India and Homosexuality

Bruv

India and Homosexuality

Post by Bruv »

Pronouncing its eagerly awaited verdict on homosexuality, the Supreme Court of India has criminalised consensual sex between two adults of the same gender.

Strange?

While the rest of the world goes forward...........
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
tude dog

India and Homosexuality

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1442696 wrote: Pronouncing its eagerly awaited verdict on homosexuality, the Supreme Court of India has criminalised consensual sex between two adults of the same gender.

Strange?

While the rest of the world goes forward...........

Uh, from what I read and saw on the video, the high court did no such thing, that being Declares Homosexuality Illegal.

It was the legislature there which made homosexuality illegal.

In our country we had two cases concerning anal sex before our Supreme Court.

Bowers v. Hardwick our USSC properly upheld that there is no Constitutional right to anal sex.

Forget the Constitution, later the Court rules

Lawrence v. Texas

Now what is my point here?

We get this stuff all the time where the lame stream media can't, or will not get it right. Leads me to wonder about this International Business Times
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

India and Homosexuality

Post by LarsMac »

Yup. the question before the Supreme court was whether to overturn the law prohibiting such behavior. The court ruled not to do so.

Interesting though, how they sat on it until the day of the judge's retirement.

The verdict was pronounced by JS Singhvi on the day of his retirement. The verdict had been kept reserved for nine months.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

India and Homosexuality

Post by Wandrin »

It's a little creepy to know that there are still people who demand to know and control what other people do in the privacy of their bedrooms.
LarsMac

India and Homosexuality

Post by LarsMac »

I suspect that if it stayed in the privacy of folks' bedrooms, it would not be an issue.
- DH Lawrence
Arena

India and Homosexuality

Post by Arena »

Help reverse the ignorance.... sign here.....

Avaaz - Dark day for gay rights
gmc

India and Homosexuality

Post by gmc »

the 2009 ruling supposedly consigned it to history. Actually it was the british that made homosexuality illegal Victorians being appalled by that and other sexual practices.

-

Shock victory for reactionary religious forces in India as Supreme Court recriminalises homosexuality

Among the supporters of the challenge was Baba Ramdev, a Hindu “holy man” with a mass following who has fought a long legal battle to maintain the ban on gay sex.

At a press conference following the judgment, Ramdev invited the gay community to his yoga ashram where he said he would “cure them of homosexuality”, which he described as:

Unnatural, uncivilised, immoral, irreligious and abnormal.

He said he would do so by:

Keeping them in a room with a heterosexual for a few days.

Tanuja Thakur, a Hindu spiritual leader, told the Guardian:

When two people of same sex indulge in a physical activity, it goes against nature. And anything unnatural is criminal in nature.

India is a hindu nation - have you read the kama sutra? To fundamentalist christians they are godless heathens.

Yet again it is the religious exerting their right to interfere and dictate in everybody's lives the same has happened in russia. In america it's the same kind of phenpmenon where you have religion fighting a rearguard action to try and get back the control they once had over the people, it anti homosexuality is used to legitimise religious bigotry, they used to apply the same intellectual vigour to inter racial marriage. Next they will be trying to overturn divorce laws - if gay marriage is against god's law then so is divorce you can just hear it coming can't you.

Why do religious people have such a prurient obsession with sex? In particular everybody else's. I don't care what they get up to but believing in god does make you moral no matter how much you might think it does.
Arena

India and Homosexuality

Post by Arena »

It is said that the reason lesbian couples were not included was because Victoria didn't think lesbian sex was feasible!
tude dog

India and Homosexuality

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1442709 wrote: In america it's the same kind of phenpmenon where you have religion fighting a rearguard action to try and get back the control they once had over the people,

Never mind, I'll leave that one alone.

gmc;1442709 wrote: it anti homosexuality is used to legitimise religious bigotry, they used to apply the same intellectual vigour to inter racial marriage. Next they will be trying to overturn divorce laws - if gay marriage is against god's law then so is divorce you can just hear it coming can't you.

That is quite a rant, based on nothing. If anything I would say you are the one bringing bigotry to the table.

gmc;1442709 wrote: Why do religious people have such a prurient obsession with sex?

Actually I would maintain it is the entertainment industry, advertising interests which both saturates America with products appealing to prurient interests.

gmc;1442709 wrote: In particular everybody else's. I don't care what they get up to but believing in god does make you moral no matter how much you might think it does.

Ya all keep yakking about "in the bedroom". If ya all could just keep it there.;)
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
fuzzywuzzy

India and Homosexuality

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I agree with Larsmac, Tudedog ...god help me . :-2

My youngest is experiencing the delights of the sometimes disgusting lust delight of the male kind recently. He came out earlier this year at the age of 14, and gays are beginning to creep him out. He has discovered that sometimes gay men are not really gay men but pedophiles......pretending to be gay men . He would just like a nice boyfriend, but the disgusting words and behaviour of some of these people would make your blood curdle. We simply wouldn't put up with it if it was our daughters.

Yep keep it in the bedroom. There are reasons why we have laws about sexual activity. And it's usually to protect the innocent.
Chloe_88

India and Homosexuality

Post by Chloe_88 »

On homosexuality: Why is the law so worried about what people do in their own bedroom?! it's ridiculous!

There are more worrying things going on on this planet, and they feel the need to interfere with someone's (homo)sexual life?!

If it's men/women fiddeling with kids, well yes interfere, of course! But not with someone's (consensual) (homo)sexual preferences!

"The law" needs to bog off and mind their own business.

With over 7 billion people on this planet, it's not like we need to be straight for mankind to survive now is it.
Arena

India and Homosexuality

Post by Arena »

Quite right Chloe.

Before halfwits start labelling things 'unnatural, they should look up the meaning of the word; 'natural'!!
LarsMac

India and Homosexuality

Post by LarsMac »

Arena;1442886 wrote: Quite right Chloe.

Before halfwits start labelling things 'unnatural, they should look up the meaning of the word; 'natural'!!

OK. Here you go:

nat·u·ral

ˈnaCHərəl/Submit

adjective

existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind.

"carrots contain a natural antiseptic that fights bacteria"

of or in agreement with the character or makeup of, or circumstances surrounding, someone or something.

"sharks have no natural enemies"

born, naturally gifted, untaught More

(of a skill, quality, or ability) coming instinctively to a person; innate.

"writing appears to demand muscular movements that are not natural to children"

synonyms: innate, inborn, inherent, native, instinctive, intuitive; More

antonyms: acquired

(of a person or their behavior) relaxed and unaffected; spontaneous.

"he replied with too much nonchalance to sound natural"

synonyms: unaffected, spontaneous, uninhibited, relaxed, unselfconscious, genuine, open, artless, guileless, ingenuous, unpretentious, without airs More

antonyms: self-conscious, false, affected

occurring as a matter of course and without debate; inevitable.

"Ken was a natural choice for coach"

synonyms: reasonable, logical, understandable, (only) to be expected, predictable More

antonyms: unreasonable

(of law or justice) based on innate moral sense; instinctively felt to be right and fair.

BRIDGE

(of a bid) straightforwardly reflecting one's holding of cards.

(of a parent or child) related by blood.

"such adopted children always knew who their natural parents were"

archaic

illegitimate.

"the Baron left a natural son by his mistress"

MUSIC

(of a note) not sharped or flatted.

"the bassoon plays G-natural instead of A-flat"

(of a brass instrument) having no valves and able to play only the notes of the harmonic series above a fundamental note.

of or relating to the notes and intervals of the harmonic series.

CHRISTIAN THEOLOGY

relating to earthly or unredeemed human or physical nature as distinct from the spiritual or supernatural realm.

noun

noun: natural; plural noun: naturals

a person regarded as having an innate gift or talent for a particular task or activity.

"she was a natural for the sort of television work required of her"

a thing that is particularly suited for something.

"perky musical accompaniment would seem a natural for this series"

MUSIC

a sign (â™®) denoting a natural note when a previous sign or the key signature would otherwise demand a sharp or a flat.

a natural note.

any of the longer keys on a keyboard instrument that are normally white.

a creamy beige color.

a hand of cards, throw of dice, or other result that wins immediately, in particular.

a hand of two cards making 21 in the first deal in blackjack and similar games.

a first throw of 7 or 11 at craps.

FISHING

an insect or other small creature used as bait, rather than an artificial imitation.

archaic

a person born with a learning disability.

adverbinformaldialect

adverb: natural

naturally.

"keep walking—just act natural"

So which of these applies here?
- DH Lawrence
Arena

India and Homosexuality

Post by Arena »

Any.

Very comprehensive and proves all things are natural!
fuzzywuzzy

India and Homosexuality

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Chloe_88;1442870 wrote: On homosexuality: Why is the law so worried about what people do in their own bedroom?! it's ridiculous!

There are more worrying things going on on this planet, and they feel the need to interfere with someone's (homo)sexual life?!

If it's men/women fiddeling with kids, well yes interfere, of course! But not with someone's (consensual) (homo)sexual preferences!

With over 7 billion people on this planet, it's not like we need to be straight for mankind to survive now is it.

i remember the days when it was considered a mans home was his castle . Until of course he was faced with laws that interfered with him abusing or raping his wife. there was an outcry back then, and laws to back it up, that you simply couldn't "rape" your wife. Laws were inacted so police and social services did have a say in what went on in the privacy of ones home.
Arena

India and Homosexuality

Post by Arena »

fuzzywuzzy;1443044 wrote: i remember the days when it was considered a mans home was his castle . Until of course he was faced with laws that interfered with him abusing or raping his wife. there was an outcry back then, and laws to back it up, that you simply couldn't "rape" your wife. Laws were inacted so police and social services did have a say in what went on in the privacy of ones home.

Non sequitur
gmc

India and Homosexuality

Post by gmc »

Chloe_88;1442870 wrote: On homosexuality: Why is the law so worried about what people do in their own bedroom?! it's ridiculous!

The law is what man creates the problem is religious groups that believe the laws of god as they interpret them are superior to those of men.

posted by fuzzywuzzy

i remember the days when it was considered a mans home was his castle . Until of course he was faced with laws that interfered with him abusing or raping his wife. there was an outcry back then, and laws to back it up, that you simply couldn't "rape" your wife. Laws were inacted so police and social services did have a say in what went on in the privacy of ones home

In the laws of god (as interpreted by some ) the woman belongs to the husband and he can do as he wishes, conjugal rights meant the woman could not say no without depriving the man of his entitlement, rape within marriage couldn't exist if you think like that. The rights of a woman to decide who and when she has babies with is a concept some still struggle with.

Jesus doesn't say anything about homosexuality. I'm not sure but I;m fairly sure the hindu religion wasnl;t too bothered either.
fuzzywuzzy

India and Homosexuality

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

What's interesting about this whole topic is, in India a man can walk hand in hand with another without as much as an eyebrow raised, but if a woman and man do it it's creates all kind of mayhem.

Non sequitur

I wouldn't say that . With rules come rights and with rights come rules. You need a premise and a basis to enact and change those rules/laws. India is at the beginning of that process.
Clodhopper

India and Homosexuality

Post by Clodhopper »

1) Why is what homosexuals get up to of any concern or interest to anyone else? You don't HAVE to consent if propositioned, you know! I strongly suspect that many of the most vocal antigays are in fact expressing their fear of what they perceive in themselves.

2) The unnatural bit is completely irrelevant. Flight is also unnatural to humans. As is manipulating species to suit us rather than leaving them to develop as Nature intended. I'm talking about farming of course. Don't hear many religious idiots trying to ban those as being unnatural and not what God intended.

2a) Ban clothes. They aren't natural and are even made of more than one type of fibre in many cases, which is explicitly forbidden in the Bible. Along with shellfish. Shaving and makeup are also unnatural.

3) And while I'm on this unnatural rubbish, there's only one natural position for heterosexual sex. All others should be banned if homosexuality is banned on the grounds of being unnatural. And there are busybodies trying to do just that.

4) Love is love. Doesn't matter in my book whether it's hetero or homo. It's the love that is important.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
fuzzywuzzy

India and Homosexuality

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Clodhopper;1443292 wrote: 1) Why is what homosexuals get up to of any concern or interest to anyone else? You don't HAVE to consent if propositioned, you know! I strongly suspect that many of the most vocal antigays are in fact expressing their fear of what they perceive in themselves.

2) The unnatural bit is completely irrelevant. Flight is also unnatural to humans. As is manipulating species to suit us rather than leaving them to develop as Nature intended. I'm talking about farming of course. Don't hear many religious idiots trying to ban those as being unnatural and not what God intended.

2a) Ban clothes. They aren't natural and are even made of more than one type of fibre in many cases, which is explicitly forbidden in the Bible. Along with shellfish. Shaving and makeup are also unnatural.

3) And while I'm on this unnatural rubbish, there's only one natural position for heterosexual sex. All others should be banned if homosexuality is banned on the grounds of being unnatural. And there are busybodies trying to do just that.

4) Love is love. Doesn't matter in my book whether it's hetero or homo. It's the love that is important.

Nope it's the laws of a contract that is important.
Clodhopper

India and Homosexuality

Post by Clodhopper »

Cynic! :)

Hey, I still believe. It may not be there for me, but it is for others. Two friends of mine are getting it back together after a bad time and it is beautiful to see.:-4 Even though I may have to advertise for a new lodger soon! :wah:
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
fuzzywuzzy

India and Homosexuality

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Clodhopper;1443344 wrote: Cynic! :)

Hey, I still believe. It may not be there for me, but it is for others. Two friends of mine are getting it back together after a bad time and it is beautiful to see.:-4 Even though I may have to advertise for a new lodger soon! :wah:

yeah I'll cop that. New Lodger you say? I'll just round up some money for the plane ticket. :wah:
gmc

India and Homosexuality

Post by gmc »

It's about control and always has been, if you can tell people who they can marry and how to live their lives then you have complete control over them. The amazing thing is that if anyone but the churches was trying to dictate about such a fundamental right we would all tell them to get stuffed.

Return to “Social Human Rights”