Longtitude Prize

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Týr

Longtitude Prize

Post by Týr »

We shall refer to it as an essential adjustment.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
LarsMac

Longtitude Prize

Post by LarsMac »

Týr;1455791 wrote: It hadn't crossed my mind that anyone would consider non-peaceful methods. The reduction requires consent and intelligent application.

If we work on a core principle that "Out of Africa" was a retrograde step as far as the interests of life in general are concerned, we might restrict our choice to those whose ancestors had the good sense to stay there in the first place. That may be tough on the descendants of those forcibly expatriated by European slavers, but tough is perhaps inevitable in this process. Either the remaining 100 million contenders can then provide enough volunteer rocket scientists, technologists and poets to keep civilization intact, or perhaps they might choose to train up a cadre of ongoers from birth.

I'm not hard and fast on any of these minor details, others may have suitable suggestions to offer.

Well, I am having a hard time coming up with a plan to convince some 6 Billion inhabitants to voluntarily remove themselves from the planet.

Perhaps a project to sterilize the entire population so that no more offspring are added to the population load. When we reach somewhere near the desired level through natural attrition, the process can be reversed for those who can prove themselves qualified to be parental units. Downside to this idea is the somewhat extended TTR. (Time to Resolution)
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Longtitude Prize

Post by Bruv »

Probably the easiest way would be to turn a blind eye to the North Koreans or middle east arms race........sorted
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
fuzzywuzzy

Longtitude Prize

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Soylent Green anyone?
LarsMac

Longtitude Prize

Post by LarsMac »

fuzzywuzzy;1455839 wrote: Soylent Green anyone?

Not for me, thanks.

I prefer Sea Cucumber and Jellied Eel.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Longtitude Prize

Post by LarsMac »

Well, here is a potential winner for the water problem:

The Solar-Powered Pump System That Could Bring Clean Water to the 800 Million People Without It | EcoWatch
- DH Lawrence
Týr

Longtitude Prize

Post by Týr »

LarsMac;1455863 wrote: Well, here is a potential winner for the water problem:

The Solar-Powered Pump System That Could Bring Clean Water to the 800 Million People Without It | EcoWatch

Do they seriously intend to pump out groundwater on the scale suggested? Everywhere it's been done in the past, solar powered or other-powered, has been an ecological catastrophe as the water table has collapsed. Ask an Australian. Check California. Lowering the water table is absolutely not a sustainable solution to the problem of water supply and everyone knows that to be true, including the short-term profiteers behind your ill-judged advertising featurette.
LarsMac

Longtitude Prize

Post by LarsMac »

Týr;1455950 wrote: Do they seriously intend to pump out groundwater on the scale suggested? Everywhere it's been done in the past, solar powered or other-powered, has been an ecological catastrophe as the water table has collapsed. Ask an Australian. Check California. Lowering the water table is absolutely not a sustainable solution to the problem of water supply and everyone knows that to be true, including the short-term profiteers behind your ill-judged advertising featurette.

Since these things are only good for around 300 feet in depth, the chances of causing severe catastrophic problem are low. Of course care must be taken that they don't drain an aquifer beyond its capacity for restoration. Some research is definitely required to understand how many such pumps could be applied to a particular region.

Long term, of course, some sort of inexpensive desalinization projects are really the solution, but it would require some very large pipeline projects to get the water upstream to many location where it is most needed. That could probably lead us back towards you suggestion earlier for relocating and storing the oceanic overflowed from the melting Icecaps.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Longtitude Prize

Post by Bruv »

@LarsMac

Do you realise you are discussing water supply with the brain behind "Essential Adjustment."?
Týr

Longtitude Prize

Post by Týr »

Bruv;1455964 wrote: Do you realise you are discussing water supply with the brain behind "Essential Adjustment."?

I am, if I recall correctly, giving voice to the opinion of the Duke of Edinburgh who was International President of the World Wildlife Fund at the time.

eta: Not the bit about all the remaining people being African, obviously.
Bruv

Longtitude Prize

Post by Bruv »

Týr;1455965 wrote: I am, if I recall correctly, giving voice to the opinion of the Duke of Edinburgh who was International President of the World Wildlife Fund at the time.

Just a mouthpiece for the Royal Elite then ?
Týr

Longtitude Prize

Post by Týr »

Bruv;1455966 wrote: Just a mouthpiece for the Royal Elite then ?

The chap's exact quote, having now looked for it, is "In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, to contribute something to solving overpopulation (1988)."
Bruv

Longtitude Prize

Post by Bruv »

So rather than being the problem, they might just be the solution.
Týr

Longtitude Prize

Post by Týr »

What I admire about Prince Philip is he doesn't just want overpopulation dealing with, he wants to become the agent of annihilation himself. Not even I go that far.
Bruv

Longtitude Prize

Post by Bruv »

Týr;1455971 wrote: What I admire about Prince Philip is he doesn't just want overpopulation dealing with, he wants to become the agent of annihilation himself. Not even I go that far.

Your name was put forward as the new Plague Mary
LarsMac

Longtitude Prize

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1455964 wrote: @LarsMac

Do you realise you are discussing water supply with the brain behind "Essential Adjustment."?

Er, ummm, well,..., can't say I knew that. Not even sure what "Essential Adjustment" means within the context here.
- DH Lawrence
fuzzywuzzy

Longtitude Prize

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I've noticed when people call for a culling of the human race, they never seem to think they should be one of the culled......hmmmm interesting
LarsMac

Longtitude Prize

Post by LarsMac »

fuzzywuzzy;1456018 wrote: I've noticed when people call for a culling of the human race, they never seem to think they should be one of the culled......hmmmm interesting

Seems so, but then I didn't see Týr planning to move to Africa.

And my suggestion was not to cull 'em out, but just stop 'em from breeding, and let natural attrition do the work.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Longtitude Prize

Post by Bruv »

Bruv;1455810 wrote: Did you want to mastermind the task or are you volunteering to be first in line?

What shall we call it.....culling......thinning......easing, there must be an acceptable term to put before the electorate, or else we wont get any takers.......or givers

Týr;1455824 wrote: We shall refer to it as an essential adjustment.

LarsMac;1456011 wrote: Er, ummm, well,..., can't say I knew that. Not even sure what "Essential Adjustment" means within the context here.

A reprise
Bruv

Longtitude Prize

Post by Bruv »

Antibiotics are the winners

Return to “General Chit Chat”