Typhoon Haiyan.

A forum to discuss local issues in Asia, Africa, and the rest of the world.
jones jones

Typhoon Haiyan.

Post by jones jones »

Its a week on since the above devastated large sections of the Philippines. According to reports some half a million people have been displaced. The actual death toll is still being calculated.

International aid to this archipelago of 7,107 islands appears at first glance to be on track with even China chipping in with like $1.6 million. According to Captain Google it seems as if a gazillion gazillion bucks in aid of sorts has been sent to them.

Watched Sky New today and according to their "on the spot" reporter who interviewed some Philippine citizens, they have no food, no water, no fuel, no shelter and most likely no hope of ever receiving any.

The national economy of the Philippines is the 41st largest in the world, with an estimated 2013 gross domestic product (nominal) of $272.207 billion. So they not like your "average" third world country.

Now far be it for me to be critical but into whose pockets/coffers has all the aid gone?
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
fuzzywuzzy

Typhoon Haiyan.

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

You know it's close to home and I've sat back and wondered when anyone in the northern hemisphere was going to mention it. It's taken a week and I've lost a bet ... bugger.

I wouldn't be so hard on them . Nobody can get to them . Their main airport is wiped out . There were accusations of on the ground government and authority not responding quick enough........Well they're dead too. Out of 200 police officers in one city only 21 turned up the next day.......It kind of tells you something does it not? there are no roads left...towns totally wiped out....bodies everywhere. They have been hauling people out rather than dropping supplies in because it's just too hard to do ...And there are many many Islands where there are no living persons on them anymore.

And get used it folks, cause this kind of weather is coming to a town near you :) and when you call out for help? It aint coming.

Return to “Other Regions”