Do dogs sleepwalk?

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
ronquinn99@gmail.com

Do dogs sleepwalk?

Post by ronquinn99@gmail.com »

12 year old black lab mix, good health annual vet visits, obviously old guy. He has started waking up in the middle of the night and opening a sliding patio door. he then gives himself a shake and lies down in front of the door (a place he regularly hangs out because it is shaded most of the day), he doesn't go to the washroom. He has recently progressed (regressed) to attempting to get out of the gate which he never does. you give a quick go to bed and he settles down. left alone one day and he couldn't slide the door open due to it being locked and he was in a bit of an anxiety/panic attach when we got home. doing it about three months, no other explanation as he has never even tried to open door before, usually just taps it with paw if he needs to go.
gmc

Do dogs sleepwalk?

Post by gmc »

They dream so I see no reason why they would not also sleepwalk on occasion.
Oscar Namechange

Do dogs sleepwalk?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

More likely, he Is over-heating at night and needs to cool down.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
along-for-the-ride

Do dogs sleepwalk?

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
gmc

Do dogs sleepwalk?

Post by gmc »

That's what I mean, I've seen mine run like that while sleeping - although never actually gut up to do it which isn't to say it hasn't I've just not been there at the time. - and occasionally howl which is a bit startling. Even pups do it. We had one that had been mistreated as a pup that used to sometimes cry in it's sleep.

Reminds me of these arguments about whether dogs are self aware. No they don't dream cos they're dogs or no they are not self aware because they are animals.

Return to “Pets Animals”