12 Horrible Gobbledygook Words We Reluctantly Accepted

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
tabby

Post by tabby »

“She liked the word “ineffable” because it meant a feeling so big or vast that it could not be expressed in words. And yet, because it could not be expressed in words, people had invented a word to express it, and that made Liesl feel hopeful, somehow.” - Lauren Oliver from “Liesl & Po”

New words enter our vocabularies sometimes by our own design but most times quite by chance through various forms of media, cultural slang, business buzzwords and the like. One day you’ve never heard the word then the next day there it is again ... and again ... until suddenly you’re using it as though you’ve known it all along. New becomes commonplace and old words sometimes fade away.

This article lists 12 words that are common today but caused consternation in some circles when first foisted upon the world by necessity or perhaps only by a creative thinker but for whatever the reason, they stuck and we use them today.

12 Horrible Gobbledygook Words We Reluctantly Accepted | Mental Floss

Are you a word purist or do you welcome slang and buzzwords into your vocabulary easily enough? Are there any new words or phrases used today that really bug you and that you'd like to see fall by the wayside? Any that you particularly enjoy using and wish you’d known all along because they’re so appropriate & expressive?

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

tabby;1420619 wrote: “She liked the word “ineffable” because it meant a feeling so big or vast that it could not be expressed in words. And yet, because it could not be expressed in words, people had invented a word to express it, and that made Liesl feel hopeful, somehow.” - Lauren Oliver from “Liesl & Po”

New words enter our vocabularies sometimes by our own design but most times quite by chance through various forms of media, cultural slang, business buzzwords and the like. One day you’ve never heard the word then the next day there it is again ... and again ... until suddenly you’re using it as though you’ve known it all along. New becomes commonplace and old words sometimes fade away.

This article lists 12 words that are common today but caused consternation in some circles when first foisted upon the world by necessity or perhaps only by a creative thinker but for whatever the reason, they stuck and we use them today.

12 Horrible Gobbledygook Words We Reluctantly Accepted | Mental Floss

Are you a word purist or do you welcome slang and buzzwords into your vocabulary easily enough? Are there any new words or phrases used today that really bug you and that you'd like to see fall by the wayside? Any that you particularly enjoy using and wish you’d known all along because they’re so appropriate & expressive?

This might drive Spot crazy.

Effable, ineffable, yup there is a difference.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

My Mother used to get quite tounge tied particually when exasperated.

I remember her once ordering her cat to stop ' scumpering' about.... what ever scumpering was but we all use It now.

Discombobulated Is a wonderful word especially In a discombobulated Kerrfuffle type way.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Who knew donate wasn't a real word?:yh_glasse
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tabby, you are so interesting! I love learning stuff like this, thanks!
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

They were very cranky back in the 1800s, weren't they?

"Nuculer" bugs the crap out of me. I wasn't even sure I was spelling it correctly, it grates on my eyes as well as my ears.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

SnoozeAgain;1420664 wrote: They were very cranky back in the 1800s, weren't they?

"Nuculer" bugs the crap out of me. I wasn't even sure I was spelling it correctly, it grates on my eyes as well as my ears.

No such word this side of the pond - we speak English like what she was meant to sound like, like!
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

It was a Bushism (as in George W) and the lovely and intelligent Sarah Palin continues its use.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

ditto

The same

The word "ditto" is commonly used as a way of saying "me too", or "I agree".

'Ditto' comes from Latin, and means about 'as has been said before'.

Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Here are some modern words & phrases that recently made it into the dictionary. Some of them are unfamiliar to me and some of them I hear often these days. I'm a great sufferer of earworm, using its second usage ... all these years and I had no idea it had a name!

Meet the Dictionary's New Words: F-Bomb, Sexting, Bucket List - Entertainment - The Atlantic Wire
tabby

Post by tabby »

Here are 18 obsolete words that the author feels should still be in our vocabularies. I agree ... they're perfectly good words! My own laptop is guilty of resistentialism at times. I've never lunted although sometimes I jirble my coffee in the morning and who doesn't like a snoutfair?

18 obsolete words, which never should have gone out of style | Death and Taxes
tabby

Post by tabby »

7 Words that Came About from People Getting Them Wrong | Mental Floss
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

On a personal note I'd like to see everyone who uses the word 'gobsmacked' have to scrub their mouth out with a wire brush! Bit extreme but such a horrible word.;)
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Taking some examples from the past two hundred years is interesting. Reminds me of high school having to endure Shakespeare's Julius Caesar.

For anyone interested there is a great BBC documentary called "The Adventure of English." There is the book by Melvyn Bragg, The Adventure of English: The Biography of a Language

As much as I loved the BBC series on it, reading the book is a lot like keeping and interest in Leviticus.

BIRTH OF A LANGUAGE

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
tabby

Post by tabby »

It looks interesting, TD, thanks for the tip-off!
tabby

Post by tabby »

As you wend you way through the day, I hope no one runs roughshod over you but if they do, try not to take umbrage!

12 Old Words that Survived by Getting Fossilized in Idioms | Mental Floss
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Imladris;1430191 wrote: On a personal note I'd like to see everyone who uses the word 'gobsmacked' have to scrub their mouth out with a wire brush! Bit extreme but such a horrible word.;)

I use that word all the time whilst expressing a state of physical and mental shock.

A wire brush you say?

Well I'm GOBSMACKED
tabby

Post by tabby »

12 Lonely Negative Words ~~~~~> 12 Lonely Negative Words | Mental Floss
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Yup thats what I thought it meant.

4. INEFFABLE

(Via French from Latin in- ‘not’ + effāri ‘to utter’)

Ineffable—something "that cannot be expressed or described in language"—can breathe a lonely wordless sigh. Its partner doesn’t come around much any more. Effable once meant "sounds or letters, etc. that can be pronounced." It is used only rarely to mean "that which can be, or may lawfully be, expressed or described in words," or as a snickery double entendre:

She: Are you dumping me? What went wrong?

He: I can’t explain. It’s ineffable.

She: Are you saying I’m not f—able?

Read the full text here: 12 Lonely Negative Words | Mental Floss

--brought to you by mental_floss!
tabby

Post by tabby »

YZGI;1441194 wrote: Yup thats what I thought it meant.

Be careful how you use it then! :yh_rotfl
tabby

Post by tabby »

They don't include any explanations for the eventual turnarounds in meaning but it's still interesting to see the evolution of language. It's ever fluid!

27 Words That Used To Mean Something Totally Different

Return to “The Coffee Shop”