What would you like to see reintroduced ?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Remember the telephones where you had to say ' Quick, the pips are going'

I'd love to see them Introduced onto modern day phones.

And Green Shield stamps... they were great.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Oscar Mate;1454561 wrote: Remember the telephones where you had to say ' Quick, the pips are going'

I'd love to see them Introduced onto modern day phones.

And Green Shield stamps... they were great.

Yes but you want hanging back too.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

Bruv;1454563 wrote: Yes but you want hanging back too. Show me where I've said that.

Lethal Injection.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

1. I had a 1960 Morris Minor when I lived in Australia. It was standard equipped with a wind-up crank handle for when the battery went flat. I'd like to reintroduce that.

2. When graffiti and liter just didn't happen. I'd like to reintroduce that.

3. When you could go to the neighbours and ask them to lower the volume just a tad without them telling you to go "F" yourself. I'd like to reintroduce that.

4. When you could smile at a child without the community thinking you're a perverted pedophile. I'd like to reintroduce that.

5 to 7. When my wife and I still had sex at least once a day. I'd love to reintroduce that!
Oscar Namechange

High Threshold;1454570 wrote: 1. I had a 1960 Morris Minor when I lived in Australia. It was standard equipped with a wind-up crank handle for when the battery went flat. I'd like to reintroduce that.

2. When graffiti and liter just didn't happen. I'd like to reintroduce that.

3. When you could go to the neighbours and ask them to lower the volume just a tad without them telling you to go "F" yourself. I'd like to reintroduce that.

4. When you could smile at a child without the community thinking you're a perverted pedophile. I'd like to reintroduce that.

5 to 7. When my wife and I still had sex at least once a day. I'd love to reintroduce that!

Brilliant !!!!
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

High Threshold;1454570 wrote:

Yes, but does she? :)
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

fuzzywuzzy;1454587 wrote: Yes, but does she? :)

I suppose that depends. I'm retired, she still works. If she had as much free time on her hands as I do, she might ...... but "Computer says no."
Oscar Namechange

Who remembers Clackers before they were banned?

They were fun. Most kids got sent home from school with broken knuckles.

My Father threw mine away after they left my hand at speed and took out a glass door.

Attached files
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Oscar Sellotape;1455790 wrote: Who remembers Clackers before they were banned?

They were fun. Most kids got sent home from school with broken knuckles.

My Father threw mine away after they left my hand at speed and took out a glass door.

I used to use those when it was llama round-up time in Bolivia. Not as flashy as yours though. Did you use them in England once shooting fox was banned?
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

What about these bird whistle things. Stick the membrane on the tip of your tongue and let it rip. It was the same principle as stretching a blade of grass vertically between your thumbs and blowing like hell.

Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Saturday Morning Cartoons....specifically the Bugs Bunny / Roadrunner Show.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I'd like to return to a culture where people didn't swear continuously, where politeness and courtesy were the norm.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Bryn Mawr;1455801 wrote: I'd like to return to a culture where people didn't swear continuously, where politeness and courtesy were the norm.

I'd like that too but then I guess we'd have to give up the PC, the electric guitar, the hoover, the washing up machine, the airing cabinet, central heating, double glazing, the motorcar, and return to Balaclava for another walk through the valley of death.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Bryn Mawr;1455801 wrote: I'd like to return to a culture where people didn't swear continuously, where politeness and courtesy were the norm.

Holy sh1t, that's a fu2kin great idea! I totally second the old mustached dude's politeness thingy.
Oscar Namechange

Saint_;1455799 wrote: Saturday Morning Cartoons....specifically the Bugs Bunny / Roadrunner Show. God Yes, Saturday morning cinema for kids...
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Oscar Farage;1455814 wrote: God Yes, Saturday morning cinema for kids...

So what you're saying is that you would like to see your childhood reintroduced. :wah:
Oscar Namechange

High Threshold;1455823 wrote: So what you're saying is that you would like to see your childhood reintroduced. :wah:Reintroduced ???? I'm still living It.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

I would also like to see skiffle bands reintroduced. Well .... who wouldn't?
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Disco

not really . Just wanted to see how many members cringed when they saw it
Oscar Namechange

High Threshold;1455888 wrote: I would also like to see skiffle bands reintroduced. Well .... who wouldn't? Errr me !!!!
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

fuzzywuzzy;1455893 wrote: Disco

not really . Just wanted to see how many members cringed when they saw it

Where are the BG's and ABBA when we need them most?
Oscar Namechange

High Threshold;1455911 wrote: Where are the BG's and ABBA when we need them most? My house... although I have banned the husband from playing them In the car on long jouney's.....

Anyway Abba brings out the worst In me. Ask Lord Sugar !!!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Agnetha's ass is the best in the universe
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Bruv;1455914 wrote: Agnetha's ass is the best in the universe

Cooo!
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Oscar Farage;1455912 wrote: .... Abba brings out the worst In me.

Bring back memories of a naughty period in your life perhaps?
Oscar Namechange

High Threshold;1455917 wrote: Bring back memories of a naughty period in your life perhaps? I have to agree with that although not In a Lesbos type kind of way. She was ans still Is absolutely stunning.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Do you know the story of "the other one" - Frida? That's a story to be told, and ought to be required knowledge.
Oscar Namechange

High Threshold;1455928 wrote: Do you know the story of "the other one" - Frida? That's a story to be told, and ought to be required knowledge.

Yes, apprently she was the product of a Nazi Arian Liason.

I can't hear Dancing Queen without hanging my head In shame. Once a year at my old company, top sales achievers got a treat. This year we stayed at The Tower hotel and was told our dinner was a surprise. I don't drink alcohol but that night, our treat was dinner on a yacht as we cruised up The Thames In the moonlight. What can I say ? Free unlimited Champagne !!!! It was as Dancing Queen was being played, I asked Lord Sugar to get In our Conga.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Oscar Farage;1455930 wrote: I asked Lord Sugar to get In our Conga.

Get in your whatta ?

OK seriously......did he?
Oscar Namechange

Bruv;1455933 wrote: Get in your whatta ?

OK seriously......did he?

No... he said ' Maybe later' and laughed.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Oscar Farage;1455937 wrote: No... he said ' Maybe later' and laughed.
What class.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Oscar Farage;1455930 wrote: Yes, apprently she was the product of a Nazi Arian Liason.

A bit over-stated. He was a German soldier posted to a small town in Norway, during the Nazi occupation of that country. She fell in love with him and she got pregnant. When the Nazis were routed he had to leave behind his love and his child (Yet unborn? Yes, I think so). Post WW II Norway wasn't very sympathetic to women who'd shagged the Germans and even the child Frida suffered at school. So mum whisked her away to Sweden where we are (were anyway) less condemning.

Oscar Farage;1455930 wrote: I can't hear Dancing Queen without hanging my head In shame. Once a year at my old company, top sales achievers got a treat. This year we stayed at The Tower hotel and was told our dinner was a surprise. I don't drink alcohol but that night, our treat was dinner on a yacht as we cruised up The Thames In the moonlight. What can I say ? Free unlimited Champagne !!!! It was as Dancing Queen was being played, I asked Lord Sugar to get In our Conga.

What a perfectly dreamy story! :-6
Oscar Namechange

Bruv;1455938 wrote: What class. I was alright until Dancing Queen started and someone started the Conga..... he's very short you know !!!!

However he did respond to my request many years later for a donation to the Injured Jockey's Fund Charity...So In my book, he's a leg end.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

High Threshold;1455804 wrote: I'd like that too but then I guess we'd have to give up the PC, the electric guitar, the hoover, the washing up machine, the airing cabinet, central heating, double glazing, the motorcar, and return to Balaclava for another walk through the valley of death.

That's why I said to that culture rather than to that time - go beck to that time and you loose too much but we can change our culture without giving up the advances we have, undeniably, made.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Bryn Mawr;1456178 wrote: ..... go beck to that time and you loose too much but we can change our culture without giving up the advances we have .....

I'm not so optimistic. Things have got so bad that you'd have to bust a lot of heads before you'd get respect back into the community, and that (the head busting) would just initiate another age of barbarism. A bit like saying, "Get civilized or I'll kill you."
Oscar Namechange

High Threshold;1456191 wrote: I'm not so optimistic. Things have got so bad that you'd have to bust a lot of heads before you'd get respect back into the community, and that (the head busting) would just initiate another age of barbarism. A bit like saying, "Get civilized or I'll kill you." Sometimes when I'm winding down of a night, I go on sites to look at remote cottages on Islands In Scotland for sale. It would be bliss for me. Although I would need a 7/11 on the corner for my Ciggs.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Oscar Farage;1456210 wrote: Sometimes when I'm winding down of a night, I go on sites to look at remote cottages on Islands In Scotland for sale. It would be bliss for me. Although I would need a 7/11 on the corner for my Ciggs.

I hear you loud and clear. I'd love to move to a small village and put down roots. I'm retired, after all, but my wife would go right round the bend within a month. If I'm honest, I'm not sure if I'd cope myself...
Oscar Namechange

High Threshold;1456211 wrote: I hear you loud and clear. I'd love to move to a small village and put down roots. I'm retired, after all, but my wife would go right round the bend within a month. If I'm honest, I'm not sure if I'd cope myself... Oh I could.... all I'd need was a basic phone, Internet occasionally, and I'd be happy. You know the kind of place where you'd fill your car up once a week where the pump attendant would give you a cheery hello and check your oil and clean your windscreen all In the service Instead of some sour faced old prune demanding ' what pump' ? That sort of place.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Oscar Farage;1456212 wrote: Oh I could.... all I'd need was a basic phone, Internet occasionally, and I'd be happy. You know the kind of place where you'd fill your car up once a week where the pump attendant would give you a cheery hello and check your oil and clean your windscreen all In the service Instead of some sour faced old prune demanding ' what pump' ? That sort of place.

There's a Norwegian series shown on Swedish TV at the moment called "Där ingen skulle tro att någon kunde bo". "Where no one could think that anyone could live".

Där ingen skulle tro att någon kunde bo | SVT.se

Lord! Really! There are places no one could ever imagine someone could (or would want to) live!

Just some background if you watch the episode that's at the link ..... it's been 10 years since the TV program visited this family. Back then the wife had given up and moved to a "large" village, so she wasn't there. After the program was aired, however, she saw it and had a change of heart and returned. She is now in this episode and expalins the situation. And in case you wonder, it's in Norwegian with Swedish sub-titles.
Oscar Namechange

High Threshold;1456218 wrote: There's a Norwegian series shown on Swedish TV at the moment called "Där ingen skulle tro att någon kunde bo". "Where no one could think that anyone could live".

Där ingen skulle tro att någon kunde bo | SVT.se

Lord! Really! There are places no one could ever imagine someone could (or would want to) live! That Is so beautiful !!!! I'd be happy there !!!
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Oscar Farage;1456220 wrote: That Is so beautiful !!!! I'd be happy there !!!

You might have trouble finding your fags there, and the mobile telephone connection ......... hmmmmm .....

BTW. I haven't watched the whole eipisode. It's a "revisit" to some of the families that were interviewed on an earlier program. The second one is rather tragic in that the oldest son died in some sort of accident since the first visit and they speak about how they've manage to cope, etc.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I would like to see good home-style, fresh-baked pies reintroduced.

These days, the local restaurants by their pies from some factory-type outfit, who doesn't really know how to make good pies.

It's the little things that matter, and are now found wanting.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

LarsMac;1456257 wrote: I would like to see good home-style, fresh-baked pies reintroduced.

These days, the local restaurants by their pies from some factory-type outfit, who doesn't really know how to make good pies.

It's the little things that matter, and are now found wanting.
Oh Yes, those speciality shops that make pies. Even our High Street bakers come nowhere near a good home baked Pie.

My Mother used to make an ' Allsorts pie' on a Monday. The pastry was always fresh home made and so short It melted In your mouth. When you asked her what was In It, she'd say ' All sorts; which meant what was left over from the weekend roast and any other bits lying around.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I'm lucky in that there is a local restaurant that makes their pies themselves and you can watch them make it and put it in the oven. Yum!
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

A life not filled with work and more work. Remember when you were young and wanted to be "older"? Well I would like to see 'life' reintroduced!
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1456257 wrote: I would like to see good home-style, fresh-baked pies reintroduced.

Grand ma-ma didn't pass it down to the next generation, eh? :(
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Wandrin;1456274 wrote: I'm lucky in that there is a local restaurant that makes their pies themselves and you can watch them make it and put it in the oven. Yum!

Do they make rhubarb, pumpkin and cherry?
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

High Threshold;1456282 wrote: Do they make rhubarb, pumpkin and cherry?

Cherry is only in-season. Their pumpkin pie is great. I don't recall if rhubarb is on the menu.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Wandrin;1456285 wrote: Cherry is only in-season. Their pumpkin pie is great. I don't recall if rhubarb is on the menu.

uhhh :yh_drool ..... ohhh :yh_drool ..... ooooo! ..... :yh_drool
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Where is this pie shop? :driving:

Return to “General Chit Chat”