The Devil's Tower.

jones jones

The Devil's Tower.

Post by jones jones »

Oficially the Devil's Tower is described thus: "It is an igneous intrusion or laccolith in the Black Hills near Hulett and Sundance in Crook County, north eastern Wyoming, above the Belle Fourche River. It rises dramatically 1,267 feet (386 m) above the surrounding terrain and the summit is 5,114 feet (1,559 m) above sea level."

(See First Reply)
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
jones jones

The Devil's Tower.

Post by jones jones »

Personally I much prefer this ....

According to the Native American tribes of the Kiowa and Lakota Sioux, some girls went out to play and were spotted by several giant bears, who began to chase them. In an effort to escape the bears, the girls climbed atop a rock, fell to their knees, and prayed to the Great Spirit to save them. Hearing their prayers, the Great Spirit made the rock rise from the ground towards the heavens so that the bears could not reach the girls. The bears, in an effort to climb the rock, left deep claw marks in the sides, which had become too steep to climb. (Those are the marks which appear today on the sides of Devils Tower.) When the girls reached the sky, they were turned into the star constellation the Pleiades.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
AnneBoleyn

The Devil's Tower.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I liked when Richard Dreyfus carved this out of his mashed potatoes!

Return to “United States”