Yuk..

Chloe_88

Yuk..

Post by Chloe_88 »

Officially at work I have been declared 100% healthy since the 5th of july.. (after being part time sick for 1 year and 3 months)

Since wednesday I suddenly got a real bad sore throat.. Today .. wow.. feels like i've eaten sandpaper + sneezing and spluttering all over the place.

YUK!

some sort of throat yukkieness going around?
High Threshold

Yuk..

Post by High Threshold »

Chloe_88;1459758 wrote: Officially at work I have been declared 100% healthy since the 5th of july.. (after being part time sick for 1 year and 3 months)

Since wednesday I suddenly got a real bad sore throat.. Today .. wow.. feels like i've eaten sandpaper + sneezing and spluttering all over the place.

YUK!

some sort of throat yukkieness going around?

You need a yuktectomy. :)
Chloe_88

Yuk..

Post by Chloe_88 »

High Threshold;1459762 wrote: You need a yuktectomy. :)

where can I get one???? :wah:
High Threshold

Yuk..

Post by High Threshold »

Chloe_88;1459764 wrote: where can I get one???? :wah:

Try the Basilica of St. Nicholas. :yh_angel
Betty Boop

Yuk..

Post by Betty Boop »

I can sympathise, myself and my little one ran a temperature for around ten days. My throat felt like I'd swallowed razor blades it was so sore and I never suffer from sore throats. A cold appeared quite late into the aches and temperature and hasn't been a major one at all.

Colds seem to be mutating into major aches with hot and cold sweats followed by a token cold :wah:
High Threshold

Yuk..

Post by High Threshold »

Betty Boop;1459812 wrote: I can sympathise, myself and my little one ran a temperature for around ten days. My throat felt like I'd swallowed razor blades it was so sore and I never suffer from sore throats. A cold appeared quite late into the aches and temperature and hasn't been a major one at all.

Colds seem to be mutating into major aches with hot and cold sweats followed by a token cold :wah:

I don't know what sort of products are available in the far-flung corners of the globe, such as Cornwall, but in Sweden (even in the far-flung northern stretches of Lappland) there are these vitamin C, effervescent tablets. At the very first sign of a cold coming on (normally a sore throat) I start popping tablets, one morning, one evening ..... and the cold seldom progresses any further. Then, of course, there are those menthol-eucalyptus lozenges (from Lidl) that elimate even the most persistant discomfort.
FourPart

Yuk..

Post by FourPart »

I find you can't beat a good hot Lemon Tea with Honey, and ideally a shot of Whiskey / Brandy (heating the spirits increase their effectiveness).
Betty Boop

Yuk..

Post by Betty Boop »

High Threshold;1459824 wrote: I don't know what sort of products are available in the far-flung corners of the globe, such as Cornwall, but in Sweden (even in the far-flung northern stretches of Lappland) there are these vitamin C, effervescent tablets. At the very first sign of a cold coming on (normally a sore throat) I start popping tablets, one morning, one evening ..... and the cold seldom progresses any further. Then, of course, there are those menthol-eucalyptus lozenges (from Lidl) that elimate even the most persistant discomfort.

We just drink nettle tea around these parts ;)

Yes I should hunt down some high powered vit C for next time. Don't use lozenges as some contain hidden wheat and gluten and I can never remember which brands are ok and which are not when I'm in the shop. Those lozenges sound Fishermens Friend like, disgusting things!
High Threshold

Yuk..

Post by High Threshold »

Betty Boop;1459866 wrote: We just drink nettle tea around these parts ;)

Yes I should hunt down some high powered vit C for next time. Don't use lozenges as some contain hidden wheat and gluten and I can never remember which brands are ok and which are not when I'm in the shop. Those lozenges sound Fishermens Friend like, disgusting things!

The thing about the vitamin C tablets is that you have to get started early on. If you wait a couple of days then their effect is limited, if not simply "too late" to do any good at all. Don't know about the wheat and gluten in the lozenges. It's the menthol and eucalyptus that do the job, I reckon, so if they can be had without the other other two ingredients then you're sailing. Hang on a sec ..........

..... here it is: It's in Swedish but I'll have a go ..... sugar, glucose syrup, natural aroma (menthol, eucalyptus, pepermint) and .... oh, don't know the English but its "E336". It looks to be a Swedish product (or at least packaged here) from Cloetta, called Extra Starka (Extra Strong) and if you have Lidl food shops then the chances are that it'll be on the shelves. It's got a monk on the logo. I just gave you too much information, didn't I. :)
High Threshold

Yuk..

Post by High Threshold »

This one.

Attached files
High Threshold

Yuk..

Post by High Threshold »

Or this

Attached files
FourPart

Yuk..

Post by FourPart »

E366 =

E366 - Wiktionary

I love Fisherman's Friends - especially the Aniseed ones.

I also love Imps / Potters. They're concentrated liquorice & menthol, ideally suited for singers, such as myself as only being something like 3mm square, they just slip under the tongue.
High Threshold

Yuk..

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1459911 wrote: I love Fisherman's Friends - especially the Aniseed ones.

I also love Imps / Potters. They're concentrated liquorice & menthol, ideally suited for singers, such as myself as only being something like 3mm square, they just slip under the tongue.

Excellent! I'll pass that on to Paul Potts next time he's over for dinner. Funny innit how he went from being the most notorious genocidal maniac of Cambodia to an opera singer …. in just a few short years.
Betty Boop

Yuk..

Post by Betty Boop »

High Threshold;1459883 wrote: This one.

I shall take a look next time I am in Lidl's. Tend to use Aldi more as they recognise celiacs and label really well. Lidl's chocolate is lush though. :-6
Betty Boop

Yuk..

Post by Betty Boop »

FourPart;1459911 wrote: E366 =

E366 - Wiktionary

I love Fisherman's Friends - especially the Aniseed ones.

Euuughhh not a huge fan of menthol but will tolerate a bit when needs must. Liquorice is like marmite, love it or hate it lol

I hate both aniseed and liquorice.
Chloe_88

Yuk..

Post by Chloe_88 »

FourPart;1459858 wrote: I find you can't beat a good hot Lemon Tea with Honey, and ideally a shot of Whiskey / Brandy (heating the spirits increase their effectiveness).

Very true.. I have to leave the booze out (gives me acid!)

Still the lemon and honey seem to help clear the yukkiness for a while..

I have now (almost 7 days) reached the stage where I think it's almost over.. then walk up the stairs, get dizzy, short of breath and have to sit.

Or I have to sneeze and my head almost explodes..

Seems to be a different Yuk than normal Yukieness.. Great when your throat feels like sandpaper and your job is to talk all day long... !
High Threshold

Yuk..

Post by High Threshold »

Chloe_88;1459987 wrote: ...... walk up the stairs, get dizzy, short of breath and have to sit. Or .... sneeze and my head almost explodes..

... Great when your throat feels like sandpaper and your job is to talk all day long... !

It's the chafing of my nose from the bog roll that's the worst part of a cold.
Betty Boop

Yuk..

Post by Betty Boop »

High Threshold;1459988 wrote: It's the chafing of my nose from the bog roll that's the worst part of a cold.

Every time you blow coat it in vaseline, it will prevent that raw feeling.
Chloe_88

Yuk..

Post by Chloe_88 »

High Threshold;1459988 wrote: It's the chafing of my nose from the bog roll that's the worst part of a cold.

That's the worst thing about a cold.. the thing is I cant blow my nose or use nose spray, makes me puke.. I can't do the snot thing..
FourPart

Yuk..

Post by FourPart »

Of course you can always roll up a couple of bog roll plugs to stick up your noes. May not look too refined, but does the job.
Chloe_88

Yuk..

Post by Chloe_88 »

FourPart;1459998 wrote: Of course you can always roll up a couple of bog roll plugs to stick up your noes. May not look too refined, but does the job.

Isn't that what tampons are for?

:wah:
FourPart

Yuk..

Post by FourPart »

Depends how big a hooter you've got.
Chloe_88

Yuk..

Post by Chloe_88 »

FourPart;1460003 wrote: Depends how big a hooter you've got.

Mine must be huge then! :wah:
High Threshold

Yuk..

Post by High Threshold »

Betty Boop;1459990 wrote: Every time you blow coat it in vaseline ...

And leave that sticky sensation on it? I think I prefer the chafing. :wah:

FourPart;1459998 wrote: Of course you can always roll up a couple of bog roll plugs to stick up your noes. May not look too refined, but does the job.

I thought I had invented that idea! :-6

Return to “Health Wellness”