Art Deco in Havana Cuba.

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
jones jones

Art Deco in Havana Cuba.

Post by jones jones »

I’ve managed to visit quite a few different countries in my time but I have yet to travel to Cuba. Havana in particular is an Art Deco paradise so I have placed a trip to Cuba on my wish list.

But for now I will have to be content with images like these …

Miguel de Soto Methodist Church: Dominating a corner of busy Vedado is this wedding-cake, white Methodist church. It was designed by architect Ricardo Franklin as late as 1950 and was awarded the Gold Medal from Cuba’s College of Architects in 1951

This private house was designed by architect Angel de Zárraga in 1933.

Marble pietà, Cementerio Colón: Other art deco features in Havana’s cemetery include the 1957 white marble pietà by Cuba’s most famous sculptor, Rita Longa (1912-2000), which adorns the black tomb of the prominent Aguilera family. Another of Rita Longa’s art deco sculptures can be seen close to the Malecón in Old Havana.

El Tiempo (Time), Edificio López Serrano: The vestibule of the López Serrano building is paved with terrazzo designs, stylised ceiling lamp shades and red Moroccan marble walls. The highlight is the nickel-silver relief El Tiempo (‘Time’) designed by Cuba’s most famous graphic artist, Enrique García Cabrera. The glorious art deco design (and the official logo of Congress) reflects the obsession with time and the increased mechanisation of the world during this 20th-century era.

"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Ronald_50

Art Deco in Havana Cuba.

Post by Ronald_50 »

Thanks for sharing these photos. I would like to visit Cuba on 2015.

Return to “Travel Vacation”