Nostradamus

Discuss Astrology, Confucianism, Healing Arts, Hinduism, Mysticism, Paganism, Reincarnation, Sikhism, others
Bez

Nostradamus

Post by Bez »

Has anyone ever read the prophesies of Nostradamus ?

Do you think the prophsesies are true ?

A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
chonsigirl

Nostradamus

Post by chonsigirl »

Well, I really don't believe in his prophecies, but here is the famous one about Hitler............

Century #2 Quatrain #24

Bestes farouches de faim fleuues tranner;

Plus part du champ encontre Hister sera,

En cage de fer le grand fera treisner,

Quand rien enfant de Germain obseruera.

Beasts ferocious from hunger will swim across rivers:

The greater part of the region will be against the Hister,

The great one will cause it to be dragged in an iron cage,

When the German child will observe nothing.

The question is, is the word Hister a spelling mistake? How can it be, since it was originally written in French-the mistake would be in the French original. But they are interesting to look through Bez.
telaquapacky

Nostradamus

Post by telaquapacky »

Nostradamus undoubtedly had a supernatural source of information about the future. Besides this, he was a genius. His writings have fascinated readers for centuries, and predicted quite a few events accurately.

I don’t have anything against Nostradamus- I don’t know the man, but I never took any interest in his writings. I am only interested in prophecy that will lead me to a closer relationship with God. I’m a little turned off to prophecy that is delivered in a way that it glorifies the man and distracts attention from the One who can give me eternal life, and who can show me how I should live.

There’s an interesting story in Exodus. When Moses went to Pharaoh to ask him to set his people free, Moses gave evidence that he was a messenger from God, by dropping his wooden staff on the floor before Pharaoh, and the staff turned into a live snake. Pharaoh wasn’t impressed. He snapped his fingers and called his magicians, who tossed down their wooden staves, and those staves also turned into snakes. This little side show hardened Pharaoh’s resistance so that it took ten supernatural plagues from God before Pharaoh would finally listen.

God is not pleased with unauthorized prophets.

Jeremiah 23:21,22

I did not send these prophets, yet they have run with their message; I did not speak to them, yet they have prophesied. But if they had stood in my council, they would have proclaimed my words to my people and would have turned them from their evil ways and from their evil deeds.

My point is that there is so much inspiring beauty in Bible prophecy which can make us wise to follow God and receive salvation. But with clairvoyants like Nostradamus giving their famous predictions, it only distracts and gives people another excuse to reject salvation. Whether or not they are true isn’t the issue- the issue is the source of their inspiration.
Look what the cat dragged in.
nvalleyvee

Nostradamus

Post by nvalleyvee »

I think he had some sight. A prophet - no. There have been others out of the Christian faith. The years and names may have been off a little but I DO believe "N" was a seer. He was good at it too.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Bothwell

Nostradamus

Post by Bothwell »

No powers whatever, just broad enough stuff that could be interpereted any which way
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
gmc

Nostradamus

Post by gmc »

I've read them and came to much the same conclusion that they could be made to fit any event. Change a word here bend the meaning there. A prophecy that only looks like a prophecy after the event and the words have been reinterpreted is not a prophecy. The one about greater germany and hister is intriguing but one amongst so many means nothing.

There was another one that could be taken to refer to an event in new york but only after you choose to read it way after the event.

Always found the brahan seer interesting though, very local predictions

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/devout/brahan_seer.htm

As to bible prophecies, I think most of them are descriptions of natural events people were seeing without understanding what they were or exprssions of their own fears-plagues of insects and famine are hardly new phenomena nor is war and destruction, earthquake, volcanoes, climate change. The only remarkable thing is that people give them credence as being prophetic in the first place.

If you want to have visions yourself do without food and sleep long enough and you start having glorious technicolour dreams, there is also a range of mind altering drugs available that will have the same effect.

How about Hurricane katrina? Many have been predicting such an event for years does that make them seers? Big storm, city below sea level floods big surprise there. Same in India and South America, deforestation leads to massive floods many predicted these things as well having seen it happen in other countries. Build a house on a flood plain, what do you think is going to happen at some point, if your house floods is it your own stipidity that caused it or an act of god?

Why is it people prefer to ignore scientists, environmentalists etc even if their predictions come true yet are pleased to find some obscure nutter that "saw" the event before it happened but only realised later what it was and if only we had listened to him or her. Or manage to find in the bible a description of a similar event and take great delight in saying look! this has been predicted .

Next thing you know is there will be a call to for a return to godly ways to prevent it happening again.
Accountable

Nostradamus

Post by Accountable »

I prophesy that a controversial rebuttal will raise blood pressure.

:-6
chonsigirl

Nostradamus

Post by chonsigirl »

:yh_rotfl Accountable wrote: I prophesy that a controversial rebuttal will raise blood pressure.

:-6
Prophesy or philosophy, AC?
telaquapacky

Nostradamus

Post by telaquapacky »

gmc wrote: How about Hurricane katrina? Many have been predicting such an event for years does that make them seers?Leonardo Da Vinci, Jules Verne and H.G. Wells predicted things. They just thought ahead. The Louisianans should have done the same thing.

gmc wrote: Next thing you know is there will be a call to for a return to godly ways to prevent it happening again.You ain't lyin', Mac. And when they say that it's when the prisons fill up with good people.
Look what the cat dragged in.
Bez

Nostradamus

Post by Bez »

Bothwell wrote: No powers whatever, just broad enough stuff that could be interpereted any which way

Then why did he write it all Bothwell ?

He was a very clever person...skilled in mathematics, astrology, medicine. He studied latin, Greek and Hebrew. He wrote the worlds first medical directory.

Reading his biography, he seemed to be a well balanced and respected man. I doubt there was any financial gain although he did draw astrological horosopes for the children of Catherine de medici.

I find him a facinating character.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
gmc

Nostradamus

Post by gmc »

Why does anyone think they have an insight no one else as? He was carrying out research in all sorts of areas experimenting with drugs was just one of them. If you took something like lsd never having heard of it before some of the hallucinations would seem very real to someone who did not know enough to realise what was happening. for instance Nostradamus would probably have been aware of this stuff.

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/lsd/lsd1_text.htm

Ergot

Ergot of rye is produced by a lower fungus (Claviceps purpurea) that grows parasitically on rye and, to a lesser extent, on other species of grain and on wild grasses. Kernels infested with this fungus develop into light-brown to violet-brown curved pegs (sclerotia) that push forth from the husk in place of normal grains. Ergot of rye (Secale cornutum) is the variety used medicinally.

Ergot has a fascinating history. Once it was dreaded as a poison, but over the course of time it has become to be regarded as a rich storehouse of valuable medicines. Ergot was first mentioned in the early Middle Ages, as the cause of outbreaks of mass poisonings affecting thousands of persons at a time. The illness appeared in two characteristic forms, one gangrenous (ergotismus gangraenosus) and the other convulsive (ergotismus convulsivus). Popular names for ergotism - such as "mal des ardents", "ignis sacer", "heiliges Feuer" or "St. Anthony's fire" - refer to the gangrenous form of the disease. The patron saint of ergotism victims was St. Anthony, and it was primarily the Order of St. Anthony that treated these patients. Until quite recently, outbreaks of ergot poisoning approaching epidemic proportions were recorded in most European countries including certain areas of Russia. However, in the seventeenth century it was discovered that ergot-containing bread was the cause of the poisonings. This, coupled with progress in agriculture, caused the frequency and extent of ergotism epidemics to diminish considerably. The last great epidemic occurred in certain areas of southern Russia in the years 1926-27.

Ergot as a Medicine

The first mention of a medicinal use of ergot, as a drug to precipitate childbirth, is found in the notes of the Frankfurt city physician Adam Lonitzer in 1582. Although ergot had been used since olden times by midwives, it was not until 1808 that this drug gained entry into academic medicine. The use of ergot for these purposes did not last, however, since the uncertainty of dosage led to uterine spasms and dangers to the child.

The early 1930s brought a new era in ergot research, beginning with the determination of the chemical structure of the main chemically active agents, the ergot alkaloids. Finally, W. A. Jacobs and L.C. Craig of the Rockefeller Institute of New York succeeded in isolating and characterizing the nucleus common to all ergot alkaloids. They named it lysergic acid.

Is an hallucination just that or is it a vision? The answer depends on you level of knowledge and nowadays what you choose to believe.

You might also find the site below of interest.

http://www.ed-u.com/nostradamus.htm
Galbally

Nostradamus

Post by Galbally »

[QUOTE=Bez]Has anyone ever read the prophesies of Nostradamus ?

Do you think the prophsesies are true ?

Yes I have, and no I do not. Though he did say something about 1999, and that was Prince's best song, so fair play to him on that one.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Nostradamus

Post by Galbally »

[QUOTE=telaquapacky]Nostradamus undoubtedly had a supernatural source of information about the future. (REALLY? HOW DO YOU RECKON THAT THEN?) Besides this, he was a genius (WHAT A GENIUS LIKE NEWTON, OR A GENIUS LIKE THAT CLEVER BLOKE AT THE BOTTOM OF MY STREET?). His writings have fascinated readers for centuries (CERTAINLY, SO DOES THE NATIONAL ENQUIRER), and predicted quite a few events accurately (OH YEAH? LIKE WHICH ONES, EXACTLY?).

I don’t have anything against Nostradamus (THATS NICE)- I don’t know the man (NOT SURPRISING SEEING AS HES' ACTUALLY BEEN DEAD FOR 450 YEARS), but I never took any interest in his writings (SO WHY ARE YOU GOING ON ABOUT HIM?). I am only interested in prophecy that will lead me to a closer relationship with God. (O.K. I ACCEPT THAT POINT, BUT WHY ARE RELIGIOUS PREDICTIONS ALWAYS SO FLIPPIN VAGUE, WHY NOT GIVE US SOMETHING MORE USFUL LIKE: "IF I WERE YOU, I WOULDN'T VISIT THE WTC IN LOWER MANHATTAN, NYC, U.S.A., AFTER 9.00 AM, SEPT 11, 2001, BUT IF YOU HAVE TO, MAKE SURE AND BRING A FIRE JACKET AND A PARACHUTE"?) I’m a little turned off to prophecy that is delivered in a way that it glorifies the man and distracts attention from the One who can give me eternal life, and who can show me how I should live (RIGHT SO YOU DON'T LIKE PROPHESY, UNLESS IT VALIDATES WHAT YOU ALREADY BELIEVE IN ANYWAY? THATS BEING GULLIBLE AND NARROW MINDED AT THE SAME TIME, BRILLIANT!).

Don't get mad, I'm only having a laugh, I'm not knocking your belief in God, I actually think thats very admirable.

Really, don't be upset, it was just too much fun to pass up.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Nostradamus

Post by Galbally »

Bothwell wrote: No powers whatever, just broad enough stuff that could be interpereted any which way

Oh Bothwell, we need more people like you, there are just too many suckers on this planet for the species to make it past the next 1,000 years. Then again, maybe you just don't like him cause he was French?

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Nostradamus

Post by Galbally »

Always found the brahan seer interesting though, very local predictions

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/devout/brahan_seer.htm

I had a look at that, very intersting, but as usual completely anecdotal. I have to say as an Irishman that despite our better qualities, the Gaelic race are an awful bunch of chancers as well.

Why is it people prefer to ignore scientists, environmentalists etc even if their predictions come true yet are pleased to find some obscure nutter that "saw" the event before it happened but only realised later what it was and if only we had listened to him or her. Or manage to find in the bible a description of a similar event and take great delight in saying look! this has been predicted .

Next thing you know is there will be a call to for a return to godly ways to prevent it happening again.[/QUOTE]

You are of course absolutley right, the reason is that people are in general a bit, (well actually very) gullible, it used to annoy me, but now I'm seeing if its possible for me to make money out of it.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Nostradamus

Post by Galbally »

[QUOTE=Accountable]I prophesy that a controversial rebuttal will raise blood pressure.

Finally, a true prophet! Your not working for the dark side are you?

I prohesy that something that is in general an undersirable event will take place in a particular place at some stage. This will be a sign that God is very angry, and I will require some money (hard currency only, and no checks) to placate his angryness. I also have a vision in which 11 figures dressed in blue will hold aloft a sacred chalice at a place of worship in early summer. Oh wait, thats just Chelsea winning the Premiership.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Nostradamus

Post by Galbally »

[QUOTE=Bez]Then why did he write it all Bothwell ?

He was a very clever person...skilled in mathematics, astrology, medicine. He studied latin, Greek and Hebrew. He wrote the worlds first medical directory.

Reading his biography, he seemed to be a well balanced and respected man. I doubt there was any financial gain although he did draw astrological horosopes for the children of Catherine de medici.

I find him a facinating character.[/QUOTE]

I think he just did a few too many magic mushrooms and decided to have a laugh on everyone cause he was pissed off at getting old, and we fell for it hook line and sinker.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
downtown

Nostradamus

Post by downtown »

Nostradamus doesn't work for me. Sorry.
clearmind69

Nostradamus

Post by clearmind69 »

What a great guy Nostardamus was. He first opened my mind to the goings on in this period of history. There are truths to be found. The Golden Age awoke me to better days to come.

I found his book real interesting.

Prophesies are a good thing. They stir something deep within and alert to to the ways of life.

:-6 :-6 :-6 :-6
Carl44

Nostradamus

Post by Carl44 »

did he love Ezmeralda ,have a hunch and live up in the top and hate bells :-3

Return to “Ancient Wisdom”