Jelly Roll Pan and Morton

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
tabby

Post by tabby »

I found a promising recipe online for Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars ... I’m in! I printed it, gathered the ingredients and started making them this afternoon. It wasn’t until mid-stream that I realized the recipe called for them to be baked in a jelly roll pan. A what?? I’ve never heard of a jelly roll pan. Back to the internet. Low and behold, it’s a pan for making the cake part of a jelly roll, similar to what I call a cookie sheet except it has higher sides. Since my cookie sheets were too shallow, I ended up using the bottom half of a roasting pan. They turned out beautifully but I had my doubts there for a while.

How often do people make homemade jelly rolls? Is it just me or do any of you own a jelly roll pan? I can’t even remember the last time I had a jelly roll but I do like them.

I found this during my search ... what a great name!

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

That's MISTER Jelly Roll, if you please.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

How often do people make homemade jelly rolls? Is it just me or do any of you own a jelly roll pan?

My wife has one of those pans but don't recall her ever using it for a jelly roll. She's used it for different kinds of cakes and for pumpkin rolls though.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

tabby;1448674 wrote: I found a promising recipe online for Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars ... I’m in! I printed it, gathered the ingredients and started making them this afternoon. It wasn’t until mid-stream that I realized the recipe called for them to be baked in a jelly roll pan. A what?? I’ve never heard of a jelly roll pan. Back to the internet. Low and behold, it’s a pan for making the cake part of a jelly roll, similar to what I call a cookie sheet except it has higher sides. Since my cookie sheets were too shallow, I ended up using the bottom half of a roasting pan. They turned out beautifully but I had my doubts there for a while.

How often do people make homemade jelly rolls? Is it just me or do any of you own a jelly roll pan? I can’t even remember the last time I had a jelly roll but I do like them.

I found this during my search ... what a great name!

tabby...sounds yummy! Did you get the pan that you need? How did it turn out?
tabby

Post by tabby »

LarsMac;1448682 wrote: That's MISTER Jelly Roll, if you please.

:yh_rotfl
tabby

Post by tabby »

Mustang;1448707 wrote: My wife has one of those pans but don't recall her ever using it for a jelly roll. She's used it for different kinds of cakes and for pumpkin rolls though.

I've never made a cake that was thin or flexible enough to roll into a shape. I've seen recipes for pumpkin rolls in magazines and they look delicious but it would be too ambitious for me to attempt! :-3
tabby

Post by tabby »

Lady J;1448753 wrote: tabby...sounds yummy! Did you get the pan that you need? How did it turn out?

Lady J, I just used the bottom of a roasting pan and they turned out beautifully! They're now a mere memory albeit a good one!
tabby

Post by tabby »

There was also a popular hairstyle called the jelly roll:

Here's Wally Cleaver's version:

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Return to “The Kitchen”