Brazilian President's United Nations speech: Spying

Týr

Post by Týr »

This is a part of Dilma Rousseff's speech to UN General Assembly yesterday regarding US espionage directed against the national interests of sovereign nations. It's well worth discussing in the light of President Obama's incompetent support this week for "American Exceptionalism".

Recent revelations concerning the activities of a global network of electronic espionage have caused indignation and repudiation in public opinion around the world.

In Brazil, the situation was even more serious, as it emerged that we were targeted by this intrusion. Personal data of citizens was intercepted indiscriminately. Corporate information – often of high economic and even strategic value – was at the center of espionage activity. Also, Brazilian diplomatic missions, among them the Permanent Mission to the United Nations and the Office of the President of the Republic itself, had their communications intercepted.

Tampering in such a manner in the affairs of other countries is a breach of International Law and is an affront to the principles that must guide the relations among them, especially among friendly nations. A sovereign nation can never establish itself to the detriment of another sovereign nation. The right to safety of citizens of one country can never be guaranteed by violating fundamental human rights of citizens of another country.

The arguments that the illegal interception of information and data aims at protecting nations against terrorism cannot be sustained.

Brazil, Mr. President, knows how to protect itself. We reject, fight and do not harbor terrorist groups.

We are a democratic country surrounded by nations that are democratic, pacific and respectful of International Law. We have lived in peace with our neighbors for more than 140 years.

As many other Latin Americans, I fought against authoritarianism and censorship, and I cannot but defend, in an uncompromising fashion, the right to privacy of individuals and the sovereignty of my country. In the absence of the right to privacy, there can be no true freedom of expression and opinion, and therefore no effective democracy. In the absence of the respect for sovereignty, there is no basis for the relationship among Nations.

We face, Mr. President, a situation of grave violation of human rights and of civil liberties; of invasion and capture of confidential information concerning corporate activities, and especially of disrespect to national sovereignty.

We expressed to the Government of the United States our disapproval, and demanded explanations, apologies and guarantees that such procedures will never be repeated.

Friendly governments and societies that seek to build a true strategic partnership, as in our case, cannot allow recurring illegal actions to take place as if they were normal. They are unacceptable.

Brazil, Mr. President, will redouble its efforts to adopt legislation, technologies and mechanisms to protect us from the illegal interception of communications and data.

My Government will do everything within its reach to defend the human rights of all Brazilians and to protect the fruits borne from the ingenuity of our workers and our companies.

The problem, however, goes beyond a bilateral relationship. It affects the international community itself and demands a response from it. Information and telecommunication technologies cannot be the new battlefield between States. Time is ripe to create the conditions to prevent cyberspace from being used as a weapon of war, through espionage, sabotage, and attacks against systems and infrastructure of other countries.

The United Nations must play a leading role in the effort to regulate the conduct of States with regard to these technologies.

For this reason, Brazil will present proposals for the establishment of a civilian multilateral framework for the governance and use of the Internet and to ensure the effective protection of data that travels through the web.

Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

An excellent speech - it said what it needed to in a succinct and measured way and proposed a positive outcome. Many politicians could learn from it.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

It will be interesting to see the response.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Wandrin;1436631 wrote: It will be interesting to see the response.

The worst thing they could do is to ignore him - that would damage them more than anything else.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I think it is a crying shame that we have reached the point where we need other governments of the world to try and protect our freedoms for us and them.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Recent revelations concerning the activities of a global network of electronic espionage have caused indignation and repudiation in public opinion around the world.

Naive. Friends & Enemies have spied on each other throughout history, modern technology doesn't make it more sinister.

eta--

Friendly governments and societies that seek to build a true strategic partnership, as in our case, cannot allow recurring illegal actions to take place as if they were normal.

It is normal. It was always normal.
Týr

Post by Týr »

AnneBoleyn;1436654 wrote: Friends & Enemies have spied on each other throughout history, modern technology doesn't make it more sinister.

Perhaps you'd like to offer an example or two of friendly states spying on each other before, say, 1900.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Ssshhh! Top Secret. If I tell you, I'd have to kill you.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Europe (I'm thinking now 16th Century, which I think of a lot anyway) wasn't always at war within itself. There were times of peace, times of religious allegiances which made allies of some when formerly there might have been less in common; there was court life & foreign diplomats galore who would find information to share at home with their particular rulers. Call it curiosity or desire for information or the need to "stay on top of things", whatever, it is still spying.

Your friend now can be a nudnick later. Best to know what's really going on. Spying.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AnneBoleyn;1436654 wrote: Recent revelations concerning the activities of a global network of electronic espionage have caused indignation and repudiation in public opinion around the world.

Naive. Friends & Enemies have spied on each other throughout history, modern technology doesn't make it more sinister.

Naive - spying has always gone on, the complaint was over the sheer scale of what has been done and its indiscriminate nature.

AnneBoleyn;1436654 wrote:

eta--

Friendly governments and societies that seek to build a true strategic partnership, as in our case, cannot allow recurring illegal actions to take place as if they were normal.

It is normal. It was always normal.

That you see it as normal is disturbing - it is immoral, illegal and unacceptable, thus the statement you are commenting on.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bryn Mawr;1436666 wrote: Naive - spying has always gone on, the complaint was over the sheer scale of what has been done and its indiscriminate nature.

That you see it as normal is disturbing - it is immoral, illegal and unacceptable, thus the statement you are commenting on.

The sheer scale is due to technology.

Saying something is normal does not imply my consent. It's normal for human society whether I like the sheer scale of it or not.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Does she suppose Brazil is not spying?:thinking:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

flopstock;1436636 wrote: I think it is a crying shame that we have reached the point where we need other governments of the world to try and protect our freedoms for us and them.
^^ This! ^^

Bryn Mawr;1436666 wrote: That you see it as normal is disturbing - it is immoral, illegal and unacceptable, thus the statement you are commenting on.
^^ and This! ^^

Return to “Current Events”