House/Homes Forums

Youlthad
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:37 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by Youlthad »

A forums just for someone who's selling or looking for homes/houses.
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I am supposing this is the "knowledge" you want to share with "us" guys. Thanks, but no thanks.
User avatar
LarsMac
Posts: 13066
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Far Out, Man

House/Homes Forums

Post by LarsMac »

Sorry, but Forum Garden is not a Marketplace.
Control is an illusion. The Chaos is all part of the fun.
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir
User avatar
Týr
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

Though, to be fair, I am in need of a home. Well, not need as such, not precisely, but I expect I'll be finding somewhere in the next few weeks. On the other hand I'd not be expecting to find one on ForumGarden.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
FG
Posts: 957
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:35 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by FG »

Youlthad;1449859 wrote: A forums just for someone who's selling or looking for homes/houses.


Oh - and while we're at it, don't use a VPN or Proxy to access this site or we'll ban you.

as in:meta name="description" content="Provides Anonymous VPN services with high speed, unlimited bandwidth, in multiple geo-locations. Protect privacy, secure all Internet traffic - stay safe! Sign-up now for 7 days free trial."

meta name="keywords" content="vpn provider, vpn service, fast vpn, personal vpn, best vpn, best vpn provider, best vpn service, Plug-and-play VPN,personal, Business, OpenVPN GUI client software for Linux, Macintosh and Windows, iPhone VPN, iPad VPN, VPN for China, VPN for Facebook, VPN for expats, hide my ip address, unblock websites, unblock filter, youtube proxy, myspace proxy, facebook proxy, facebook proxy, face book, facebook.com proxy, vpn tunnel, openvpn, pptp, vpn encryption, cisco ipsec, anonymous, anonymity, bittorrent, p2p, media streaming, web surfing"

The Best VPN for P2P/BitTorrent, Media Streaming, Web Surfing - Sign-up now for 7 days free trial


☎|||||||||||

Who has a spare two minutes a day to play in this month's FG Trivia game!



Your satisfactory is our goals
User avatar
G#Gill
Posts: 14751
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:09 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by G#Gill »

From what I have read in this thread, Youlthad, if I was you I would bog off to another forum and leave Forum Garden alone ! :wah:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
User avatar
Týr
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

Tut, Gill. He's posted a thread which wouldn't have otherwise existed. It's given me a chance to discuss moving house. The one I'm moving from went onto Zoopla today.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Why are you moving? Didn't you do a lot of recent renovation?
User avatar
Týr
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

AnneBoleyn;1450016 wrote: Why are you moving? Didn't you do a lot of recent renovation?


I believe it's called downsizing. I have no reason at all to stay here, it's more suited to someone with a growing family.

There was some adjustment to the decor, and a few coping stones were re-bedded on the roof to get the house ready to sell.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Ahhh, you showed some pics of that lovely home. Good luck finding a new place to hang your hat.
User avatar
G#Gill
Posts: 14751
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:09 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by G#Gill »

Týr;1450021 wrote: I believe it's called downsizing. I have no reason at all to stay here, it's more suited to someone with a growing family.

There was some adjustment to the decor, and a few coping stones were re-bedded on the roof to get the house ready to sell.


Good luck from me, with your move too. Will you be staying in the county where you are at present, or are you moving elsewhere in the country ? I hope you get the price you want for your house, and I hope you can sell fairly quickly - it does look a nice area. Gawd you've got a lot of computer stuff to pack away for the move ! That's the worst part about moving - all the damn packing up into boxes etc. ! Hours and hours of hard graft, so I hope you have somebody who can help out a bit.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
User avatar
Týr
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

Five laptops, four external hard drives, three scanners, two routers, one printer and a selection of cables. It all goes into a single IKEA plastic crate with a lid on it except for two of the scanners and the printer which is, how shall we say, robust and goes by the name of LJ4+. I have a distressing amount of unarchived paperwork to carry with me too.

Whether I stay in the City and County of Bristol I'm not sure. I did think of Grimsby near the harbour, I quite like the look of it on StreetView. Or Whitehaven, I like coasts and it's near the Lake District and some of my ancestry is focused there. Or Burnley where I went to school.

I'll aim to leave town in a small van, the last thing I want is to take everything with me. I'll keep the china.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15987
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Týr;1450032 wrote: Five laptops, four external hard drives, three scanners, two routers, one printer and a selection of cables. It all goes into a single IKEA plastic crate with a lid on it except for two of the scanners and the printer which is, how shall we say, robust and goes by the name of LJ4+. I have a distressing amount of unarchived paperwork to carry with me too.

Whether I stay in the City and County of Bristol I'm not sure. I did think of Grimsby near the harbour, I quite like the look of it on StreetView. Or Whitehaven, I like coasts and it's near the Lake District and some of my ancestry is focused there. Or Burnley where I went to school.

I'll aim to leave town in a small van, the last thing I want is to take everything with me. I'll keep the china.


And maybe a book or two?
User avatar
Týr
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

Bryn Mawr;1450033 wrote: And maybe a book or two?


If I could re-buy them as e-books I'd find them a lot easier to cart around with me!
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15987
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Týr;1450034 wrote: If I could re-buy them as e-books I'd find them a lot easier to cart around with me!


Project Guttenburg is your friend - you'd be amazed at what you can find on there.
User avatar
G#Gill
Posts: 14751
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:09 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by G#Gill »

Won't you be taking any furniture or appliances with you ? Mind you I sympathise with you taking minimum stuff. I think if I was able to up sticks and bugger off to a new abode and just take special items that I could get into a box van, I'd jolly well do that and feel quite happy to leave the furniture where it is (except for a couple of antique items).

I've just had a peek at the pictures, on that site, of your home. What a gorgeous place, and a gorgeous kitchen ! I'm sure any prospective purchasers will be most taken with the place ! A shame you feel you have to downsize.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Youlthad
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:37 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by Youlthad »

Sincerely sorry for my post. But i'm just "asking" only.
FG
Posts: 957
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:35 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by FG »

Youlthad;1450132 wrote: Sincerely sorry for my post. But i'm just "asking" only.


The VPN raised a few hackles, this site has a long and unfortunate history of being duped by tricksters through the use of IP disguises.


☎|||||||||||

Who has a spare two minutes a day to play in this month's FG Trivia game!



Your satisfactory is our goals
FG
Posts: 957
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:35 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by FG »

G#Gill;1450039 wrote: Won't you be taking any furniture or appliances with you ? Mind you I sympathise with you taking minimum stuff.
I don't see the point, to be honest. Wherever I move is going to present different needs than the house I brought my children up in.

The sign at the gate now reads "Sold subject to contract", having arrived eight days ago. I've added a few photos to bring the album up to date. I'll do another album if I decorate wherever I end up.


☎|||||||||||

Who has a spare two minutes a day to play in this month's FG Trivia game!



Your satisfactory is our goals
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Youlthad;1449859 wrote: A forums just for someone who's selling or looking for homes/houses. Out of genuine Interest, do you deal with auctions to buy houses for renovation ?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
G#Gill
Posts: 14751
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:09 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by G#Gill »

FG;1450510 wrote: I don't see the point, to be honest. Wherever I move is going to present different needs than the house I brought my children up in.

The sign at the gate now reads "Sold subject to contract", having arrived eight days ago. I've added a few photos to bring the album up to date. I'll do another album if I decorate wherever I end up.


Actually, I look forward to that ! The house you are leaving is certainly very attractive and beautifully decorated. If I had the money, I would be tempted !

I take it, from what you've said, that you will leave most of the furniture, curtains etc. for the purchaser ?

By the way, how will you be able to log on to the internet if you have no roof over your head till you find a suitable place ? That certainly is a worrying thought not having FG online for however long !!! How can we survive without you ? Sorry I just have to include a 'smiley' :lips: (Lips R sealed)

Also by the way, I realise that you just want to get as far away as you can from Oscar, and it has nothing to do with 'down-sizing' at all !!!! (big grin)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
FG
Posts: 957
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:35 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by FG »

G#Gill;1450527 wrote: I take it, from what you've said, that you will leave most of the furniture, curtains etc. for the purchaser ?

By the way, how will you be able to log on to the internet if you have no roof over your head till you find a suitable place ?


I imagine the children will find a better use for the stuff than I would, they have their own houses to kit out.

I can log in from anywhere that gives me a mobile phone signal, it's called tethering. Finding a roof is never a problem.


☎|||||||||||

Who has a spare two minutes a day to play in this month's FG Trivia game!



Your satisfactory is our goals
User avatar
Týr
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

As an update for those following the plot, I've had my offer accepted on a place in a town further along the South-West coast and I'm expecting to relocate there toward the end of June.

What started as an exercise in efficient downsizing has unexpectedly screwed up, I will now have rather more floorspace than in Bristol. I'll buy a book on party-planning, or How to Socialize for Beginners. Items I'd never expected to need now loom on my horizon, not least one of those heavyweight floor-polishers with three rotating heads for the hundred-year-old herringbone wood floor.

Each time I move house I seem to end up with higher ceilings. Photos will follow after I've moved in but for the moment you're stuck with verbal descriptions.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Sounds wonderful. Best of luck. Seems like you have room for visitors. ;-)
User avatar
Týr
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

AnneBoleyn;1453028 wrote: Sounds wonderful. Best of luck. Seems like you have room for visitors. ;-)


I may have to buy a bed first.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Týr;1453029 wrote: I may have to buy a bed first.


More than one.
User avatar
Týr
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

AnneBoleyn;1453034 wrote: More than one.


Pah. Spoilsport.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Týr;1453036 wrote: Pah. Spoilsport.
I wouldn't want you to think that.
User avatar
Týr
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

According to Google Earth it's 700 yards from the local harbour. If I borrow a dinghy I could try to remember how to sail one but it's been a long time.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
User avatar
LarsMac
Posts: 13066
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Far Out, Man

House/Homes Forums

Post by LarsMac »

Týr;1453064 wrote: According to Google Earth it's 700 yards from the local harbour. If I borrow a dinghy I could try to remember how to sail one but it's been a long time.


Sailing is like riding a bicycle. It'll come back.

Just remember to sit on the windward side, and duck while coming about. (trust me on that)
Control is an illusion. The Chaos is all part of the fun.
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Týr;1453064 wrote: According to Google Earth it's 700 yards from the local harbour. If I borrow a dinghy I could try to remember how to sail one but it's been a long time.


I'm even less distant from my local harbor. Think your dinghy can make it over the Atlantic?
User avatar
Týr
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

AnneBoleyn;1453075 wrote: I'm even less distant from my local harbor. Think your dinghy can make it over the Atlantic?I'm sure the dinghy might, but I doubt whether I could. The most I've managed single-handed is Hughtown to Tresco and back in a Wayfarer. The notion of packing a year's supplies and battling into the Westerlies for several months has never crossed my mind. Besides, I'm not adept at rowing.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
User avatar
Týr
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

I have been boxing paperwork and kitchenware on and off today. The removal van arrives on Thursday morning. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that I dislike packing but at least I had the sense last month to give away or throw out all the stuff that's not moving with me, so it's not in the way or distracting.

How on earth am I meant to box up a laserjet printer? Or loudspeakers?
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
User avatar
LarsMac
Posts: 13066
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Far Out, Man

House/Homes Forums

Post by LarsMac »

Týr;1456971 wrote: I have been boxing paperwork and kitchenware on and off today. The removal van arrives on Thursday morning. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that I dislike packing but at least I had the sense last month to give away or throw out all the stuff that's not moving with me, so it's not in the way or distracting.

How on earth am I meant to box up a laserjet printer? Or loudspeakers?


Very carefully.
Control is an illusion. The Chaos is all part of the fun.
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir
User avatar
Týr
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

This is my final house-move, seriously. I don't remember the last one being this much effort. Admittedly I had help then but even so. What twerp invented stairs in the first place, that's what I want to know. Mankind was designed for communal bungalows. I'm appalled at how many boxes I've ended up with. Who needs three coats! I expect there's a parable about it somewhere.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
User avatar
LarsMac
Posts: 13066
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Far Out, Man

House/Homes Forums

Post by LarsMac »

Týr;1456981 wrote: This is my final house-move, seriously. I don't remember the last one being this much effort. Admittedly I had help then but even so. What twerp invented stairs in the first place, that's what I want to know. Mankind was designed for communal bungalows. I'm appalled at how many boxes I've ended up with. Who needs three coats! I expect there's a parable about it somewhere.


Yeah, I said the same thing in 1998, when I moved to North Carolina.

and again when I moved to South Florida in 2001.

And yet again in 2005 when we moved to Ozarkia, sigh.

And I may have muttered something to that effect a couple of years ago, when we made it back to Colorado.

That time, I REALLY MEANT it.
Control is an illusion. The Chaos is all part of the fun.
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir
User avatar
Týr
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

Týr;1456981 wrote: Who needs three coats!
Update... four coats, one body warmer and a shooting jacket.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
User avatar
Týr
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

... and finally, after all these years I've turned up my winceyette pyjamas. I thought they'd been thrown out but no, there they were under the wardrobe. I'll be back in a bit but the need to turn on the washing machine has suddenly become urgent.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
User avatar
Týr
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

I may break the rule of a lifetime at this point and have a mid-month bath.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
User avatar
Týr
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

I know what I should have done, I should have labeled the contents onto the outside of the boxes before I sealed them.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Týr;1456971 wrote: I have been boxing paperwork and kitchenware on and off today. The removal van arrives on Thursday morning. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that I dislike packing but at least I had the sense last month to give away or throw out all the stuff that's not moving with me, so it's not in the way or distracting.

How on earth am I meant to box up a laserjet printer? Or loudspeakers?


Wrap them in blankets & pillows. That's how I move Televisions, etc.
User avatar
Betty Boop
Posts: 16534
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:17 pm
Location: The end of the World

House/Homes Forums

Post by Betty Boop »

Týr;1457107 wrote: I know what I should have done, I should have labeled the contents onto the outside of the boxes before I sealed them.


:wah::wah: oh deary me, what a mess you will be in.
User avatar
LarsMac
Posts: 13066
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Far Out, Man

House/Homes Forums

Post by LarsMac »

Týr;1457107 wrote: I know what I should have done, I should have labeled the contents onto the outside of the boxes before I sealed them.


Betty Boop;1457168 wrote: :wah::wah: oh deary me, what a mess you will be in.


Just think of the game you can play when you get to the new abode.

Try and guess to which room the box belongs as it is brought in, and then when you're unpacking see how well you did with that.
Control is an illusion. The Chaos is all part of the fun.
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir
User avatar
Týr
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

I packed my tools in an unmarked box, I can't take my table legs off and the hardware shop's closed. Where can I find a spanner?
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by AnneBoleyn »

LarsMac;1457173 wrote: Just think of the game you can play when you get to the new abode.

Try and guess to which room the box belongs as it is brought in, and then when you're unpacking see how well you did with that.


Yeah, he can check his ESP!
User avatar
Týr
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 am

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

LarsMac;1457173 wrote: then when you're unpacking see how well you did with that.I have absolutely no intention at all of ever unpacking any of this stuff. It can have a room of its own with a big Do Not Enter sign and three padlocks.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Týr;1457221 wrote: I have absolutely no intention at all of ever unpacking any of this stuff. It can have a room of its own with a big Do Not Enter sign and three padlocks.


I moved to Brooklyn almost 12 years ago & I still have unpacked boxes. I'm not bragging, I'm deeply ashamed. Shame on me. There's certain stuff I even want that must (I hope) be somewhere in there, but being on ForumGarden takes up all my time.
User avatar
Betty Boop
Posts: 16534
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:17 pm
Location: The end of the World

House/Homes Forums

Post by Betty Boop »

AnneBoleyn;1457224 wrote: I moved to Brooklyn almost 12 years ago & I still have unpacked boxes. I'm not bragging, I'm deeply ashamed. Shame on me. There's certain stuff I even want that must (I hope) be somewhere in there, but being on ForumGarden takes up all my time.


:wah: hmmm I have a couple of boxes somewhere from my move last year
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

House/Homes Forums

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Betty Boop;1457225 wrote: :wah: hmmm I have a couple of boxes somewhere from my move last year


Hate to pull rank darling Betty, but I said 12 Years! Do it! Do it now before you live with my regrets!! :-)
User avatar
Betty Boop
Posts: 16534
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:17 pm
Location: The end of the World

House/Homes Forums

Post by Betty Boop »

AnneBoleyn;1457227 wrote: Hate to pull rank darling Betty, but I said 12 Years! Do it! Do it now before you live with my regrets!! :-)


I'm laughing cos they will probably still be there next time I move. Moving is hell and takes so much time, I reckon we all stop unpacking before we're done :D

Return to “Request A New Forum Here”