Black history month

tude dog

Black history month

Post by tude dog »

Many of us White Folk are, so to speak annoyed by the Concept of a a Black History Month,

Golly, I must admit to the sea change,

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Oscar Namechange

Black history month

Post by Oscar Namechange »

It annoys the heck out of me also.

We have similar here

UK Black Pride thanks the community for its success | UK BLACK PRIDE 2013

But then should us white folk complain, we're branded fascist, racist, Nazi's.

My Issue Is, when politicians are telling me that I live In a wonderful Multi-cultural Eutopia when we all blissfully Integrate, an event like this actually creates the divide so fiercely frowned upon by the establishment.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
along-for-the-ride

Black history month

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I agree with Morgan Freeman.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
LarsMac

Black history month

Post by LarsMac »

along-for-the-ride;1447734 wrote: I agree with Morgan Freeman.

Likewise.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Black history month

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1447723 wrote: Many of us White Folk are, so to speak annoyed by the concept of a Black History Month

You shoot yourself in the foot my friend by the way you pose the remark and by the follow up argument.

The part "Many of us white folk" says it all, taking into consideration the black folk that agree with .

You have to ask yourself why you as white folk object, do you feel 'They' are getting more than you white folk?

If that is so.......then perhaps 'They' still need to have their 'Month'.

If on the other hand you feel the 'Black folk' are no different, and that 'Black history' is all rolled into main stream history, why the speration in your argument that "Many of us White folk"............you obviously seperate the races at the back of your mind, whatever reasoned words come out of your mouth.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Black history month

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Makes no sense to me that this (Black History Month) would bother anyone.
LarsMac

Black history month

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1447787 wrote: Makes no sense to me that this (Black History Month) would bother anyone.

It makes more sense to me that they incorporate a lot of the "Black History" into the regular textbooks for "American History" What happened to bring about the Civil Rights Movement, and a lot of what happened during that period should be basic history. It defines us as a people as much as the way the American Indian and the settlement of the West were handled, and the way the several different immigrant groups were treated, and as much as the way we handle the current "immigration problem" is finally handled.

And Mr Freeman is quite correct. As long as we keep separating Blacks, and Whites, and all the others, and continue to make "Race" an issue, we will never truly get past it and become that "One Nation" we keep talking about.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Black history month

LarsMac;1447790 wrote:

And Mr Freeman is quite correct. As long as we keep separating Blacks, and Whites, and all the others, and continue to make "Race" an issue, we will never truly get past it and become that "One Nation" we keep talking about. I agree totally...
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
YZGI

Black history month

Post by YZGI »

I don't have a problem with "Black History Month". I think all cultures should celebrate their ancestors. No different tha "Cinco De Mayo", St Pat's day etc. etc.

My problem starts with the exclusion type of things like "Black Miss America" and others. That's where the separation is a problem. We can all celebrate or acknowledge Black history month but we can't all participate in Black Miss America but Black can participate in the "Miss America" pageant.
YZGI

Black history month

Post by YZGI »

Just watched the Morgan Freeman video. He does make a lot of sense. He had Mike Wallace a little uncomfortable.
Mickiel

Black history month

Post by Mickiel »

Its always interesting watching white people react to a movement they created; as they pretend to have not created it.
LarsMac

Black history month

Post by LarsMac »

YZGI;1447797 wrote: I don't have a problem with "Black History Month". I think all cultures should celebrate their ancestors. No different tha "Cinco De Mayo", St Pat's day etc. etc.

My problem starts with the exclusion type of things like "Black Miss America" and others. That's where the separation is a problem. We can all celebrate or acknowledge Black history month but we can't all participate in Black Miss America but Black can participate in the "Miss America" pageant.

Some of those things came about because of exclusionary tactics by the Whites.

The Black Chamber of Commerce, for example, and, yes, "Black Miss America"

At some point those kinds of organizations must reach a conclusion that they have become superfluous, and willingly disband, or merge with the generalized organization.
- DH Lawrence
Mickiel

Black history month

Post by Mickiel »

Mickiel;1447800 wrote: Its always interesting watching white people react to a movement they created; as they pretend to have not created it.

Its hard to wash something off of your hands that you inherited.

Because it stays in your blood!
Mickiel

Black history month

Post by Mickiel »

oscar;1447725 wrote: It annoys the heck out of me also.

We have similar here

UK Black Pride thanks the community for its success | UK BLACK PRIDE 2013

But then should us white folk complain, we're branded fascist, racist, Nazi's.

My Issue Is, when politicians are telling me that I live In a wonderful Multi-cultural Eutopia when we all blissfully Integrate, an event like this actually creates the divide so fiercely frowned upon by the establishment.

Does it annoy you when every time you see a picture of Jesus, its a white man?

Or when the hero who saves the day is white?

Or when the dictionary defines white as wonderful and black as horrible?

Does that annoy you?

Would you understand it annoying blacks?
Mickiel

Black history month

Post by Mickiel »

Mickiel;1447806 wrote: Does it annoy you when every time you see a picture of Jesus, its a white man?

Does that annoy you?

Would you understand it annoying blacks?

Would it annoy you if whites were arrested 70 times more than blacks?

If whites were hired 70% less than blacks?

If whites were convicted in courts 67% more than blacks?

Would these things annoy you? If they were really what your race was has lived and is living?
Oscar Namechange

Black history month

Mickiel;1447806 wrote: Does it annoy you when every time you see a picture of Jesus, its a white man?

Does that annoy you?

Would you understand it annoying blacks? Quite the opposite. My objection Is solely based on establishments segregating us and race when they should be promoting assimilation and Integration. All the time we have organisations promoting a difference between black and white, the divide will continue throughout history.
Mickiel

Black history month

Post by Mickiel »

oscar;1447808 wrote: Quite the opposite. My objection Is solely based on establishments segregating us and race when they should be promoting assimilation and Integration. All the time we have organisations promoting a difference between black and white, the divide will continue throughout history.

I like what the French celebrate, " Via La Difference", I don't want to be a Borg and assimulated. I like being Black. And I like knowing my history. And I like celebrating it; its just that the history of what Whites did, and what Blacks did, is embarrising to some Whites. Your ancestors had a way of crushing people and then critisizing how they tried to get up under the weight; Its not leveraged thinking and reconciliation; so they confront todays issues with that same unbalanced racial firguring.
Snowfire

Black history month

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1447808 wrote: Quite the opposite. My objection Is solely based on establishments segregating us and race when they should be promoting assimilation and Integration. All the time we have organisations promoting a difference between black and white, the divide will continue throughout history.

The trouble with the sort of assimilation you are talking about Oscar is that it expects the whole world to assimilate with the White Anglo Saxon way of life and doesnt consider cultural differences. Assuming that everyone should suddenly do and be what we are. It's arrogant and divisive.

Why should a West Indian for example, be expected to drop everything that makes them what they are and become "one of us" whatever that is
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Black history month

Snowfire;1447811 wrote: The trouble with the sort of assimilation you are talking about Oscar is that it expects the whole world to assimilate with the White Anglo Saxon way of life and doesnt consider cultural differences. Assuming that everyone should suddenly do and be what we are. It's arrogant and divisive.

Why should a West Indian for example, be expected to drop everything that makes them what they are and become "one of us" whatever that is And that, Is exactly what those against mass Immigration say !!! To expect anyone with a diametrically opposed culture to ours to assimilate with us was nothing but a pipe dream by the Labour Party.
AnneBoleyn

Black history month

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I didn't realize you are a black man Mickiel. I just saw, or noticed, for the first time your profile picture. Feel free to ignore this comment.
Snowfire

Black history month

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1447813 wrote: And that, Is exactly what those against mass Immigration say !!! To expect anyone with a diametrically opposed culture to ours to assimilate with us was nothing but a pipe dream by the Labour Party.

Where my Grandparents lived was one of the biggest Sikh communities in the country. I met my first Indian man in a turban when I was about 4 years old. What would the point of "turning" them into white Anglo saxon ? It was wonderful that we had such a community.

The fact they were different culturally, ate very different food and dressed very differently didn't mean they weren't part of our community. Why can't we be "different" but still be the same ?

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Black history month

Snowfire;1447818 wrote: Where my Grandparents lived was one of the biggest Sikh communities in the country. I met my first Indian man in a turban when I was about 4 years old. What would the point of "turning" them into white Anglo saxon ? It was wonderful that we had such a community.

The fact they were different culturally, ate very different food and dressed very differently didn't mean they weren't part of our community. Why can't we be "different" but still be the same ?

I concede you make a very good point.
AnneBoleyn

Black history month

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Snowfire;1447818 wrote:

The first Sikh I ever met, a man, was in Hyde Park, London. He told me he found living in the U.K. very difficult. What's the hardest thing, I asked? He answered "I can't find a launderer to properly clean my turbans."

I swear that's a true story. I'm sure he does not have that problem any longer.
Snowfire

Black history month

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1447819 wrote: I concede you make a very good point.

You've been at the Gin haven't you.

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Black history month

Snowfire;1447822 wrote: You've been at the Gin haven't you. No, but I am off my tits on Peter's drugs
Snowfire

Black history month

Post by Snowfire »

AnneBoleyn;1447820 wrote: The first Sikh I ever met, a man, was in Hyde Park, London. He told me he found living in the U.K. very difficult. What's the hardest thing, I asked? He answered "I can't find a launderer to properly clean my turbans."

I swear that's a true story. I'm sure he does not have that problem any longer.

The experience I referred to was on a bus. I sat next to this gentleman, while my mum and dad sat together across the way. I cried, silently to myself. I'd never seen a man in a turban with a large beard before. My mum still laughs at that . She said her and dad could see my shoulders going up and down as I cried. They apologised to the elderly man but he saw the funny side

Winston Churchill
Wandrin

Black history month

Post by Wandrin »

I have no objection to Black History Month. I learn something new each time from the PBS documentaries and interviews now that US history is not so heavily censored and fictionalized.
tude dog

Black history month

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1447764 wrote: You shoot yourself in the foot my friend by the way you pose the remark and by the follow up argument.

The part "Many of us white folk" says it all, taking into consideration the black folk that agree with .

Can't speak for all of us White Folk, and my personal experience has shown many Black Folk (Negros, Blacks, African Americans, what ever) think the same way I do.

Bruv;1447764 wrote: You have to ask yourself why you as white folk object, do you feel 'They' are getting more than you white folk?

I believe what many of us resent is blatant racism by our federal government.

Bruv;1447764 wrote: If that is so.......then perhaps 'They' still need to have their 'Month'.

!@#$% month and +_)(*&

Bruv;1447764 wrote: If on the other hand you feel the 'Black folk' are no different, and that 'Black history' is all rolled into main stream history, why the speration in your argument that "Many of us White folk"............you obviously seperate the races at the back of your mind, whatever reasoned words come out of your mouth.

My nation has people from all over the world, each with a story to tell.

I would guess the most over looked are the Native Americans, who if any should have a month to their own.

I suppose most resentment is Black History Month came about the same time Affirmative Action, where Blacks get preference in jobs, schooling etc.
tude dog

Black history month

Post by tude dog »

No

From what I seen, since there is no contemporary image or description his image has reflected many races and cultures.

Mickiel;1447806 wrote: Or when the hero who saves the day is white?

As of late, I would say that colored people become much more represented in the role of HERO.

Mickiel;1447806 wrote: Or when the dictionary defines white as wonderful and black as horrible?

Does that annoy you?

Gee, haven't seen that one. Please, don't tell me it was Websters.

Mickiel;1447806 wrote: Would you understand it annoying blacks?

I give the general black population more credit than you do.
tude dog

Black history month

Post by tude dog »

Mickiel;1447809 wrote: I like what the French celebrate, " Via La Difference", I don't want to be a Borg and assimulated. I like being Black.

Oh please, you think I would look forward to my sister assembling with a black?? How about your siblings?

I am a Jew, and we are of all races and that is all that matters.

Mickiel;1447809 wrote: And I like knowing my history. And I like celebrating it; its just that the history of what Whites did, and what Blacks did, is embarrising to some Whites.

It is great to understand you history as you define it.

Mickiel;1447809 wrote: Your ancestors had a way of crushing people and then critisizing how they tried to get up under the weight; Its not leveraged thinking and reconciliation; so they confront todays issues with that same unbalanced racial firguring.

I am not embarrassed at all. Much of what we are speaking of is history to me.

If there is any rethinking, it should be by Black Folk.

Give up the oppressed theme, or not, if it works for more benies.
AnneBoleyn

Black history month

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Well, I can't handle this thread anymore TD, you are overtly a racist. Shame on you. Shonda.
Saint_

Black history month

Post by Saint_ »

Actually, Tude Dog, the census predicts that Anglo Americans will be in a minority within ten years, so then you can have you month with no problems. Of course you may not like the minority status for other reasons...
LarsMac

Black history month

Post by LarsMac »

- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Black history month

Post by tude dog »

Sometimes I speak my mind in crude ways. Just the way I am.

I make no apologies, as nothing I say here matters at all.

What matters are those who in power create racial division for gain.
tude dog

Black history month

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn

Black history month

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1448208 wrote: Sometimes I speak my mind in crude ways. Just the way I am.

I make no apologies, as nothing I say here matters at all.

What matters are those who in power create racial division for gain.

I must admit I don't think of you when I'm not here, But--when I am here, you matter to me, what you say matters to me. Just the way I am.

eta--while you 'think' in crude ways, you do have control over your mouth. Don't you?
Bruv

Black history month

Post by Bruv »

I am actually warming to Tude.

I honestly think he's just contrary rather than out and out racist, although if he is racist I admire him being up front about it.

I still beleieve most of us are to some extent a little racist or have racist reservations........I know I do, and that is not easy to say out loud.
AnneBoleyn

Black history month

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv;1448215 wrote: I am actually warming to Tude.

I honestly think he's just contrary rather than out and out racist, although if he is racist I admire him being up front about it.

I still beleieve most of us are to some extent a little racist or have racist reservations........I know I do, and that is not easy to say out loud.

I'm supposing you discuss your wee bit of racism or your reservations with your wife. That must be interesting conversation.

As for TD, he has told us that as a child, teenager, he lived with the rougher elements of the black race & had his suffering regarding that. He, the white child, was the minority, & probably payed plenty for the experience. This, no pun intended, must have colored his thinking. He did know many thugs, of that I'm sure. I'm sorry, also no pun intended, that he didn't have a lighter (easier) childhood. Those the breaks, man. Experience can be a nasty teacher.
Bruv

Black history month

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1448220 wrote: I'm supposing you discuss your wee bit of racism or your reservations with your wife.

Why not ? she has her reservations too..............and she worked under the Smith Regime, remember UDI ?
AnneBoleyn

Black history month

Post by AnneBoleyn »

That brings back memories---all bad. Yeah it's a miracle she trusts you, Honky!
Bruv

Black history month

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1448224 wrote: That brings back memories---all bad. Yeah it's a miracle she trusts you, Honky!

Who said she did ?

As it happens we have a very good open relationship........that's how I know when push comes to shove there is a racial element.
LarsMac

Black history month

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1448210 wrote:

Don't think so.

It's two sides of the same coin.

He is right on both counts.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Black history month

Post by Bruv »

I have always said that the day a white guy or a black guy in the heat of an argument can say "you black/white bastard" and the colour part has no relevance, racism is finished.

But we are a loooooong way from that unfortunately.

We are still hung up about Black boards and and stuff or whether Jesus was black or white..........gawd help us all.
tude dog

Black history month

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1448237 wrote: Don't think so.

It's two sides of the same coin.

He is right on both counts.

Heads or tails?

"Stop talking about it

MORGAN: Has Obama helped the process of eradicating racism? Or has it in a --

FREEMAN: I don't think...

MORGAN: ... strange way, made it worse?

FREEMAN: Made it worse. Made it worse. Look at the -- look -- the Tea Partiers -- who are controlling the Republican party, their stated policy, publicly stated, is to do whatever it takes to see to it that Obama only serves one term. What's -- what does that -- what underlines that? Screw the country. We're going to do whatever we need to do to get this black man -- we can -- we're going to do whatever we can to get this black man out of here.

MORGAN: But it's not necessarily a racist--

FREEMAN: It is a racist thing.

CNN

Another reason to ignore actors.
Mickiel

Black history month

Post by Mickiel »

AnneBoleyn;1447814 wrote: I didn't realize you are a black man Mickiel. I just saw, or noticed, for the first time your profile picture. Feel free to ignore this comment.

Actually I am mixed, my Mom and Father were Black, my grandparents were American Indian on my Mom's side, white and black on my Dad's side; so I am a conglomerant of the three races.

But there exist an old proverb; if you have 1 % of black blood, then your black.
Saint_

Black history month

Post by Saint_ »

AnneBoleyn;1448220 wrote: I'm supposing you discuss your wee bit of racism or your reservations with your wife. That must be interesting conversation.

As for TD, he has told us that as a child, teenager, he lived with the rougher elements of the black race & had his suffering regarding that. He, the white child, was the minority, & probably payed plenty for the experience. This, no pun intended, must have colored his thinking. He did know many thugs, of that I'm sure. I'm sorry, also no pun intended, that he didn't have a lighter (easier) childhood. Those the breaks, man. Experience can be a nasty teacher.

All that's true, but it doesn't have to be. I spent some years in my formative years as the only Anglo-American child in the inner-city in Denver. My Mother taught at an inner city school. Everyone in that area was African-American and I was the little "paddy-boy." But I don't have any attitude about it now.
Mickiel

Black history month

Post by Mickiel »

Saint_;1448528 wrote: All that's true, but it doesn't have to be. I spent some years in my formative years as the only Anglo-American child in the inner-city in Denver. My Mother taught at an inner city school. Everyone in that area was African-American and I was the little "paddy-boy." But I don't have any attitude about it now.

Well this just goes to show us that much of racism, is how someone got treated by another race; and not all examples are bad. Because not all people are bad. But racism can go much deeper than how a person was treated, it can get into how that person " Was taught to think about another race"- and how that teaching has affected their consciousness in their life. And how that consciousness can subconsciously affect a society.

And we can see a LOT of that throughout the entire worlds consciousness.
Saint_

Black history month

Post by Saint_ »

Mickiel;1448533 wrote: Well this just goes to show us that much of racism, is how someone got treated by another race; and not all examples are bad. .

True enough. I spent some of my ten years on the Blackfoot Reservation in Montana. They were so nice to my family that we got invited to pow wows and I even got to drum in the drum circle. I met Buffy St. Marie and the guy who played the original Tonto. I really loved those people, but when I moved to New Mexico, I quickly realized that the Navajos were not the Blackfeet, nor were the New Mexicans like the Montanans. (See: "The Broken Circle" - which, incidentally, is about some guys from my neighborhood then. I knew them. They were sociopathic jerks.)
Mickiel

Black history month

Post by Mickiel »

Saint_;1448534 wrote: True enough. I spent some of my ten years on the Blackfoot Reservation in Montana. They were so nice to my family that we got invited to pow wows and I even got to drum in the drum circle. I met Buffy St. Marie and the guy who played the original Tonto. I really loved those people, but when I moved to New Mexico, I quickly realized that the Navajos were not the Blackfeet, nor were the New Mexicans like the Montanans. (See: "The Broken Circle" - which, incidentally, is about some guys from my neighborhood then. I knew them. They were sociopathic jerks.)

My Grandmother on my Mothers side was a Blackfeet Indian. The Blackfeet Indians that I know of were those who married or mated with Black people, and their offspring were just darker. But their entire history cannot be just limited to that; but its the tribe that my liniage came from.

The tribe were Nomads and just started marrying other races as they got around.
tude dog

Black history month

Post by tude dog »

Mickiel;1448533 wrote: Well this just goes to show us that much of racism, is how someone got treated by another race; and not all examples are bad.

Because not all people are bad

I believe that so true.

Mickiel;1448533 wrote: But racism can go much deeper than how a person was treated, it can get into how that person " Was taught to think about another race"- and how that teaching has affected their consciousness in their life. And how that consciousness can subconsciously affect a society.

That is also true.

Mickiel;1448533 wrote: And we can see a LOT of that throughout the entire worlds consciousness.

Return to “History”