My Brother the Islamist

Discuss the latest political news.
Bruv

My Brother the Islamist

Post by Bruv »

Watched this on TV recently, well worth watching I think.

My Brother the Islamist
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
theia

My Brother the Islamist

Post by theia »

Yes, it was an interesting programme and it helped to open my mind, just a little
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bruv

My Brother the Islamist

Post by Bruv »

theia;1453292 wrote: Yes, it was an interesting programme and it helped to open my mind, just a little

Gave another mind opening angle didn't it?
tude dog

My Brother the Islamist

Post by tude dog »

Was to busy planting garlic,

what did I miss?
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bruv

My Brother the Islamist

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1453310 wrote: Was to busy planting garlic,

what did I miss?

It's too busy, two O's...................but while your here, what did you miss?

A chance to open your closed mind?

Another point of view, other than the mainstream media?

What you didn't miss........another chance to show your tunnel vision narrow minded bigotry ?

Enjoy the garlic......understand the mossies eat a lot of that......there maybe a chance for you yet.
tude dog

My Brother the Islamist

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1453332 wrote: It's too busy, two O's

I'll take your word for it.

I been corrected on that before. Keep an eye out cause I'm likely to get it wrong again. Only two is a certainty in life.

Gotta go, potatoes need watering.
Bruv

My Brother the Islamist

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1453337 wrote: I'll take your word for it.
It's not my word, it is common knowledge, so people can communicate without confusion, one letter or nuance in speech can make a lot of difference.......but only if you want or care to listen.

I been corrected on that before. Keep an eye out cause I'm likely to get it wrong again.
I had worked that out.......................some people can't or don't want to learn.

Gotta go, potatoes need watering.

Given you good link.......

Knowledge is power.
Accountable

My Brother the Islamist

Post by Accountable »

Had to go to bed before it finished, so I haven't seen the last 10 minutes or so. I don't think I understand any more than I did in the beginning. Completely foreign to my thinking.
Bruv

My Brother the Islamist

Post by Bruv »

Accountable;1453396 wrote: Had to go to bed before it finished, so I haven't seen the last 10 minutes or so. I don't think I understand any more than I did in the beginning. Completely foreign to my thinking.

Not understanding is acceptable as long as you tried to educate yourself to something outside your experience.

Not understanding is an education in it's self.

Many in the film were intelligent individuals who made considered decisions, I can understand how they came to those decisions, now I want to know why.
fuzzywuzzy

My Brother the Islamist

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I watched it all........................hhhhmmmmm.
Accountable

My Brother the Islamist

Post by Accountable »

Bruv;1453411 wrote: Not understanding is acceptable as long as you tried to educate yourself to something outside your experience.

Not understanding is an education in it's self.

Many in the film were intelligent individuals who made considered decisions, I can understand how they came to those decisions, now I want to know why.

I've known evangelical christians with a similar mindset. I think it is important to them to consider themselves outsiders, aliens to the norm. I'm not sure they would act the same if they found themselves in a society that embraced all that they claim to hold dear.

What I mean is, it's one thing to stand on the streets of London and cry out that aldulterors should be stoned to death. It's a completely different thing to have a cop (or other authority figure) place a rock in your hand.
tude dog

My Brother the Islamist

Post by tude dog »

Accountable;1453496 wrote: I've known evangelical christians with a similar mindset. I think it is important to them to consider themselves outsiders, aliens to the norm. I'm not sure they would act the same if they found themselves in a society that embraced all that they claim to hold dear.

What I mean is, it's one thing to stand on the streets of London and cry out that aldulterors should be stoned to death. It's a completely different thing to have a cop (or other authority figure) place a rock in your hand.

I broke down and actually watched the film and had similar thoughts.

Known some who find a religion or cause which seems to consume their lives, not much different than the subject of that film. Honestly didn't really learn anything I didn't know before, except to see someone actually practice the secret handshake.

All in all, for what it's worth,

My brother the Islamist plotted terror attacks

BBC film's subject targeted town that saluted dead soldiers.

A white Muslim convert who labelled British troops "murderers" planned a terrorist attack on Wootton Bassett and the intelligence agencies.

Richard Dart, along with Jahangir Alom, a former police community support officer, and a third man, Imran Mahmood, wanted to stage an atrocity in the Wiltshire town famed for the crowds that lined its streets during the repatriation of dead soldiers.

They also discussed targeting "heads" of MI5 and MI6.

Dart, 29, a former BBC security guard and the son of Dorset teachers, was radicalised by the hate cleric Anjem Choudary. He was the subject of an award-winning BBC documentary in 2011, My Brother the Islamist, filmed by his stepbrother.

In one scene, during a demonstration, he accuses soldiers returning from Afghanistan of being "murderers" and calls for an Islamic state in Britain.

at the Old Bailey yesterday, the three admitted preparing for terrorism or assisting in terrorism, between July 2010 and July 2012.

The charges involve travelling to Pakistan for terrorist training, travelling abroad to commit terrorism and providing information about terrorist training.

The pair were stopped at Heathrow in November 2011 and prevented from flying to Pakistan. Police seized computer equipment. But they were not arrested until July 2012. Police do not think the Games were a target but Alom's home was within a mile of the Olympic Park.

Dart, Alom and Mahmood will be sentenced at a later date.

The Telegraph

Dart, 30, of Broadway, Ealing, west London, was jailed for six years; Mahmood, 22, from Dabbs Hill Lane, Northolt, west London, was jailed for nine years and nine months; and Alom, 26, of Abbey Road, Stratford, east London, was jailed for four years and six months.

METRO
fuzzywuzzy

My Brother the Islamist

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I think the most potent moment in that film was the realization of the brother that he was not this mans' brother anymore, but just another westerner. I thought that was extremely sad.
Accountable

My Brother the Islamist

Post by Accountable »

Yeh, that part was deep.
tude dog

My Brother the Islamist

Post by tude dog »

fuzzywuzzy;1453544 wrote: I think the most potent moment in that film was the realization of the brother that he was not this mans' brother anymore, but just another westerner. I thought that was extremely sad.

It is sad.

Just thinking aloud, some of us have brothers/sisters we wish would just leave us alone.
Bruv

My Brother the Islamist

Post by Bruv »

fuzzywuzzy;1453544 wrote: I think the most potent moment in that film was the realization of the brother that he was not this mans' brother anymore, but just another westerner. I thought that was extremely sad.

Accountable;1453557 wrote: Yeh, that part was deep.

tude dog;1453561 wrote: It is sad.

Just thinking aloud, some of us have brothers/sisters we wish would just leave us alone.

Hope you are all considering the parent's feelings.........Tude?
AnneBoleyn

My Brother the Islamist

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1453561 wrote: It is sad.

Yep. That's what *my* sister thinks too.

Return to “Current Political Events”