Plants Are Just Like People.

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Okay, I guess this is gonna sound so weird … but I can’t help thinking it may be real.

I have always believed that everything that has life has a life force within it. Human, animal, bird, plant, flower or tree.

I mean how does the plant, shrub or flower in your garden know when it’s Spring so that it starts sprouting new leaves, new foliage and new blooms. How do birds know when to fly south? How does the bear know when to hibernate? They never been to school or read a book so are they smarter than us earthlings?

I have a tree in my front garden … it has kinda reddish black leaves and I think it may be from Australia. Be that as it may. When there is no wind this tree seems to like slump as if it has no energy at all … but when the wind blows it appears to be dancing and almost throwing itself around like it is ecstatically happy!

At times like this when I go out into the garden … yes I do talk to my plants … and I ask: “You just love the wind don’t you? … then it seems to move/blow in my direction so that its branches touch me, almost as if its saying: “You got it man!”

I can only imagine what it must be like to spend time in a forest of very ancient trees that have been around for hundreds of years. How they must be able to communicate with us if only we took the time to listen instead of just hearing!
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I saw some fascinating shows on our Public Broadcasting Station:

The Secret Life of Plants

The Secret Life of Plants | Inside NOVA | PBS

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-secr ... of-plants/

What Plants Talk About

Video: Full Episode

Watch What Plants Talk About Online | Video: Full Episode | Nature | PBS

Enjoy!
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I also saw one that shows plants behaving altruistically toward their "sibling" plants. This was astounding!

NOVA | Plants with Family Values
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

When a giraffe begins eating the leaves of an acacia tree, the tree sends out a warning to other trees near it (via pheromones). When other trees receive the message, they increase the tannin level in their leaves, making them unpalatable. In addition to warning the others, the tree being eaten increases its own tannin level.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Wandrin;1433871 wrote: When a giraffe begins eating the leaves of an acacia tree, the tree sends out a warning to other trees near it (via pheromones). When other trees receive the message, they increase the tannin level in their leaves, making them unpalatable. In addition to warning the others, the tree being eaten increases its own tannin level.

This is not done "consciously", but instinctively, right, in order to preserve the species? Or what would this actually be?
Harry12

Post by Harry12 »

I would reckon that it is not an emotion or a feeling, but rather (as AnneBoleyn mentioned) a way to help preserve the species. I think plants and animals sometimes focus more on the ‘greater good’ than on the themselves. I do love this example though and I wonder if we have other measured and established examples.
The Best UK Sheds and Garden Furniture: [Link removed by Moderator]

Return to “Gardening Forum”