Baby Mockingbird Found - HELP

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.
FlatBlob

Post by FlatBlob »

My friend and I recently recovered a baby mockingbird. He had a deformed Beak (gnarled and lower jaw moved to one side slightly) and can't fly. Although not a complete hatchling, this bird cannot yet fly.

We have NO idea what to do, and all the humane societies/animal centers are closed/disconnected numbers/don't take birds.

Help?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FlatBlob;593759 wrote: My friend and I recently recovered a baby mockingbird. He had a deformed Beak (gnarled and lower jaw moved to one side slightly) and can't fly. Although not a complete hatchling, this bird cannot yet fly.

We have NO idea what to do, and all the humane societies/animal centers are closed/disconnected numbers/don't take birds.

Help?

When my daughter found a baby pipstrielle bat we contacted the local wildlife park who took it in and looked after it.
FlatBlob

Post by FlatBlob »

Bryn Mawr;593763 wrote: When my daughter found a baby pipstrielle bat we contacted the local wildlife park who took it in and looked after it.

We don't have a wildlife park too near here, but I can't imagine there's one to far out...
Ciao, Bella!

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

If you don't mind the long distance charges, call B.E.A.K.S., in Jax. Fl.

They should be able to give you some suggestions about what to feed it. The number is: 904-251-2473.

Also, is there a zoo near you? Sometimes they'll take in such cases. For now, if you can get some worms, or crickets, try that.

Good luck!
FlatBlob

Post by FlatBlob »

Ciao, Bella!;593781 wrote: If you don't mind the long distance charges, call B.E.A.K.S., in Jax. Fl.

They should be able to give you some suggestions about what to feed it. The number is: 904-251-2473.

Also, is there a zoo near you? Sometimes they'll take in such cases. For now, if you can get some worms, or crickets, try that.

Good luck!

*Stands up and screams*

Of course - crickets!

I forgot:-5 thank you!
Ciao, Bella!

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

You're welcome. Let us know how it works out.

And, do try B.E.A.K.S., they are a great group who help care for injured birds, mainly wild seashore ones, but will help with any feathered friend.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

This might help.

I AM AWESOME MAN
zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

They're pretty good on toast with a few capers..
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
zenda7

Post by zenda7 »

I've raised many baby birds, and the best thing you can do is get some dry catfood, soak it for a couple of minutes but don't let it get mushy, and feed them with it. Don't use a toothpick or anything to stick it in the mouth, just put a piece on your finger and gently open the beak and push in gently. They thrive on it.

Don't feed worms exclusively, the baby will develop a deficiency on a single-food diet. The catfood (the tiny little doughnut kind) is highly nutritious and has the benefit of the added moisture. The baby will probably need feeding every couple of hours, except late at night, and starting again at dawn.

Crickets might be too much as the bird mother will strip any hard bits off before feeding.

Return to “Pet Advice Support”