House smells

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
buttercup

House smells

Post by buttercup »

Does your house smell? If it does do you notice it or just presume it smells due to what happens within it.

I'm a smoker so presume it smells of smoke to some degree but dont notice it as i'm quite psychotic about opening windows ect.

I have 3 dogs so presume it smells to some degree of dog but i dont notice it, i constantly hoover, polish and spray neatradol ect.

Now given that i clean as much as i do i would say my house probably smells lovely to other smokers and dog owners but if you have never smoked or had a pet, maybe my house stinks :thinking:
minks

House smells

Post by minks »

Depends on the time of year. My house smells somewhat stale in the winter due to keeping windows and doors closed tight, and owning 2 dogs.

Come warmer weather I open as many windows as possible and it smells fresh. Unless one or the other of my pooch's has an untimely accident.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Bill Sikes

House smells

Post by Bill Sikes »

buttercup;1199275 wrote: Does your house smell? If it does do you notice it : thinking:

Yes, yes, where now. Cooking, compost, soap, kindling, musty, food, wood smoke, over-ripe stuff, fermenting, washing, antiquities, engine components, ozone, more toiletries, potatoes, chocolate, onions, loo smells, bleach, outside, flowers, honey, cabbage... all sorts of stuff. I like it.
hoppy

House smells

Post by hoppy »

An old gal pal used to brew coffee several times a day. She had one of those single cup coffee makers. She didn't drink the stuff, just loved the way it smelled and made the house smell. When I started seeing her, I got her a case of coffee and a bigger coffeemaker because I drank it lots. Good ole' days, those.
Victoria

House smells

Post by Victoria »

Everybodys house smells, it smells of them and thier way of life.

I love the fact that I can almost tell where I am just by the smell.

Of course there are places that just smell of dirt and sweat and thats nasty, but normally I think its nice that we all have our own 'my home' smell.
kazalala

House smells

Post by kazalala »

Its funny.. my daughter can be quite obsessive about smells ,, even when he was little ,, my heart used to sink if we walked in to anyones house that had a smell,, and it could be just a smell of cooking,,, or washing etc,, but my daughter always hold her nose and say oh it smells here!!!:yh_rotfl now she attributes smell to places and times,,, certain smells remind her of places and holidays,, other times she will say oh that smells like my nana,, or this smell reminds me of aunty julies house:-3:yh_rotfl

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Oscar Namechange

House smells

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I have to admit, i'm slightly paranoid about my house smelling. It's very difficult to smell your own house. When my elder brother visits, i always ask him and he will be bruatlly honest with me.

I have 3 dogs of which two are getting old and smelly despite regular baths and two cats. The cats are Persian and i can not let them outside to roam for fear of them getting stolen so a cat litter tray in the house is essential although i hate it.

I find air fresners just mask smells but the plug in's i find very good.

I put bi carb of soda in the cat litter tray to absorb smells and every day i open all the windows what ever the weather both ends of the bungalow to get a blow through effect. Even in winter, our front door is mostly wide open as the dogs do like to come and go to woof at people at the gate.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Peg

House smells

Post by Peg »

After finding a huge snake skin last week, my husband put mothballs every where. He thinks they will repel snakes and spiders. Although not the best smell in the world, it makes me think of my grandmother. :-4 Anything, such as a newspaper article, etc. that she wanted to save, she would wrap in a brown paper bag, tie it with string, add mothballs, wrap it in plastic, tie it with string, add mothballs, until there was around 3 or 4 layers. Her apartment always smelled of mothballs.
Odie

House smells

Post by Odie »

buttercup;1199275 wrote: Does your house smell? If it does do you notice it or just presume it smells due to what happens within it.

I'm a smoker so presume it smells of smoke to some degree but dont notice it as i'm quite psychotic about opening windows ect.

I have 3 dogs so presume it smells to some degree of dog but i dont notice it, i constantly hoover, polish and spray neatradol ect.

Now given that i clean as much as i do i would say my house probably smells lovely to other smokers and dog owners but if you have never smoked or had a pet, maybe my house stinks :thinking:

I use a pet deodorizer/cleaner on the carpet, and make sure the 2 litters are always cleaned and debris is take outside to the green bin.

I must have my windows open, just love the fresh air and sound sounds of the birds...........and it helps get rid of the smoke smell from smoking.
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

House smells

Carpets are the worst for harbouring cat and dog smell. Two years ago, i had all mine ripped up and replaced with slate quarry tiles. The best thing i ever did. All i have to do now is sweep and mop with disenfectant.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
qsducks

House smells

Post by qsducks »

kazalala;1199475 wrote: Its funny.. my daughter can be quite obsessive about smells ,, even when he was little ,, my heart used to sink if we walked in to anyones house that had a smell,, and it could be just a smell of cooking,,, or washing etc,, but my daughter always hold her nose and say oh it smells here!!!:yh_rotfl now she attributes smell to places and times,,, certain smells remind her of places and holidays,, other times she will say oh that smells like my nana,, or this smell reminds me of aunty julies house:-3:yh_rotfl
Yes certain smells like food remind me of my grandmother, especially roasted potatoes & ham.

oscar;1199513 wrote: I have to admit, i'm slightly paranoid about my house smelling. It's very difficult to smell your own house. When my elder brother visits, i always ask him and he will be bruatlly honest with me.

I have 3 dogs of which two are getting old and smelly despite regular baths and two cats. The cats are Persian and i can not let them outside to roam for fear of them getting stolen so a cat litter tray in the house is essential although i hate it.

I find air fresners just mask smells but the plug in's i find very good.

I put bi carb of soda in the cat litter tray to absorb smells and every day i open all the windows what ever the weather both ends of the bungalow to get a blow through effect. Even in winter, our front door is mostly wide open as the dogs do like to come and go to woof at people at the gate.
My sister has two cats & I'm always telling her "clean out the litter box"...stinks like cat shyte in here:wah:. Windows are always open in the spring all the way into the fall, but I do keep the front door open all year round unless it snows.
Odie

House smells

Post by Odie »

I'd never put tiles in a living room, just not a cozy/ warm feeling.

hardwood or laminate.......definitely.

I have the carpet shampooed every two months, so there is never any cat smells, and I take a brush daily and remove the fur..so easy and comfy looking.:guitarist:guitarist
Odie

House smells

Post by Odie »

minks;1199299 wrote: Depends on the time of year. My house smells somewhat stale in the winter due to keeping windows and doors closed tight, and owning 2 dogs.

Come warmer weather I open as many windows as possible and it smells fresh. Unless one or the other of my pooch's has an untimely accident.

every house smells of something Minks.

at my friends its stinks downstairs as they need a de-humidifier in the winter to get rid of that damp stink..but those are also very expensive and expensive to run.
Sunshine

House smells

Post by Sunshine »

I have a dog and two smokers here. I am constantly using Fabreeze to freshen the drapes and furniture and I shampoo the carpets myself at least once a month. It's gastly when I do the windows. All of the smoking makes the windows have a yellow film on them. That reminds me, they are due again now that the weather is better and I can get outside and do them properly.
qsducks

House smells

Post by qsducks »

Sunshine;1199655 wrote: I have a dog and two smokers here. I am constantly using Fabreeze to freshen the drapes and furniture and I shampoo the carpets myself at least once a month. It's gastly when I do the windows. All of the smoking makes the windows have a yellow film on them. That reminds me, they are due again now that the weather is better and I can get outside and do them properly.

Gawd I hear you there Sunshine. Just did my front door...it was disgusting.:lips:
minks

House smells

Post by minks »

Peg;1199517 wrote: After finding a huge snake skin last week, my husband put mothballs every where. He thinks they will repel snakes and spiders. Although not the best smell in the world, it makes me think of my grandmother. :-4 Anything, such as a newspaper article, etc. that she wanted to save, she would wrap in a brown paper bag, tie it with string, add mothballs, wrap it in plastic, tie it with string, add mothballs, until there was around 3 or 4 layers. Her apartment always smelled of mothballs.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo really in your house??????????

― Mae West
farmer giles

House smells

Post by farmer giles »

i can honestly say my house never smells :):)

it cant it has no nostrils :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Odie

House smells

Post by Odie »

Sunshine;1199655 wrote: I have a dog and two smokers here. I am constantly using Fabreeze to freshen the drapes and furniture and I shampoo the carpets myself at least once a month. It's gastly when I do the windows. All of the smoking makes the windows have a yellow film on them. That reminds me, they are due again now that the weather is better and I can get outside and do them properly.

oh great, you had to remind me!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

the indoor windows I hate! to many panes!:-5:-5:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

outdoor, simple..........throw some soap on, hose them down!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
ZAP

House smells

Post by ZAP »

I burn scented candles a lot, among other things. I recently bought a Himalayan salt lamp that's supposed to take bad things out of the air and put good things into it. Very therapeutic.
Odie

House smells

Post by Odie »

Zapata;1199744 wrote: I burn scented candles a lot, among other things. I recently bought a Himalayan salt lamp that's supposed to take bad things out of the air and put good things into it. Very therapeutic.

Yankee candles are good but just for smell.

for the therapeutic, those are awesome!:guitarist:guitarist:guitarist:guitarist
minks

House smells

Post by minks »

I burn incense often.

― Mae West
Odie

House smells

Post by Odie »

minks;1199753 wrote: I burn incense often.

those are also fab!

I can't..........cats here!:-5:-5:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
minks

House smells

Post by minks »

Odie;1199756 wrote: those are also fab!

I can't..........cats here!:-5:-5:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Here is my fave kind.

Attached files

― Mae West
Odie

House smells

Post by Odie »

minks;1199766 wrote: Here is my fave kind.

used to always use incense, awesome aroma, beats any candle any day!

totally different aroma!
Peg

House smells

Post by Peg »

minks;1199693 wrote: Noooooooooooooooooooooooo really in your house??????????

We bought this house around 3 years ago. On the back, is a shed-like room. Hubby finally decided to clean it, and suprise! :wah:
Peg

House smells

Post by Peg »

I have a liquid potpourri burner. I love the mulberry or apple-cinnamon.
Clodhopper

House smells

Post by Clodhopper »

All houses smell. Tells you who lives there. I was brought up with Newfoundlands, so....:wah:

Mine can't be too bad, since I rent rooms.:)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
ZAP

House smells

Post by ZAP »

Minks, that's my favorite too! I have body lotion (Nag Champa & Patchouli) that is wonderful. reminds me I have to order some more. Have you tried burning frankencense and myrrh? My daughter gave me some crystals that you burn and they are wonderful! Great for getting rid of odors like in the laundry room.
qsducks

House smells

Post by qsducks »

Yankee candles are a must in all four seasons...currently I have Honeysuckle...:-4
Odie

House smells

Post by Odie »

Zapata;1199818 wrote: Minks, that's my favorite too! I have body lotion (Nag Champa & Patchouli) that is wonderful. reminds me I have to order some more. Have you tried burning frankencense and myrrh? My daughter gave me some crystals that you burn and they are wonderful! Great for getting rid of odors like in the laundry room.

great idea, the laundry room!:-5:-5
Victoria

House smells

Post by Victoria »

Not to put a damper on things but...

Ive gone off incense after I saw how young girls ofter work terribly long hours in awful conditions exposing themselves to clouds of the dust which fills thier lungs just to produce the incense we like to burn.

I now buy oil diffusers which I get from a fair trade shop in town.

that way I know whoever made the thing I buy got paid a decent wage for it and in decent conditions.
Kathy Ellen

House smells

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I place a bowl of plain, white vinegar anywhere there is an unpleasant smell, and the smell disappears:)

Here's a good site for getting rid of any kind of odor;)

how to get rid of odors with vinegar - Bing
ZAP

House smells

Post by ZAP »

Thanks for posting that, Kathy. Vinegars' good!
qsducks

House smells

Post by qsducks »

My house will be smelling like pizza...yes...finally we ordered my fave pizza....I have my aluminum foil ready for hiding pizza in the freezer.:wah:
Kathy Ellen

House smells

Post by Kathy Ellen »

qsducks;1200215 wrote: My house will be smelling like pizza...yes...finally we ordered my fave pizza....I have my aluminum foil ready for hiding pizza in the freezer.:wah:

Hey You:p

Send over a slice. I can't order from my favorite pizza parlor because of you know who...:(:wah: Jasus...he'd probably have a rose in the middle of the pie:wah::thinking:
Odie

House smells

Post by Odie »

Victoria;1199927 wrote: Not to put a damper on things but...

Ive gone off incense after I saw how young girls ofter work terribly long hours in awful conditions exposing themselves to clouds of the dust which fills thier lungs just to produce the incense we like to burn.

I now buy oil diffusers which I get from a fair trade shop in town.

that way I know whoever made the thing I buy got paid a decent wage for it and in decent conditions.

oh now were talking....oil diffusers!:guitarist:guitarist
qsducks

House smells

Post by qsducks »

Kathy Ellen;1200229 wrote: Hey You:p

Send over a slice. I can't order from my favorite pizza parlor because of you know who...:(:wah: Jasus...he'd probably have a rose in the middle of the pie:wah::thinking:

Have you threatened him yet with a protection order? The weirdo...must send Cecelia down...KE she will bite his head off & not even smirk while doing it...nasty thing she can be.:wah:...she went after a kid who picked on Quin not long ago...whew! Kid has since backed off. She's meaner than a junk yard dog:wah:
Oscar Namechange

House smells

minks;1199753 wrote: I burn incense often.
I often get incensed..... does that count?
ZAP

House smells

Post by ZAP »

Kathy Ellen;1200229 wrote: Hey You:p

Do you have an admirer disguising himself as a pizza deliverer? :driving:
qsducks

House smells

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1200265 wrote: I often get incensed..... does that count?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl today I can see it after the elections:yh_rotfl

Zapata;1200282 wrote: Do you have an admirer disguising himself as a pizza deliverer? :driving:
No, she's got some freekin weirdo who can't get the hint...she ain't interested. I'm sending down the meaner than junk yard dog...she'll do more than bite him in the arse:yh_rotfl
ZAP

House smells

Post by ZAP »

qsducks;1200283 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl today I can see it after the elections:yh_rotfl

No, she's got some freekin weirdo who can't get the hint...she ain't interested. I'm sending down the meaner than junk yard dog...she'll do more than bite him in the arse:yh_rotfl

When she's done with that wierdo could ya send her out my way? I've got one of those things myself. Oops, I just saw him come online on Messenger.:rolleyes:
qsducks

House smells

Post by qsducks »

Zapata;1200286 wrote: When she's done with that wierdo could ya send her out my way? I've got one of those things myself. Oops, I just saw him come online on Messenger.:rolleyes:

I'll have her hack his pc...that should take care of it:yh_rotfl
buttercup

House smells

Post by buttercup »

Kathy Ellen;1200183 wrote: I place a bowl of plain, white vinegar anywhere there is an unpleasant smell, and the smell disappears:)

Here's a good site for getting rid of any kind of odor;)

how to get rid of odors with vinegar - Bing

With no lingering smell of vinegar? :-2
joey2000

House smells

Post by joey2000 »

oscar;1199513 wrote: I have to admit, i'm slightly paranoid about my house smelling. It's very difficult to smell your own house.
I think it's almost impossible, even when you have stronger smells in it. This is why I rarely bother with scented candles any more - they smell nice for about 2 seconds, then your sense of smell adjusts and you don't smell it any more - in fact I mostly save it for when someone comes over, not that I "need" to as I keep a clean house, but I know that feeling when you walk into someone's place and it smells "funny" - not bad necessarily, just "off" somehow.
Nomad

House smells

Post by Nomad »

Reed Diffuser

Lasts months and there are a plethora of oils to choose from

Eucalyptus is quite refreshing
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

House smells

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1269904 wrote: Reed Diffuser

Lasts months and there are a plethora of oils to choose from

Eucalyptus is quite refreshing

oh now I really love that look!:guitarist
Kathy Ellen

House smells

Post by Kathy Ellen »

buttercup;1200445 wrote: With no lingering smell of vinegar? :-2

Sorry Buttercup...I just saw this...

Yes, the smell dissipates after a bit.
John955

House smells

Post by John955 »

I am using an air freshener in my house when it stinks. I have a severage problem and produce smell when it flow back. I have repair it so many time but it again disturbs. Also i am looking for its permanent solution.
phiferindia

House smells

Post by phiferindia »

Ohhh... its sounds very dumpy and disgusting here. But useful thread to share some useful tips. Here i have some tips to clean home with good smell regularly. During winter season we have a dump smell in house this is due to Moderate wetted clothes, Wet places, moisture rooms, walls and kitchen and bathroom too. So its better to mop room well until floor and corner gets clean well. Then let it to dry using fan or open the windows at day time where sun lights enters into room. Keep nook and corner of your room with dry. Having pets should almost concentrate and clean its cage. Else all these will turn to increase flies and mosquitos breeds.
Environment friendly [link removed do not put it back] from phiferindia

Return to “Home Management”