The weather

What's the weather like today?
Snowfire

The weather

Post by Snowfire »

More relentless storms.

I live in an old house built in 1895 and its always been a bit drafty but this winter has been especially so. I cant close my back door because it has swollen with all the rain and for a brief 20 seconds, we acquired a small trampoline and two fence panels from a neighbour. Theyre gone now. Someone else has them

We, however are the lucky ones. Flooding has been minimal.

This isn't by any means a Hurricane of the scale seen on the USA coasts in recent years but it has had its impact over the last few months because of its relentlessness and its here to stay for a while yet
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

The weather

Post by Bruv »

A months rain in the next 2 days, they tell us.

When they talk of this high speed rail link, I am thinking,what about some half decent defences/drainage, remembering a lot of land such as Holland and Romney marsh could be under water if it wasn't for man's intervention.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Saint_

The weather

Post by Saint_ »

Hmmm...rain. I seem to remember reading about this somewhere. It's when water actually falls out of the air, right? Very strange.

Oscar Namechange

The weather

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I'm quite close to Somerset and some of the worst flooding. The rain has been relentless and I've had a small stream right outside my front door for weeks that the dogs have to negotiate every time they go out. Having said that, we do have large tree's In the garden and In the field outside the house so It's draining away quite well each day. But I am sick to death of It and the muck the dogs bring In all day day and night.

No swollen wooden doors though with replacement windows and doors.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Chloe_88

The weather

Post by Chloe_88 »

Bruv;1447895 wrote: A months rain in the next 2 days, they tell us.

When they talk of this high speed rail link, I am thinking,what about some half decent defences/drainage, remembering a lot of land such as Holland and Romney marsh could be under water if it wasn't for man's intervention.

Yep we would have been flushed away if it wasn't for man's intervention.

My old village has an extra dike built around it. If it hadn't been there, it would have flooded in 1825 when the frisian sea dike let Fryslân (frisian province in Holland) down.

Anywho.. I hope all of you in England are okay (??)
Lady J

The weather

Post by Lady J »

I see in the news that England has had the wettest January in England since 1766, even if the heavy rain stops, ground water levels are so high that it could be weeks before life returns to normal. And that huge waves are crashing onto the Portuguese coast, causing extensive damage, and there are high wind alerts in parts of Ireland, which faces the worst storm yet of the winter. Here in the USA it too has been a hard winter with the South being hit with ice and snow; which they know nothing about....today US1 was closed down and the military had to be brought in to rescue people off the interstate as it was deemed impassable. Here we are looking at about 8 to 12" of snow and then rain....next week it is to be in the 50F!

Why? Does anyone have any thoughts on why this weather cycle is happening?
LarsMac

The weather

Post by LarsMac »

Well, of course all the talk of climate change is top of mind.

Scientist warned that extreme weather conditions would be among the symptoms we would see. Add these to the nasty weather Australia is reporting, and in Point Barrow, the ice is not thickening at the usual rate, we have a compelling argument to support the theories around Climate change.

I am sure there are people who can come up with other ideas to explain the phenomena.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

The weather

Post by Bruv »

Lets hope Mikiel doesn't have an opininion.
Saint_

The weather

Post by Saint_ »

We're having the opposite extremes in the SouthWest. It didn't rain at all for almost two months in December and January. It's going to be 70F on Saturday...in the middle of February. I saw a report that said the jet stream is seriously out of alignment. swinging way to high north and way to low south, almost cutting vertically down the country in the middle.
Bruv

The weather

Post by Bruv »

Wait for it......................

Perhaps hard to believe during the wettest winter in a hundred years, but scientists are 75 per cent certain that 2014 will be the hottest summer on record.
Saint_

The weather

Post by Saint_ »

And to think there are still Global Warming deniers out there. It's like arguing about the thermostat while your house is burning down around you.
Bryn Mawr

The weather

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lady J;1447987 wrote: I see in the news that England has had the wettest January in England since 1766, even if the heavy rain stops, ground water levels are so high that it could be weeks before life returns to normal. And that huge waves are crashing onto the Portuguese coast, causing extensive damage, and there are high wind alerts in parts of Ireland, which faces the worst storm yet of the winter. Here in the USA it too has been a hard winter with the South being hit with ice and snow; which they know nothing about....today US1 was closed down and the military had to be brought in to rescue people off the interstate as it was deemed impassable. Here we are looking at about 8 to 12" of snow and then rain....next week it is to be in the 50F!

Why? Does anyone have any thoughts on why this weather cycle is happening?

Simple, take any complex steady state system and disturb the equilibrium and the result is chaotic adjustments until a new equilibrium is reached.

Take the planetary weather system which is very complex and was pretty much steady state and add to that a massive change in the levels of various greenhouse gasses and pollutants and the result will not be a steady increase in global temperature but a chaotic mish-mash of record weather events.
Bryn Mawr

The weather

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Saint_;1447999 wrote: We're having the opposite extremes in the SouthWest. It didn't rain at all for almost two months in December and January. It's going to be 70F on Saturday...in the middle of February. I saw a report that said the jet stream is seriously out of alignment. swinging way to high north and way to low south, almost cutting vertically down the country in the middle.

The Earth Wind map that was posted recently shows that clearly - go to the 10hPa level and you see the jetstream cutting through Canada from north to south
Oscar Namechange

The weather

Lord Lawson denies floods are linked to climate change - Telegraph
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

The weather

Post by Bruv »

Nigella's Dad?

Enough said.
Patsy Warnick

The weather

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Beautiful - absolutely beautiful day 80 degrees today.

We didn't have much of a Winter - Spring started a few weeks ago.

wonderful weather.

Now my family in Seattle have a different story - snow

Patsy
Bruv

The weather

Post by Bruv »

Just got an automated phonecall from the Enviroment Agency warning of a flood threat over the rest of today and tomorrow.
Oscar Namechange

The weather

Just watched on TV... waves 20 miles In land In Somerset. WTF !!!!! That's waves crashing over farmers fields.

Here In Oscar Towers, I was surprised to say the least when I went out to the Foxes two nights ago to find snow. That was a surprise... all gone by morning.

My garden still flooding but draining away quite well.
Bruv

The weather

Post by Bruv »

I have a small river which is getting bigger about 200 yards away, beyond the houses to the right of my front door is flood plain, the local B&Q is located there, it's car park has been flooded this week.

My house is not too far the other side of this building.

It is a worry.
Snowfire

The weather

Post by Snowfire »

My local pub is called The Ship. Its about 50 yards away. This should tell me a thing or two
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

The weather

Bruv;1448166 wrote: I have a small river which is getting bigger about 200 yards away, beyond the houses to the right of my front door is flood plain, the local B&Q is located there, it's car park has been flooded this week.

My house is not too far the other side of this building.

It is a worry. That Is worrying... what If people need light bulbs or creosote?
Bruv

The weather

Post by Bruv »

oscar;1448183 wrote: That Is worrying... what If people need light bulbs or creosote?

Funny you should say that...................the last time I went to purchase a florescent tube there, they didn't have any, they were coming in next day they said, they didn't.
Bryn Mawr

The weather

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bryn Mawr;1448013 wrote: The Earth Wind map that was posted recently shows that clearly - go to the 10hPa level and you see the jetstream cutting through Canada from north to south

It's very noticeable that, now that the jetstream has moved back to the north of Scotland (and is crossing Canada from West to East) the gales have died down and the weather is back to a more normal pattern :-

earth wind map

Return to “Weather Station”