ALS challenge

Lady J

ALS challenge

Post by Lady J »

Have you seen it on FB? Your local news?

People challenging others to dump a bucket of ice water on them to bring awareness to ALS.

So I ask myself; what is ALS?

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), often referred to as "Lou Gehrig's Disease," is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Motor neurons reach from the brain to the spinal cord and from the spinal cord to the muscles throughout the body. The progressive degeneration of the motor neurons in ALS eventually leads to their death. When the motor neurons die, the ability of the brain to initiate and control muscle movement is lost. With voluntary muscle action progressively affected, patients in the later stages of the disease may become totally paralyzed.

That is sad...very sad; you would not be happy if you could not move.

So I think this ice water dumping and the challenges may be a good "wake up" call to the disease. But what then?

It is about raising money $$$$ to help those in need and research but I have to wonder if those being dosed are sending any money but just into the popularity of it? I mean, if you really want to make a difference then do so and sends some $$$.

But it must be working as the ALS Foundation has reported receiving over $53,000 in contributions.

Anyone keeping up with this?
FourPart

ALS challenge

Post by FourPart »

That could explain some of the weird video postings I've seen one one of my "Clan's" FB, from a simple bucket of Ice Water to one of a Cement Truck emptying a load of ice water onto him (not the clan member - at least, I don't think. It's only through FB that I found how big our small Clan has become, and I've no idea who most of them are).
Oscar Namechange

ALS challenge

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Yes, all of our Jockeys are entering Into the spirit of this.

Yesterday, our champion jumps jockey, the demi god that Is AP McCoy had his turn...

I messaged him on Facebook offering to towel him down but I've had no reply :wah:

Tony McCoy Ice Bucket Challenge - YouTube
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
FourPart

ALS challenge

Post by FourPart »

Although this doesn't seem to be ALS, it's the same sort of thing.

(I was expecting that to embed)
Oscar Namechange

ALS challenge

At least It's more dignified than the C'ock In a sock awareness they did for testicular cancer.

Going on to Facebook was daunting, seeing the revolting neighbour's husband stark naked with his c.ock In a sock... enough to put a girl off her fish and chips.

Mind you, I was pleasently surprised one night when the Jockey Dominic Fox did the same... Let's just say he wasn't last In the queue when God handed out tackle.... what cracked me up was he also put a sock on his Labrador's penis also.

I messaged him also :yh_rotfl
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
FourPart

ALS challenge

Post by FourPart »

Those must be some neighbours you've got there. On one side the Lesbians with a Turkey Baster child, and the other some sort of exhibitionist.
Oscar Namechange

ALS challenge

FourPart;1462645 wrote: Those must be some neighbours you've got there. On one side the Lesbians with a Turkey Baster child, and the other some sort of exhibitionist. You're right there.... have I told you about the others?

Dirty Dereck, Weird Paul, Her with the hair, Him with the Moustache, The Muppet family, Old Mrs Bagcrumble and Muslim Boyz from the hood, The don't freak, we're Sikh family.... I could go on

And In case you're wondering... I'm th Nazi :yh_rotfl

The resients committee meetings are a blast !!!
FourPart

ALS challenge

Post by FourPart »

You're a TV Sitcom waiting to happen.

Incidentally, have you ever seen Citizen Khan? My Moslem friends find it hilarious, yet the PC Whites reckon it should be banned for being racist. Go figure.
Oscar Namechange

ALS challenge

FourPart;1462655 wrote: You're a TV Sitcom waiting to happen.

Incidentally, have you ever seen Citizen Khan? My Moslem friends find it hilarious, yet the PC Whites reckon it should be banned for being racist. Go figure.

I watched two episodes... an hour of my life I'll never get back !!!!

It was absolutely appalling.

Typical sterotyping of Muslims at It's worst.

I went on the school run one morning after the first episode with my Muslim driver and he was hopping mad at It. He found It deeply Insulting.
Patsy Warnick

ALS challenge

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I am so tired of this bucket challenge

Did you see where the Firemen up in their bucket to spray people down below as the bucket challenge?

It didn't go well - the firemen in the bucket got caught up in electrical wire and were electrocuted.

If one wants to donate funds to a cause why don't they just send the funds and leave it at that..

This bucket challenge is old.

Patsy
Oscar Namechange

ALS challenge

Patsy Warnick;1462678 wrote: I am so tired of this bucket challenge

Did you see where the Firemen up in their bucket to spray people down below as the bucket challenge?

It didn't go well - the firemen in the bucket got caught up in electrical wire and were electrocuted.

If one wants to donate funds to a cause why don't they just send the funds and leave it at that..

This bucket challenge is old.

Patsy

Catholics have been pouring water on people for centuries, It's called baptism :wah:

I have to agree with you here.

Remember the no make challenge on Facebook for breast cancer?

My revolting neighbour joined In but of course had to remind everyone for weeks that she'd raised her £2's worth with stomach churning posts as ' Doing this for you Grandpa' Oh please !!!

Anyway, I posted that If she was that bothered, she should donate a standing order of £1 a month for life like me to the charity Instead of these stupid gimmicks.

Oh dear ! Was I In trouble :yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

ALS challenge

On my Facebook, they're coming In fast and furious and I've just posted on Matt Chapman's status offering to be his towel and got a response. That's Matt Chapman, the TV presenter of ' At The Races'.... I may get lucky here.
Wandrin

ALS challenge

Post by Wandrin »

As I understand it, if the bucket is really filled with ice water, the sensations felt by one doing that to themselves are the closest safe demonstration of what it feels like to have ALS, with the ice water momentarily causing the nervous system to react. It was started by an alumni of Boston College in memory of a friend and former team mate who had ALS. Most of the early videos are from people who are associated with that college. No one expected it to go viral and involve national celebrities.

The difference that it has made in fundraising for ALS research has been significant.

A Roman Catholic diocese in the US has sent out a letter to its members asking them not to take part. They say it murders children because part of the research is with stem cells.
along-for-the-ride

ALS challenge

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I see no harm in the ice-bucket challenge as it is for a good cause.

Reminds me of the little neighborhood carnivals us kids used to have in our backyards for Muscular Dystrophy (Jerry Lewis sponsored this). We would have games and refreshments and invite the neighborhood kids. We charged a fee for tickets and sent the money to the MDA foundation.. It was fun. Ours was on a smaller scale than the one below:

Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
devist8me

ALS challenge

Post by devist8me »

This raises awareness for an illness that affects so many people. Equate it to 5k raises done solely for the purpose of raising money for a local charity. Or how about wearing pink during...what is it October? ....for breast cancer. Or the men growing mustaches in November for testicular cancer. There a plethora of ideas out there to raise awareness for certain illness, diseases and disorders (I haven't even started on autism or Downs' syndrome awareness). And instead of just making a commercial begging for donations, doing something a little different and creative to make it fun, while at the same time donating (or not, the point is awareness) If you don't want to participate in ANY of these causes, that's your right. But just step aside quietly while those that do have some sense of compassion for humanity does what they can to help.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy

Return to “Health Wellness”