Boil up your bones

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
Oscar Namechange

Boil up your bones

Post by Oscar Namechange »

So yesterday we had friends for dinner.

Following roast chicken dinner, I went to make the coffee and one asked what was the smell coming from the kitchen.

So I told her I was boiling up the Chicken carcass and they all stared at me as though I was mad.

Am I the only one who does this ? Surely not ?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
tabby

Boil up your bones

Post by tabby »

Coincidentally, that's on my agenda for this afternoon! I've never made homemade chicken stock/broth before but I saved the carcass from over the weekend with the intention of boiling it in the stockpot and making enough homemade chicken broth to freeze for soups.

My big decision is ... should I add vegetables for extra flavor or just keep it strictly chicken broth? Inexperience has me indecisive!!
Oscar Namechange

Boil up your bones

tabby;1444445 wrote: Coincidentally, that's on my agenda for this afternoon! I've never made homemade chicken stock/broth before but I saved the carcass from over the weekend with the intention of boiling it in the stockpot and making enough homemade chicken broth to freeze for soups.

My big decision is ... should I add vegetables for extra flavor or just keep it strictly chicken broth? Inexperience has me indecisive!!

Depends how thick you want It Tabby...

Sometimes I do a strictly chicken broth and just add diced chicken with some noodles but today I am doing the thicker version for my husband.

I add diced potato's and split peas that I've been soaking overnight for thickening then add carrots, celery, chicken meat, swede and parsnip.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Boil up your bones

Post by LarsMac »

Always.

I will boil the carcass, toss in a few carrots, some celery, a little onion, and let it simmer a while. The strain and freeze it.

Same with ham bone.

then when we want to make some soup or stew, we have a nice broth to start with.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Boil up your bones

LarsMac;1444458 wrote: Always.

I will boil the carcass, toss in a few carrots, some celery, a little onion, and let it simmer a while. The strain and freeze it.

Same with ham bone.

then when we want to make some soup or stew, we have a nice broth to start with.

Good man...

I'm the same and boil up ham bones, beef trimmings, anything.... let all the flavour and goodness go to waste ? Criminal In my book.
theia

Boil up your bones

Post by theia »

Oscar, your thread title sounds like the title of a Stephen King novel...well, to me, anyway :wah:
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Oscar Namechange

Boil up your bones

theia;1444507 wrote: Oscar, your thread title sounds like the title of a Stephen King novel...well, to me, anyway :wah: Now you come to mention It :wah:
Chloe_88

Boil up your bones

Post by Chloe_88 »

oscar;1444442 wrote: So yesterday we had friends for dinner.

Am I the only one who does this ? Surely not ?

Well when no spices/salt is involved, i use the bones and left over bits, boil them up and make a sort of chicken soup for my cats.
theia

Boil up your bones

Post by theia »

Chloe_88;1444520 wrote: Well when no spices/salt is involved, i use the bones and left over bits, boil them up and make a sort of chicken soup for my cats.

I'm clearly losing it...or totally King focused, Chloe. I read your "bits" as "bats."
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
YZGI

Boil up your bones

Post by YZGI »

theia;1444539 wrote: I'm clearly losing it...or totally King focused, Chloe. I read your "bits" as "bats."

I never touched the old bats bits.
Chloe_88

Boil up your bones

Post by Chloe_88 »

theia;1444539 wrote: I'm clearly losing it...or totally King focused, Chloe. I read your "bits" as "bats."

Mmm Never tried bats, might be a bit chewy! :yh_rotfl
along-for-the-ride

Boil up your bones

Post by along-for-the-ride »

You know me...........I couldn't resist. ;)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
theia

Boil up your bones

Post by theia »

along-for-the-ride;1444894 wrote:

You know me...........I couldn't resist. ;)

:wah:

Bat stew? Roasted bat? Bat pâté?
Oscar Namechange

Boil up your bones

along-for-the-ride;1444894 wrote:

You know me...........I couldn't resist. ;) That could be the theme music to the horror flick ' Boil up your bones'.
LarsMac

Boil up your bones

Post by LarsMac »

Chloe_88;1444606 wrote: Mmm Never tried bats, might be a bit chewy! :yh_rotfl

Would be like quail, or crawfish.

It would take a lot of them to make a meal.

Hardly worth all the effort.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “The Coffee Shop”