New Addition to Oscar household

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

It's a long story... friend of a friend of a friend.

What did I say about never having another Parson Terrier ???!!!

Welcome to our world and our home Puppy... ( The one In the foreground and to the right.)

7 month old Parson Russell Terrier.... sadly, been abused...

Now full speed, love and hugs forever.

Attached files
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Any suggestions for names ?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

They are so sweet. Like angels. Name--Angel?
Oscar Namechange

AnneBoleyn;1455298 wrote: They are so sweet. Like angels. Name--Angel? That's nice...

Just got her home an hour ago. She's never had a garden. She's lived In an attic flat 3 floors up In a built up area of Bristol with her front door right on a main road.

She's exploring the garden right now She's very thin and needs some weight on her. When I asked her owner what times of the day she was being fed, I was told ' She has some biscuits In the morning and then If she's been good, I give her food In the evening' !!!!!!
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

thank you for rescuing this poor baby whose only crime is being beautiful
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

ps--what is an "attack flat"??
Oscar Namechange

AnneBoleyn;1455310 wrote: ps--what is an "attack flat"??

:yh_rotfl That'll teach me to type In semi-dark.... ATTIC flat :yh_rotfl
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Oh, good. I was worried this angel baby was being trained to fight, or something.
Oscar Namechange

AnneBoleyn;1455320 wrote: Oh, good. I was worried this angel baby was being trained to fight, or something. Haha looks like feeding her up Is the least of my problems... she's very timid and fearful.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Oscar Sellotape;1455323 wrote: Haha looks like feeding her up Is the least of my problems... she's very timid and fearful.

and sweet!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

What a nice little lady (the dog, I mean ! ) well actually the soft sod called Julie can't be all bad - rescuing that little yapper from, I expect, beatings and starvings. Some people can be so bloody cruel ! Thank goodness some of that cruelty is offset by people like Julie and Peter. I hope your garden is small dog proof, it would be tragic if the little madam dug her way out and ran off. It's going to take a long time and a lot of love to gain any trust from that little lady, bless her. Gawd you've got all the expense of injections etc. to fork out for. I expect that she will prove to be worth every penny though. You're going to love having her and soothing her fear, and she'll love you for it. I wonder if the poor little thing is injured at all ? There seem to be a lot of people around who should never ever own a pet !

When we got our Jessica home after we adopted her from the RSPCA animal shelter, we systematically walked her all around the immediate streets near our house, increasing the radius over time. She would recognise her home 'patch' should anything untoward occur that might take her away from her home and cause her to be wandering on her own. Now, whenever we take her in the car for trips out, as soon as we get to within a couple of miles of home on our return, Jessica gets fidgety and starts 'squeeking' - she definitely recognises her home area ! The squeeks from her in the car are horrendously piercing and almost unbearable in the confined space of the car! We are trying to encourage her not to do it, but it's gonna take quite a long time!

:-5 :yh_rotfl

All the best to you, Julie, and that little 'lady' is a lucky little girl to have been rescued by you and Peter. I wonder how she will take to the foxes !!!!!! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

For name suggestions (don't know what those other people called her) - how about -

Kizzy, Honey, Holly, Tammy............... or maybe just 'Lady' cos she is a little one innit. ;)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Oscar Namechange

G#Gill;1455347 wrote: What a nice little lady (the dog, I mean ! ) well actually the soft sod called Julie can't be all bad - rescuing that little yapper from, I expect, beatings and starvings. Some people can be so bloody cruel ! Thank goodness some of that cruelty is offset by people like Julie and Peter. I hope your garden is small dog proof, it would be tragic if the little madam dug her way out and ran off. It's going to take a long time and a lot of love to gain any trust from that little lady, bless her. Gawd you've got all the expense of injections etc. to fork out for. I expect that she will prove to be worth every penny though. You're going to love having her and soothing her fear, and she'll love you for it. I wonder if the poor little thing is injured at all ? There seem to be a lot of people around who should never ever own a pet !

When we got our Jessica home after we adopted her from the RSPCA animal shelter, we systematically walked her all around the immediate streets near our house, increasing the radius over time. She would recognise her home 'patch' should anything untoward occur that might take her away from her home and cause her to be wandering on her own. Now, whenever we take her in the car for trips out, as soon as we get to within a couple of miles of home on our return, Jessica gets fidgety and starts 'squeeking' - she definitely recognises her home area ! The squeeks from her in the car are horrendously piercing and almost unbearable in the confined space of the car! We are trying to encourage her not to do it, but it's gonna take quite a long time!

:-5 :yh_rotfl

All the best to you, Julie, and that little 'lady' is a lucky little girl to have been rescued by you and Peter. I wonder how she will take to the foxes !!!!!! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

For name suggestions (don't know what those other people called her) - how about -

Kizzy, Honey, Holly, Tammy............... or maybe just 'Lady' cos she is a little one innit. ;) Awww Thanks Gill and great Idea about getting her used to her new patch.

First of all, never mind her getting out, our garden has already been Houdini proofed having already a Parson Jack and a Jack Russell. The area where the Foxes come In Is a side garden that Is Individually fenced and gated with 6 ft fencing so they can't get in there. Oh boy, do they want to get In there haha but can't.

The rest has wire fencing 5 ft high strengthened with concrete posts running the entire width and length. Rosie the Jack Russell has been trying to dig under It for 5 years and gets nowhere but I know what you mean. ... and a garden gate with a lock. Outside the gate Is a field.

We were asked to take her from friends concerned about how she was living and being treated. They finally convinced the owner to give her up. I don't think anyone sets out to be deliberately cruel. As with her, they buy entirely the wrong breed and then especially with a terrier when It becomes destructive or naught, they see no other way of controlling than to hit and shout.

She's had a good feed of meatloaf and boiled chicken tonight... boy did she eat !!!! and now finally she's settled on the sofa. My other two have no problems with her.... It's all good so far.

So pleased to hear Jessica Is thriving. Thanks for your kind words. I like Holly.
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

Go Oscar! :)

I'm glad you saved this little one..

as for names.. no good asking me.. my cats are called: Stewie & Dumpling en the girls are: Polly & Sybil (Fawlty Towers). :wah:
Oscar Namechange

Chloe_88;1455359 wrote: Go Oscar! :)

I'm glad you saved this little one..

as for names.. no good asking me.. my cats are called: Stewie & Dumpling en the girls are: Polly & Sybil (Fawlty Towers). :wah: Now I do like Sybil !!!!

I've certainly got my work cut out over the next few months. She's not toilet trained ( and has then been shouted at for her accidents), she's absolutely no training In recall and the basics, sit, stay etc. She's been confused stupid over being shouted out and cowers away from us when we try to hug her.

But I'll give her my all In my methods... praise and reward, calm Instructions, one word commands and............ patience
Oscar Namechange

Well I am pleased to report her first night went well...She tried following me to bed and had to be firm as only Boy Dog Is allowed In the bedroom at night where he sleeps beside me. Told her to go lie down and she did so with Rosie In the lounge. Never had a peep from her all night. Just a little tiddle on the newspaper I put out for her and then straight out to the garden for toilet this morning.

She's had a lovely morning at Bath Market and Bath race course where she seems sociable but jumps back when people try to touch her. As yet, no problems at all.
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

I'm please to hear all went well!
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

She's a cute little gal!
Oscar Namechange

Wandrin;1455450 wrote: She's a cute little gal! Cheers Mate.... I was so embarrassed today because you can clearly see her ribs sticking out when she's walking along so had to tell everyone I'd only just got her.

When you take rescue and you know they have suffered, It's such a joy to see them do the things all dogs should do that they have been denied. She can't seem to get enough of the fact that she's no longer up In an attic and she has a garden now. She just keeps going In and out, In and out almost checking It's still there for her.

Later today, I bit the bullet and unleashed her for the first time In the field.... omg... she just ran and ran her heart out with a big grin on her face... a joy to see...
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Bit risky, that, unless the dog has learned to come back to you when it is called ! Have you got a contact number on a tag on her collar ? I'm afraid we kept Jessica on a lead for several days, till she got used to the fact that we were her forever family, and also that she had learned her name properly ! The first time we took her lead off in the field, she ran like the wind all over the field, but the minute she was called back she came straight away and was hugely praised !

Sounds like your new family member thinks she is in 7th heaven !!!! She's probably right !!!! The time you will know that she has accepted you and Peter as her new 'pack' is when she barks at somebody at your front door !
Oscar Namechange

G#Gill;1455470 wrote: Bit risky, that, unless the dog has learned to come back to you when it is called ! Have you got a contact number on a tag on her collar ? I'm afraid we kept Jessica on a lead for several days, till she got used to the fact that we were her forever family, and also that she had learned her name properly ! The first time we took her lead off in the field, she ran like the wind all over the field, but the minute she was called back she came straight away and was hugely praised !

Sounds like your new family member thinks she is in 7th heaven !!!! She's probably right !!!! The time you will know that she has accepted you and Peter as her new 'pack' is when she barks at somebody at your front door !

You're right Gill, It was a risk unleashing her for the first time but we got her a new collar and name tag yesterday morning In Bath. The field outside my house Is fenced In. There's an entrance/exit at the top that's gated and my end, I got the Council to put a Kissing gate In two years ago to stop young children and dogs from running Into our lane... so It's extremely secure. Besides which, she had my two with her and I guessed she'd stick with them as she did.

She did recall when we called our two back and got lots of praise and reward and then we let them away again. More praise and reward and so on. She's picked It up very quickly but then Parson Terriers are highly Intelligent dogs.

We haven't heard her bark yet but I got a lovely welcome when I got up this morning. She came and gave me some lovely kisses. She's also worked out where everything Is very quickly ie the Fridge where yummy cheese and cooked sausage Is kept :wah:

It's just a joy to see her bounce about like a puppy should Instead of the head hung low as she was. That's all the reward I need... and you know exactly what I mean.

In just two days, her whole demeanor Is different.
Oscar Namechange

Some of what may seem minor things today but Important breakthroughs.

She let Peter cut all her nails ( Trust) and I've got eye contact ( Bonding).

She's discovered kisses and hugs are nice and every now and then, her snout nudges my hand for another. She's held her head high all day long which Is fantastic to see.

Now she's snoozing with the other two.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Oscar Sellotape;1455545 wrote: Some of what may seem minor things today but Important breakthroughs.

She let Peter cut all her nails ( Trust) and I've got eye contact ( Bonding).

She's discovered kisses and hugs are nice and every now and then, her snout nudges my hand for another. She's held her head high all day long which Is fantastic to see.

Now she's snoozing with the other two.

That is so good to hear, and you seem to be very relieved and happy that she is picking things up quickly :D :-6 Nice one ! By the way, have you got a name for her yet, besides 'Oy you' :wah:
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

It sounds like the little gal is adjusting to her new life quite well. That's good to hear.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Oscar Sellotape;1455269 wrote: It's a long story... friend of a friend of a friend.

What did I say about never having another Parson Terrier ???!!!

Welcome to our world and our home Puppy... ( The one In the foreground and to the right.)

7 month old Parson Russell Terrier.... sadly, been abused...

Now full speed, love and hugs forever.

Congratulations Oscar!!

And what a cute little one she is :-4

From reading the other posts it sounds like she is doing just fine and You and Peter are enjoying giving her a "forever home." Sounds like a win/win for all involved. :)

I like her markings, the brown ear rings and the dash in the middle. You could name her Dash but I think she looks more like a Queenie.

Dogs Rule!
Oscar Namechange

Lady J;1455566 wrote: Congratulations Oscar!!

And what a cute little one she is :-4

From reading the other posts it sounds like she is doing just fine and You and Peter are enjoying giving her a "forever home." Sounds like a win/win for all involved. :)

I like her markings, the brown ear rings and the dash in the middle. You could name her Dash but I think she looks more like a Queenie.

Dogs Rule! Thank You R

The name Is a real toughy... Her name was Hannah but for me, It's the name she associated with being shouted at. If you take a dog to Rescue here In the UK, very often they will change the name however old they are because they can often associate their old name with bad memories.

I was talking to someone who knew the owner yesterday and he told me that one day poor Hannah was so hungry she was stealing raw potato's and carrots from a carrier bag and eating them... that's heartbreaking.

I have been calling her Hanny but I'm still stuck... I like ' Duchess' after one of my favourite Stranglers tracks.... What do you think?
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Biscuit eater or just Biscuit
Oscar Namechange

YZGI;1455579 wrote: Biscuit eater or just Biscuit
After deliberation and as her original name was Hannah, we have settled on ' Hanny'...

Gill.... Car just pulled up outside our house and she raced out to the gate and barked.... Yep, It's her home now.
Oscar Namechange

Update... It's been a week or more now and she continue's to thrive.

Caught her eating potato peelings out of the bin about an hour after she'd had a good meal. I've had rescue like this before where they never ever forget they went hungry and grab anything as If It's the last food they'll ever have. They rarely lose that and will always be scavengers however well fed they are.

I've noticed when I go to her, she backs away. So I've been letting her come to me In her own time but as she gets close, If I put my hand out to touch her, however gently, she jerks back. That tells me she's been hit around the head. That will take a lot of time but she's getting there.

She loves walks and loves to run, something I don't think she's ever had. I've spent a lot of time with her In the field doing one on one recall training and she responds well to treats. She hasn't got a clue about sit and stay yet but considering she's had no toilet training, she's been remarkably clean and after just one week Is asking to go out Into the garden. I'm really pleased with that.

Still need to gently remind her the Kitten Is not a toy but other than that, no real bad news.
Oscar Namechange

She's settled In really well and Is being spoilt... Peter has even bought her a paddling pool for the patio because she loves the river so much,

Rosie asleep and new addition

Attached files
Oscar Namechange

Madam continue's to thrive although she Is a thief and If It's not nailed down, then It will be dragged Into the garden.

Attached files
valerie

Post by valerie »

She has SUCH a cute face!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Return to “Pets Animals”