XP Support

Bruv

XP Support

Post by Bruv »

Microsoft have got it made, they dominate the market and keep making their products redundant while introducing new products to test on the public.

If your clever enough Governments pay for your help beyond the deadline.

UK Government

Dutch Government
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bryn Mawr

XP Support

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1451366 wrote: Microsoft have got it made, they dominate the market and keep making their products redundant while introducing new products to test on the public.

If your clever enough Governments pay for your help beyond the deadline.

UK Government

Dutch Government

Much as I dislike Micro$oft they're not to blame in this instance.

Everyone's had years of notice and plenty of time to prepare. OK, I can see that they'd hold off during the time of troubles (aka Vista) but they could have moved to W7 any time after about the first year and it should not have taken them this long to move.
LarsMac

XP Support

Post by LarsMac »

You are right. I know my company's IT department didn't roll out Win 7 until last year. Several of my big customers are still using XP for their employees' internal systems. One is actually looking at skipping straight to Windows 8. The learning curve for users will be painful, but will probably save them money in the long run.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

XP Support

Post by Bruv »

I wasn't specifically laying blame, just commenting on the facts.

All the ATM's in the world use Microsoft too I understand, some Banks have made deals.

No wonder old Bill is the richest man in the world, all done without oil.
Wandrin

XP Support

Post by Wandrin »

It is scary to think of all of the ATM systems and others running XP (or any other form of Windows). Did they not have anyone on the tech staff who could have recommended a better platform?
Bruv

XP Support

Post by Bruv »

Wandrin;1451505 wrote: It is scary to think of all of the ATM systems and others running XP (or any other form of Windows). Did they not have anyone on the tech staff who could have recommended a better platform?

That I suppose is my point, the dependancy of much of the world on one single company's product.............frightening, and very enriching.
gmc

XP Support

Post by gmc »

Apparently windows 8 is not available for download in my country. Looks like i will finally get round to using linux instead of tinkering with the idea.
Bruv

XP Support

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1451570 wrote: Apparently windows 8 is not available for download in my country. Looks like i will finally get round to using linux instead of tinkering with the idea.
We all thought you was on it a while ago.

It is not that daunting, there is a learning curve, but nothing a half intelligent person can't handle........I did it.
LarsMac

XP Support

Post by LarsMac »

A properly maintained XP system is as secure as any other.

And most of the ATM machines are on internal networks within the banking systems.

The security problems are usually through illegal access to the customer-facing hardware. (Card data interceptors installed on the card readers, or people breaking into the cabinets and accessing the USB ports, and things of that sort.)
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

XP Support

Post by YZGI »

LarsMac;1451575 wrote: A properly maintained XP system is as secure as any other.

And most of the ATM machines are on internal networks within the banking systems.

The security problems are usually through illegal access to the customer-facing hardware. (Card data interceptors installed on the card readers, or people breaking into the cabinets and accessing the USB ports, and things of that sort.)

The comp my wife does the buisness books on in XP. Do you think it needs replaced?I don't even know if it could handle another OS such as Windows 7 or 8.
Bryn Mawr

XP Support

Post by Bryn Mawr »

YZGI;1451579 wrote: The comp my wife does the buisness books on in XP. Do you think it needs replaced?I don't even know if it could handle another OS such as Windows 7 or 8.

Is it a stand-alone machine or does it have internet access?
gmc

XP Support

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1451571 wrote: We all thought you was on it a while ago.

It is not that daunting, there is a learning curve, but nothing a half intelligent person can't handle........I did it.

I have another computer that has widows 8 on it that I was using for a while, the video card seems to have failed and I haven't got around to getting it fixed. Meanwhile ny xp machine is showing signs of wanting to die so once I get the other one fixed I will be putting linux on the older one for experimentation. I'm going to have a go at building my own linux machine I just need the money and time neither of which I have a lot of just now.
Bruv

XP Support

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1451597 wrote: I have another computer that has widows 8 on it that I was using for a while, the video card seems to have failed and I haven't got around to getting it fixed. Meanwhile ny xp machine is showing signs of wanting to die so once I get the other one fixed I will be putting linux on the older one for experimentation. I'm going to have a go at building my own linux machine I just need the money and time neither of which I have a lot of just now.

Building from scratch? Depending how confident you feel........don't do it!!!!!

Or maybe thats just me being over cautious.

Better to get a Bare Bones, you will need to find out more yourself, all I know is I got one and it needs a few bit extra parts to work, such as a hard drive and operating system. Try Novatech....no link so I should get away with that.

Most components just click in, so no worries there as long as they are compatible and you get them from the same supplier.

Video cards,if that is the problem, are easily changeable, if you know what you are looking for.

But don't wait to try Linux, download a Live version, they run from a CD or DVD without altering or installing anything on your machine, they are slower than fully installed versions, and if you like it there is the option to install.
LarsMac

XP Support

Post by LarsMac »

YZGI;1451579 wrote: The comp my wife does the buisness books on in XP. Do you think it needs replaced?I don't even know if it could handle another OS such as Windows 7 or 8.

With a decent router, and limiting the internet access, it will be OK.

My XP machine sits behind a D-Link 655 router that connect to my ISPs router. The PC internal Firewall, and both routers have all ports blocked for incoming traffic.

I would have to go hunting for bugs to get one.

Here is a site that can give you some good info on security. https://www.grc.com/intro.htm

Follow the "Shields Up" link
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

XP Support

Post by YZGI »

Bryn Mawr;1451583 wrote: Is it a stand-alone machine or does it have internet access?

Yes AT&T 2wire router, It is a Dell desk top that is only used for business bookkeeping

LarsMac;1451606 wrote: With a decent router, and limiting the internet access, it will be OK.

My XP machine sits behind a D-Link 655 router that connect to my ISPs router. The PC internal Firewall, and both routers have all ports blocked for incoming traffic.

I would have to go hunting for bugs to get one.

Here is a site that can give you some good info on security. https://www.grc.com/intro.htm

Follow the "Shields Up" link
Thanks, I'll have a look.
LarsMac

XP Support

Post by LarsMac »

YZGI;1451609 wrote: Yes AT&T 2wire router, It is a Dell desk top that is only used for business bookkeeping

Thanks, I'll have a look.

The 2Wire can be configured to disallow any inbound requests to any port. Also disable Upnp, if it is not already disabled.

That will prevent almost any hunters from finding your PC.

A secondary router behind the 2WIRE will protect you even more, but just good common sense about where you browse is the key.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

XP Support

Post by YZGI »

LarsMac;1451613 wrote: The 2Wire can be configured to disallow any inbound requests to any port. Also disable Upnp, if it is not already disabled.

That will prevent almost any hunters from finding your PC.

A secondary router behind the 2WIRE will protect you even more, but just good common sense about where you browse is the key.
Thanks, the only thing she does on the internet is pay our quarterly taxes and similar things.
gmc

XP Support

Post by gmc »

I've been trying linux using cd from linux magazines, like what i see. Maplin do a self build kit type of thing I was thinking about something like that. I really donlt know what i am doing but it's the only way to learn.
Bruv

XP Support

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1451637 wrote: I've been trying linux using cd from linux magazines, like what i see. Maplin do a self build kit type of thing I was thinking about something like that. I really donlt know what i am doing but it's the only way to learn.

Life is far too short to learn, begging your pardon (at your age) how to cobble together a PC. Unless you like scratching your head.

A Bare Bones is built but but missing Operating system,which you wouldn't need, a Hard drive and something else that I have forgotten
Tuxr99

XP Support

Post by Tuxr99 »

Bruv;1451513 wrote: That I suppose is my point, the dependancy of much of the world on one single company's product.............frightening, and very enriching.

Which is why I don't use ATM's, windows, or macs. Linux is 100% virus free as long as you download things from the official repositories. I've had enough of windows BS.
Open Source/Open Mind
Tuxr99

XP Support

Post by Tuxr99 »

gmc;1451637 wrote: I've been trying linux using cd from linux magazines, like what i see. Maplin do a self build kit type of thing I was thinking about something like that. I really donlt know what i am doing but it's the only way to learn.

I didn't know squat back in '98 after I got my first pc. Since then, I tried linux back in '93, and later started my own pc repair business, use linux almost exclusively, and now into mobile devices. I just studied my butt off for A LOT of hours and did it. Do some serious research.
Open Source/Open Mind
FourPart

XP Support

Post by FourPart »

Personally I always found XP to be an excellent system.

Ironically it's probably more secure now than ever before for the same reason that Apple & Linux claim to be more secure. It's not that, as they claim, the systems are too good to be broken into. That's just downright complacent, but the fact that the cyber vandals who think it's clever to write their viruses want to aim for the biggest target, thus causing the most damage, and the biggest target is indisputably Microsoft, as Windows is the world's leading OS software (and with good cause).

Other Operating Systems are more 'secure' because the Cyber Vandals couldn't be bothered to waste their time on them. It's not that they can't - they most certainly can. They just just couldn't be bothered. In this way it wouldn't surprise me if legacy OS packs are now more secure for exactly the same reason. After all, why target XP when so many more people are using W8?
Týr

XP Support

Post by Týr »

The same argument would apply to Windows 2000, or better yet Windows 98se. It's not just the security patching which hasn't happened in those releases though, it's protocols for Internet handling and the big outside world. You can't run today's browser on them because the APIs have changed so much, so you have to run a browser version which has no knowledge of laying out current web standards. I've tried it, just to see, and it's scary out there on an obsolete system. At an extreme, like running Mosaic, it can't stand up at all.

Those systems are perfect for running in their own environment but they are incapable of reliably surviving exposure to a live WAN connection.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!

Return to “Computers Internet”