EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Discuss the latest political news.
Bruv

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Post by Bruv »

I'm not ashamed to say, I don't get how the EU Election works.

I looked up who my MEP was.....it appears my area covers the whole south east of England with 7 representatives including 2 Conservatives 2 Lib Dems 1 Green 1 Labour and 1 Mr Farage UKIP......plus it tells me......

"The Conservative MEPs for your region have informed us that they have divided it into areas, with one MEP dealing with constituent correspondence per area"

And another 3 Conservative MEP's or MP's or at least Conservative Party members listed for mail purposes.

Does anybody know how it all works?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

gmc Is your man to best give advice...

Elections taking place in your area - About my vote, produced by The Electoral Commission
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Post by Bruv »

Oscar Sellotape;1454691 wrote: gmc Is your man to best give advice...

Elections taking place in your area - About my vote, produced by The Electoral Commission

He's a blooming Scot for gods sake, they will have to re-apply to stay in if they want to of course......................after the vote.

I thought you was on the cutting edge of UK politics.

I have a rough idea how the Parliament and local councils function and the areas involved...........................but this lot's done my brain in.

Apparently Farage is possibly my MEP......on your list there are 10, on mine 7 plus 3 others.......I am very confused.
Oscar Namechange

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Bruv;1454696 wrote: He's a blooming Scot for gods sake, they will have to re-apply to stay in if they want to of course......................after the vote.

I thought you was on the cutting edge of UK politics.

I have a rough idea how the Parliament and local councils function and the areas involved...........................but this lot's done my brain in.

Apparently Farage is possibly my MEP......on your list there are 10, on mine 7 plus 3 others.......I am very confused. But I know exactly who I'm voting for.... so should you
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Try this... I can't explain It... too damn complicated

European Parliament elections in England, Scotland and Wales - About my vote, produced by The Electoral Commission
Bruv

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Post by Bruv »

Oscar Sellotape;1454698 wrote: Try this... I can't explain It... too damn complicated

European Parliament elections in England, Scotland and Wales - About my vote, produced by The Electoral Commission
Been there......still don't really get the structure.

I do know who I am voting for.
Oscar Namechange

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Bruv;1454704 wrote: Been there......still don't really get the structure.

I do know who I am voting for. Then just put your cross In his box... sorted.
Bruv

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Post by Bruv »

When I put my X in the box in a General Election or a Local Council election I know their remit, their area, whereabouts they live......not so with this lot.
Oscar Namechange

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Bruv;1454732 wrote: When I put my X in the box in a General Election or a Local Council election I know their remit, their area, whereabouts they live......not so with this lot.
Then It's the one you want representing you In the EU elections. You get seperate ballot cards for local council... I think
Bruv

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Post by Bruv »

Oscar Sellotape;1454746 wrote: Then It's the one you want representing you In the EU elections. You get seperate ballot cards for local council... I think

There is no General or Local election, I nearly undertand how they work.

I can vote and vote for who I want in the EU elections.............I still need to know the way it functions.
Oscar Namechange

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Bruv;1454747 wrote: There is no General or Local election, I nearly undertand how they work.

I can vote and vote for who I want in the EU elections.............I still need to know the way it functions. Right, try this one big boy.

Elections
fuzzywuzzy

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

OMG!!! Now it's happening to you guys? openmind FB'd me today wanting to know about 'preferences'....wanting to know how a party who is not elected gets into government......I sort of explained it and you guys have it as well? Oh you are so screwed.

something is very very wrong world wide.
Bruv

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Post by Bruv »

Oscar Sellotape;1454752 wrote: Right, try this one big boy.

Elections

Well......that's cleared that up.

It is a strange set up isn't it?

Heres a bit that needed an explanation......think I think I have it now.

"The allocation of seats is laid down in the European treaties on the basis of the principle of degressive proportionality: countries with a larger population have more seats than smaller countries, but the latter have more seats than strict proportionality would imply"

This bit is still open to understanding

"Elections are contested by national political parties but once MEPs are elected, most opt to become part of transnational political groups"
Oscar Namechange

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Bruv;1454777 wrote: Well......that's cleared that up.

It is a strange set up isn't it?

Heres a bit that needed an explanation......think I think I have it now.

"The allocation of seats is laid down in the European treaties on the basis of the principle of degressive proportionality: countries with a larger population have more seats than smaller countries, but the latter have more seats than strict proportionality would imply"

This bit is still open to understanding

"Elections are contested by national political parties but once MEPs are elected, most opt to become part of transnational political groups" I sort of got It but try explaining that lot to my neighbour Mrs Bagcrumble In simplistic terms...

Nothing's simple In this country eh ?
Bruv

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Post by Bruv »

I might be turning........UKIP.....or anti EU anyway...............Im not sure why though.
Oscar Namechange

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Bruv;1454791 wrote: I might be turning........UKIP.....or anti EU anyway...............Im not sure why though.There are many arguments out there as to why this EU voting system Is unfair based on proportion of population. There are arguments that It's orchestrated to give smaller countries a lesser say In the EU and larger countries like Germany a larger say.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Oscar Sellotape;1454697 wrote: But I know exactly who I'm voting for.... so should you

I know exactly who I'm voting against - does that count?
Bruv

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1455651 wrote: I know exactly who I'm voting against - does that count?

Too late Bryn.......it was last week mate.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1455655 wrote: Too late Bryn.......it was last week mate.

I'm so behind the times it's not true - too much chill followed by too much playing catchup.
fuzzywuzzy

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

So the way I see it. This EU thing you guys are under is almost the equivalent tot he TPP they want to bring in in the pacific region.
Bruv

EU Elections HELP !!!!!

Post by Bruv »

Sort of.

Big business rules.

Return to “Current Political Events”