A Request To All English Members of Forum Garden.

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Citizeness Oscar informed me in an earlier thread she duplicated that: "sorry JJ but many don't look at your threads."

Even so I'm holding thumbs that maybe one or two or three English members will read this and maybe offer me some assistance.

The novel I am currently working on is set in a village outside London. It is a contemporary story with the two main characters, male & female, aged twenty five. They live at home and their families are upper middle class and they work & spend a lot of the time in London.

What I need to know is this:

a) What slang words do young English men and women of this age use today?

b) What do they do for fun in their spare time?

c) If they have a car, what size, make and model will it be?

d) Any other information that may help me.

I promise to give anyone who helps me a signed copy of the novel if and when it is published.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to be counted among those who do "look at my threads."

Thanx so much.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

To clarify.... I did not duplicate your thread.

I was Informed by an old member here that a friend In our circle had died.

I started a new thread just In case some members who knew Carol had not looked In your thread.

If your looking for a common English slang word.... try ' Wanker'
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

oscar;1443515 wrote: To clarify.... I did not duplicate your thread.

I started a new thread just In case some members who knew Carol had not looked In your thread.

I expected nothing less from you and you have not disappointed me ...
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Oscar Namechange

jones jones;1443516 wrote: I expected nothing less from you and you have not disappointed me ... Oh good... I can't bear disapointment.

Happy New Year Chosen One XXXXX
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I look at your threads JJ. I may not have anything to say in them but I enjoy your quirkiness, good luck with the novel. :)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I'm not sure how anybody can know who does or does not read another's thread, unless of course they sit on that thread with the bottom of the page visible where it informs readers who is reading that thread at that time. This would have to be a 24/7 occupation so I'm not sure when the observer would get any sleep ! tut ! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl :thinking: :lips:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Oscar Namechange

G#Gill;1443524 wrote: I'm not sure how anybody can know who does or does not read another's thread, unless of course they sit on that thread with the bottom of the page visible where it informs readers who is reading that thread at that time. This would have to be a 24/7 occupation so I'm not sure when the observer would get any sleep ! tut ! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl :thinking: :lips:

Because I can name two right here who have Jones on Ignore.... not that I'd say who... I'm too much of a ****ing lady.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I had the same reaction as you to what oscar said, jj, but I find her to be a lot of fun, so I didn't want to bring it up. Maybe I should have, sorry (in the nicest way of course!).
Oscar Namechange

Tosser.... That's another English slang word.

But when In polite company I prefer Bellend.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I think we all know those words, oscar. I think he wants to know not the 'classics', but what is current right now.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

oscar;1443515 wrote: To clarify.... I did not duplicate your thread.

Ere Mrs. Oscar I'm not that owd yer know, so don't insinuate that I'm some sort of owd 'ag ! :-5 I've already mentioned to Mr. Snowfire about respecting elders and betters and that I'm wochin' you two, sooooo be advised ! :( :p ................:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

AnneBoleyn;1443534 wrote: I think we all know those words, oscar. I think he wants to know not the 'classics', but what is current right now.

Blaad Claat

Bumbu

Chi-chi

Hoochie

Punani
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

G#Gill;1443536 wrote: Ere Mrs. Oscar I'm not that owd yer know, so don't insinuate that I'm some sort of owd 'ag ! :-5 I've already mentioned to Mr. Snowfire about respecting elders and betters and that I'm wochin' you two, sooooo be advised ! :( :p ................:yh_rotfl

I know my place
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

The working class buy their clothes at Primani (primark....very cheap. Armani...not)

Things can be Phat, Ream (Good)

Food can be Munch

Clothes can be Crisp

but mostly preceded by "well"

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Youth slang In UK

Ting

Brah

Yolo

Bounce

Hench

Dench

Swag

Peng

Legend

Jarring

Boom

Blemboss

Owned

Top 14 teenage slang translations according to Mumsnet users | Metro News

Can't wait for the book Jones
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

jones jones;1443508 wrote:

What I need to know is this:

a) What slang words do young English men and women of this age use today?

b) What do they do for fun in their spare time?

c) If they have a car, what size, make and model will it be?

d) Any other information that may help me.

I promise to give anyone who helps me a signed copy of the novel if and when it is published.

(A)UK Slang.....spoken with an "Estuary" accent (a cross between London and West Indian patois)

(B)Spare time I thought you would know that.

(C)Top selling cars

(D) Research Here

Not a problem, just a small credit,no signed copy required, just to put you on the right path is my only aim.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Trouble is I'm neither 25 nor upper middle class, so I'm going by my grandaughters parlance

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

G#Gill;1443536 wrote: Ere Mrs. Oscar I'm not that owd yer know, so don't insinuate that I'm some sort of owd 'ag I meant Kazalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

oscar;1443533 wrote: Tosser.... That's another English slang word.

But when In polite company I prefer Bellend.

As I posted on FB, I was a little shocked when Elementary used the word 'bellend'. I suspect the censors had no idea what it meant.

And I'm one of the people here that doesn't usually read Jones' threads.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Can you watch Youtube? if so take a look at 'Made in Chelsea', that will give you an idea of the toff's in London and that's what the upper middle classes will be aspiring to be.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Really interesting words going on there.

Some words sound really cool which I would love to introduce here.

I'll do my part to bridge the pond.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop;1443551 wrote: Can you watch Youtube? if so take a look at 'Made in Chelsea', that will give you an idea of the toff's in London and that's what the upper middle classes will be aspiring to be.
Toffs Yes... but slang JJ would be better watching T.O.W.I.E

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

It would seem that this young couple do not have children yet ? So maybe they are Dinky's ? Double income no kids yet :wah: Ain't the faintest what car they'd have, except maybe one that looked trendy but could carry a decent amount of shopping as they would no doubt have to do a large weekly shop at the weekend. I would also think that they would travel into London by train. You say 'upper middle class' well now the 'posh' one who may have been able to help you is unfortunately no longer with us !

Perhaps it would be a good idea to obtain a book entitled "Fraffly Suite" ? Or maybe check your local library - the book will amuse you at any rate !

The link below could be quite useful, as there is a list of 100 top phrases - I do recognise a lot of them which are in regular use by teens and twenties all over the country. :)

Top 100 Most Beautiful British Slang Words and Phrases - Guide to English Slang - Anglotopia.net

All the best with your book Jj ;)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Snowfire;1443539 wrote: The working class buy their clothes at Primani (primark....very cheap. Armani...not)

Things can be Phat, Ream (Good)

Food can be Munch

Clothes can be Crisp

but mostly preceded by "well"

:yh_rotfl Ere Snowfire, you've bin wochin' Catherine Tate mate ! She's well bad innit !

:yh_rotfl
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

oscar;1443559 wrote: Toffs Yes... but slang JJ would be better watching T.O.W.I.E

Joey, James & Arg Chat About Losing Virginity - The Only Way Is Essex - YouTube

Yes, toffs they aspire to be, they won't be aspiring to be essex louts and they won't use the slang in the same common way.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

oscar;1443547 wrote: [QUOTE=G#Gill;1443536]Ere Mrs. Oscar I'm not that owd yer know, so don't insinuate that I'm some sort of owd 'ag /QUOTE] I meant Kazalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala

Well she's flamin' younger than me !!!!!!!!! so for 'I'm' insert 'Kaz' or 'she's' as appropriate........ Okay ? :p
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop;1443563 wrote: Yes, toffs they aspire to be, they won't be aspiring to be essex louts and they won't use the slang in the same common way.
No-where In JJ's OP does he say they are aspiring to be toffs.

What he says Is :

"The novel I am currently working on is set in a village outside London. It is a contemporary story with the two main characters, male & female, aged twenty five. They live at home and their families are upper middle class and they work & spend a lot of the time in London."

Essex Is just outside London and TOWIE's are not louts. They come from middle upper class families with money. Most TOWIE's or their parents work In London.

For his research, TOWIE Is more what he's looking for than Sloane Rangers.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Carol would probably have agreed with you there, as she was a cockney living in Essex.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Seems you have a good selection of answers, so I'd just like to point out that having the words is only half of it - using them in the right context is the other half and imo much more difficult. The best way I can think of to do that short of coming over here for a year or two while you write is to absolutely immerse yourself in as much British tv and radio as you can find until it starts sounding normal to you. Then you might have a chance of writing in a convincing vernacular.

Good luck!
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

oscar;1443567 wrote: No-where In JJ's OP does he say they are aspiring to be toffs.

What he says Is :

"The novel I am currently working on is set in a village outside London. It is a contemporary story with the two main characters, male & female, aged twenty five. They live at home and their families are upper middle class and they work & spend a lot of the time in London."

Essex Is just outside London and TOWIE's are not louts. They come from middle upper class families with money. Most TOWIE's or their parents work In London.

For his research, TOWIE Is more what he's looking for than Sloane Rangers.

Upper middle class will be aspiring to better themselves by the example set by 'Made in Chelsea' not by the example of TOWIE's who are not upper middle class at all:

the show represents an image of 'working class people bettering themselves and still being tasteless.'

The Only Way is Essex and the demonisation of the working class | Mail Online

So not at all a good recommendation for JJ to base his characters on. Made in Chelsea, albeit an exaggeration of the toff's lives, gives a far better idea of what upper middle classes may be striving towards. After all, no one wants to intentionally take themselves down a class level do they.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

To everyone who made a positive reply to this thread a great big thank you. I now have a good idea of the where, what, how and who.

Also a big thanx to the two bashful members who did not participate on the thread but who sent me a private message instead.

Return to “Poetry Writing Forum”