things randomly. Should really have had a plan, we found Times Sq and the Theatre we will visit tomorrow or rather later today. Wish I could tell you we went up the west side or down the east side, but we had no clue where we were.

Anyway we were on a mission to a rendezvous and there at 5th Ave and 57th st outside the Plaza Hotel was the lady we had traversed NY to see, standing with a sheet of pink paper with shades covering her eyes was the legendary Anne Boleyn of UK historical and FG fame.

And yes I can confirm she is a fiesty hippy chick with a New York accent very similar to Woody Allen's. We did a tour of the Park watching the rats, yes real four legged rodents, amongs the squirrels.Then we happened across a Russian Liverpool fan selling memorabilia of the city not far from the site of Lennon's demise. We had a conversation about the state of English Football and Alex Fergusons retirement, funny old world ennit?

Later we shared a meal, had to have a real burger in NYC and it was better than a MacD's. We talked of world affairs and NY as it was and US tax system and who we liked on FG.......and me Im saying nothing........cos I think we both agreed, everybody is OK. A pleasant time was had by all, we parted at Colombus Circle and we wandered back to our Hotel, arriving at about 5.00 pm were we both wanted to rest up before hitting the night spots, but due to our age and earlier exertion plus the time lag (presumably) we both fell into a deep sleep wakening at 2.30 NY time.

So after this unplanned update I shall be turning over and getting back to sleep, goodnight NY and thank you Annie for sharing some time with a couple of Brits today.
AnneBoleyn

American holiday help.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I'll take this a step further. I enjoyed the day tremendously. Bruv is a real gentlemen, witty, intelligent, comfortable to be with. His lovely daughter, Ms. Bruv, is a delight. I felt so comfortable being with them, as if we had known each other for years & would meet again one fine day.

I was horrified to see Rats in Central Park; we saw them immediately upon entering. The day was sunny & bright---we walked up to Strawberry Fields -- I thought the Russian man was a Brit. We met a lovely German woman who I also thought was British, I guess I was consumed by my company!

We saw the spot where John Lennon was shot. Still, after all these years people gather there, take pics. Did I see a woman Smiling at the spot while someone took a pic of her, Bruv? Smiling? Maybe I imagined she was smiling. Probably not. It was so eerie to see this space, it looks & feels sad & haunted. It is a dark space, unlit by the bright sun.

The Bruvs are such generous, fabulous people. Magnificent day. I hope our paths cross again. I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay here in NYC, the weather today is cloudy, possibly rainy. Have a good safe flight to visit your family in the mid-west; a good safe flight back home. Be well, & Live Long & Prosper!! :-D
Betty Boop

American holiday help.

Post by Betty Boop »

Awwww that was all wonderful to read, glad you all hooked up and had a great time gossiping about us all :wah:
AnneBoleyn

American holiday help.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Sorry to disappoint Ms. Boop but we actually spent very little time on you guys!
Betty Boop

American holiday help.

Post by Betty Boop »

AnneBoleyn;1464262 wrote: Sorry to disappoint Ms. Boop but we actually spent very little time on you guys!

Just as I thought :wah: It's a weird misconception that on any get together the time is spent gossiping :wah:
AnneBoleyn

American holiday help.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I'm just amazed, Betty, & gratified that we were all so comfortable together, & were able to easily speak of many things. :-)
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

It's a long time since I had ladies fighting over me.

OK disagreeing.........OK just talking about me........didn't get to mention much about FG once out Tour guide started anyway.

I am sitting in La Guardia right now waiting for the flight to Des Moines.

Managed to visit Katz and got my pastrami On rye but had to get a taxi to make this flight, missing the ground zero visit.

Next visit will be downtown around china town, seems more real than up town times sq area.

Next stop Panora......should be interesting
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

Update time.

Just a few observations. How are light switches allowed inside a bathroom in America? In the UK we have cord light pulls so wet hands can't touch electric switches, and those water closets, whats that with all that water ?
Saint_

American holiday help.

Post by Saint_ »

Bruv;1464342 wrote: Update time.

Just a few observations. How are light switches allowed inside a bathroom in America? In the UK we have cord light pulls so wet hands can't touch electric switches, and those water closets, whats that with all that water ?

Beside the fact that American switches are sealed, the down position is "off" so any moisture runs off the switch after you touch it to turn it off. The British switch is the one that is backwards with "on" being down, but then you drive on the wrong side of the road too, so that's par for the course.
FourPart

American holiday help.

Post by FourPart »

Actually, all the other countries I've been to have the switches the 'Right' way round, with the 'Off' being up.

Personally, my bathroom has a standard light switch, but outside the door - same as with the kitchen.
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

Saint_;1464343 wrote: Beside the fact that American switches are sealed, the down position is "off" so any moisture runs off the switch after you touch it to turn it off. The British switch is the one that is backwards with "on" being down, but then you drive on the wrong side of the road too, so that's par for the course.

Yes but what about the high water in your *cough* restrooms ?

Any adequately endowed gent's parts could be subject to cold water shock.

God help anyone that gets into a bath as the sun is setting, needing to turn the light on when they get out dripping.
AnneBoleyn

American holiday help.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv, the Greek Island that starts with an 'S' that I couldn't remember is Santorini. Please tell Ms. Bruv. I have pics from there, gorgeous!
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1464390 wrote: Bruv, the Greek Island that starts with an 'S' that I couldn't remember is Santorini. Please tell Ms. Bruv. I have pics from there, gorgeous!

I just told her but I expect you where more worried about indentifying it than she or I was was...........but thank you.
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

Just to let y'all see the culture shock for a poor ole Brit travelling within the US. My first view of America.......

And where I am now......

AnneBoleyn

American holiday help.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I was worried because I hate it when I can't remember something I *should* know! I was told the name over & over again! Anyway, Ms. Bruv said Greece is her favorite holiday stop. Just being friendly.

How are you enjoying your Iowa visit?

I should have known you'd like the Lower East Side of Manhattan best. My old stomping grounds!
tude dog

American holiday help.

Post by tude dog »

Looks like you are having a good time.

So you get to see some big city stuff and rural.

Tell ya what, as a OTR (Over The Road) driver you saw a lot more than I ever see.

There is a lot of land between cities.

Hope you had a chance to go about the Iowa corn fields. Should be close to harvesting and you could follow a grain truck.:guitarist

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1464404 wrote:

How are you enjoying your Iowa visit?

I should have known you'd like the Lower East Side of Manhattan best. My old stomping grounds!

It is very different to New York, walked the full length of Main st yesterday evening with people looking at us both taking pictures like we were insane......took us less than an hour door to door.

I took a stroll to the towns museum an hour or so ago, got some photos of old style America (What is it you Americans have with your past......most of it was just yesterday anyway) :yh_rotfl (Its a joke for goodness sake)

I found it very interesting (seriously) with lots of old tools clothes and stuff.

Hand pumped vacuum,typwriters, printing press old trucks and different stuff.
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1464408 wrote: Looks like you are having a good time.

So you get to see some big city stuff and rural.

Tell ya what, as a OTR (Over The Road) driver you saw a lot more than I ever see.

There is a lot of land between cities.

Hope you had a chance to go about the Iowa corn fields. Should be close to harvesting and you could follow a grain truck.:guitarist

It was arranged as a family reunion, a daughter and her husband with a grandchild we have never seen, visited by her sister and myself.

And yes there is a lot of corn.

I have never driven in my life.
Bruv

American holiday help.

Post by Bruv »

One of the highlights of my trip happened today when Mr Lars Mac took a *cough* short detour to meet up with me my two daughters and Grandson.

What an extremely pleasant man he is........no BS.

We discussed everything I liked about the States, but the list of dislikes was far too long before he had to hit the road again.......(Joke?)

I ripped into American food, praised sanitary ware, and Lars graciously smiled through it all, at times he weighed in too and answered many of my questions, I know why chicken fried steak has no chicken content, why they hang quilts on the side of their barns, and why stealing any of the corn may not be good for my health (Nothing to do with guns Tude)

Another couple of hours and the Middle East would have been sorted.

Many thanks for taking the time out of your day Lars, much appreciated.
LarsMac

American holiday help.

Post by LarsMac »

The pleasure was mine, Bruv. I was only sorry we could not have a longer visit. 'tis a pain when work gets in the way of a good visit.

It was a delight to meet your daughters and you grandson as well.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your visit, and find some more items to add to your list of things that you like about The States.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

American holiday help.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Fantastic that Bruv & Lars had a great day together! 3 Cheers for the Internet! (usually)

Return to “General Chit Chat”