The Dentist

Lady J

The Dentist

Post by Lady J »

Sounds like the title of a horror movie!!!

My teeth are in pretty good shape but I hate going to the Dentist. Not that I don't like the person himself, actually my new Dentist is quite an attractive man; it is just something about being in that chair, the sound of the drill and people poking around in my mouth and pulling on my face. The last couple of times I went my blood pressure was so high they had me sit for 10 minutes to see if it would come down as they won't work on your teeth if your pressure is too high.

And the new dentist office I am going to is nothing like the ones I used to go to. It is open and bright. It is a huge room with dividers between each Dentist station and big windows and a TV. Not that I can envision anyone watching TV when in a dentist chair.....And it doesn't have a spit bowl! You know the bowl with the water running around in it where when the dentist says "ok spit" you would aim for that bowl. Nope, at this office they hand you a syphon or a spit sucker to put in your mouth.

And don't get me started on the expense of going to the dentist. I can't believe you pay someone so much money to make you feel miserable!! (Well at least for a few hours ;) )
tabby

The Dentist

Post by tabby »

I feel the same way about them, Lady J and they're bound to be used to it! Dentist offices will probably never make anyone's list of "favorite places I'd like to be right now" but it sounds like the one you're going to is another rung up the ladder.

It's so much easier to tell someone else to "just relax!" than it is to do it in actuality, isn't it? :yh_nailbi

Take care of your pearlies! :D
Chloe_88

The Dentist

Post by Chloe_88 »

I love my current dentist! So to the point (and always on time!)

Before I had a lady dentist who made me nervous because she was..

This male dentist doesn't make a fuss. I had a very small cavity like a year or so ago.. I asked him if it could be filled without anesthetic, he got to it right away. No pain at all, just a little pinch at one point, he talked me through it which helped.

He also told me to come only once a year for checkups as I almost never have issues with my teeth.. he tought it was a waste of both our time if i'd come round twice a year.

He pulled my wisdom tooth last november (the one the lady dentist was too scared to remove).. The time it took from me walking in, having it pulled and back ouside again was 7 minutes!

Bloody wonderful! :D

I would never trade this dentist in for another!
Chloe_88

The Dentist

Post by Chloe_88 »

Lady J;1446960 wrote: It is a huge room with dividers between each Dentist station

So you can watch other people scream and dribble? :wah:
Betty Boop

The Dentist

Post by Betty Boop »

They take your blood pressure at the dentists? :-3
LarsMac

The Dentist

Post by LarsMac »

I had a dentist back in Arkansas who was great. His hygienist was professional and thorough, and friendly, they were an easy walk from my house.

The first dentist I tried here was all wrong. They had a large open area where all the patients are in a big room and the dentist and hygienists all talked to each other incessantly, and we the patients, were merely something to occupy their hands while they chatted. Sort of like the quilt at a quilting bee.

I am looking for a new dentist.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

The Dentist

Post by Oscar Namechange »

My Mother started taking me to the dentist when I was about 5 years old... Mr Stevens his name was. One memory was the smell of the gas mask. I was always sick after It.

In the waiting room, my brother who was 2 years older than me would squabble over who went first. There was a long flight of stairs up to his surgery on the top floor and I can recall the dread I felt as I took every step.

I started to tell my Mother that he was really hurting me. Not just being a baby but really hurting. She asked my brother who always said. no, Mr Stevens never hurt him so I was told off every time for making a fuss,

The upshot was that to this day, I have to pay through the nose for sedation and to be completely knocked out even for a filling.

One day, some 40 years later, my brother and I are chatting away and the subject got round this and I said It was all down to that childhood dentist. My brother says, ' Oh yeah, he was really heavy handed and I was so frightened of him'. I'm like ' hang on a minute and jogged his memory. He then tells me he was also terrified of Mr Stevens but never said anything because he'd have looked like a baby If he'd cried like me'

I gave him a chinese burn for that,
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
G#Gill

The Dentist

Post by G#Gill »

Something to cheer you all up a little ! This is the funniest sketch I've seen come out of America !!! Tim Conway and Harvey Korman on the Carol Burnett Show............

Dentist Sketch - The Carol Burnett Show - YouTube
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
jones jones

The Dentist

Post by jones jones »

Lady J;1446960 wrote: Sounds like the title of a horror movie!!!

My teeth are in pretty good shape but I hate going to the Dentist. Not that I don't like the person himself, actually my new Dentist is quite an attractive man; it is just something about being in that chair, the sound of the drill and people poking around in my mouth and pulling on my face. The last couple of times I went my blood pressure was so high they had me sit for 10 minutes to see if it would come down as they won't work on your teeth if your pressure is too high.

And the new dentist office I am going to is nothing like the ones I used to go to. It is open and bright. It is a huge room with dividers between each Dentist station and big windows and a TV. Not that I can envision anyone watching TV when in a dentist chair.....And it doesn't have a spit bowl! You know the bowl with the water running around in it where when the dentist says "ok spit" you would aim for that bowl. Nope, at this office they hand you a syphon or a spit sucker to put in your mouth.

And don't get me started on the expense of going to the dentist. I can't believe you pay someone so much money to make you feel miserable!! (Well at least for a few hours ;) )

"I can't believe you pay someone so much money to make you feel miserable!! (Well at least for a few hours.)"

I know quite a few people who do this for free.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Wandrin

The Dentist

Post by Wandrin »

My dentist offers a special service for those who are uncomfortable in a dentist's office. I tried it out and I like it. The appointment is made first thing in the morning, so there is no time spent in the waiting room listening to the drill. Once settled into the chair, the assistant hands you a pair of huge noise-cancelling headphones and asks you to select a type of music. Then she hands you a little volume control device.

After the procedure, if anesthetic was used, they have some recovery rooms next door, out of the range to hear drills and they check on you and tell you when it is safe to drive home.

It's all very well thought out.
Chloe_88

The Dentist

Post by Chloe_88 »

Wandrin;1447025 wrote: My dentist offers a special service for those who are uncomfortable in a dentist's office. I tried it out and I like it. The appointment is made first thing in the morning, so there is no time spent in the waiting room listening to the drill. Once settled into the chair, the assistant hands you a pair of huge noise-cancelling headphones and asks you to select a type of music. Then she hands you a little volume control device.

After the procedure, if anesthetic was used, they have some recovery rooms next door, out of the range to hear drills and they check on you and tell you when it is safe to drive home.

It's all very well thought out.

That sound very good!

My best friend is terrified of going to the dentist..

Once when we were about 14, her mum could't go with her, so I went. I could hear her screaming at the top of her lungs!

We only had to walk 1 street back to my house..

We giggled about it later, as she sat there dribbling waiting for her mum to pick her up after work..

I can't blame her for screaming. She had several root canals before she was even 18.

She got hit in the gob with a canoe when she was little and it had messed up her teeth.

She has had it all fixed now; pulled, filled, braces etc. But she ended up in that chair so often, I can imagine she is scared of the dentist!
Oscar Namechange

The Dentist

What happened to you ?

Oh, I got hit In the gob with a canoe...

Sorry... but...

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Chloe_88

The Dentist

Post by Chloe_88 »

oscar;1447046 wrote: What happened to you ?

Oh, I got hit In the gob with a canoe...

Sorry... but...

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I know.. How unlikely is that!

Sad it left permanent scars though.

The teeth got fixed, but she was left with scars on her upper lip though..
Patsy Warnick

The Dentist

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Lady J

your dentist can give you medication prior to your appointment to keep you calm and keep your blood pressure down.

I'm not referring to the gas at the time of the appt. I never have the gas knock out.

I have had meds to stay calm prior to my appt.

I'm scared to death going to a dentist

I've had too many horrible experiences with dental work

one example - root canal & the dentist left the drill bit in my jaw - finished & completed the work on that tooth - on my way out he tells me about the drill bit.

The out come - surgery to remove that tooth I was trying to save.

Has any one ever crossed the border to Mexico for dental work?

I have - I've never had a problem and the cost difference is huge.

in fact I'm planning to go to Mexico for more work.

U.S. quote $1800.00 for one tooth - Mexico charged me $120.00.

My sister had false teeth made in Mexico

She had teeth pulled & beautiful set of false teeth made for $ 475.00 total.

it's worth the travel

Patsy
Oscar Namechange

The Dentist

Chloe_88;1447050 wrote: I know.. How unlikely is that!

I wasn't laughing at her discomfort but the way you put It.

I would have said something like ' a canoeing accident left her with broken teeth' but ' hit In the gob with a canoe' just cracked me up.
Lady J

The Dentist

Post by Lady J »

Chloe_88;1446970 wrote: I love my current dentist! So to the point (and always on time!)

The time it took from me walking in, having it pulled and back ouside again was 7 minutes!

Bloody wonderful! :D

I would never trade this dentist in for another!

WOW! I could not resist to reply...how can you in 7 minutes walk into a dentist office, get a wisdom tooth pulled and not have it packed to avoid infection? that is just amazing!! No wonder it was bloody wonderful!!!

no offense....that just astounds me.

I had my wisdom teeth pulled at the age of 25 and looked like a chipmunk for about 4 days after.
Lady J

The Dentist

Post by Lady J »

LarsMac;1446980 wrote: I had a dentist back in Arkansas who was great. His hygienist was professional and thorough, and friendly, they were an easy walk from my house.

The first dentist I tried here was all wrong. They had a large open area where all the patients are in a big room and the dentist and hygienists all talked to each other incessantly, and we the patients, were merely something to occupy their hands while they chatted. Sort of like the quilt at a quilting bee.

I am looking for a new dentist.

Even thou my dentist office is high tec... I must say there is no conversations and everyone is focused on Your teeth; very professional. The panels in the open room are about 7' high so you can not see any one else and the only sound you can hear are the drills. Yikkes!!! I hate them.
Hope6

The Dentist

Post by Hope6 »

Chloe it sounds like you don't like the idea of a woman dentist?
Lady J

The Dentist

Post by Lady J »

jones jones;1447003 wrote: "I can't believe you pay someone so much money to make you feel miserable!! (Well at least for a few hours.)"

I know quite a few people who do this for free.

:wah: so do I Baby...but I prefer to avoid them!
Hope6

The Dentist

Post by Hope6 »

My dentist takes my mothers blood pressure because of her age and the fact that she is on blood pressure medication, but they don't take mine.
Lady J

The Dentist

Post by Lady J »

G#Gill;1447001 wrote: Something to cheer you all up a little ! This is the funniest sketch I've seen come out of America !!! Tim Conway and Harvey Korman on the Carol Burnett Show............

Dentist Sketch - The Carol Burnett Show - YouTube

I luv Carol....she is my next favorite to Lucy Ball!!!

Thank you for sharing Gill! What a great video :wah:

I thought Tim Conway was awesome and watching Harvey trying to hold in his laugh....I thought he was going to pee himself!! Wonderful humor!

laugh often and live longer!:-6
Lady J

The Dentist

Post by Lady J »

Chloe_88;1447050 wrote: I know.. How unlikely is that!

That is sad. To be marked for life from a canoe in the face. I can understand her fear of dentist...I don't blame her. Send her my best of well wishes Chloe.
Lady J

The Dentist

Post by Lady J »

oscar;1446991 wrote: My Mother started taking me to the dentist when I was about 5 years old... Mr Stevens his name was. One memory was the smell of the gas mask. I was always sick after It.

In the waiting room, my brother who was 2 years older than me would squabble over who went first. There was a long flight of stairs up to his surgery on the top floor and I can recall the dread I felt as I took every step.

I started to tell my Mother that he was really hurting me. Not just being a baby but really hurting. She asked my brother who always said. no, Mr Stevens never hurt him so I was told off every time for making a fuss,

The upshot was that to this day, I have to pay through the nose for sedation and to be completely knocked out even for a filling.

One day, some 40 years later, my brother and I are chatting away and the subject got round this and I said It was all down to that childhood dentist. My brother says, ' Oh yeah, he was really heavy handed and I was so frightened of him'. I'm like ' hang on a minute and jogged his memory. He then tells me he was also terrified of Mr Stevens but never said anything because he'd have looked like a baby If he'd cried like me'

I gave him a chinese burn for that,

Oscar...I don't know what a Chinese burn is but he seemed to deserve it!!
Oscar Namechange

The Dentist

Lady J;1447083 wrote: Oscar...I don't know what a Chinese burn is but he seemed to deserve it!!

Urban Dictionary: chinese burn
Lady J

The Dentist

Post by Lady J »

oscar;1447088 wrote: Urban Dictionary: chinese burn

:wah::wah::wah:

Thanks Oscar!

Got it!! OUCH!
Lady J

The Dentist

Post by Lady J »

Betty Boop;1446975 wrote:

They take your blood pressure at the dentists? :-3

Dear Ms. Boop....Yes that seems to be the new thing in over all health.

It's stressful enuf to go to the dentist.....what would it be like if you had a heart attach there!!!

OMG!!! no one who ever go to the dentist!!

http://adctoday.com/sites/default/files ... r_0002.pdf..
aurident

The Dentist

Post by aurident »

I know a couple of dentists looking are absolutely good, but then, visiting the place still gives me a chill.
[link removed]
Bruv

The Dentist

Post by Bruv »

aurident;1460928 wrote: I know a couple of dentists looking are absolutely good, but then, visiting the place still gives me a chill.

aurident?????

In a thread entitled The Dentist

Wonder what that removed link was about?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
FourPart

The Dentist

Post by FourPart »

I really must make an appointment with my dentist. I'm so way, way overdue.

I don't have any concerns with my dentist at all. She's brilliant! Even when I have any work done I never need a local. She even uses a laser 'drill' most of the time, so there's none of that high pitched whistling.

Just think - I remember when dentists still used drills powered by a leather strap going round a series of pulleys. How times have changed - thankfully.
Bruv

The Dentist

Post by Bruv »

FourPart;1460930 wrote:

Just think - I remember when dentists still used drills powered by a leather strap going round a series of pulleys. How times have changed - thankfully.

You are older than you look then........(Pssst ......aurident might be able to get you a discount......if you talk nicely)
LarsMac

The Dentist

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1460929 wrote: aurident?????

In a thread entitled The Dentist

Wonder what that removed link was about?

Wish you hadn't mentioned that. They may have never noticed.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

The Dentist

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1460937 wrote: Wish you hadn't mentioned that. They may have never noticed.

I bet my eye teeth they would........they are persistantly consistant with their residency on this thread, was here when I made that comment and they are still here......watching.....waiting.....must be commision in it.
Aura

The Dentist

Post by Aura »

We don't have a TV in the dentists (I wish they would) it's like being on death row in the waiting room but mine is usually good.
Betty Boop

The Dentist

Post by Betty Boop »

My lad, petrified of the dentist had to have a filling today. The dentist was the first person I have come across in a long time that actually knew how to deal with him, she talked him through every step and he elected to have gas and air alongside the local anaesthetic to calm his nerves.

Return to “Health Wellness”