10 Breeds of Dogs That Are not Trendy

Discussions about your pets!
tabby

Post by tabby »

I'm somewhat familiar with most of these and I thought some were fairly common like the cockapoo & labradoodle. One or two were in fact new to me like the Canis Panthera. I'd hate to have one of those mad at me! :yh_ooooo

I think the Shiloh Shepherd and the Estrela Mountain dog are both gorgeous.

10 Breeds of Dogs That Are not Trendy ~ The Nature Animals
theia

Post by theia »

They're all rather gorgeous, aren't they, tabby?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I liked the shepherds.
tabby

Post by tabby »

I was scanning the classifieds in the paper yesterday and came across an ad for Karakachan puppies. I had to google them as the name was new to me and oh they're beautiful dogs!

Take a look ~~~~~> https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sit ... HLL4AVrs7w

Here's a little history on Wikipedia ~~~~~> Karakachan dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

When I bought Mulder In 1998, his sire had walked off with Crufts Best of Breed and his Dam runner up... again In 1999... the truth was, the Kennel Club had only just recognised them as a pedigree breed and there was no competition on the scene... now they're everywhere and by all accounts very popular In the USA.

They are spirited terriers, fearless and sassy with minds of their own.

Behavioral Traits

Parsons exhibit many classic terrier traits including excessive barking, willfulness, rudeness to strangers, dog aggression, possessiveness and jealousy. Proper training and socialization from an early age can ensure an even-tempered dog.

Parsons should never be trusted off leash. They will take off like a shot after small animals and it is next to impossible to call them off.

Parson Russell Terrier | Temperament & Personality

Yep... never again !!
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
tabby

Post by tabby »

oscar;1438884 wrote: When I bought Mulder In 1998, his sire had walked off with Crufts Best of Breed and his Dam runner up... again In 1999... the truth was, the Kennel Club had only just recognised them as a pedigree breed and there was no competition on the scene... now they're everywhere and by all accounts very popular In the USA.

They are spirited terriers, fearless and sassy with minds of their own.

Behavioral Traits

Parsons exhibit many classic terrier traits including excessive barking, willfulness, rudeness to strangers, dog aggression, possessiveness and jealousy. Proper training and socialization from an early age can ensure an even-tempered dog.

Parsons should never be trusted off leash. They will take off like a shot after small animals and it is next to impossible to call them off.

Parson Russell Terrier | Temperament & Personality

Yep... never again !!

lol ... but they're so cute ... (famous last words!)

I've never owned one but they sound like quite a handful!!
Oscar Namechange

tabby;1438885 wrote: lol ... but they're so cute ... (famous last words!)

I've never owned one but they sound like quite a handful!!

He'll be 16 In April Tabby....and although stone deaf and slight failing eyesight, he's still a nightmare of the leash. I recently lost his partner In crime to old age, Scully at 15 years old and with the younger Jack Russell, walks were nothing but shame.

Ironically, my husband turned to me last night and said ' one day we'll be saying how we miss Mulder's barking and digging up the garden'....

Only last week, I rather went without a cigg because he was lying on them on the sofa... far safer not to attempt to move him.

Next time I'll go for rescue again... I've spent 15 years with a whirling dervish prone to extremely selective hearing.

The key to a happy Parson Is exercise but then I've walked 12 miles with him before through the countryside only to have a ball thrown at me the minute we get back In the house.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
tabby

Post by tabby »

When you take in a rescue animal, will you specify any particular types or breeds of dogs/cats or will you take whatever needs you at the moment?
Oscar Namechange

tabby;1438999 wrote: When you take in a rescue animal, will you specify any particular types or breeds of dogs/cats or will you take whatever needs you at the moment?

I've had rescue all my adult life Tabby. It was only 15 years ago that my husband thought better to buy puppies and start from scratch. Mulder and Scully were both 8 weeks when we got them but the younger Jack Russell, Rosie Is rescue. We only took her because she was due to go to the Kill shelter the next morning and the little bugger wormed her way Into our affections.

All of my rescue's over the years have been difficult with behaviour problems, down to previous owners of course, not the dog. I used to take them on a rehabilitation basis and then could never part with them.

As Mulder will be 16 In April, It's fact, he won't be with us forever so upon his passing we have decided to offer older dogs a home. So many are destroyed because shelters can't afford to keep them and no-one wants a 10 year old dog but we'd like to give a loving home to older dogs In their last years.
Arena

Post by Arena »

If you want a pet dog that is

friendly & loving

good with kids

doesn't shed hair all over the shop

isn't very big

May I recommend an Italian Greyhound
tabby

Post by tabby »

oscar;1439005 wrote: I've had rescue all my adult life Tabby. It was only 15 years ago that my husband thought better to buy puppies and start from scratch. Mulder and Scully were both 8 weeks when we got them but the younger Jack Russell, Rosie Is rescue. We only took her because she was due to go to the Kill shelter the next morning and the little bugger wormed her way Into our affections.

All of my rescue's over the years have been difficult with behaviour problems, down to previous owners of course, not the dog. I used to take them on a rehabilitation basis and then could never part with them.

As Mulder will be 16 In April, It's fact, he won't be with us forever so upon his passing we have decided to offer older dogs a home. So many are destroyed because shelters can't afford to keep them and no-one wants a 10 year old dog but we'd like to give a loving home to older dogs In their last years.

I think that's wonderful & I know our local SPCA would love to have you work with them!
tabby

Post by tabby »

Arena;1439065 wrote: If you want a pet dog that is

friendly & loving

good with kids

doesn't shed hair all over the shop

isn't very big

May I recommend an Italian Greyhound

I was somewhat familiar with them, just by sight mainly and found this for more info ~~~~~> Italian Greyhound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not in the market for another dog right now but I always have a keen interest in them and enjoy seeing different breeds. I've had more mixed breeds over the years than pure breeds and love them all!
Arena

Post by Arena »

I see you are in the USA Tabby. I understand there are a lot of Iggy's (Italian Greyhounds) on the rescue list in some states, as they race them and abandon them when they are past it.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Arena;1439076 wrote: I see you are in the USA Tabby. I understand there are a lot of Iggy's (Italian Greyhounds) on the rescue list in some states, as they race them and abandon them when they are past it.

Arena, I know that's true of the standard (larger) greyhound but I didn't know it was also true of the Italian greyhounds. They say that although the greyhounds exhibit such speed in racing, they're actually fairly low key and calm as pets. And love the couch!!
tabby

Post by tabby »

I saw two russian wolfhounds yesterday in a compact car! One seemed to casually fill the entire backseat and the other one sat with more dignity in the front passenger seat. They were gorgeous! I think they knew it.

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”