What kind of coffee do you like best?

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh, I must look into the mill grinder and roaster....never tried that.

I love coffee....grind the beans in the morning so I can smell the aroma of the coffee beans...heavenly!!

I love most French Roasted coffee beans....the darker beans with smoky overtones. Usually buy Arabica beans.

My coffee pot of choice is always a Farberware electric percolator and a Bialetti pot for expresso. Simple, inexpensive pots that always make a good cup of coffee. I also have all the Bodum presses and milk frothers.

I'd like to learn more about coffee and will definitely try roasting them myself and using a mill grinder.

I still like the old fashioned coffees though....Maxwell House, A&P's 8 O'Clock and Folgers at times.

Do you like expresso....if so which brand do you use?

Thanks for info....
-kg-

Post by -kg- »

Well, let's see:

Kathy Ellen;1371358 wrote: Oh, I must look into the mill grinder and roaster....never tried that.

I love coffee....grind the beans in the morning so I can smell the aroma of the coffee beans...heavenly!!

I love most French Roasted coffee beans....the darker beans with smoky overtones. Usually buy Arabica beans.

My coffee pot of choice is always a Farberware electric percolator and a Bialetti pot for expresso. Simple, inexpensive pots that always make a good cup of coffee. I also have all the Bodum presses and milk frothers.

Sounds like quite a setup, and sounds like you really enjoy Espresso and Cappuccino. Of course, that would be evident from your like of French roast and Arabica beans!

A mill grinder can grind to any consistency, but it particularly excels in coarser grinds. I've found it doesn't matter how coarse you set a blade grinder, you just can't get as coarse a grind as with a mill. It is particularly good for a French Press, in which the coffee is added to the water and screened out with a fine screen wire, but is good for a percolator, as well.

The only thing about a mill is, it is much slower than a blade grinder. Whereas the blade grinder will grind a batch in a few seconds, the mill will take several minutes.

Kathy Ellen;1371358 wrote: I'd like to learn more about coffee and will definitely try roasting them myself and using a mill grinder.

Go to the link in my post above. That site has a wealth of information on the subject, and naturally there is a wealth of information on the subject elsewhere on the 'net. They also have roasters available at a variety of prices, as well as mill grinders and other equipment. Oh yes...and a wide variety of beans! :p

Kathy Ellen;1371358 wrote: Do you like expresso....if so which brand do you use?

No, though I've tried Espresso (I had a couple of shots some years back while down in Miami), I'm not particularly fond of it. I like the standard roasts (Full City+ is as dark as I like to go), and prefer a standard "cup of Joe."

Kathy Ellen;1371358 wrote: Thanks for info....

You're very welcome! I'm a coffee fanatic, and when I came across this thread, well...nature took its course! :wah:
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

-kg-;1371365 wrote: Well, let's see:

Sounds like quite a setup, and sounds like you really enjoy Espresso and Cappuccino. Of course, that would be evident from your like of French roast and Arabica beans!

A mill grinder can grind to any consistency, but it particularly excels in coarser grinds. I've found it doesn't matter how coarse you set a blade grinder, you just can't get as coarse a grind as with a mill. It is particularly good for a French Press, in which the coffee is added to the water and screened out with a fine screen wire, but is good for a percolator, as well.

The only thing about a mill is, it is much slower than a blade grinder. Whereas the blade grinder will grind a batch in a few seconds, the mill will take several minutes.

Go to the link in my post above. That site has a wealth of information on the subject, and naturally there is a wealth of information on the subject elsewhere on the 'net. They also have roasters available at a variety of prices, as well as mill grinders and other equipment. Oh yes...and a wide variety of beans! :p

No, though I've tried Espresso (I had a couple of shots some years back while down in Miami), I'm not particularly fond of it. I like the standard roasts (Full City+ is as dark as I like to go), and prefer a standard "cup of Joe."

You're very welcome! I'm a coffee fanatic, and when I came across this thread, well...nature took its course! :wah:

Ahhhhh, it's nice to have another coffee drinker here. I just started liking expresso recently. It's a nice treat in the pm, but I make it a bit weaker and just may add a wee bit of Kahlua to it....yummy.

Thanks for all the info, and it's nice to meet ya!!

-kg-

Post by -kg- »

:yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl

I LOVE that penguin!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

-kg-;1371376 wrote: :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl

I LOVE that penguin!

The little bugger is on the beach every day begging for coffee...so I left him a big mug !!

jallytony

Post by jallytony »

golden11;1306240 wrote: What kind of coffee do you like best?

I like either sugar or cream in my coffee.

i like coffee without sugar,the bitter,the better..
Randolph

Post by Randolph »

i like Strong coffee... with sugar...
Vaishali

Post by Vaishali »

Hmm.. me too,

My favorite coffee is also black coffee or strong I like to prefer.
stacyjmes1

Post by stacyjmes1 »

I love Coffee with cardamom. :)
phiferindia

Post by phiferindia »

I like hot coffee but with sugar... Apt to dring during Winter season...!!! Very much helpful to relief from headache, cold and fever.
Environment friendly [link removed do not put it back] from phiferindia
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Hot and black. No nonsense. Drove up to a drive-up window of a coffee shop one morning and ordered a coffee, black, no sugar. Girl told me they didn't serve that kind of coffee. WTF?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

hoppy;1448393 wrote: Hot and black. No nonsense. Drove up to a drive-up window of a coffee shop one morning and ordered a coffee, black, no sugar. Girl told me they didn't serve that kind of coffee. WTF?

Just how I drink it - over here they call it an Americano
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

golden11;1306240 wrote: What kind of coffee do you like best?

I like whatever we're drinking at home. For the past few years it's been LIDL Gold, but I can get used to just about any coffee and think it's better than anything anyone else is serving.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

hoppy;1448393 wrote: ..... ordered a coffee, black, no sugar. Girl told me they didn't serve that kind of coffee. WTF?

Must have been KKK country.
bungabuket

Post by bungabuket »

I like black coffee and sugar
[signature removed]
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Mind you, I'm not so sure about "A slice of onion" in my coffee.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1471814 wrote: Mind you, I'm not so sure about "A slice of onion" in my coffee.

Not without a dollop of Coleman's anyway. :D

But what an odd coincidence! When I was living in the U.S. .... Albuquerque, NM ....... I used to have my huevos rancheros breakfast every morning cross the road from UNM. During that hour or so a fellow called Prince Bobby Jack would pop in with his face done up and his hair fixed and a flashy suit of clothes. He was a part-time member of the Ink Spots "back in the day". Anyway, he always had a cup of coffee to which he added several drams of whisky from a flask he kept in his inside pocket. No joke. It's true.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

High Threshold;1471872 wrote: Not without a dollop of Coleman's anyway. :D

But what an odd coincidence! When I was living in the U.S. .... Albuquerque, NM ....... I used to have my huevos rancheros breakfast every morning cross the road from UNM. During that hour or so a fellow called Prince Bobby Jack would pop in with his face done up and his hair fixed and a flashy suit of clothes. He was a part-time member of the Ink Spots "back in the day". Anyway, he always had a cup of coffee to which he added several drams of whisky from a flask he kept in his inside pocket. No joke. It's true.
No problem with that. After all, that's essentially the basis of Irish Coffee - without the cream.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1471877 wrote: No problem with that. After all, that's essentially the basis of Irish Coffee - without the cream.

:wah::wah::wah:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

FourPart;1471877 wrote: No problem with that. After all, that's essentially the basis of Irish Coffee - without the cream.

Irish coffee !!!! I love Irish coffee - we make it occasionally with percolated ground coffee poured on top of a measure of Tia Maria liqueur and fresh cream gently poured over a teaspoon onto the black coffee. De-flippin-licious !!! :D

Usually we have fresh ground percolated coffee (strength 4) with warmed milk and demerara sugar to taste, and that is delicious, but not as delicious as the Irish coffee above, which is had just as a treat on rare occasions. :)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

All this talk of Irish coffee and other concoctions has given me a hankering for hot-buttered rum. It's winter here ya' know!
MaskReedy

Post by MaskReedy »

Black coffee is my favorite!
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

MaskReedy;1475233 wrote: Black coffee is my favorite!

In a large cup or a small one?
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Black and in a mug.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1475240 wrote: In a large cup or a small one?

Yes.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Vera

Post by Vera »

I like a strong coffe with milk (no sugar)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

In Miami, they serve Cafe con Leche

Yes, that translates basically to Coffee with milk.

But it is so much MORE than just coffee with milk.

They start with Sugar Cane, and crush it to extract the juice, and put the juice in a cup. Then, a nice espresso stirred in, and finish with steamed Milk, Cappuccino style.

Nectar of the Gods, it is.
- DH Lawrence
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Years ago I was on a lengthy trip through Mexico with some wealthy friends who stopped at many good restaurants but I couldn't get a cup of American coffee. They would bring out instant coffee granules, possibly because of the water situation there. We stopped at one of my friend's brother's home, who was a colonel in the Mexican army, living in a barricaded compound. He had several servants and sure enough on the first morning his cook brought out the instant coffee with a pot of hot water for my breakfast. My friends promised me that when we got to Vera Cruz I would get a cup of "real" coffee.

First thing when we rolled into town they took me to a huge restaurant at the water's edge and I ordered a cup of coffee. It was black, American coffee, but as I was sipping, I noticed about 40 other diners clanging their spoons on their glass mugs. I asked my friends why they were doing this. They didn't know. Then as I observed this clamor I saw one waiter rush over to one of the clangers and slosh something dark in his mug. Then the clanging sent a signal to a second waiter who rushed over and sloshed something white into the mug. Then I realized what they were doing. I ordered "some of that." And it was, as LarsMac said, "Nectar of the Gods."
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I used to love real Percolated Coffee (as opposed to Filter Coffee, which works on a similar principle). To those of you who have never come across a real percolator, it is basically a metal jug, with a glass lid. Inside there is a tube, a bit like an inverted funnel. This goes through a strainer where the grounds are placed. It is then placed on the gas, where as the water heats it is perced up through the tube, through the grounds (just like a filter machine). However, the longer you leave it, the stronger it gets, as it continues to get squirted through the grounds. You could even top it up with water after having a couple of cups & keep it going with the same grounds for quite a while.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1496289 wrote: I used to love real Percolated Coffee (as opposed to Filter Coffee, which works on a similar principle). To those of you who have never come across a real percolator, it is basically a metal jug, with a glass lid. Inside there is a tube, a bit like an inverted funnel. This goes through a strainer where the grounds are placed. It is then placed on the gas, where as the water heats it is perced up through the tube, through the grounds (just like a filter machine). However, the longer you leave it, the stronger it gets, as it continues to get squirted through the grounds. You could even top it up with water after having a couple of cups & keep it going with the same grounds for quite a while.

I still have a percolator pot. A couple, actually. One is an old electric percolators, made some time in the 30s, and an old aluminum stove top that my parents got as a wedding present, and used until Dad bought a Sunbeam Electric Percolator when I was a young'un.

I actually prefer the French Press, these days.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I second (or third) the yummy review of cafe con leche. There is a Cuban restaurant about 5 miles away that serves it and does a great job.
fitbill

Post by fitbill »

Black, no sugar at all .. just the taste of the coffee ..
Physical fitness, health and wellness - Find the right motivation in life
JEAGER

Post by JEAGER »

Gevalia Traditional roast.

Dash of milk or cream.
spot

Post by spot »

Gevalia is the largest coffee roastery in Scandinavia. In North America, the company sells coffee directly to consumers via home delivery.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
barrykid

Post by barrykid »

I like flat white or iced coffee. Has anyone here tried a Kopi Luwak or civet coffee?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

barrykid;1511221 wrote: I like flat white or iced coffee. Has anyone here tried a Kopi Luwak or civet coffee?

No on the lewak thing. Though my neighbor in Arkansas used to feed green coffee beans to his Midget Pig, and get kind of the same thing. I didn't much care for it. Dunkin is better.
- DH Lawrence
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

barrykid;1511221 wrote: I like flat white or iced coffee. Has anyone here tried a Kopi Luwak or civet coffee?

My granddaughter lives in Manila and she tried civet coffee. Said it was pretty good. Different. A little too different for me, I think. She toured a coffee plantation and saw the process.

From Wiki:

The costliest coffee on earth has a humble proletarian beginning. As folklore has it, civet coffee, or kopi luwak in Indonesian, was discovered by plantation workers in colonized Indonesia. Forbidden from consuming coffee beans picked from the plants, they picked up, cleaned and then roasted the beans excreted by wild Asian palm civets that entered the plantations to eat the ripest coffee cherries. The civets’ digestive systems gave kopi luwak a uniquely rich aroma and smooth, rounded flavor — so much so that the Dutch plantation owners soon became die-hard fans.
spot

Post by spot »

What baffles me is this tendency for English speaking countries to order coffee using foreign words that foreigners themselves don't recognize as descriptive of coffee. Where does this need to insist on "Americano" as a label for watered espresso come from? What twat thought it was clever the first time it was done in an English-speaking setting, and why has it become ubiquitous? What language are these imbecile labels in anyway? I don't want a watered espresso if all I want at that moment is any form of coffee which has no milk in it. If I want a coffee with cold milk added I'll ask for a coffee with cold milk added. That is not, apparently, a "latte", in which the milk has to be added hot and the coffee wrecked in consequence. What mindless deviant even thought up the recipe much less the label for that? I will not do it. I do not do it. I am the coffee shop assistant's nightmare when it comes to coffee. I ask for a translation of the list and then instantly forget what I hear. I can think of no other sales category where ordering in foreign is mandatory. The entire practice is bogus. I refuse to participate. I tend these days to order "filter coffee with cold milk added" which seems unambiguous and invariably leads to an unwanted discussion about the coffee menu. It doesn't help that my version of politeness falls short of other people's standards.

I'm headed to Naples in a few hours where I'll happily order ristretto at a street table, since I'll be in a place where English is not the native language (though it may be a lingua franca there, I have yet to discover that bit) and ristretto is the proper word for what I'll want to order. It is not the proper word for what I want to order if I'm in Bristol.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1511225 wrote: What baffles me is this tendency for English speaking countries to order coffee using foreign words that foreigners themselves don't recognize as descriptive of coffee. Where does this need to insist on "Americano" as a label for watered espresso come from? What twat thought it was clever the first time it was done in an English-speaking setting, and why has it become ubiquitous? What language are these imbecile labels in anyway? I don't want a watered espresso if all I want at that moment is any form of coffee which has no milk in it. If I want a coffee with cold milk added I'll ask for a coffee with cold milk added. That is not, apparently, a "latte", in which the milk has to be added hot and the coffee wrecked in consequence. What mindless deviant even thought up the recipe much less the label for that? I will not do it. I do not do it. I am the coffee shop assistant's nightmare when it comes to coffee. I ask for a translation of the list and then instantly forget what I hear. I can think of no other sales category where ordering in foreign is mandatory. The entire practice is bogus. I refuse to participate. I tend these days to order "filter coffee with cold milk added" which seems unambiguous and invariably leads to an unwanted discussion about the coffee menu. It doesn't help that my version of politeness falls short of other people's standards.

I'm headed to Naples in a few hours where I'll happily order ristretto at a street table, since I'll be in a place where English is not the native language (though it may be a lingua franca there, I have yet to discover that bit) and ristretto is the proper word for what I'll want to order. It is not the proper word for what I want to order if I'm in Bristol.

You'll pay double sitting at a table in Italy lol if you want to act like the natives you order it at the bar and stand, generally a double shot and down it in one marching off again within minutes.

The thing about americano, espresso, cappuccino and latte is that they are universally recognised labels for ordering coffee anywhere. Not many places have filter coffee on the go anymore as it tends to stew and the majority want freshly ground and brewed coffee. I can't stand filter coffee.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Tea. :)

Only drink coffee if I need an instant caffeine WHAM. It's the difference between massage and WWE. ;)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

Post by spot »

The good news is that my case is now packed, including the essential caffeine tablets.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Giving something a foreign name has always been a way of marketing a product at a premium rate. For instance, if you go into a fancy restaurant & order "Pudding aux Raisins a la Creme Anglais", you can be sure of paying far more than ordering Spotted Dick with Custard at the corner cafe - and, most likely, with much smaller portions.

As for coffee - our staff handbook at work actually has the phrase "Utilita Say... A yawn is a silent scream for coffee" - free vend coffee machines throughout the building (with real beans).

At home I either use my filter machine, or more lately, a single cup sized cafetiere. I only ever have my coffee black, with no sugar. I like to taste the coffee, and nothing but the coffee.
drifter

Post by drifter »

I usually buy coffee beans from different sources.I f buying my coffee in the grocery store, I get Dunkin if they have beans. If not I can drink Folgers Breakfast blends which are light roasted.
Bondarcol

Post by Bondarcol »

I most love 100% Arabica

Return to “The Coffee Shop”