How important to you are lyrics when listening to a song?

Discuss, review, inquire about song lyrics
jormlet

Post by jormlet »

Hi friends, I'm new in this forum, I'm very happy to be here. I hope we will share interesting things here, I just wanna know, how important to you are lyrics when listening to a song?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

jormlet;1391231 wrote: Hi friends, I'm new in this forum, I'm very happy to be here. I hope we will share interesting things here, I just wanna know, how important to you are lyrics when listening to a song?

Very, without meaningful lyrics a song is just noise.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

jormlet;1391231 wrote: Hi friends, I'm new in this forum, I'm very happy to be here. I hope we will share interesting things here, I just wanna know, how important to you are lyrics when listening to a song?

It depends what sort of song they are to be fair, some not at all and some all important
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

The words are important. It's even more important that the listener be left to interpret for themselves, what those words mean.

IMO that is what causes us to make a song 'ours'.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

All I have to say is..Coo cooky choo
tabby

Post by tabby »

To me, it's all about the rhythm, beat and pace. The lyrics themselves are secondary!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

YZGI;1391253 wrote: All I have to say is..Coo cooky choo

Wam alanga ding dong.....must have passed you by then.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

The music is most important, than the lyrics.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Bryn Mawr;1391238 wrote: Very, without meaningful lyrics a song is just noise.

I beg to differ-----------The theme from Lawrence of Arabia---Dr. Zhivago----Zorba the Greek etc. etc. great music without lyrics.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lon;1391281 wrote: I beg to differ-----------The theme from Lawrence of Arabia---Dr. Zhivago----Zorba the Greek etc. etc. great music without lyrics.

There is wonderful music without words, there is even wonderful music that uses the human voice as an instrument but to be a great song the lyrics are all important.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Bryn Mawr;1391283 wrote: There is wonderful music without words, there is even wonderful music that uses the human voice as an instrument but to be a great song the lyrics are all important.

You are so right -----there is a difference between a song & music and a good song requires good lyrics.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lon;1391286 wrote: You are so right -----there is a difference between a song & music and a good song requires good lyrics.

Pedantic I know but I do see them as different pleasures - you have music and you have poetry with song combining the two
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

First jormlet....Welcome to FG.:)

I listen to lyrics but unless the tune grabs my attention the lyrics don't mean much...there has to be a combination.

are you a song writer, a musician or both?

Lady J
Gaultjerry36

Post by Gaultjerry36 »

hi there i'm new in this site.. its good to be here with you guys..

i love music it complete my days when i'm at work or in the house.. lyrics is just a secondary to the song..music is important cause you can still feel the rhythm even without knowing the lyrics, if you would love to hear it...

but for me really is both.. must good if there is a lyrics,..
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1391238 wrote: Very, without meaningful lyrics a song is just noise.I disagree...I have a hard time understanding the lyrics in choral music but I find it incredibly soothing...

Perhaps it's my inexperience and perhaps I can grow to appreciate choral music more but that doesn't mean that I do not enjoy it...

On the flip side, here's an event I'll be attending with my fiance, daughter, and some friends...Exhibition - Math Midway - Boonshoft Museum Of Discovery, Dayton, OH 04-14-2012 09:00am - AmericanTowns.com I suppose knowing the lyrics to such music is essential otherwise it probably will seem like "noise"...:yh_rotfl
gmc

Post by gmc »

I take it you are not an opera fan then. There is a lot of opera when you see the lyrics I wish I hadn't bothered. On the other hand there are some pieces where knowing the lyrics can distract quite considerably.

Then there are others where the lyrics are really incomprehensible.:thinking::sneaky:

Welsh National Anthem + lyrics - YouTube

But you can still sense the meaning.

must confess I thought this was the welsh anthem.

Men of Harlech - YouTube
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1391358 wrote: I take it you are not an opera fan then. There is a lot of opera when you see the lyrics I wish I hadn't bothered. On the other hand there are some pieces where knowing the lyrics can distract quite considerably.

Then there are others where the lyrics are really incomprehensible.:thinking::sneaky:

Welsh National Anthem + lyrics - YouTube

But you can still sense the meaning.

must confess I thought this was the welsh anthem.

Men of Harlech - YouTube

No fan of Opera at all - far to stylised for my taste.

As for Land of My Father's, that stirring music that is, whatever language it might be sung in.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Trust the welsh to take rifles to a karaoke contest.

Zulu Men of Harlech & Welsh anthem - YouTube

I would put it to you the lyrics are almost irrelevant in a large number of cases and sometimes understanding them can really put you off. to not listen to something because you don't understand the language means you miss out on a lot. I like opera in small doses much of it is incredibly boring. I can't stand rap music very much and that's where, arguably, it's the words that matter most.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1391387 wrote:

I like opera in small doses much of it is incredibly boring. I can't stand rap music very much and that's where, arguably, it's the words that matter most.

But you can probably understand the opera more than some crap....I mean rap
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bruv;1391398 wrote: But you can probably understand the opera more than some crap....I mean rap

Uh oh, I see Operap in our future.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1391398 wrote: But you can probably understand the opera more than some crap....I mean rap

True because the emotion is in the music and can put it over better than words can, I can't stand modern jazz either but then maybe itls like rap in that if I spent some time trying t understand it I might appreciate it more.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

If you need to understand it to appreciate it..............it's not doing what it's supposed to do.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Maybe I'm strange but I use a different part of my brain when listening to the underlying music than I do when listening to the lyrics. There are some songs that I have liked and later taken the time to closely listen to the lyrics and then was very disappointed. And then there are the songs that are catchy tunes with completely inane lyrics.
gmc

Post by gmc »

All together now one two three four --

The Chicken Song - Spitting Image - YouTube

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Hello jormlet! Enjoy your visits with us.

If you are talking about a song per say......lyrics are very important. The words along with the music that accompany it set the mood and send the messege. But there is indeed music that is beautiful without words.

Here's a welcome mat for you.................

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I listen to the overall hooks, I like a nice melody best, I think. But I'll say this...I despise music where I can't understand the lyrics at all.
ohsnapitstez

Post by ohsnapitstez »

I think that lyrics count...to an extent. I mean, if I listen to the radio, obviously I'm not expecting Aristotle or the Divine Comedy, but sometimes I demand something that makes me think. Like, I really love songs that tell a story, but only enough so that I have to formulate my own conclusion. For example "Hank Williams Sr. -Alone and Forsaken". And I'm not even a country music fan.
For more insights in the world of me, please visit [Link removed by Moderator]. Its supercool.
Vaishali

Post by Vaishali »

Lyrics are very important to me. Some beautiful lyrics can create wonders to it's fans. I specially notice lyrics of the songs while listening of any song.
jessicascott

Post by jessicascott »

Hi jormlet, i feel lyrics are equally important like music when you are listning to something. music gives us joy whereas lyrics gives feeling to that thing.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Well, some lyrics just catch me and really make the song better. Especially a lot of lyrics from 1970s songs, since they are easier for me to understand. But usually, I like a song for it's melody and beat, even if the lyrics don't make a lot of sense to me.

One thing though...I don't stand for any lyrics that contain profanity or blasphemy. The world's got enough trouble already and that's not what I listen to music for.
phiferindia

Post by phiferindia »

Very, without meaningful lyrics a song is just noise. Ha ha yes of course, i am just imagining without music how the lyrics will be.
Environment friendly [link removed do not put it back] from phiferindia
Youlthad

Post by Youlthad »

Lyrics are the one who inspire us.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Lyrics are important but even with my state of the art hearing aids I am profoundly deaf, making it difficult to even hear the music let alone lyrics. You hearing ünimpaired are fortunate. :guitarist
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Bryn, have you ever listened to the Cocteau Twins ?

Apart from having one of the most beautiful voices, Elizabeth Frazer uses what some might describe as glossolalia. Her lyrics make no sense in themselves but her vocalisations are constructed to fit with the music rather than stand independently. The results are outstanding and despite the random words, it still has an enormous emotional effect
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snowfire;1449980 wrote: Bryn, have you ever listened to the Cocteau Twins ?

Apart from having one of the most beautiful voices, Elizabeth Frazer uses what some might describe as glossolalia. Her lyrics make no sense in themselves but her vocalisations are constructed to fit with the music rather than stand independently. The results are outstanding and despite the random words, it still has an enormous emotional effect

Not a group I'd come across before so I've just sampled a few tracks - interesting.

Personally I'd call them instrumentals and say she's using her voice as another instrument. As with all instrumentals it can have an enormous emotional effect and be beautiful musically but it would rarely have the lasting impact on me that a great song can.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

To me, the word 'song' implies poetry set to music.

When listening to a song, then, I focus on the lyrics.

If I cannot make out the words, it's just noise with rhythm.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Two examples, if I may, of Elizabeth Frazer. The lyrics may not make literal sense but it doesn't detract at all to the beauty of the music.

Although I'm not a particular fan of Opera music, I don't see the necessity in being fluent in Italian to enjoy the musicality of, say, La traviata

Just my two penn'orth.

Winston Churchill
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Agree. There is a line between Lyrics in a song, and voice as music.

Joan Baez can sing in any language, and I will listen with pleasure.

Bob Dylan, on the other hand, unless he has something to say, I'd rather hear Joan Baez.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I have to say, that while Dylan is a wonderful songwriter, his singing voice leaves me cold a lot of the time. Not to say that the voice needs to be impeccably tonal because I enjoy Tom Waites' voice and thats about as tonally accurate as my 9" grinder.

It's odd how different aspects of music reach us, or not. As long as we have a love of music, that's what counts. I feel very sorry for those very few people who don't find a connection with music of any sort. I knew such a person once. While a brilliant mind, it moved in mysterious ways. He also preferred the smell of cigarettes to oranges, which indicated to me that the buttons being pressed in his brain were completely different to the ones being pressed in mine.

I cannot be away from music for any length of time at all and am lucky enough to still find my buttons being pressed

Winston Churchill
DarrylC1

Post by DarrylC1 »

Lyrics of course is one of the most important part of music.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Nearly all of my works begin as poems. I then either read them aloud, or think them through, as if reading them aloud in my mind, if you get what I mean, exaggerating the intonation of each word & emphasising the meaning / emotion behind the words. In this way it often forms a natural musical timbre, which I first write as a basic melody, then work on the harmonies. In this way the feeling of the music is pre-built into it.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

At the time I made the previous posting I had a brief idea of some words & am in the process of setting it to music.

So far I've finished the vocal harmonies. Now I need to start on the accompaniment.

This is the work in progress (with the words, in case you can't make them out).

Sylvie Flatfoot

When Sylvie Flatfoot waddled in the brae the boys all gave her the eye.

But she knew that the boys would never stay, And that they soon would fly.

But Sylvie Flatfoot wiggles her behind at Drakes who'd all have their will,

Then Sylvie Flatfoot ever so refined, presents them with her bill.

"Father to your Ducklings, you must surely pay",

Sylvie Flatfoot, she cries.

"Have your bread and eat it never was the way".

But the Drake, he replies:

"Oh Sylvie Flatfoot can't catch me that way, for as is plain to be seen,

These fluffy balls are yellow through and through,

And I'm Majesticly green.

The Ducklings cannot possibly be mine, The Father is not me.

Oh, Sylvie Flatfoot, you always had designs on Colin the Canary."

"Enough of your lies."

But still the Drake denied his faithful bride, and flew into the skies.

Now Sylvie Flatfoot leads her train alone, and teaches them right from wrong.

"Dear Children never from the path shall stray, If you just heed my song. .

Good Ducklings should always faithful be, with Ducklings of your own,

Then Sylvie Flatfoot, Granny to them all, her moral seeds hath sown.

"Trust and truth will rise.

Show your little Ducklings.

Show them in your ways,

And Love will be your prize.

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I find that lyrics often find me... the lyrics seem to match a life experience that I am In the middle of. Bizzarly, my boys The Stranglers had this riding high right In the middle of my trial,

I dedicate this song to my arresting officer,

Stranglers - Lies and Deception - YouTube
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1391423 wrote: All together now one two three four --

The Chicken Song - Spitting Image - YouTube

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

It's late, going to bed soon. Really didn't need to hear that.

It was Saint who wrote post #40, the internet re-enforced this lesson, that things cannot be unread, unlearned, or unseen.. .

I have a feeling that little ditty will come to me sometime tonight.

Thanks buddy.:thinking:
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
DarrylC1

Post by DarrylC1 »

FourPart;1465860 wrote: In this way it often forms a natural musical timbre, which I first write as a basic melody, then work on the harmonies. In this way the feeling of the music is pre-built into it.

This is the hardest part for me, creating melodies the matching it with the lyric I have created.
Matt50

Post by Matt50 »

Lyrics expresses my feelings. My mood often depends to the music I hear. Music helps a lot to motivate me.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Even with my state of the art hearing aids I can't enjoy lyrics and even the music itself is distorted. Loud music is the cause of my severe hearing loss.
MaskReedy

Post by MaskReedy »

Lyrics is one thing that connects me to a song. Its the ingredients of the song why you like it.
ecyor12

Post by ecyor12 »

hello everyone! its up to the lyrics of the song. For me i love so much the love songs, because it can be relaxing specially when im thinking too much im just listening a music much. that's why i am a music lover.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

My latest piece is, as yet, without lyric. I know what I want the song to portray, but I've not yet been able to come up with the inspiration for the words.

Return to “Song Lyrics”