James Swanson Books

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
tabby

James Swanson Books

Post by tabby »

"Bloody Crimes: The Chase for Jefferson Davis and the Death Pageant for Lincoln's Corpse" ~~~~~> Bloody Crimes: The Chase for Jefferson Davis and the Death Pageant for Lincoln's Corpse: James L. Swanson: 0971487762470: Amazon.com: Books

I just finished reading the book "Bloody Crimes" and it was very interesting! I read James Swanson's book "Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer" last year and I was happy to get a hold of this recent work of his having greatly anticipated it. "Manhunt" was well researched, well written and gripping. My favorite version of these events is still Philip Van Doren Stern's 1939 "The Man Who Killed Lincoln: The Story of John Wilkes Booth". I found it in a used book store and its been what I compare all other books on the subject to ever since. Mr. Swanson gave Philip Stern a run for his money though and I expected "Bloody Crimes" to be equally as good.

No disappointments! Again, it was extraordinarily well researched, fair and hard to put down. I don't know what his plans are for another book but I would love to see him tackle the subject of Mary Surratt, her son's flight to Canada and the possible Montreal connections of the assassins. Go for it, James!

"Manhunt" ~~~~~> Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer (P.S.): James L. Swanson: 9780060518509: Amazon.com: Books
LarsMac

James Swanson Books

Post by LarsMac »

Thanks for the recommendation. I will pick it up.

Speaking of Mary Surratt, did you see the film, "The Conspirator" ?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

James Swanson Books

Post by tabby »

No, I didn't and wasn't aware of it until you mentioned it. It's now on my "Wish List", thanks! :)

Return to “The Library”