All She Wanted to be Was Marilyn.

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Born Norma Jeane Mortenson known as Norma Jean Baker then Norma Jean Dougherty, Norma Jean DiMaggio & later Norma Jean Miller. Her gran, one Della Monroe Grainger, had her baptised Norma Jeane Baker by Aimee Semple McPherson no less and she changed her name to Marilyn Monroe on February 23, 1956,

But all she wanted to be was …. Marilyn.

She showed the skeletal-like so called “stars” of today that you can be very beautiful and extremely sexy even if your thighs touch. Her critics were of the mistaken opinion that Marilyn was big. Luckily many of the dresses she wore are still around plus one of her dressmakers knew her exact measurements.

Marilyn was 5 ft. 5.5 inches tall; her weight fluctuated throughout her life, obviously rising during times of depression and afterwards falling back to normal, but her dressmaker had her at 118 pounds and the tinsel town studios between 115 & 120 pounds;

35 inch bust; 22 inch waist which was about 2 to 3 inches less than the average woman of her time and about 22 inches less than today’s average; 35 inch hips and bra size of 36D. Simply purrfek!

In 1953 the eccentric 66 year old English poet Dame Edith Sitwell journeyed to Los Angeles to write an article on Hollywood. Edith was not a conventionally attractive woman or interested in modern fashions. Everyone expected the two women to instantly dislike each other but instead they immediately hit it off.

Edith described Marilyn like this in her autobiography Taken Care Of:

“In repose her face was at moments strangely, prophetically tragic, like the face of a beautiful ghost – a little spring-ghost, an innocent fertility daemon, and the vegetation spirit that was Ophelia.”

Film critic Pauline Kael: Her mixture of wide-eyed wonder and cuddly drugged sexiness seemed to get to just about every male; she turned on even homosexual men. And women couldn't take her seriously enough to be indignant; she was funny and impulsive in a way that made people feel protective. She was a little knocked out; her face looked as if, when nobody was paying attention to her, it would go utterly slack -- as if she died between wolf calls.

• Biographer Louis Banner: She is the child in all of us, the child we want to forget but can't dismiss. We want to know what would have happened to her if she had lived longer.

• Biographer Gloria Steinem: I remember her on the screen, huge as a colossus doll, mincing and whispering and simply hoping her way into total vulnerability.

• Biographer Gloria Steinem: A student, lawyer, teacher, artist, mother, grandmother, defender of animals, rancher, homemaker, sportswoman, rescuer of children--all these are futures we can imagine for Norma Jeane. . . . One also can imagine the whole woman who was both Norma Jeane and Marilyn becoming a serious actress and wise comedienne who would still be working in her sixties, with more productive years to come.

• From the eulogy by Lee Strasberg: She had a luminous quality -- a combination of wistfulness, radiance, yearning, that set her apart and yet made everyone wish to be part of it, to share in the childlike naïveté which was at once so shy and yet so vibrant.

• Also from Lee Strasberg's eulogy: Marilyn Monroe was a legend. In her lifetime she created a myth of what a poor girl from a deprived background could attain. For the entire world she became a symbol of the eternal feminine.

Here are a few of my gazillion favorite images of Marilyn.

"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

And she was fantastic at it!
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I think you will enjoy this link, JJ.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/9- ... hur-miller
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

along-for-the-ride;1453380 wrote: I think you will enjoy this link, JJ.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/9- ... hur-miller

Awesome! Thanks hun ...
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”