Photograph Dilemna

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Photograph Dilemna

Post by Lon »

This is serious and I need help.

I have just downsized from a large home to a two bedroom two bath apartment and looking at dozens of family pictures and photographs lying all over the floor. grand children, wedding pictures, graduation pics, I get the feeling that my daughter and grand children really expect me to hang all these pics on the walls and that's just not me. I don't wish to offend family, but I have a great memory and don't need to see photos all over the place to remember. I have hung a couple of photos that are recent, of my wife and I taken on a cruise and one of me mid air on a Bungy Jump . So help me please. What do I do with all these photos?
LarsMac

Photograph Dilemna

Post by LarsMac »

My wife has commandeered a book case, on which she has placed all sorts of such pics. It seems rather cluttered, to me, but it seems to satisfy the kids and grandkids. Odd, how after every visit the pictures seem to have been rearranged. Sometimes with the recent visitors' pics all now in front, or all of their children in front.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Photograph Dilemna

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Tell all family members that In time, you are re-photographing every family picture with a digital camera and you are going to store these on your pc In albums so you can go to them all when ever you like..

Then do what my Father did when faced with this problem. Arrange for an entire family meet. Take one big group pic, frame It and have just that one on display.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Wandrin

Photograph Dilemna

Post by Wandrin »

You could digitize the photos and hang a digital picture frame. Arrange the photos in the frame to different groups. That way you can display the photos you want normally and select a different group when the children visit so it will cycle through the pictures relevant to them.
Snowfire

Photograph Dilemna

Post by Snowfire »

Wandrin;1456873 wrote: You could digitize the photos and hang a digital picture frame. Arrange the photos in the frame to different groups. That way you can display the photos you want normally and select a different group when the children visit so it will cycle through the pictures relevant to them.

That seems like a good idea to me. A forever revolving cycle of treasured memories in one little frame
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
along-for-the-ride

Photograph Dilemna

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Wandrin;1456873 wrote: You could digitize the photos and hang a digital picture frame. Arrange the photos in the frame to different groups. That way you can display the photos you want normally and select a different group when the children visit so it will cycle through the pictures relevant to them.

I also was going to suggest this. I do have one of those digital frames myself. I also have a scanner.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Mark Aspam

Photograph Dilemna

Post by Mark Aspam »

Lon;1456855 wrote: This is serious and I need help.

I have just downsized from a large home to a two bedroom two bath apartment and looking at dozens of family pictures and photographs lying all over the floor. grand children, wedding pictures, graduation pics, I get the feeling that my daughter and grand children really expect me to hang all these pics on the walls and that's just not me. I don't wish to offend family, but I have a great memory and don't need to see photos all over the place to remember. I have hung a couple of photos that are recent, of my wife and I taken on a cruise and one of me mid air on a Bungy Jump . So help me please. What do I do with all these photos?

The previous high-tech suggestions are fine, but if you'd prefer to go traditional, just buy a really nice photoalbum, mount all the photos therein, and be sure to have the album there on the coffee table whenever your relatives visit.
Týr

Photograph Dilemna

Post by Týr »

There's an obscure medical condition the name of which escapes me in which the sufferer, presented with a complicated visual field of view, enters a pre-seizure epileptic state which interferes with normal cerebral function. You could claim to have been diagnosed with this and summarize the effects as "the mere sight of you all gives me a headache" though you might paraphrase to be tactful. It's a good excuse to keep the photos in a drawer though.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
Accountable

Photograph Dilemna

Post by Accountable »

You have only the one daughter? Give her the photos after you digitize or whatever.
Saint_

Photograph Dilemna

Post by Saint_ »

I digitized all the photos in dozens of boxes and converted reams of slides after my mother died. (an avid photographer for her whole life.) and then I selected the best, created a chronological timeline and turned them into a music video with iMovie. Then I burned them to DVD, made nice cases with Pixelmator and Word, and sent them out to the family. Afterwards I boxed them up in plastic storage crates, stored them in the attic ....and went on with my life.

(Note: No matter how cool and awesome you think the sunset or mountain range is, or how much it brings you a memory of a good time in your life, your children will only see it as a boring still life. The pictures you take of people will endure, however.)
Oscar Namechange

Photograph Dilemna

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Saint_;1456967 wrote:

(Note: No matter how cool and awesome you think the sunset or mountain range is, or how much it brings you a memory of a good time in your life, your children will only see it as a boring still life. The pictures you take of people will endure, however.) Excellent
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
High Threshold

Photograph Dilemna

Post by High Threshold »

Lon;1456855 wrote: ..... So help me please. What do I do with all these photos?

Stand them on the floor against the wall where they're inconvenient to step past. Leave them there, finding excuses why you can't shift them "just yet". Eventually people will start to complain about it and will either move them for you or scold you, telling you to put them away someplace "temporarily" till you sort them out. Done.

Photograph Dilemna

Post by 911 »

My mother in law has one that goes through the internet (the frame doesn't need to be hooked up to the internet) your children or anyone you allow can download pictures to the frame themselves. It scrolls through all the photos or you can pick a different one everyday to display and you get new ones without the fuss of what to do with the originals.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West

Return to “General Chit Chat”