Death Row

Discussion group for bereaved parents.This forum offers support, understanding, compassion and hope to bereaved parents, grandparents and siblings struggling to rebuild their lives after the death of their children, grandchildren or siblings.
awood38

Death Row

Post by awood38 »

Here is what happend...

'Jimbo' Ford of Arcadia indicted for murder, rape and robbery

In deaths of Greg and Kimberly Malnory on a secluded sod farm in Northeastern Charlotte County

It took an 18-member Charlotte County grand jury only 30 minutes to indict James Dennis "Jimbo" Ford of Arcadia on Wednesday afternoon with nine counts of first-degree murder, rape, robbery and child abuse in the murders of Greg and Kimberly Malnory.

Assistant State Attorney C.L. Fordham presented the prosecution's case from 9 a.m. until approximately 2 p.m. Wednesday. Before 3 p.m. the jury reached its verdict.

It takes 12 of the 18 jurors to indict a suspect.

According to the indictment, filed with the clerk, Ford is charged with nine felony counts, including: premeditated first-degree murder and felony first-degree murder of Greg Malnory. Similar charges were filed against the defendant for the death of Kimberly Malnory, too.

He was also charged with two counts of robbery in the case of the murdered couple. In addition, Ford faces sexual battery charges for allegedly raping Kimberly.

Finally, he is charged with child abuse for leaving their 23-month-old daughter, Maranda, strapped in a car seat at the murder scene for 20 hours or more.

"If convicted of first-degree murder, there are only two possible sentences, one is death in the electric chair and the other is life without the possibility of parole," Fordham explained. "If convicted of robbery with a firearm the sentence is life with the possibility of parole after 25-years."

The same is true of sexual battery, if Ford is found guilty. He could spend the rest of his life in jail.

According to the indictment against him, robbery was the motive for murdering the young Charlotte County couple. It notes, "... while in the perpetration of ... a robbery Ford murdered Gregory Philip Malnory and Kimberly Ann Malnory by cutting, bludgeoning or shooting."

The indictment added that Ford stole Greg's wallet and money from Kimberly during the attack.

Asked how solid his case was against Ford, Fordham would only say, "I'm very comfortable with this case."

The couple were reportedly friends of the suspect. The afternoon of the murders, Sunday, April 6, the trio and Maranda went fishing on South Florida Sod Inc. land off State Road 31 in the Northeastern part of the county. The couple lived in Ridge Harbor, in the northeastern part of Charlotte County.

The next day a worker at the sod farm found the murdered man and woman lying in their own blood next to their truck near a manmade pond where they had apparently been fishing. The baby was discovered screaming and covered with mosquito bites, strapped in car seat in their pickup.

The couple had been beaten, stabbed and the woman had been shot with a .22-caliber gun. The barrel and receiver of a Remington, single-shot .22 was found near the dead couple. It's stock had apparently been broken when the murderer used the gun as a club on the Malnorys.

A shattered portion of the stock was found along State Road 31, several miles from the murder scene, where Ford reportedly ran out of gas the afternoon of the murders. The stock had "Old Betsy" carved in the wood. Authorities said the gun belonged to Ford and that he and Greg had been using it the day they went hog hunting.

In an effort to get some gas for his truck, Ford stopped by the trailer home of Fransisco Gutierrez who lives near where the gun stock was found floating in a drainage canal. Gutierrez told authorities he had known Ford for about 10 years and that he appeared to be drunk. He also had blood dripping from his forehead and running down his right arm.

Ford told Gutierrez the blood was from a hog he had caught and released.

In addition to the two Charlotte County murders, Ford is also being investigated by the DeSoto County Sheriff's Office in connection with the disappearance of Kelli Krum and her 7-month-old daughter, Kelli, in August 1994. Ford is her first cousin and admits to being one of the last people to see the missing woman and baby.

The Janet Sass murder in 1984 in Arcadia is very similar to the murder of Kimberly Malnory and, as a consequence, is being looked at by DeSoto County detectives, too. The 13-year-old unsolved murder of the 32-year-old woman at her home involved rape, stabbing and bludgeoning with a .22-caliber rifle whose stock was also split from the ferocity of the attack.
Accountable

Death Row

Post by Accountable »

BTS wrote: You got it girl.................. The cruxx of his affliction.........

"As I've made plenty of changes over the years with my life and way of thinking, the only purpose to be served by my execution now would be that of revenge." ~ Ronald Ray Howard, Sr.
Eu de Contraire (pardon my French), Ronnie. The larger purpose would be to show those that look up to you (how deep it that hole?) that you accept the just consequences of your actions. Walking proudly to your execution will speak volumes that you are truly repentent and not just trying to save your own neck.
robinseggs

Death Row

Post by robinseggs »

Wood, thanks for sharing that with us. I am so sorry for your family's tragedy. The details are what make a person angry. Your poor little neice. But now I must ask again...why do you want Ron Howard off death row when you don't want this killer off???? Would it change your mind if you could read exactly what he did to this trooper? Or how his family is dealing with this tragedy now?
Nature laughs Last
awood38

Death Row

Post by awood38 »

robinseggs wrote: Wood, thanks for sharing that with us. I am so sorry for your family's tragedy. The details are what make a person angry. Your poor little neice. But now I must ask again...why do you want Ron Howard off death row when you don't want this killer off???? Would it change your mind if you could read exactly what he did to this trooper? Or how his family is dealing with this tragedy now?

Thanks, I have read the info again and again...I just had some mixed feelings there for a minute. And I still feel bad for him, but know that he is getting what he deserves.
lady cop

Death Row

Post by lady cop »

awood38 wrote: I was not looking for sympathy...you are very judgemental for a police officer.yep---i am damn judgemental about cop-killers. :mad: i've been to a lot of cop funerals. if you have taken my sincere, albiet strongly-worded, advice to stay away from this scumweasel i am glad.
OpenMind

Death Row

Post by OpenMind »

Just as well you spoke up Woody. You could've been on the way to slowly emptying your bank account!
Skeeter

Death Row

Post by Skeeter »

sadly enough if this man had not been put in prison where he was devoid of other things to do he probably would have continued on the same path and not known how to write a book that will make money ....he would still be playing the hate records and hip-hop stuff that destroys young minds....I feel sorry that it came to this but I think that he must die...he really could never again be trusted to be free..
Preach the gospel at all times and if necessary use words..:driving: .a thought home.
robinseggs

Death Row

Post by robinseggs »

awood38 wrote: Thanks, I have read the info again and again...I just had some mixed feelings there for a minute. And I still feel bad for him, but know that he is getting what he deserves.

I understand...I think we all feel mixed up sometimes about different things. I think you sound like a very feeling person. You may also be trying to find some kind of peace over what happened to your cousin. Sometimes people will find peace by forgiving the enemy. Maybe in this case you were trying to make amends in your heart by indirectly forgiving another killer (not your cousin's)??? I can see how you could heal yourself, but truly it would be temporary. Befriending someone in prison (a killer) could cost you your life someday and you could be manipulated in ways you never thought possible. Just be very careful...have you thought about planting a garden or creating a memorial for your cousin/wife?
Nature laughs Last
awood38

Death Row

Post by awood38 »

Associated Press

Oct. 6, 2005

HUNTSVILLE — Convicted killer Ronald Ray Howard was executed today for fatally shooting a Texas state trooper, a slaying his trial attorneys argued was prompted by Howard listening to anti-police rap music.

Asked if he had a final statement, Howard looked at the trooper's widow, daughter and brother and said he hoped "this helps a little. I don't know how, but I hope it helps."

Then he turned to friends and a brother who were among his witnesses, expressing love and thanking them for locating two of his young children, who visited him on death row within the past week. "Love you all. Thank you so much," he said.,

As the drugs were administered, he lifted his head from the gurney and mouthed that he loved them, urged them to be strong and said "I'm going home."

Twelve minutes later, he was pronounced dead.

The widow and daughter, who were standing next to the window, hugged and kissed as he slipped into unconsciousness.

Howard, 32, was executed for gunning down Texas Department of Public Safety Officer Bill Davidson, 43, during a traffic stop 13 years ago outside Edna, about 100 miles southwest of Houston.

The execution was the 14th this year in Texas, the nation's most active capital punishment state. The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles earlier this week unanimously refused Howard's request that his death sentence be commuted to life.

"It helps knowing the son of a bitch got what he deserved," Linda Davidson, the trooper's widow, describing Howard as the "judge, jury and executioner" of her husband. "Today justice has been served. It's real frustrating the wheels of justice turn very slowly."

In an interview Wednesday at death row, Howard recalled the trooper pulling him over on U.S. Highway 59, apparently for a broken headlight.

"How you doing?" Davidson asked the then 18-year-old Howard, who was armed with a 9 mm pistol.

"But I was already in motion," Howard said. "I'd already shot as I hear him saying that."

Davidson, father of two and on the force for 19 years, died three days later of a gunshot wound to the neck. Howard was captured within hours of the slaying after a police chase that ended in nearby Victoria when he wrecked the stolen SUV he was driving, crashing it into a house, and tried to run away on foot.

Howard said the trooper earlier had pulled along side of him, sped off, then was waiting over a hill on the side of the road as Howard drove past, flicked on his lights and pulled him over.

"I felt like I was being taunted," Howard said, adding that his previous encounters with police, particularly in his hometown of Houston, soured him on police officers.

"All my experiences with police have never been good, whether I've been doing something bad or not. That's what I think played a major part. I assumed that this wasn't going to be a good experience either."

Defense lawyers argued at his trial that Howard's constant exposure to gangsta rap music and its anti-police messages influenced him to pull the trigger.

"He grew up in the ghetto and disliked police and these were his heroes, these rappers ... telling him if you're pulled over, just blast away," his trial attorney, Allen Tanner, recalled last week. "It affected him. That was a totally valid serious defense."

Howard told a grand jury he was listening to Soulja's Story by Tupac Shakur before he shot Davidson. The song makes references to a young black male being pulled over by police, remembering Rodney King, then opening fire on an officer.

"I'm not a psychologist," Howard said Wednesday. "So I don't know. I never said: Yes it did or no it didn't. I don't know. But my lawyers thought it could have caused it. And they were trying to justify, put reason, for what I did."

At the time of the April 1992 shooting, the 18-year-old father of four was on probation for burglary. He acknowledged Wednesday stealing "a lot of cars" but said it was the normal activity for kids in his part of Houston.

"When you think about people on death row, you think of monsters, non-sociable people who can't help but hurt other people. That's not who I am," he said.

Jurors in Austin, where Howard's trial was moved because of publicity in Jackson County, needed just 40 minutes to convict the self-admitted drug dealer and seventh-grade dropout. The same panel, however, deliberated six days before deciding he should die.

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals overturned Howard's death sentence in 1996 because a potential juror improperly was eliminated from the jury pool. At a second trial in Corpus Christi in 1999, Howard again was sentenced to die.

In last-day appeals, David Dow, with the Texas Innocence Project, argued in the federal courts Howard was abandoned by a previous court-appointed attorney who failed to file proper appeals.

Dow was appointed to the case within the past few days and argued without a reprieve, there wasn't enough time for his team to write a petition seeking review of the case.

Howard was one of three Texas inmates with execution dates this month. At least six are scheduled for November and another in December.
Peg

Death Row

Post by Peg »

lady cop wrote: yep---i am damn judgemental about cop-killers. :mad: i've been to a lot of cop funerals. if you have taken my sincere, albiet strongly-worded, advice to stay away from this scumweasel i am glad.

I've got to say it. I'll probably get bashed but I HAVE to say it. This just drives me insane. I can understand why this would hit close to home for you LC, BUT no matter what his occupation, the person murdered is still dead. A garbage man's, doctor's, fast food worker's, bartender's, etc. life is no less valuable than a cop's. They are still dead and their families lives changed forever.
abbey

Death Row

Post by abbey »

awood38 wrote: Associated Press

Oct. 6, 2005

HUNTSVILLE — Convicted killer Ronald Ray Howard was executed today for fatally shooting a Texas state trooper, a slaying his trial attorneys argued was prompted by Howard listening to anti-police rap music.

How do you feel, awood38?
lady cop

Death Row

Post by lady cop »

Peg wrote: I've got to say it. I'll probably get bashed but I HAVE to say it. This just drives me insane. I can understand why this would hit close to home for you LC, BUT no matter what his occupation, the person murdered is still dead. A garbage man's, doctor's, fast food worker's, bartender's, etc. life is no less valuable than a cop's. They are still dead and their families lives changed forever.i know we've touched on this before. i have no sympathy for any murderer. and i know a bunch of them. who the victim is/was is of no consequence if they are murdered. they were a person, a human. but yes, i do have a particular heartache for police and fire who are gunned down on the front lines, they are trying to save/protect the lives of the public. :-1
venus

Death Row

Post by venus »

I watched a programme on tv recently other brits may have caught it. It was about women who marry, are in love with, write too and start relationships with men on death row!!!!

I mean HELLO what you think he's the kind of man to take home to meet your mother, he can't leave the jail you dimwit...

They spend thousands on flying back and forth one poor woman bought him... and b herself engagement rings about 20 yrs age difference (she was older) and no offence she was no Mona Lisa...

When she went to visit again with the rings in tow he wouldnt see her... She was saying to the people filming it, l dont think he is writing to other women and seeing them also... Duh as if love wake up and smell the coffee..:-5

they want money and someone to whilke away the time with until justice is served and they go on the last long walk!
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
DesignerGal

Death Row

Post by DesignerGal »

I know I am going to get blasted for saying this but I think I can kind of understand some difference between this Ford fellow and the Ray Howard guy, just a different perspective for you to chew on. Ford, it seems, was a repeat killer and rapist, and I havent heard anything about him in jail which only leads me to believe that he is just hanging out, lifting weights, eating fried chicken, whatever, while this Ray Howard guy, killed once (Im not minimizing it, its still murder, just making a small point so just hear me out) and then went on to do something to give back like reaching out to these kids in the projects or where ever. Im not a good writer so I hope this point is taken how I mean it.

Also, Im not so sure that I believe in the death penalty. Someyimes I do, and for others I dont think its th right consequence. I mean, when those Snipers were out up here, I was terrified. Everyone was. I walkd my dog with an old Army helmet on, and I think the older guy should be sentenced to death. And let me add, fortunatley, I have not had to face such a tragedy in my family, so who knows, maybe one day I will change my mind about the death penalty entirely. Just my thoughts....

My heart goes out to you AWOOD. Im really sorry. You are in my prayers. But LC is right, these guys dont need letters from us. They need to sit there alone and reflect on the horrible thing(s) they have done.

HBIC
Accountable

Death Row

Post by Accountable »

DesignerGal wrote: [...]Ford, it seems, was a repeat killer and rapist, and I havent heard anything about him in jail which only leads me to believe that he is just hanging out, lifting weights, eating fried chicken, whatever, while this Ray Howard guy, killed once (Im not minimizing it, its still murder, just making a small point so just hear me out) and then went on to do something to give back like reaching out to these kids in the projects or where ever. Im not a good writer so I hope this point is taken how I mean it.[...]
It's good that he does what he can while he's on death row. Don't you agree that one of the best things he can do for those kids he's trying to help is to take his just punishment like a man?
DesignerGal

Death Row

Post by DesignerGal »

Accountable wrote: It's good that he does what he can while he's on death row. Don't you agree that one of the best things he can do for those kids he's trying to help is to take his just punishment like a man?

I guess. I just wanted to make the point that I believe there is no black and white. There are shades of gray. Mr Howard is still a murderer and if Texas thinks that he deserves to die for what he's done, then yes, he should take it like a man. But I did want to point out the difference is that he attempted to do something constructive (according to some) while Mr Ford killed repeatedly and is now just living off of our tax dollars until it's "lights out" for him too.

HBIC
awood38

Death Row

Post by awood38 »

My heart goes out to you AWOOD. Im really sorry. You are in my prayers. But LC is right, these guys dont need letters from us. They need to sit there alone and reflect on the horrible thing(s) they have done.

Thank you, that was my thoughts also.
Uncle Fester

Death Row

Post by Uncle Fester »

Personally I am against the Death Penalty, to me it seems to be a long drawn out affair in the USA where the condemned can stretch the appeals system for many years and does seem a little cruel after the that leangth of time.

When we had the death penalty in the UK it was done after 3 clear Sundays after the sentence was passed or after the appeal,there were too many innocents sent to the gallows that is why I am against it but I do wish we had the same life sentence in the UK as you do in the states where life means life

IF YOU CAN'T SAY GOOD ABOUT SOME ONE , KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT

Did you know that too much chocolate shrinks your clothes

http://www.theparanormalcrypt.org/portal.php

Return to “Bereaved Parents”