Youtube question

For technical issues relating to ForumGarden and its associated pages.
Snooz

Youtube question

Post by Snooz »

Does it use any FG bandwidth when we insert youtube videos or "hotlink" photobucket pictures?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Youtube question

Post by Bryn Mawr »

SnoozeAgain;1436280 wrote: Does it use any FG bandwidth when we insert youtube videos or "hotlink" photobucket pictures?

Hmm, I'll defer to Spot on this one. My understanding is that Photobucket does but YouTube does not but I cannot support that statement with any rational argument.
Snooz

Youtube question

Post by Snooz »

I'm being told that having photos or embedded youtube videos slows down page loads on a forum. Maybe for dial-up users but does anyone use dial-up anymore? I understand that gifs are annoying if you have a slow connection but photos? I had never noticed nor heard that before.

In any case, I quit that forum. She was closing threads that were a week old to be "tidy". Sheesh.
Snooz

Youtube question

Post by Snooz »

Just took a peek in and the "random" thread I had started that was a whopping six pages long has been deleted and a new thread put up explaining how she's limiting the length of threads to keep the forum speed up.

What? Is that really a thing?
LarsMac

Youtube question

Post by LarsMac »

Probably depends on the server hardware, and what kind of bandwidth the server has available.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Youtube question

Post by Wandrin »

Embedding a Youtube video should not increase the server's bandwidth. The Youtube servers are actually streaming the video. Only the short HTML string holding the embedding code is handled by the local server.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Youtube question

Post by Bryn Mawr »

SnoozeAgain;1436320 wrote: Just took a peek in and the "random" thread I had started that was a whopping six pages long has been deleted and a new thread put up explaining how she's limiting the length of threads to keep the forum speed up.

What? Is that really a thing?

Tombstone used to close threads at thirty thousand posts to prevent them hitting the performance so it must help :-)
Snooz

Youtube question

Post by Snooz »

I could see if there were 5,000 posts on a thread but we're talking about maybe 45. Uptight German librarian, I don't think she really liked having people messing up her neat little forum.
Snooz

Youtube question

Post by Snooz »

Yet she's got threads like this:

Add/removed/change a letter

Pages:

Aye yi yi.

Okay, I'm done. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Return to “Problems, Solutions Feedback”